Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

BaseballPCHiker posted:

People may remember me bitching about marketing changing my job title to DevOps Tech despite me not doing anything related to that. Guess what is apparently? SHAREPOINT!!!!

#1 I've never administered or setup a sharepoint environment in my life. I've worked at places that have lovely setups but I know nothing about it. I'm pretty much just starting from scratch knowledge wise here.
#2 Work is refusing to pay for any training on it. They would "let me" expense a book from Amazon to learn.
#3 We need Sharepoint up and running for some lovely sales app by the middle of the year.

All of that combined with some other recent bullshit, like no longer letting me come in 10 minutes early and leave 10 minutes early so I dont have to wait 20 minutes for a bus, and some other petty poo poo has me looking for jobs now.

I think I want to go the MSP route or as contract employee somewhere just to broaden my experience a bit.

loving RUN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

People may remember me bitching about marketing changing my job title to DevOps Tech despite me not doing anything related to that. Guess what is apparently? SHAREPOINT!!!!

#1 I've never administered or setup a sharepoint environment in my life. I've worked at places that have lovely setups but I know nothing about it. I'm pretty much just starting from scratch knowledge wise here.
#2 Work is refusing to pay for any training on it. They would "let me" expense a book from Amazon to learn.
#3 We need Sharepoint up and running for some lovely sales app by the middle of the year.

All of that combined with some other recent bullshit, like no longer letting me come in 10 minutes early and leave 10 minutes early so I dont have to wait 20 minutes for a bus, and some other petty poo poo has me looking for jobs now.

I think I want to go the MSP route or as contract employee somewhere just to broaden my experience a bit.

Sharepoint requires one thing to prevent it from becoming a soul-sucking piece of poo poo that everyone hates to use.

That one thing is a skilled sharepoint administrator. You don't sound like a skilled sharepoint administrator. Everyone, including yourself, will be miserable.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
For those who followed my newegg order shipping to the wrong address Saga from a week or two back, I did manage to get the server picked back up and returned for an RMA.

However now I have to shop for a deal on a server again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bigass Moth posted:

For those who followed my newegg order shipping to the wrong address Saga from a week or two back, I did manage to get the server picked back up and returned for an RMA.

You bought a *server* from NewEgg? :haw:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Well it was an HP home "server" in that it used a xenon processor.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thats the plan. Updated my resume and started posting it around online.

ConfusedUs posted:

Sharepoint requires one thing to prevent it from becoming a soul-sucking piece of poo poo that everyone hates to use.

That one thing is a skilled sharepoint administrator. You don't sound like a skilled sharepoint administrator. Everyone, including yourself, will be miserable.

I brought this up to management. If we want to implement sharepoint it's going to require someone knowledgeable full time. That person right now is not me. I'm more than willing to learn but send me off to training and lets not rush it.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

AT&T is having call connection issues in the DFW area. Somehow I am supposed to fix this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bigass Moth posted:

Please contact a VAR. Don't use consumer purchasing sites for business hardware.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I brought this up to management. If we want to implement sharepoint it's going to require someone knowledgeable full time. That person right now is not me. I'm more than willing to learn but send me off to training and lets not rush it.

I would say you shouldn't be willing to learn Sharepoint. Not all knowledge has a net benefit. Some is just costly. I really like my job now, but would rather quit than having to invest a significant amount of time into Sharepoint.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bigass Moth posted:

Well it was an HP home "server" in that it used a xenon processor.

Desktop using Xenon is usually called a work station.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pixaal posted:

I assume it's a mini-server Proliant, not a repurposed desktop.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Skandranon posted:

I would say you shouldn't be willing to learn Sharepoint. Not all knowledge has a net benefit. Some is just costly. I really like my job now, but would rather quit than having to invest a significant amount of time into Sharepoint.

This guy gets it.

Suggest that since your team does not have anyone with sharepoint knowledge that you instead use sharepoint online.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

No it's cool, rename your MSSQL instance name without letting us know. Oh, you are having database connection issues now? Dunno why, we sure didn't change anything on our end, wonder what it could be?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Probably a micro server or bottom end proliant model usually includes a Xeon E3 cpu, RAM tops out at 16 or 32 gb and RAID controller only supports RAID 0 or 1.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

pixaal posted:

poo poo pissing my inner pedant off: XEON

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thanatosian posted:

If this is for Washington State, they're looking for people to give them priority in the recreational retailer licensing; if you were working at a medical seller and they hire you, they get priority.

It's in Canada, but I get where you're coming from. The funny thing is just how they stated it, like CANNABIS is Java or XML or something. I applied for it mostly as a joke to see what they're up to.

I'm eaaaaasing back into the work world after 10 years of high pressure/low reward ecommerce startup work, and then mostly putzing around for a year. The landscape's definitely changed but the ridiculous requirements certainly haven't. I'm more used to running >$100 million/yr properties with more than 100,000 products, I'm sure I'm qualified to work on your 50 SKU coffee product site Mr Unnamed Potential Employer despite not having 5+ years experience in Magento (which has only existed for 7 years).

There was actually a really sweet job paywise, but they wanted experience in >COLD FUSION<, which ironically I have (Cold Fusion was actually relatively okay before PHP 3 came and stole their lunch) but don't want to inflict on myself. I'm amazed it's still around, owned by Adobe now apparently. I used to have an autographed T Shirt from JJ Allaire back in the 90s because I reported a (really big) bug in it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I don't know, I'd love to give certain users xenon based computers, because it's useful as an anesthetic.

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

Sickening posted:

Please contact a VAR. Don't use consumer purchasing sites for business hardware.

We just use eBay.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
poo poo pissing me off today: Trusted Lync Apps.

Since the hunt groups/response groups in lync suck poo poo we bought a 3rd party solution so our call center (relatively small, 30 people) can take tech support calls and have an interactive waiting queue (callback, keep place in line, "you're #45 in queue" kind of poo poo).

When they set it up, some brain surgeon decided that doing an AD import to the phone book was a 'waste of time' so he entered all 30 users by hand.

Fast forward to today: We now want to use the same system for our front desk.

Problem: Everyone she's going to transfer to needs to be in the phone book on the server.
Problem 2: Since users were entered by hand we can't do an AD import now.
Problem 3: Every single user that joins the company now has to be added to the loving phone book on this server after being added to AD.

:negative:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DigitalMocking posted:

Since the hunt groups/response groups in lync suck poo poo we bought a 3rd party solution so our call center (relatively small, 30 people) can take tech support calls and have an interactive waiting queue (callback, keep place in line, "you're #45 in queue" kind of poo poo).

When they set it up, some brain surgeon decided that doing an AD import to the phone book was a 'waste of time' so he entered all 30 users by hand.

Problem: Everyone she's going to transfer to needs to be in the phone book on the server.
Problem 3: Every single user that joins the company now has to be added to the loving phone book on this server after being added to AD.

always always use AD integration even if it seems like a waste of time in the immediate, it will save hours of stupid poo poo later. It sounds like this wasn't your decision, but now you pay the price for it :(

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MF_James posted:

always always use AD integration even if it seems like a waste of time in the immediate, it will save hours of stupid poo poo later. It sounds like this wasn't your decision, but now you pay the price for it :(

AD imports aren't even a waste of time compared to 30 hand-made entries, even if it's just their names. The guy just clearly had no idea how to interpret the AD Import instructions and wrote it off as "slow and difficult".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DigitalMocking posted:

Why can't you just blow away the existing 30 names and do an AD import?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

ConfusedUs posted:

As someone using a Sharepoint environment administered by someone who was in BaseballPCHiker's position but didn't run, I loving loathe Sharepoint.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Kakesu posted:

We just use eBay.

This came out in an interview I had over a year ago, the director was proud of the fact that they had purchased their cx380 emc San secondhand on eBay, didn't have a support contract, and continued to purchase replacement parts on eBay.

It also came out that their planned new San replacement just "didn't make the budget" this year.

When their HR guy called a couple of days later to make me an offer, I didn't even let him get to the compensation part before telling him I was no longer interested.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kakesu posted:

We just use eBay.

I feel like this is telling someone "I have genital warts" in a situation where you don't really need to.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

devmd01 posted:

This came out in an interview I had over a year ago, the director was proud of the fact that they had purchased their cx380 emc San secondhand on eBay, didn't have a support contract, and continued to purchase replacement parts on eBay.

It also came out that their planned new San replacement just "didn't make the budget" this year.

When their HR guy called a couple of days later to make me an offer, I didn't even let him get to the compensation part before telling him I was no longer interested.
A couple years ago I worked at a place where they purchased all their Dell desktops and laptops out of the back of some guy's car. They'd make an order, meet at a Starbucks, and hand over a check.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kakesu posted:

We just use eBay.

I waned to replace some 7 year of servers. Old boss forwarded me some pc liquidator email and said find some servers I liked. They were two generation old HP's

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Inspector_666 posted:

I assume it's a mini-server Proliant, not a repurposed desktop.

Yes it was a proliant for personal use, not commercial.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

I waned to replace some 7 year of servers. Old boss forwarded me some pc liquidator email and said find some servers I liked. They were two generation old HP's

I have stacks of dl380 G6s here. Come on over.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

pixaal posted:

Life skills isn't a thing any more. It was gone well before I graduated in 06. That is the job of the parents not the school, they can't afford valuable teaching time on that stuff! My health class was actually pretty reasonable on the drug / sex thing but I don't think most states are up to Massachusetts standards in that regard. Really think my classmates could have benefited from life skills. I've seen a few working poo poo jobs and barely afford to be able to pay for anything close to going broke because credit cards are hard.

If the problem is not enough is taught teach critical thinking and general computer skills in the class too. Maybe co-worker interaction recommendations as well. You know make them valuable office employees.

My health class was taught by a hardcore Christian with Ned Flander mustache :cripes:. This was California too, it's almost like he got hired for that job specifically to obstruct and finagle the curriculum. Luckily he didn't seem too biased, but I could tell he wasn't playing it completely straight either.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 23, 2016

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I work in Clinical Informatics. Desktop support came by to drop off and connect my new Surface Pro 3 + docking station. Sweet.

Almost 5 hours later, they were still trying to get it working. There were two desktop support guys at my desk trying to figure out why they couldn't get anything to display on the two external monitors. They blamed it on drivers, firmware, docking station, faulty wiring etc... I stayed out of their way because I didn't want to be "that guy". Eventually they just gave up for the day and said they were going to do some "testing in their lab with the surface pro".

They left, I sat down and figured I'd try my hand at getting it working. Took a look behind the monitors, and surprise, they had the display cables plugged into the OUT port on both monitors. I plugged the cables into the correct port and VOILA, I have a fully functioning environment. I'm not a terribly bright guy but how do you not check the most basic of steps first?

I wasn't too pissed about not having my desk for 5 hours but I was pissed that they left everything a mess when they gave up for the day.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Hughmoris posted:

I work in Clinical Informatics. Desktop support came by to drop off and connect my new Surface Pro 3 + docking station. Sweet.

Almost 5 hours later, they were still trying to get it working. There were two desktop support guys at my desk trying to figure out why they couldn't get anything to display on the two external monitors. They blamed it on drivers, firmware, docking station, faulty wiring etc... I stayed out of their way because I didn't want to be "that guy". Eventually they just gave up for the day and said they were going to do some "testing in their lab with the surface pro".

They left, I sat down and figured I'd try my hand at getting it working. Took a look behind the monitors, and surprise, they had the display cables plugged into the OUT port on both monitors. I plugged the cables into the correct port and VOILA, I have a fully functioning environment. I'm not a terribly bright guy but how do you not check the most basic of steps first?

I wasn't too pissed about not having my desk for 5 hours but I was pissed that they left everything a mess when they gave up for the day.
"Oh, I know why the DVI cable won't fit, it's because you're using the wrong type of DVI cable for the port on the back of your monitor. You see, there's several different kinds and they're not always interchangable, so you'll have to use the VGA instead."

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

poo poo pissing me off: MDM on windows 10 blows compared to 8.1. Same profile that can be used in 8.1 and 10 doesn't apply and now I have to open a ticket with airwatch to see what the gently caress is wrong.

Which means a email tag of a day or two and then a random phone call.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Good god. Setting up OpenCart as a favour for a friend, post-install config keeps crapping out for some reason. Turns out that the randomly generated password (generated by opencart) can have ampersands in it, and the database login string (also made by opencart) doesn't escape it properly when building connection info:
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/3185

So just to finish the install on this I had to go into two different php files and correct two very basic mistakes. Not filling me with confidence. Thank god I only have to install it, not actually setup/maintain it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Don't you mean XENA, warrior processor?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

I'm not a terribly bright guy but how do you not check the most basic of steps first?

On one hand that seems like a rookie mistake but I've also never seen monitors with a DVI out before

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mewse posted:

On one hand that seems like a rookie mistake but I've also never seen monitors with a DVI out before

I haven't seen it before either. Its is a Dell monitor with two DisplayPorts, IN and OUT.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Hughmoris posted:

Trust me, we hate spending all day on poo poo simple poo poo like this too. He'll probably want to post in a thread like this when he finds out.

mewse
May 2, 2006

One of our worst people once called in because they couldn't get a projector working and after significant troubleshooting the tech discovered they were connecting the VGA port from the projector to the VGA port from a monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Good god. Setting up OpenCart as a favour for a friend, post-install config keeps crapping out for some reason. Turns out that the randomly generated password (generated by opencart) can have ampersands in it, and the database login string (also made by opencart) doesn't escape it properly when building connection info:
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/3185

So just to finish the install on this I had to go into two different php files and correct two very basic mistakes. Not filling me with confidence. Thank god I only have to install it, not actually setup/maintain it.

FYI the person running opencart is a straight up rear end in a top hat who antagonizes security researchers, so when people find things they tend to release it 0-day. There's a "community edition" of it that seems to be run by people who know not to bite the hands that feed them.

I'd advise not running opencart if your friend doesn't want to get hacked.