Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Majorian posted:

This would suggest that Islam, in and of itself, isn't really the problem here, though. There are other cultural, historical, and social factors at play, as you seem to acknowledge here. One of those is likely the fact that Somalia has been the dictionary definition of a failed state since the 80's, with a civil war that hasn't stopped for thirty years.

I'm saying broadly the failure of a group to integrate into society, and the negative results of that are not society's fault. I'm not sure what factors exactly set the Muslim, Arab, North-African populace of Europe aside from mainstream society, only that it has lead to violence perpetrated by members of that group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Is there a point you'd like to make?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Do you perhaps think, maybe, just maybe, that the fact they have moved from their original home, thousands of miles, to a different country, might show a slight desire to integrate?
Desire to escape one place doesn't necessarily mean a desire to embrace another.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

the trump tutelage posted:

Desire to escape one place doesn't necessarily mean a desire to embrace another.

Then perhaps they should consider where they are escaping to, or think about returning to a place they can embrace.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

isn't amy chua the tiger mom woman?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm saying broadly the failure of a group to integrate into society, and the negative results of that are not society's fault.

It's probably not accurate to completely say that one party does or doesn't bear full responsibility, full stop, though. This is a super complicated dynamic we're talking about here. Western societies rarely set out to do an imperfect job of integrating non-Western immigrants; no one's claiming any malice, as far as I can tell.

Let's shift the focus back to Molenbeek for a second - The Atlantic had a good piece on Islamism in Belgium in the aftermath of the Paris attack:

quote:

In particular, Belgian jihadism is concentrated in Molenbeek. It’s a neighborhood of nearly 100,000 people in Brussels, northwest of the city center, which has had a large Muslim population for many years. There are 22 known mosques in the district. Molenbeek shares some characteristics with the banlieues in French—densely populated, large immigrant populations, very high unemployment, complaints of inadequate government services, isolation from the central city and corridors of power.

quote:

“Daily life in Molenbeek works well—but that’s maybe what has fooled us: that in ordinary life, there are no difficulties,” [Françoise] Schepmans, the mayor, said. “And next to that, there are people living in the shadow. And we have left them living in the shadow. We didn’t ask ourselves the right questions.”

Phlegmish is right that the municipal government has tried to help immigrant populations integrate, but it would seem that many of these programs have barely scratched the surface (per The Atlantic's CityLab):

quote:

Behind the facades, however, Molenbeek has been in trouble for years. Poverty levels are high, and street and drug crime are common. With a reputation for gun crime, the media started calling it “Chicago on the Senne” (a reference to the Brussels river) as early as 2010.

These problems go hand-in-hand with a bleak outlook for residents. Local Muslims, who form 25 to 30 percent of the area’s population, talk in particular of limited educational and economic opportunities, as well as employment discrimination. As of January this year, 350 Belgian residents are known to have joined ISIS in Syria—a minuscule fraction of the country’s Muslims, but nonetheless more per capita than any other state in Europe.

This trend can in part be explained (albeit, of course, not justified) by conditions in places like Molenbeek. As one young man told Le Monde:

“Please understand that if lots of young people have left for Syria, it’s above all because no one’s ever paid them any attention, until these fanatics gave them the impression that at last they were going to truly exist. Me, I study and I speak French, Arabic and Dutch. But to look for a job I give the address of a friend, who doesn’t live in Molenbeek.”

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

shrike82 posted:

isn't amy chua the tiger mom woman?

Yes, she is.

From Wikipedia on the book in question posted:

According to the preface, the authors find that "certain groups do much better in America than others—as measured by income, occupational status, test scores, and so on— [which] is difficult to talk about. In large part this is because the topic feels racially charged." [1][page needed] Nevertheless, the book attempts to debunk racial stereotypes by focusing on three "cultural traits" that attribute to success in the United States.

At best this book sounds like some sort of "Just world" bullshit and at worst is probably just "race realism".

EDIT:

Wiki again posted:

Following her widespread fame with Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother in 2011, Chua wrote this book with her husband Rubenfeld after observing a more prevalent trend of students from specific groups achieving better academic results than the rest. For example, a striking demographic pattern that more Mormon students in Yale are emerging than a couple years ago. According to an interview conducted by Harry Kreisler from the Institute of International Studies, UC Berkeley, the authors explained such phenomenon prompted them to “look further into how those groups perform outside of school, and come to a conclusion that for some reasons, those groups have a tendency to experience most upward social mobility than others.” [2]

HMMMMM. Rich Mormons at a prestigious, expensive school do better in society than other groups!? WHAT A CONUNDRUM!

Crain fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 23, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/712689204308926465

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

So not a refugee.

Although I'm sure the right wing will spin it into: HE SNUCK INTO TURKEY PRETENDING TO A 4 YEAR OLD GIRL REFUGEE BUT TURKEY WAS TOOOOOOOOO SMART FOR THAT AND SENT HIM BACK BUT LIBERALS IN BELGIUM PICKED HIM UP IN A GOLD PLANE AND BROUGHT HIM BACK!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Crain posted:

So not a refugee.

Although I'm sure the right wing will spin it into: HE SNUCK INTO TURKEY PRETENDING TO A 4 YEAR OLD GIRL REFUGEE BUT TURKEY WAS TOOOOOOOOO SMART FOR THAT AND SENT HIM BACK BUT LIBERALS IN BELGIUM PICKED HIM UP IN A GOLD PLANE AND BROUGHT HIM BACK!

That blind spot wouldn't exactly be surprising, unfortunately.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Crain posted:

So not a refugee.

The article you didn't read posted:

One of the men who carried out Tuesday’s bomb attacks in Brussels was arrested in Turkey last year and deported, but Belgium ignored warnings that he was a “foreign fighter,” Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said Wednesday.

The Turkish president was quoted by news agencies and Belgian media as saying that one of the attackers — whom he did not name — was detained at Gaziantep on the Turkish border with Syria last June. The following month, according to Associated Press, Turkey notified Belgian authorities of his deportation.

“Despite our warnings that this person was a foreign terrorist fighter, Belgium could not establish any links with terrorism,” Erdoğan was quoted as saying by AP.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
well, he went to syria on tourism

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Where does it way he went into Turkey or Belgium pretending to be a refugee?

I read the two paragraph article and stand by my statement.

EDIT: Furthermore the man in question was deported BACK TO EUROPE. He was another European radicalized militant, not the boogeyman of militants hiding in the crowds of refugees.

Crain fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 23, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Given that Belgium wasn't able to establish a link between this individual and any terror groups, what, do you think, would have been the appropriate thing to do?

(not asking snarkily, I'm genuinely asking what your opinion is)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The end goal of multiculturalist Liberals and assimilationists is ultimately the same, which is the westernization of immigrants. The latter is at least honest about their intentions. There's something insidious about, on the one hand, claiming you value multiculturalism and ethnic expression, and on the other, trying to engineer society to induce a multicultural/ethnic expression that's more palatable to Western, Liberal morality. You can't talk about reforming structural inequalities specifically as an antidote to radicalization, without also talking about Westernizing Islam.

e.
"If we give you a bigger stake in Western society, then you'll see how inappropriate and problematic your beliefs are. This kebab is delicious by the way."

I'm perfectly fine with infecting everyone with insidious westernization :colbert: The more insidious the better.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Pluskut Tukker posted:

I fully agree with this. But you can argue that exclusion and discrimination are problems at the same time that you can argue integration is turning out to be problematic. Or maybe we should ditch the concept of integration entirely and just focus on making sure people get an education, find jobs, are able to form a family, and let the rest sort itself out.

The problem is that the traditional cultural practices of these immigrant groups are too abhorrent for Europeans to be expected to tolerate their continuation within the borders of the country in which they live. For example, when extreme and publicly visible forms of patriarchy are practiced, the rights and status of all women in the country suffer collateral damage.

Doomtalker posted:

I think we're getting awfully close to "Final Solution" reasoning here. For centuries, Jews in Europe were an "other" because they dressed differently, had different laws, frequented mostly Jew owned businesses, etc. That was a big part of the origins of anti-Semitism. We all know how that turned out.

Holy loving :godwin: . This may be the most "Al-Aqsa avatar" post in the entire thread (by which I mean fetishistic orientalism and apologia for extremists), and that's saying something.

The end goal of multiculturalist Liberals and assimilationists is ultimately the same, which is the westernization of immigrants. The latter is at least honest about their intentions. There's something insidious about, on the one hand, claiming you value multiculturalism and ethnic expression, and on the other, trying to engineer society to induce a multicultural/ethnic expression that's more palatable to Western, Liberal morality. You can't talk about reforming structural inequalities specifically as an antidote to radicalization, without also talking about Westernizing Islam.

e.
"If we give you a bigger stake in Western society, then you'll see how inappropriate and problematic your beliefs are. This kebab is delicious by the way."

Their beliefs actually are problematic though. How does it help anyone to pretend that they aren't? And if you think the beliefs in question that are causing so much contention (which have nothing to do with loving food and thank you for at least tacitly acknowledging that, in contrast to the likes of SedanChair) aren't inappropriate and problematic, my honest and sincere recommendation to you is to get a plane ticket and go join Da'ish so as to hasten your death as much as possible.

Majorian posted:

If this were accurate, radical Islamism would be considerably more widespread than it is, and would cut across a wider swath of demographics than it actually does. As it stands, it's pretty clear that people who are recruited into Islamist terrorist groups are predisposed to being radicalized.

This is a misleading metric if you are only considering people who have actively joined a terrorist organization and plan to personally participate to be "radicalized". I, personally, see little difference between the ~50% of the Islamic world that accepts the death penalty as a just punishment for apostasy and stoning as a punishment for adultery and actual members of terrorist organizations, philosophically and politically speaking.

So please stop playing definitional games and trying to exclude the vast swaths of certain Muslim populations that hold these beliefs from the umbrella of "radical Islam". When most people in the west speak of "radical Islam", they are including the populations that silently sympathize with terrorist goals or cheer and celebrate when an act of mass-murder is perpetrated against secularists.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/europe-travel-alert.html

Apparently all of Europe is dangerous now. I'm so glad the State Department is here to advise us!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DarkCrawler posted:

btw. just because there isn't a national racist policy doesn't mean that minorities aren't made to feel different by individual racists. I'm pretty sure that can cause some dudes to snap and be drawn to a percieved community.

So, when you're in a position to influence policy, you can either deal with how people feel, or with systemic processes. Systemic processes one can measure objectively in order to determine validity; how do you determine whether one's feelings are valid? Surely, you can agree that the feeling of the terrorists in Belgium whom committed these henious acts of murder have no validity. Do those same feelings held by individuals who have yet to commit acts of terror hold validity? How can you measure invalid feelings in a manner which ensures survey validity, statistical significance, and replicability?

Majorian posted:

It's probably not accurate to completely say that one party does or doesn't bear full responsibility, full stop, though. This is a super complicated dynamic we're talking about here. Western societies rarely set out to do an imperfect job of integrating non-Western immigrants; no one's claiming any malice, as far as I can tell.

Let's shift the focus back to Molenbeek for a second - The Atlantic had a good piece on Islamism in Belgium in the aftermath of the Paris attack:

Phlegmish is right that the municipal government has tried to help immigrant populations integrate, but it would seem that many of these programs have barely scratched the surface (per The Atlantic's CityLab):

If individuals feel that they lack services, the solution is for those individuals to organize appropriate and sustainable institutions to provide those services for themselves. Not murder.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Majorian posted:

Given that Belgium wasn't able to establish a link between this individual and any terror groups, what, do you think, would have been the appropriate thing to do?

(not asking snarkily, I'm genuinely asking what your opinion is)

You are looking at this issue incorrectly; it wasn't that Belgium 'wasn't able to establish a link', they 'failed to establish a link' - Turkey had strong enough evidence to deport him, and the Belgium security apparatus failed in their screening.

Order of events:

Man is picked up on Turkey/Syrian border trying to enter Turkey as a foreign fighter, deported from Turkey.
Belgium receives the deportee, they cannot establish any links, allow the man into the country.
Man commits a terrorist attack.

We can presume that the man in question was already radicalized by the time he was in Syria, and that Turkey's initial assessment was correct.

Why did the Belgium security apparatus find Turkey's assessment incorrect? What are the differences in the standards of judgement here? At the very least, as someone who has just traveled to Syria, I think the man in question should have been kept on surveillance, which might have led to this cell being discovered before the attacks could have been launched. I don't know enough to say that he wasn't under surveillance, but if he was, the surveillance also obviously failed.

In short, Belgium needs better counter terrorism operations and better security profiling. I am entirely positive that before this attack the political will for that was not present, and I am equally sure that after the attack, there will be a call for both of those things to be upgraded.

So, what I would have done is presumed my ally Turkey, a country which is trying to join the EU, has dealt with a massive wave of recent terror attacks, and has a large shared border with Syria, knows what it is talking about in regards to saying 'This man is a foreign fighter in Syria, he is dangerous.' I don't think the man should have been rendered stateless by Belgium refusing his deportation, but maybe Belgium needs some kind of de-radicalization support program, or at the very least tracked his movements and associations.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Liberal_L33t posted:

Their beliefs actually are problematic though. How does it help anyone to pretend that they aren't? And if you think the beliefs in question that are causing so much contention (which have nothing to do with loving food and thank you for at least tacitly acknowledging that, in contrast to the likes of SedanChair) aren't inappropriate and problematic, my honest and sincere recommendation to you is to get a plane ticket and go join Da'ish so as to hasten your death as much as possible.
I think you're misunderstanding me.

My broader point is that we are already always engaged in a process of cultural imperialism and assimilation, even if its insidious soft pressure like rewarding the Westernized immigrants with better access to jobs, disenfranchising the less integrated, making consumerism more appealing, etc. And it's not always soft pressure -- lots of Liberals hate female circumcision and extrajudicial Shariah courts, and justified the Iraq invasion along womens rights lines. So this notion that any country has any respect for anything but a pre-approved, Westernized form of Islam is complete bullshit. But a lot of people like to pretend that multiculturalism is real in practice, and dance around implementing concrete programs to help people integrate (ie. assimilate (ie. abandon their culture and adopt ours)).

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 23, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I think you're misunderstanding me.

My broader point is that we are already always engaged in a process of cultural imperialism and assimilation, even if its insidious soft pressure like rewarding the Westernized immigrants with better access to jobs, disenfranchising the less integrated, making consumerism more appealing, etc. And it's not always soft pressure -- lots of Liberals hate female circumcision and extrajudicial Shariah courts, and justified the Iraq invasion along womens rights lines. So this notion that any country has any respect for anything but a pre-approved, Westernized form of Islam is complete bullshit. But a lot of people like to pretend that multiculturalism is real in practice, and dance around implementing concrete programs to help people integrate (ie. assimilate (ie. abandon their culture and adopt ours)).

Socializing people within your borders is not cultural imperialism, just like asking a guest to remove his shoes before stepping on your nice carpet isn't cultural imperialism.

I agree with you if your broader point is that there is a double think regarding the Western approach towards the role and place of immigrant cultures in society, and this doublethink essentially keeps people from instituting an effective policy one way or another that could lead to a better integration, since every time you lean towards one, the other also surfaces.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 23, 2016

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So FGM is cool and good in Western countries because...? Imperialism?

I'll take whatever the Islamic equivalent of Chinese Food is. Diet Islam.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Don't be obtuse; the Western world propped up dictatorships all throughout the Islamic world during and after the Cold War.

There's no halfway honest accounting of the history of post-war American involvement in other countries that doesn't conclude that the treatment Southeast Asia and Latin America received from the US was vastly worse than what the Muslim world suffered. You need to take a revisionist accounting of history where any sort of American support for a Middle Eastern government becomes America sustaining a puppet dictator and where American intervention on behalf of Muslim nations is elided.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

But there's a difference between Westernizing Islam on Muslims' own terms, and Westernizing Islam on someone like Sam Harris' terms, don't you think? Right now, the message that a lot of Western Europeans is, "You can't be 'one of us' (French, Belgian, Dutch, German, etc) unless you fundamentally change important, essential things about yourself and your culture." That's not a very good way to make an out-group feel like it has a stake in society, especially when you're telling them that they can't even do relatively harmless things like wear a hijab. (and yes, I understand that that's France's bucket of poo poo, not Belgium's)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Read from the bottom up.

That Turkey saw this person as a "foreign fighter," but Belgium didn't, is something that's going to need to be examined really closely.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Frosted Flake posted:

FGM is not related to Islam. It exists in non-Islamic countries in a certain region and is absent in Islamic countries outside of the region.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

It was cool reading an article saying that Syrian refugees in Brazil thought Brazilian Muslims were weirdoes for eating cake after prayer in mosques and being socially liberal

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Volkerball posted:

Read from the bottom up.

That Turkey saw this person as a "foreign fighter," but Belgium didn't, is something that's going to need to be examined really closely.
38,000 terrorist sleeper agents in Europe confirmed.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/AP/status/712719419227635712

oh good

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Insect Court posted:

There's no halfway honest accounting of the history of post-war American involvement in other countries that doesn't conclude that the treatment Southeast Asia and Latin America received from the US was vastly worse than what the Muslim world suffered. You need to take a revisionist accounting of history where any sort of American support for a Middle Eastern government becomes America sustaining a puppet dictator and where American intervention on behalf of Muslim nations is elided.

I, too, have never heard of this Saddam Hussein. Or the Shah. Or the House of Saud.

Seriously, not only did we prop up horrific regimes in the ME for the duration of the Cold War, we continue to do so.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It was cool reading an article saying that Syrian refugees in Brazil thought Brazilian Muslims were weirdoes for eating cake after prayer in mosques and being socially liberal

Some of the other refugees in Brazil loving loved the Brazilian Muslims and it sure sounds like the folks there have done a pretty good job of integrating. :3: I probably do tend to have an assimilationist bent but I am delighted by all the stories of immigrants and refugees working well with their new societies, and have a hobbyist interest in figuring out policies to make that go better.

I don't think it'll ever be relevant to my professional life unless one of the recommendations is "prioritize maintenance on roadways in immigrant-heavy areas".

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 23, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Literally nobody here has argued that FGM is excusable. Knock this poo poo off please.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Stoke enough fear that airline tickets and hotel prices will go down, goddamnit!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

I, too, have never heard of this Saddam Hussein. Or the Shah. Or the House of Saud.

Seriously, not only did we prop up horrific regimes in the ME for the duration of the Cold War, we continue to do so.

As much as you may dislike them, those people (well, maybe save for the shah) were far more than western puppets; they had their origin in local phenomena and history, and their own agendas. It's nonsense to call it an extension of colonialism.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 23, 2016

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Majorian posted:

If this were accurate, radical Islamism would be considerably more widespread than it is, and would cut across a wider swath of demographics than it actually does. As it stands, it's pretty clear that people who are recruited into Islamist terrorist groups are predisposed to being radicalized.
"Radical Islam" has spread throughout the western world and I contend that it is widespread. Can you name a western country that hasn't been the victim of Islamic terrorism in the past decade? Immigrants and native citizens alike of countries all across the world have detonated bombs or used guns or knives to kill people in the name of Islam. Some of them from middle class comfortable lives free of poverty or other excuses.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

And just look at how Libya, Syria and Iraq have improved now that the Big Mean Dictators are gone! It's like a paradise, really :rolleyes:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Europe's bigots and jihadists have a pretty good symbiotic relationship going, honestly. They should really thank them for stirring up enough fear to let them push through their garbage agendas.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

As much as you may dislike, those people (well, maybe save for the shah) were far more than western puppets they had their origin in local phenomena and history, and their own agendas. It's nonsense to call is an extension of colonialism.

No one's claiming that they were - just that the US and its allies propped them up, and that accounts for at least some of the ill will that the ME feels towards us.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PT6A posted:

And just look at how Libya, Syria and Iraq have improved now that the Big Mean Dictators are gone! It's like a paradise, really :rolleyes:

Tunisia seems like it's improved a lot. One out of 4 ain't bad, right? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

No one's claiming that they were - just that the US and its allies propped them up, and that accounts for at least some of the ill will that the ME feels towards us.

You called me obtuse for thinking colonialism in the Middle East ended with WWII ;)

• Locked thread