Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BWV
Feb 24, 2005

being morally bankrupt isn't illegal. And i dont imagine an appellate judge altering their jurisprudence because one of their clerks told them they posted a link to stream star wars .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Thank you Gawker for letting me know that you can pirate movies such as Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are people actually defending Gawker in this thread cause uh... what

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

BWV posted:

being morally bankrupt isn't illegal. And i dont imagine an appellate judge altering their jurisprudence because one of their clerks told them they posted a link to stream star wars .

They didn't even link to it lol. They just linked to a Torrent News site which posted an article about the leak---and even that article doesn't link to the torrent.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Are people actually defending Gawker in this thread cause uh... what

Morally? Not really. Legally? Yeah, because the law (and the appeals court) is pretty much on their side in this

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Their defeat in the 100 million dollar lawsuit last week suggests that in fact the law is not on their side in this.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Slanderer posted:

Morally? Not really. Legally? Yeah, because the law (and the appeals court) is pretty much on their side in this

Defending Gawker for any reason with any level of sincerity is insanely gay. And not like sucking a dick or enjoying a man's rear end in a top hat, which is good. The bad kind of gay where you suck all the inherent humor out of The Trial of the Hulk Hogan Sex Tape like one of those quivering buttholes who post in the Debate and Discussion forum.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Their defeat in the 100 million dollar lawsuit last week suggests that in fact the law is not on their side in this.

Do you not understand how jury trials work how the appeals court is very different?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Andrast posted:

Do you not understand how jury trials work how the appeals court is very different?

Please explain in excruciating detail.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oh yeah, you're right, I guess they forgot to say the not in Gawker do not have to pay 1.5 times their net worth to the man who does not have a 10 inch penis. Silly mistake to make.

They're going to be so embarrassed to have been rumbled by the sports forum of a comedy website.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

considering Gawker is current 3-0 against the judge (who was appointed by Jeb! for representing terry schiavo lol) in the appeals court, it sorta doesnt

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

When that happens, it's true that the law was on their side. As of now, a court of law has found the opposite so it's pretty hard to say "it pretty much is" when it's not.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Maybe let's wait and see how the appeal actually goes before saying who is legally in the right here

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Can they both be both legally wrong and, I dunno, all the money goes to me? I'm a nice guy, I'll spend at least 10% of it on a vanity wrestling promotion, and I think that benefits everyone following the trial.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

If you give me the money, I'll make a DDT-style comedy wrestling company to tour the northeast.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'll pay for Terry Bollea to get 9.5 inches if given the 140 mil.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
it's insanely scandalous to me, a huge dumbass, that gawker would pull back the curtain on what happens when you type "give me star war torrent please" into google

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Listen for 140 milli I'll say in public that I don't have a ten inch dick.

it's actually 11" :ssh:

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

just watched Terry do his interview on Today this morning. Such a goddamn carny scumbag trying to explain his racism.

e: he's also really good at summoning the tears on cue. goddamn what a showman.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

super macho dude posted:

just watched Terry do his interview on Today this morning. Such a goddamn carny scumbag trying to explain his racism.

e: he's also really good at summoning the tears on cue. goddamn what a showman.

I liked the part where he said verbatim the typical "I'm not racist, I have African American friends"

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014

Chris James 2 posted:

I liked the part where he said verbatim the typical "I'm not racist, I have African American friends"

he said "AFRO AMERICAN" and said it several times to the point where it was so...weird. Just why would you use that term still? It's so out of touch.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Howling Man posted:

he said "AFRO AMERICAN" and said it several times to the point where it was so...weird. Just why would you use that term still? It's so out of touch.

Probably by being a 70 year old racist, I'd guess.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
If only they'd had a bowl of Brazil nuts on set to offer him.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

He's only a little racist, like all of us!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Chris James 2 posted:

Booker T called him a nigga so he's allowed to say whatever he wants now, he's been inducted

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Intruder posted:

Booker T called him a nigga so he's allowed to say whatever he wants now, he's been inducted

This is how Cena got there.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/285347/hulk-hogan-car-almost-blown-up-coast-guardsmen-sex-tape/

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm shocked a Hogan story is true for once. We'll except for the fighting four sailors at the same time and winning but he has to lie to make himself sound more badass at least once per story.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I can't wait for the light reading of the 2000 page document re:hogan and his insanity.

Optimist with doubt fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 25, 2016

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

BWV posted:

violating privacy to publish puerile of an individual without their consent is.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Update time! Gawker has begun the process of appeal by filing a few post-trial motions.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/gawker-files-motions-challenging-jurys-verdict-hulk-hogan/story?id=38164042&nwltr=abcnp_tco

ABC News posted:

The media company has filed a Motion for New Trial asking for a new trial or for the amount in damages awarded to Hogan be vacated or drastically reduced. Gawker also filed a Motion for Judgment Not Withstanding the Verdict, essentially asking the judge to throw out the jury's verdict because the company believes it was the wrong decision.

In a statement after the trial, Gawker’s General Counsel, Heather Dietrick, told ABC News, "Soon after Hulk Hogan brought his original lawsuits in 2012, three state appeals court judges and a federal judge repeatedly ruled that Gawker's post was newsworthy under the First Amendment. We expect that to happen again -- particularly because the jury was prohibited from knowing about these court rulings in favor of Gawker, prohibited from seeing critical evidence gathered by the FBI and prohibited from hearing from the most important witness, Bubba Clem."

They're arguing that the verdict should be reversed, or failing that reduced significantly (down to a max or so of ~$1.5 million, more in line with other cases in this line), or failing that thrown out for a new trial allowing in the evidence the judge excluded. After these motions, Gawker will start the appeals process by going to the court above, where they have already been successful in several motions to reverse this judge's decisions.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/287566/audio-hulk-hogan-n-word-racist-rant/

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

projecthalaxy posted:

:eng101: Ahem, Hogan only hates poor black people or, as he would say, the piz bizz plizz.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

http://nypost.com/2016/05/02/hulk-hogan-hits-gawker-with-another-lawsuit/

Hulk Hogan's bloodlust has not been sated

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hogan's suing them again omfg

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Leg Drop one puts them down, Leg Drop two will destroy them insha'allah.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Shima Honnou posted:

Leg Drop one puts them down, Leg Drop two will destroy them insha'allah.

You tell'em, brother.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Hogan's suing them again omfg

in the event an appellate court overturns the original lawsuit the hulkster is going to want his win back

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh this rules :munch:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Enjoy unemployment, Patrick Klepek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005