Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
If they bite just straight up stop playing and ignore them for a bit. They'll catch on pretty quick that bite = playtime ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thanks. The ow only seems to egg her on. Will try to ignore her but she just keeps jumping and biting. Will play around with it though.

What's the most unsettling is that when we are out in the yard if she gets a hold of a piece of mulch or something and I try to get her to get it out she occasionally gets really defensive and snarly. Then bitey.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Dunno if it'll help you, but so far with our pup when she gets bitey I just give a solid sharp "ow!" Not enough to scare her, but enough to get her attention. Usually that switches her from bitey to "oh I'm sorry, let me lick you up".

I make a "yelp!" She gets a very confused look.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

TraderStav posted:

Thanks. The ow only seems to egg her on. Will try to ignore her but she just keeps jumping and biting. Will play around with it though.

What's the most unsettling is that when we are out in the yard if she gets a hold of a piece of mulch or something and I try to get her to get it out she occasionally gets really defensive and snarly. Then bitey.

Yelping really egged vecna on too and he was super into biting me in the rear end when i tried to walk away and with draw attention. ignoring behavior is fine and dandy but when they're mauling the hell out of you with those awful needle puppy teeth it sucks and is really hard not to react. imo ignoring lovely behavior is not always the best way. what worked great for us was putting him in time out in the bathroom for a minute or two and if he bit again, putting him back in for ~30 sec (repeat as needed). it took a bit to sink in but it made a massive difference. for him ignoring biting just meant TRY HARDER TIL THEY FLINCH OR SQUEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That second bit sounds a bit resource guard-y, look into "trading up" to teach her that when i want to take something from you, you'll get something EVEN BETTER if you give it up. again it takes some time but you don't wanna let resource guarding get out of control. nip that poo poo in the bud and you'll both be much happier. resource guarding is a very natural behavior so don't freak out too bad but do work on it

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Update: dog is being friendly with both kids and happily plays fetch with them, but doesn't want to sit on their laps or let them pet her (which they are not being pushy about, ftr). With me, she's extremely cuddly. Is this a thing that'll just take time? I guess I worry about cementing a dynamic where I'm the only person she wants to be close to. Is that unfounded? I'm just wondering if it's better for the kids to totally back off and ignore her, or to continue to occasionally make overtures to her. (Again, they are being very respectful - saying her name, letting her sniff their hands, moving slowly, backing off if she starts to growl or moves away from them.)

Ausrotten, I want to be annoyed at you for lack of reading comprehension, but I have to say that a dog named Vecna is the best thing ever. Is he missing an eye? Is he chaotic evil? Do you share pics of him?

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
be annoyed all you want, i still think you made a very poor choice in dogs given your family situation :shobon:

yes he's neutral evil as gently caress but he has all his parts

i posted a lot of pictures of kas and vecna in the GSD thread under my old account. there's a few of heidi in there too

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ausrotten posted:

be annoyed all you want, i still think you made a very poor choice in dogs given your family situation

i think this pretty much sums up the tone of posting itt

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I love my sassy butterdog

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
post him more you rear end in a top hat pax is cool

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pookel posted:

Update: dog is being friendly with both kids and happily plays fetch with them, but doesn't want to sit on their laps or let them pet her (which they are not being pushy about, ftr). With me, she's extremely cuddly. Is this a thing that'll just take time? I guess I worry about cementing a dynamic where I'm the only person she wants to be close to. Is that unfounded? I'm just wondering if it's better for the kids to totally back off and ignore her, or to continue to occasionally make overtures to her. (Again, they are being very respectful - saying her name, letting her sniff their hands, moving slowly, backing off if she starts to growl or moves away from them.)

Ausrotten, I want to be annoyed at you for lack of reading comprehension, but I have to say that a dog named Vecna is the best thing ever. Is he missing an eye? Is he chaotic evil? Do you share pics of him?

You've had her for three days. You and your family are still basically strangers to her and it should not be terribly surprising that she isn't one hundred percent comfortable with all of you yet, especially the children who sometimes have loud uncontrollable tantrums. Just make sure she has plenty of good experiences with them and as few bad experiences with them as possible, and she should warm up to then over time, at her own pace. Don't try to force things to move faster than she's comfortable with or you'll turn a good experience into a bad one!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Main Paineframe posted:

You've had her for three days. You and your family are still basically strangers to her and it should not be terribly surprising that she isn't one hundred percent comfortable with all of you yet, especially the children who sometimes have loud uncontrollable tantrums. Just make sure she has plenty of good experiences with them and as few bad experiences with them as possible, and she should warm up to then over time, at her own pace. Don't try to force things to move faster than she's comfortable with or you'll turn a good experience into a bad one!
Thanks, this is the kind of thing I was wondering about. It doesn't surprise me at all, this is more of a "do I need to actively do something about it now, or will it work itself out at its own pace?" I am actually very surprised at how fast she went from "who are you terrifying people?" to following me around and jumping on me for cuddles and belly rubs.

She really isn't a fearful dog at all* - I may have misrepresented her if it sounded like that. The first day we met her, she'd just traveled three hours, and her foster person had no idea if she'd ever been around children before or what sort of home situation she came from. He left her with us for three hours, and in that time she got used to me, my boyfriend, my house, our furniture, our household noises, and the idea of being in the same room with kids. The second day we had her, she made friends with my friend's 6-year-old (who is dog experienced and started off very cautiously). It's been, I think, five days now, and she doesn't seem to be worried when Simon has a meltdown or when the kids are loud/running around.

My boyfriend's 140-lb St. Bernard tried to make friends with her (yes, with plenty of supervision, and a gate between them) and she snapped at him and he backed the gently caress off. Poor big doofy guy, he just wanted a playmate.

* ETA: I understand she's acting fearful now, but I think her level of confidence considering that she's known us for less than a week is a good sign. I've been around a few neurotic Yorkies who startle at every noise and can't deal with new people, and she's not like that at all.

pookel fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 23, 2016

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

TraderStav posted:

Teddy does this too. The previous pup that I trained was far more submissive but this guy seems to enjoy making me yelp if he's in the right mood. Usually this is when he was tired and woken up prematurely and I try and re-direct him to get tired enough to pass out again. He's just started going for feet and pant legs too, which I really need to figure out how to stop as soon as possible.

He's about 13 weeks now and I've had him for almost 3, and while he is improving, he's also getting bigger and stronger so those bites and scratches do more damage. I have many battle wounds. The family that re-homed him to me had a couple of small children that I think were a little rough with him. I wasn't given specifics but it was one of the reasons listed for them not being able to handle him.

My saving grace is that Teddy is very food driven and takes up learning very well, so I know he will be a great dog soon.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

pookel posted:

* ETA: I understand she's acting fearful now, but I think her level of confidence considering that she's known us for less than a week is a good sign. I've been around a few neurotic Yorkies who startle at every noise and can't deal with new people, and she's not like that at all.

I have a fearful/neurotic/neophobic terrier and she takes about a day or two of constant interaction or a week of more sporadic interaction with someone to get used to them pretty much for life. She isn't "acting fearful" - dogs aren't theatrical performers - she IS reacting to this new environment in a fearful way. That she's coming round over a few days doesn't make her less fearful, though it is of course good.

If she's still growling at the kids, I would be wary of allowing interaction at all between them tbh. Getting a dog that you had no idea if it had ever been around kids before seems crazy - especially with an autistic child, as a lot of dogs used to children would still be a little alarmed by one that has loud tantrums etc. I'm surprised the rescue let you take her with not knowing her history.

Imo best thing would be to say that the kids do not approach her at all for at least another week. Let them carry treats on themselves at all times, and if she approaches them they can drop a treat in front of her - meaning less pressure as they aren't leaning in, getting in her space etc. It's hard to explain to kids that they can't handle and touch the new thing but she sounds stressed out, and a stressed dog can escalate to biting even if the kids back off when growling if they are still coming back a little while later to try again.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Ausrotten posted:

post him more you rear end in a top hat pax is cool

Older pic, but one of my favorites

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Stanley is going to be getting neutered this week. Doggy daycare said that he's been mounting a lot lately and he's 8 months ( 2 past the 6 month old threshold for what they allow dogs to be intact). We debated breeding him but I don't think either of us wants to go through it. As much as I would love to have one of his puppies later on down the road, I think its going to be better in the long run to get him fixed.

Sorry Stan the man, but I guess if you never got to fully use your bits you wont understand what you're missing right? RIP testicles.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Verman posted:

Stanley is going to be getting neutered this week. Doggy daycare said that he's been mounting a lot lately and he's 8 months ( 2 past the 6 month old threshold for what they allow dogs to be intact). We debated breeding him but I don't think either of us wants to go through it. As much as I would love to have one of his puppies later on down the road, I think its going to be better in the long run to get him fixed.

Sorry Stan the man, but I guess if you never got to fully use your bits you wont understand what you're missing right? RIP testicles.

Probably for the best. There are so many really, really awesome dogs out there. You'll find a great future puppy from one of these awesome dogs if you look. People who breed (at least people who breed well) put so much time, effort and money into breeding -- it's best to go to people like that if you're not able to put in that sort of effort yourself. (And few are. It can get sort of crazy.)

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
Our dog, a pit mix according to the rescue people and the DNA test (I'm not sure how much either of those are worth), just turned two-ish. We first got him when he was about seven months old and from then through maybe 18 months he totally loved any new people and would jump and lick all over them. Over the past several months though, he's been acting more shy. (In case it matters in this situation, he was born deaf.)

It's like he wants to be friends with people he hasn't met before, but isn't so sure about it. He'll start to run toward them with his tail wagging, but stop short and put his tail - still wagging - partially between his legs. Then he'll back up and approach them again maybe from a different angle, but still stopping short and retreating, often sitting on my or my girlfriend's feet until he's ready to try approaching again. There's occasionally a bark or two, especially if the person stays near the door, but no growling or snarling or anything like that. Usually if the new person is at our place for a while, he'll warm up to them and I guess remember them if they come over again.

Is this anything to be worried about? Is there something we should be doing to make him feel more comfortable with new guests? Sometimes it seems to help if we have the new person offer him treats. Is that okay?

And just because, here are a couple pictures of his stupid face sleeping with his stupid tongue sticking out:

(please help I'm not a dog person and I'm worried we're ruining this little guy and my girlfriend doesn't seem concerned about it and maybe that's okay but I have no idea and she's not as dog savvy as I had thought even though she means well)

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

pookel posted:

Thanks, this is the kind of thing I was wondering about. It doesn't surprise me at all, this is more of a "do I need to actively do something about it now, or will it work itself out at its own pace?" I am actually very surprised at how fast she went from "who are you terrifying people?" to following me around and jumping on me for cuddles and belly rubs.

She really isn't a fearful dog at all* - I may have misrepresented her if it sounded like that. The first day we met her, she'd just traveled three hours, and her foster person had no idea if she'd ever been around children before or what sort of home situation she came from. He left her with us for three hours, and in that time she got used to me, my boyfriend, my house, our furniture, our household noises, and the idea of being in the same room with kids. The second day we had her, she made friends with my friend's 6-year-old (who is dog experienced and started off very cautiously). It's been, I think, five days now, and she doesn't seem to be worried when Simon has a meltdown or when the kids are loud/running around.

My boyfriend's 140-lb St. Bernard tried to make friends with her (yes, with plenty of supervision, and a gate between them) and she snapped at him and he backed the gently caress off. Poor big doofy guy, he just wanted a playmate.

Did the rescue not ask you if you had children or have the children come meet the dog before the adoption was finalized? You mentioned in your original post that it was even hesitant to get close to you at first, did you not think how it would be around your children, especially a young child that is prone to outbursts that aren't controllable? :psyduck:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Oh ffs. Yes, of course that was the first thing I talked to the rescue about. Her foster person said she was nervous around kids but that he thought that older, considerate kids would be OK. We visited for a few hours brfore finalizing the adoption.The 8-year-old approached her too suddenly a couple of times and made her nervous, and we schooled him quickly, but it made her more cautious of him.

At this point she is happy to be near them, take food from them, go on walks with them, jump on their beds and sniff them in the morning when they wake up. She's just not jumping on their laps for pets and cuddles like she does with me. She's warming up, though - this morning she approached my older son for pets, and last night she sat on the 8-year-old's bed next to him and let him pet her a bit before backing off.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

pookel posted:

Oh ffs. Yes, of course that was the first thing I talked to the rescue about. Her foster person said she was nervous around kids but that he thought that older, considerate kids would be OK. We visited for a few hours brfore finalizing the adoption.The 8-year-old approached her too suddenly a couple of times and made her nervous, and we schooled him quickly, but it made her more cautious of him.

At this point she is happy to be near them, take food from them, go on walks with them, jump on their beds and sniff them in the morning when they wake up. She's just not jumping on their laps for pets and cuddles like she does with me. She's warming up, though - this morning she approached my older son for pets, and last night she sat on the 8-year-old's bed next to him and let him pet her a bit before backing off.

Yeah nothing about your post raised alarm bells to me. My first dog was fearful (she's still a scaredy cat about random poo poo) and it took her over a month to be ok with cuddles and pats. Even though I literally just had a pocketful of treats that I'd randomly drop for her throughout the day, although that did make her a velcro dog.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Warbird posted:

Good news: Peeing issue may not be UTI related.

Bad news: Peeing issue is very likely dog going into heat related.

Peeing more often, she's been pretty clingy, female GSD has been aggressive and bitchy to her at the dog park, lady bits look swollen, and cherry on top: small stain on my bedsheets where she was hanging out that ain't piss. Hooray.

I'm going to see if we can move her spaying up as I don't want to haul her 6+ hours back to home over the holiday if she's bleeding and pee happy. Any hot tips on how to manage this for personal experience would be appreciated. That or tips on removing this stain. We've only ever had male dogs and the one female we've had was fixed long before she could go into heat. I'm going to be Googling away, this will be fun.

My GSD was unspayed as well. She was in heat 2-3 times while I had her.

I hope you have some carpet cleaner handy! I found Awesome! cleaner from the dollar store to be a pretty good, cheap cleaning solution (only about $1 a bottle).

Otherwise, short term, you just gotta deal with it. I'm fortunate in that we had hardwoods and could just mop up anywhere she bled, but she also bled on a few of our blankets and carpets as well. Not a whole lot you can do, it lasts about 14 days.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Better news: I'm a loving idiot and not a vet. It's a confirmed UTI, but she could start her heat cycle anytime. Hopefully the meds she was given will stop her from peeing in my car in the upcoming road trip.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
As a very rough outline, what sort of pricetag should a UK goon expect for a capable, properly-accredited trainer who does stuff like home visits and one-on-one sessions?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

What sort of stuff are you needing help with? Generally afaik you'll have to do a consult of prob 20 or 30 but how much it costs after that will depend on what the issue is, how frequently you have to go, etc

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fraction posted:

What sort of stuff are you needing help with? Generally afaik you'll have to do a consult of prob 20 or 30 but how much it costs after that will depend on what the issue is, how frequently you have to go, etc

Basically I was just thinking standard advice and basic setup training for a new puppy, nothing exotic.

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!

Blinks posted:

Brodie. Martin BroDog. Named after the most succesful netminder in the NHL, he was meant to be a cool as gently caress dog.

Brodie is my 6 month Lab puppy.

I need help. I can't trust him. At all.

*words words words*

Am I doing something horrendously wrong? Am I not cut out to own a dog? Are my expectations waaaaaay too high? How can I change my attitude and approach to improve the situation?

I'll take any advice you can give. Thanks for reading.

3, nearly 4 months on and things have improved no end.

I really think that most of the behaviours were down to me and how I was dealing with them. I mean, we haven't mastered the art of not pinching anything and everything in sight but when you look at how he is behaving now compared to Christmas, its a world apart. I contacted a behaviouralist who is a lecturer at the nearest university in animal studies and he suggested that as soon as he pinches something that all humans present must elave the room and only enter again when we hear him approach the door and drop what he has pinched. That didn't work, it ust gave him more time, peace and quiet to eat thedamn things! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I now walk with him on a Halti collar which is attached the the collar around his mouth and also his neck collar, this works a treat, he still pulls but it is so much more managable now. He rarely lurches at people any more and can walk past another dog without going batshit insane. He still wants to approach the other dog and I have to hold him back but the urgency and force he uses isn't as much as before. Small steps.

We now toilet Brodie out of the front of the house as we have the luxury of having a large patch of grass (The Green) which is a public space. Brodie will bark at the bark door (as we trained him to do so) but then will come to the front door, I'll put the retractable lead on and out he goes. Off the lead he comes back a lot more than he used to, there are still times when he will be off like a rocket towards other dogs but he shows hesitation when I call him which is a huuuuge deal. Now that the weather is nicer here in the UK, I can spend more time on the field with him and work on recall with distractions. I've cut down on the runs so it won't affect his hip development as much as it already has and aside from injury impacting on walks, we have been busting out the 2 milers in the morning and evening through the countryside and the neighbourhood.

I could still do more with him, he still sleeps a lot in the evening while I play video games. I should cut down on that and interact more with him. Generally my relationship has improved with Brodie and tensions have reduced with my Mrs. An all round improvement.

Here are some bonus pics of the lovable dickhead...
(Sorry about sizing, imgur has changed since last I used it, not sure how to resize any more)

And finally, today we met up with my mate and his dog Zeus. Zeus doesn't mix well with other dogs and Brodie wanted to play all the time. Zeus got a bit snappy and aggressive and Brodie adopted a submissive pose and when Zeus walked off, Brodie chased him again! This is towards the end of the walk...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

After a week of no accidents, she decided to pee in the house twice yesterday with no warning. So I started to positively reinforce her peeing outside with treats. She has figured it out already and I think she is faking it to get treats.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

FogHelmut posted:

After a week of no accidents, she decided to pee in the house twice yesterday with no warning. So I started to positively reinforce her peeing outside with treats. She has figured it out already and I think she is faking it to get treats.

Bitches be crazy.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Darth Walrus posted:

Basically I was just thinking standard advice and basic setup training for a new puppy, nothing exotic.

Oh I figured you meant for an issue of some sort. Probably would all be covered in an initial thing so assume less than £40. Just make sure you look into the type of certification they should have and find someone who matches the training style and standards you want to use.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Just adopted this little guy

Not much in the way of questions, he's great and I just wanted to share pics. He was found as a stray a few cities away and seems to be relaxing well but is a bit people shy and pretty low energy for a husky. We've been managing the former with telling people to approach him slowly and giving them treats. Luckily he doesn't get growly/raise hackles/snap/etc, we can just tell he's kind "ehhh" about interactions but he's getting better constantly, even this early into having him. We're giving him a while to adjust but I guess the only question I really have is regarding getting him okay to go on walks; he has an easier time when another dog is walking with him but according to the rescue has frozen up before without one. He's only 37 lbs so its not a big deal to carry him but I'd like him to enjoy walks, and to be able to do them alone. Thus far my thinking is to use high value treats and/or toys to start him going when I need to, but any other tips are appreciated. Luckily I have a fully fenced yard so it's not an issue as far as bathroom breaks go.

A husky who doesn't want to runrunrun, what is the world coming to?

:3: (he's great)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fraction posted:

Oh I figured you meant for an issue of some sort. Probably would all be covered in an initial thing so assume less than £40. Just make sure you look into the type of certification they should have and find someone who matches the training style and standards you want to use.

What, for a whole setup course? That's pretty cheap.

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!

Psychobabble! posted:

Just adopted this little guy

Not much in the way of questions, he's great and I just wanted to share pics. He was found as a stray a few cities away and seems to be relaxing well but is a bit people shy and pretty low energy for a husky. We've been managing the former with telling people to approach him slowly and giving them treats. Luckily he doesn't get growly/raise hackles/snap/etc, we can just tell he's kind "ehhh" about interactions but he's getting better constantly, even this early into having him. We're giving him a while to adjust but I guess the only question I really have is regarding getting him okay to go on walks; he has an easier time when another dog is walking with him but according to the rescue has frozen up before without one. He's only 37 lbs so its not a big deal to carry him but I'd like him to enjoy walks, and to be able to do them alone. Thus far my thinking is to use high value treats and/or toys to start him going when I need to, but any other tips are appreciated. Luckily I have a fully fenced yard so it's not an issue as far as bathroom breaks go.

A husky who doesn't want to runrunrun, what is the world coming to?

:3: (he's great)

He looks like a cool guy to hang out with.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Darth Walrus posted:

What, for a whole setup course? That's pretty cheap.

In your previous post it sounded like you just wanted new puppy advice/training, if you aren't specifically going into what you're after then I can't really guesstimate prices. Find the people around you doing the stuff you want and ask them.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Positive reinforcement seems to result in the dog doing:

1. Do bad thing
2. Go to good position
3. Expect treat

I want her to skip step one. She seems to think it's part of the deal. Specifically jumping on the sofa.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

To avoid step one, you need to utilize management and a bit of foresight to redirect prior to the bad thing happening. Or you need to train an incompatible behaviour. For instance, don't want dog on couch? Make it worth her while to hang out in a nearby dog bed with a bajillion treats doled out frequently while she's there.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

It can be challenging but you need to catch her being good as well as being bad. If she's doing something you like such as being quiet or not being on the furniture acknowledge it and give her a treat for it. It's hard to do since we tend to notice and redirect when they do something we don't like but we don't really notice them when they're being good.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
So my 4.5 month old pup seems to be having some housebreaking traits we need to work through. If she's in her crate for the night, no accidents. If she's in her exercise pen, no accidents. She doesn't poop in the house. But god drat it, if she's free in the house with us she finds the exact second we're not paying attention to take off and make a puddle somewhere. I don't get it. I know the dog can hold it since she does in her crate and exercise pen, but if we take her out and she pees, a half hour could go by and we find a puddle in the kitchen.

I was thinking of trying the umbilical cord method, but any tips on getting her to hold it when not confined?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Didn't get a response in the small questions thread, so I hope it's okay I repost here:

"Can anyone recommend an e-collar/cone/equivalent that would prevent a 35lb beagle with long legs from licking his front paw?
The one we got from the vet still allows him to reach when his legs are outstretched and he already looks like a satellite dish in it, so I'm not sure if we should go even bigger or look into alternate shapes."

After I saw that his vet-prescribed one was doing little good, I bought the only one they had at my Petsmart but it slipped right over his head. I guess I need one that attaches to the collar but I'm at a loss. He seems miserable about both the cone and his skin issue and I just want to help him. He also easily pulled off a sock and ace bandage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Try the sock again, tape the top of the sock to his leg with medical tape to keep it in place.