Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

corn in the bible posted:

her battle lines are great

*while fighting a big dog* DO YOU THINK YOU CAN BE FORGIVEN????

yeah gently caress you dog you're gonna burn in hell
The battle costume lines are great, because you can tell half of them are there to make Toriyama furiously jack off ("seductive" lines) and yet the delivery is just scathing

"do you like my ears and tail :geno:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The battle costume lines are great, because you can tell half of them are there to make Toriyama furiously jack off ("seductive" lines) and yet the delivery is just scathing

"do you like my ears and tail :geno:"

Now see, Toriyama has this weird thing called a "fetish". Best not make fun of it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
don't kinkshame

talk indifferent to me harder eclair-chan

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This has nothing really to do with FF as such but I'm curious about something.

I now have played FFVII and VIII for both PS and PC. Yet, on my old lovely PC which I am grateful to finally be getting rid of, the games seemed to run better on the PC version than the emulator. I only played the games on emulator because of some mods I wanted that were only available for the PS version. But anyway, it just surprised me. I don't know anything about technical stuff like this but the emulated game chugging while the game itself for PC worked great made me curious about why this might be? The PC version looks a lot better to me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This has nothing really to do with FF as such but I'm curious about something.

I now have played FFVII and VIII for both PS and PC. Yet, on my old lovely PC which I am grateful to finally be getting rid of, the games seemed to run better on the PC version than the emulator. I only played the games on emulator because of some mods I wanted that were only available for the PS version. But anyway, it just surprised me. I don't know anything about technical stuff like this but the emulated game chugging while the game itself for PC worked great made me curious about why this might be? The PC version looks a lot better to me.

The PC version is based on a PC port and is native to your computer, rather than being a non-native game running in an emulator on your computer. Emulators are resource intensive solutions that can't always properly emulate the hardware they stand in for due to a variety of factors while a PC version doesn't, in theory, have to deal with any of that and can be optimized for your hardware directly.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

The PC version is based on a PC port and is native to your computer, rather than being a non-native game running in an emulator on your computer. Emulators are resource intensive solutions that can't always properly emulate the hardware they stand in for due to a variety of factors while a PC version doesn't, in theory, have to deal with any of that and can be optimized for your hardware directly.

Simply put, the emulator needs a computer 10x the capability of the PSX. The PC port needs 1x what a 1997 computer's spec was.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That said, emulating FF7 is cheese cake with any good computer made in the last 15 years.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bloodychill posted:

That said, emulating FF7 is cheese cake with any good computer made in the last 15 years.

It wasn't an issue years ago but this cheap hunk of junk I got 6 years ago for $200 is finally dying on me I think and everything is slow now compared to how it used to be.

Just another week and I can play FFVII on the best emulator graphical settings! Or just play it on PC with all the graphics mods, which have progressed to such an extent that they require a dedicated GPU or something.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 23, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

poo poo man FF7 will emulate on a bad computer made in the past ten.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Lightning just started randomly saying battle lines that spoil what the Angel of Valhalla is in my PC version. I mean it's not a spoiler to me because I played it when it came out on console, but what a weird bug to get.

I played the PC version recently and didn't get those lines until after you found out. Of course, I didn't play the other two games so it was kind of irrelevant to me either way.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ff7 will emulate on my phone

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I got FF9 on phone yesterday and am so mad it has a skip cutscene option.

Because how do you add one to a game you nearly lost every asset to, but can't on FFX. gently caress.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FFIX is a good bad game and FFX is not.

giffan
Jul 10, 2012
I wish they would bring back the Active Time Events from IX.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

FFIX is a good bad game and FFX is not.

Yeah, it's just a good game

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No!!! It is not!!!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's the worst in the series.

E: Oh, sorry, guess the new thing is to say it explodes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Square Enix just announced that Final Fantasy XV is getting localized for France, Germany, Russia, Brazil, and the rest of Latin America. Also there will be a French and German dub.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

Square Enix just announced that Final Fantasy XV is getting localized for France, Germany, Russia, Brazil, and the rest of Latin America. Also there will be a French and German dub.

French/German text-only translations have been a thing since FF7 (and at least in French have been really loving good since 9) but the dubs are a huge deal.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just hope they do dual audio for JP voices so I can bask in ignorance of not knowing why specifically the JP voicing is equally poo poo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hope it has quad-audio so I can listen to the French and German dubs and make the characters automatically seem more elegant/weirdly angry.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A language each for all party members.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A language each for all party members.

This be an interesting sort of social experiment. Noctis speaks Japanese, one of the other characters who's name I don't know speaks English, that one girl who I think is like a mechanic speaks French, etc..

See which characters are most popular where. Would Mechanic Girl be French people's favorite?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

No!!! It is not!!!

But in truth, it is.

Nothing bad about it.

All good times.

Chocobo hot and cold

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
James Arnold Taylor talks about recording 'the laugh' in FFX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRWab0q9aw4

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sunning posted:

James Arnold Taylor talks about recording 'the laugh' in FFX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRWab0q9aw4

Lol. Do you think this has been haunting him for a decade

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sunning posted:

Sorry mate, it's Tide-us.
The dude who made the .gif file formate calls it jif is wrong too.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It is actually kind of impressive that they managed to make two fully voiced 40-50+ hour RPGs without ever saying Tidus' name

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 23, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sunning posted:

I've seen a few vids with him now and he seems like the chillest and nicest of dudes.

You gotta love the Internet sometimes. For all the shitposting and morons, it still brings celebs and normal people together.Seeing videos with JAT or Georgia...um...however you spell her last name - Vanille's VA- makes most people step back and stop being shitheads. Hey these are real people who are really nice and are doing their best and they're just trying to make a living like everyone else.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Actually in Japanese it's pronounced Tee-da, because that's the Okinawan word for sun.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Augus posted:

quad-audio

quadio

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually in Japanese it's pronounced Tee-da, because that's the Okinawan word for sun.

Kuraudo is my favorite FF protagonist, although Jitan is a pretty cool guy also.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

NikkolasKing posted:

I've seen a few vids with him now and he seems like the chillest and nicest of dudes.

You gotta love the Internet sometimes. For all the shitposting and morons, it still brings celebs and normal people together.Seeing videos with JAT or Georgia...um...however you spell her last name - Vanille's VA- makes most people step back and stop being shitheads. Hey these are real people who are really nice and are doing their best and they're just trying to make a living like everyone else.

From everything I read and heard, recording the English localization of FFXIII was very difficult. The Japanese script was continuously delayed/re-written and there was more oversight from the development team.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Yuuniiiiii

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah he's a really cool dude and actually really good at voice acting. A bit disappointed though that his story was pretty much just the kinda obvious stuff behind it that I figured out on my own years ago, but nothing to really do about that I guess.

Sunning posted:

From everything I read and heard, recording the English localization of FFXIII was very difficult. The Japanese script was continuously delayed/re-written and there was more oversight from the development team.

Just like everything else about the game, there were too many cooks in the kitchen and nobody was doing a good job at keeping everyone on track so they would keep stepping over each other's faces, the game had to be strung together from a bunch of ridiculously pretty but completely separate pieces in the end. I mean, they didn't even have a combat system until the last year of development. Lighning's voice actress is actually really good and she does a great job as Palutena in Kid Icarus Uprising.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 23, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sunning posted:

The thing I like most about this video is that, even if he did stage/prepare his acting for the video, he came across as legit and heartfelt about playing his role like he really enjoyed it. Knowing some other VA jobs where the actors barely even know what happened is a bit sad. Granted, maybe he got a lot of SE money for the role, who knows, but at least him recounting how it happened and remembering the actual story beats itself felt refreshing.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Hedy Burress comes off the same way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocsXc5PWHzk She has the same slow speaking style and laugh as Yuna. It feels like she is Yuna irl.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
In general, I actually think Tidus is a far better and more interesting performance than a lot of other ones in FFX. Wakka's voice just keeps sounding worse and worse the older the game gets; all of the Ronso sound silly. It's such an oddball collection of voices, you have british actors and american actors and american actors pretending to be Carribbean people...

FFX is a treasure.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Hedy Burress comes off the same way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocsXc5PWHzk She has the same slow speaking style and laugh as Yuna. It feels like she is Yuna irl.

Is she single?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I hope the extra effort dubbing takes doesn't delay the European version.