Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't see a thread for it so I'll just ask here; for the last demo level in Trackmania Turbo (the fifth bronze one, the multi-lap), what is the gold medal ai doing that lets it get the turbo every lap instead of just the first? I thought it had to do with being on the ground but I got it while in the air a few times. I'm a second and a half behind it.

e: Also TT is real good and I may just buy it now instead of on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If its the same 5th track as the beta (3 laps on a drift area, large uphill climb after the first drift, hole that shoots you to the finish line) there's no trick, you just need to avoid catching too much air off the hump. I did it by erring right a tad on the hole jump.

You can still catch some air but I always had to at least touch the boost area to set it off. Imo catching air at all on that part is loving up your time.

I obsessed over that track time in the beta and ended up like 7th in the US.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Other tips: stay as close as possible to the right when doing the boost drift. Trying to hit the apex doesn't seem to help with however the boost is working.

Catching air off that middle hill climb can actually hurt your time, because it lessens the amount of time you can accelerate. This tip may not apply if you're getting a really good speed through the hill climb.

Focus on maintaining speed and momentum through the non boost drift

Exit the hole while moving right and you'll set yourself up great for the start of the next lap. Drift waaaaaaaay loving early if you get a good boost on a non first lap.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Double post

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Fortitude posted:

But streamers are getting their copies of the PC version activated. The PC version is basically good to go so I've no idea what the delay is for.
On Japanese Steam the release date of DS3 is still listed as April 12, or I would have bought it on the PC instead.

Anyway I don't intend to talk much about the game other than to say it seems very much like 1 right now, only with a few clear callbacks to 2 and one very Bloodborne looking type of enemy.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 24, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Amazon will have another wave of PSVR Launch Bundle preorders tomorrow

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/23/11295492/amazon-sony-platstation-vr-bundles-sale

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If its the same 5th track as the beta (3 laps on a drift area, large uphill climb after the first drift, hole that shoots you to the finish line) there's no trick, you just need to avoid catching too much air off the hump. I did it by erring right a tad on the hole jump.

You can still catch some air but I always had to at least touch the boost area to set it off. Imo catching air at all on that part is loving up your time.

I obsessed over that track time in the beta and ended up like 7th in the US.

It's that one! I must be just too far off the ground, thanks; I'll keep the other tips in mind too. I played the free trackmania one years ago and I loved it, this one's really scratching an itch. The multiplayer seems awesome too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really wish there was more to scratch the action horror itch on PS4. I can't even really think of anything other than Evil Within which I didn't like. I'd kill for a Dead Space trilogy or something.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Aphrodite posted:

Or in secret for the government working on autonomous death machines.

Best post.

NESguerilla posted:

Finally got around to finishing Uncharted 2 for the first time as well as a replay of UC3. I gotta say I still don't get why UC2 is still so widely considered the best in the series. Maybe it's nostalgia for people, but 3 feels better to me in just about every way. The gameplay and graphics are unquestionably better. I also found it to have the best set pieces and I think overall the story was paced better. The story definetly had a couple of glaring problems (mainly Chloe and Cutter just disappearing and Syria lasting way too long) and there were also a couple of absolutely obnoxious gameplay segments near the end (holy poo poo fighting those djinn guys while hallucinating as well as the endless grenade spam sucked) but otherwise I really thought it was the best entry in the series.

NESguerilla posted:

I will agree that the way the enemies trickle in can get very annoying. I think the series in general has a problem with dragging out enemy encounters too much. Usually once an encounter feels like it should be over there is at least 2 more waves to deal with.

Maybe I'm just crazy but the boat graveyard and cruise ship was one of my favorite parts in the series visually as well as gameplay-wise.

Looking at uncharted now there's some things about the series that could really be improved. That's part of why I'm so excited for the new one. Between TLOU and the UC4 beta I think Naughty dog has come a long way and are always striving to out do anything they've done. UC4 is going to be great.

As someone said, UC2 is so well remembered because it blew everyone's expectations out of the loving water. Honestly, I might be alone here, but I think UC2 saved Sony's whole PS3 generation, alongside the slim PS3. It was THE game, THE exclusive, technically ahead of everything at the time in terms of presentation plus a surprise multiplayer mode that rocked (3player CO-OP!). The PS3 was a pretty barren system before UC2 and Sony still had a lot of bad press at the time, but after ND dropped their nuke the PS3 had good news for like a year straight, until the PSN hack of course.

Expectations were astronomical for UC3 and while I think it would've benefited from a few extra weeks of touch up time (you'll notice Naughty Dog gets as many delays as they want these days, they aren't making that mistake again) it also wasn't as far ahead of other games as 2, even though it's a technical marvel. Too bad about the jilted story beats. I generally think the love triangle bit in UC2 works super well, but I'm also one of those people who thinks UC2 overstayed its welcome in Shambala. When people think fondly of UC2 they generally don't remember invincible blue people that can only be killed with arrows. I think UC2 is solid all the way through the Mountaineering chapter, but gets spotty after that. The monastery is awesome and so is the tank battle, but there's a bunch of filler in there at the end, too.

UC3 has the opposite problem. It starts off pretty weak and gets super strong at about the halfway point, then levels off. You're absolutely right, gameplay-wise, the boat graveyard and cruise-ship are some of the finest level design ND has ever done, and I think those sections are every bit equal to UC2's Urban Warfare + Train sections. The Fort and desert sections are awesome but the Plane and any sections with Salim are criminally short.

Anyways, great series. They aren't tlou, but they made tlou possible and that's pretty rad. UC4 seems like a great way to end the whole thing. I really should pick up the collection and replay 3.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NESguerilla posted:

Really wish there was more to scratch the action horror itch on PS4. I can't even really think of anything other than Evil Within which I didn't like. I'd kill for a Dead Space trilogy or something.

Same. I really hope we get some good action horror this year. It's a wonderful genre that hasn't gained a lot of traction lately for some reason.

I miss the days of super gory games/horror games/creepy games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did ya'll play Alien: Isolation yet? It not so much action-horror as just horror, though. or Stealth-Horror, I guess.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

NESguerilla posted:

RE6 and RE5 will be out soon. There is also RE Revelations 2 but I didn't like it as much as part 1.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NESguerilla posted:

RE Revelations 2? It's not amazing but it's fun enough.

RE 6, 5 and 4 will be out eventually if you haven't played those to death already.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
RE5 is getting a ps4 remaster? That's somewhat exciting...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's the first time I've heard anyone actually get excited about RE5. Since it came out, anyway.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sakurazuka posted:

That's the first time I've heard anyone actually get excited about RE5. Since it came out, anyway.

Im loving stoked. I played RE5 way too much, bought it twice on both 360 and PS3, and will be buying the remaster day one. I love that game.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

add me for edf: alteredmoniker

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I like it for its excellent coop. I did not like RE6's coop at all. My BFF doesn't really game, and she doesn't play shooters where you have to work both sticks at the same time. So RE5, Lumines, Mean Bean Machine, and Clash of Heroes are the only games we play. I wish Clash of Heroes would come out on PS4, because it's annoying to have to turn the 360 back on for it all the time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have fond memories of RE 5. I didn't follow games as closely back then so I just thought of it as a follow up to my favorite game at the time and was really happy with it. The co op was super fun. I want to go back and see why people hated it now that I'm a grumpy gently caress. It admittedly wasn't very scary but I remember the gameplay being really good.

On the other end of the stick I hated RE 6 and only played it for a few hours but I kind of want to go back in with an open mind and try it again. I remember I was annoyed at the time that they were going towards pure action. I will be buying it on ps4 though because as mentioned in pretty starved for a game like that right now. Also iirc RE6 has a ton of content.

Really wish they had just done a resident evil collection with all of the remasters though instead of staggering them out like they are doing though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure that RE5 was lame single player, but I wouldn't know since I couch co-oped the whole thing for like a hundred hours.

Coop mercenaries was the poo poo. So much yelling and failure and so much planning and skills.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

RE5 was definitely better co-op than solo. I remember being disappointed that RE5 completed the series transformatoin from atmospheric horror to pure action (RE4 did a better job of straddling the line, which was great for pacing). I was playing single-player and just irritated at the lack of spookiness. Then like a year later I sat down with a buddy and played for a couple hours and had a blast.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I bought that RE1 remake remake when I was drunk and then I never touched it but I really need to, I remember that poo poo blowing my mind on the GameCube when I was like 14. Kind of afraid it won't live up to my expectations though, those games just move soooooo slowly and I don't have the attention span I used to. Holy poo poo though it freaked me out so much when I first realized that enemies were now able to chase you between rooms. That was really a hell of a remake and I love all the little twists they threw in just to gently caress with people who played the original

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, RE4 is a great single player experience that has good gameplay and fantastic atmosphere. RE5 has good controls and I personally like the inventory system changes, but it's setting and story are really generic, and it borrows heavily from its predecessor in shallow ways. So it's definitely a poor successor as a single player game, but it really shines as a coop game. There aren't a lot of those, and this one is designed for it from the ground up, not as a tacked-on feature.

I would rank it above gears of war and army of 2 as far as coop campaigns go.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Uncharted 2 is so well remembered because it might be one of the best paced games ever made. It does great action set pieces and really small moments equally well and knows just when to slow things down and speed things up. U3 isn't a bad game at all but in that respect its just all over the place and you can really feel the problems it had in development,

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Personally I think 2/3rds of Uncharted 3 is paced better than 2 is. It's just that when it stumbles, it's a little harder than 2 ever does. I felt like almost everything in 2 was a little longer than it needed to be, and 3 is mostly really good with a few parts that just totally drag. The castle in Syria being the worst because it's super long, dull looking and also where the story feels like it temporarily gives up.

Although I'd almost say that Shangri la or whatever in UC2 drags as bad , and like Beanpole said those blue guys are awful. You can kill them will bullets though. I never used a crossbow on them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

NESguerilla posted:

Personally I think 2/3rds of Uncharted 3 is paced better than 2 is. It's just that when it stumbles, it's a little harder than 2 ever does. I felt like almost everything in 2 was a little longer than it needed to be, and 3 is mostly really good with a few parts that just totally drag. The castle in Syria being the worst because it's super long, dull looking and also where the story feels like it temporarily gives up.

I'd say this is accurate.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'm currently playing through UC3 for the collectibles and Crushing and I'm just as disappointed as before. I like some fundamental parts and the ship graveyard/ship interior remains the one section of the whole game that feels well thought out and delivered. But it feels like a Star Wars prequel by hopping between too many environments too many times without any story connection between them.

The chase with the mentalist henchman on the streets lasts too long, I kind of realized that Cutter leaving the story highlighted that he wasn't well integrated into the first half of the story, and Chloe is repeating the same script as Elena. But I love the concept of the story and Marlowe has the core of a great opponent. Like the table sit down with Drake after he gets drugged is really nice.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I played re5 coop and had a lot of fun with it. it's not a great game by any means, but it is fun. coop helps even bad games tho

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The ship graveyard is the best setpiece/combat sequence in the entire Uncharted series.

It's a pity the ending is such a pathetic wheezing anticlimax

Also, Nathan Drake is supposed to be the new Indiana Jones, I know, but goddamn U3 is a beat-for-beat remake of Last Crusade

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RE5 had dope couch co-op, but RE6 had the MOST dope couch co-op because you could team up to set up slide tackles into suplexes and all kinds of crazy poo poo. RE6 was a crazy fun brawler, especially the Jake chapters.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yo let's get that EDF 4.1 goon train rolling again.
PSN: BigBoswell

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Whoa I played the original PC game a long time ago but I didn't realize that Trackmania is basically just Trials in 3D now. There's a substantial demo version available, if you like the Trials games it's definitely worth checking out

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
The lack of donut drake was the only major thing that made UC3 worse than UC2

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-in-theory-playstation-4k-is-real-but-why-is-sony-making-it

So Eurogamer are now saying the PS4k thing is really happening. No idea what Sony and to an extent MS (Phil Spencer has said this is definatly a possibillity), are doing here. It really just doing what mobile phones have been doing for years but I don't know if gamers would go for it.

More I read about it more I just think it's Sony experimenting on PS5.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I have a feeling the new PS4 is just going to be a hardware revision with a die shrink and support for 4k video output for movies. Maybe an integrated VR breakout box, but that might get SKU messy since they would need a VR pack without the box.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

abagofcheetos posted:

I have a feeling the new PS4 is just going to be a hardware revision with a die shrink and support for 4k video output for movies. Maybe an integrated VR breakout box, but that might get SKU messy since they would need a VR pack without the box.

Eurogamer posted:

PS4K could simply be a smaller, leaner version of the existing hardware, with revised 4K media and (potentially) HDR support.

This sounds more and more likely to me, I'd be very surprised if Sony puts out a more powerful machine this early into its (very successful) life cycle. I think we're looking at the PS4 Slim.

It would be console suicide otherwise.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Did anybody else preorder and purchase the new Trackmania? Mine has been paid for, downloaded and released and they are still asking me to pay for the full version :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

Did anybody else preorder and purchase the new Trackmania? Mine has been paid for, downloaded and released and they are still asking me to pay for the full version :colbert:

I didn't pre-order it but I heard other people had issues with it. Buying it outright worked fine.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't pre-order it but I heard other people had issues with it. Buying it outright worked fine.

Fair enough. I emailed customer support so hopefully I can get it all resolved :) I need my goddamn Trackmania fix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

NESguerilla posted:

Maybe I'm just crazy but the boat graveyard and cruise ship was one of my favorite parts in the series visually as well as gameplay-wise.

Same.

3 also had the Mansion fire, which I think is one of the best set pieces in the game, but tends to get overlooked becuase it's not on the same scale as helicopter blowing up a building etc. In terms of spectacle, which is what I play these games for, 3 is my favourite.

• Locked thread