Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like Defensive Forward because it's a nice simple set of instructions without an over the top attacking mentality so it'll look backwards and play in others sometimes instead of constantly charging forward like an AF-A will. The closing down aspect doesn't seem to do much (and will depend on player attributes), and it still makes runs in behind/drifts wide etc. when the options are on.

My DF was by far my top scorer partnered with a CF-A and AM-A behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I've found CF-A to be the best way to get goals out of my lone strikers, and CF-S if they aren't as good in front of goal but have good passing/dribbling. But then I actually like to have that one player charging forward constantly

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I found a weird thing when forced into odd formations by injuries. Two false 9 supports and 1 cm a (with an attack minded player) resulted in the opposition dcs marking/closing down the f9s and the cm a running through the gap and getting the ball 1on1 bunch of times. When it worked it was beautiful stuff just couldn't get any consistency with it.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
After struggling to make a 4231 work in my QPR save, I finally gave up and started looking at tactics online. I downloaded a couple (Maffa, CALLY MAC) that would work with my players, but didn't have much more luck. Out of desperation, I switched back to a defensive 442. We're scoring 3 or 4 goals a game, conceding 2, and being praised for our attacking style of play. It's hard to complain.

Formation is
CF-A, P-A
W-A, BWM-S, BBM-S, W-A
WB-A, CD-D, CD-D, WB-A

Mentality is Defensive, shape is Flexible, and instructions are Normal temp, Slightly Higher Defensive Line, Fairly Narrow, Sometimes Closing Down, and Exploit both flanks. I thought I had Look for Overlap in there, but apparently not.

QPR is currently 4th in the league and just won the group in our first Champion's League campaign.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The only thing defensive about that is the name of the mentality.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's quite trendy to these days to have an attacking tactic with a defensive mentality. We may need an overhaul of the ME at this point.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's quite trendy to these days to have an attacking tactic with a defensive mentality. We may need an overhaul of the ME at this point.

It's just another issue of misleading labelling. It makes sense to be more patient and take less risks the more men you commit to forward areas. Unfortunately FM calls that approach Defensive.

And vice versa. If you hold men back those that do push forward need to be quick and more adventurous in their play, and can be because you're protected against the counter. On Attacking defensive players play short passes and forward players play direct.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I post, the game hits January, and the mid-season slump begins. Am I alone in seeing this? It's like the game hits January 1 and decides that whatever tactic you're using has been found out and adjusts other teams' mentalities to counter it.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Humbaba posted:

I post, the game hits January, and the mid-season slump begins. Am I alone in seeing this? It's like the game hits January 1 and decides that whatever tactic you're using has been found out and adjusts other teams' mentalities to counter it.

It's your tactics.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Humbaba posted:

This goes back literally almost a decade; I remember encountering it in FM '08.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Were you punching above your weight? If so then the opposition have stopped seeing you as a soft touch and started dealing with you as a threat. Your match odds will have changed to reflect that as teams realise you are the form side and a potential title threat. So they will play more defensive against you.

That or did you gently caress up Christmas and end up with an unfit, tired team?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There is no deliberate move by the ai to invalidate your tactics but a combination of the reputation system and the ai taking half a season to get their own tactics fluid results in pretty much the same thing.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Masonity posted:

Were you punching above your weight? If so then the opposition have stopped seeing you as a soft touch and started dealing with you as a threat. Your match odds will have changed to reflect that as teams realise you are the form side and a potential title threat. So they will play more defensive against you.

That or did you gently caress up Christmas and end up with an unfit, tired team?

It's QPR in 3rd place. We're punching way above our weight to the point that we were favored against Man City (and indeed won the match). Of course, first place Arsenal just stomped us 1-5.

What I've ended up doing is adding a new tactic that moves my two wingers to AML and AMR with a counter mentality. That's helped with the lesser quality teams, at least.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just created a new game and some obscure youth players from Brazil have attributes in ranges rather than single values. Did I accidentally turn on attribute masking? Or is it because I set player knowledge too low?

e: Or both?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vegetable posted:

I just created a new game and some obscure youth players from Brazil have attributes in ranges rather than single values. Did I accidentally turn on attribute masking? Or is it because I set player knowledge too low?

e: Or both?

Why would anyone play without attribute masking?

Casuals itt

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sassassin posted:

Why would anyone play without attribute masking?

Casuals itt
I didn't care for it when they introduced it 17 years ago and so never gave it a chance

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Still playing FM15 but I've run into a funny problem with PSG. It's Feb and I've yet to lose a match in any competition, headed towards a treble and potential CL glory. And yet, Zlatan, Cavani, Veratti, Van der Wiel, have all expressed leaving for a better division bc PL teams want them. In short, am I going to lose every player I ever have because Ligue 1 is a poo poo coefficient or can I safely ignore all of this and let them go on frees later after I've run their legs into the ground?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Probably not smart to keep a whole team of unhappy players but if they're that much better than what you can get to replace them it's likely worth holding on to a few.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I always just tell them to gently caress off and there's a good chance that if they're happy otherwise you'll get a message in like a week that they're now happy to stay

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Luckily bids didn't materialize for any of them so they eventually dropped the issue. The only one who persists is Veratti whose moaning over reaching later stages of the CL. We're in the semi-final against Barca so lets see how it goes.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

If anyone is still looking to get the game pretty cheap, it's currently part of a Sega Humble Bundle. Right now you can get it, and 9 other games for under $7.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

XBenedict posted:

If anyone is still looking to get the game pretty cheap, it's currently part of a Sega Humble Bundle. Right now you can get it, and 9 other games for under $7.

It's only a coupon for 66% off.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

XBenedict posted:

You get 66% off the game. Not the game itself.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Masonity posted:

You get 66% off the game. Not the game itself.

Fair enough. Still pretty cheap.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i just logged the second greatest tippelegaen season on the leaderboards with valerenga...

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Ended up playing a lot of the game over Easter. As hard as I try to enjoy it (and am doing pretty decently with a promoted Leicester side), it just drags me kicking and screaming out of the experience when it feels like every opposition goal is either:

1. Header from a set piece (which I know is probably my tactics but absolutely nothing I have tried works)

2. Byline cross converted at far post

It also feels like an awful lot of goals are scored by ludicrous glitches in the match engine that go completely unacknowledged by the commentary. So many goals resulting from missed routine headers, midfielders inexplicably threading a backpass through to an offside striker, tackles sailing across goal to an unmarked winger or terrible backpasses from defenders. Yes, yes, I know that these things happen IRL or it's just the match engine manifesting a too high defensive line or whatever the gently caress but the fact of the matter is that this is what we're presented with and it simply isn't fun or enjoyable to watch a match outcome be effected by the match engine losing its poo poo.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Adrianics posted:

Ended up playing a lot of the game over Easter. As hard as I try to enjoy it (and am doing pretty decently with a promoted Leicester side), it just drags me kicking and screaming out of the experience when it feels like every opposition goal is either:

1. Header from a set piece (which I know is probably my tactics but absolutely nothing I have tried works)

It also feels like an awful lot of goals are scored by ludicrous glitches in the match engine that go completely unacknowledged by the commentary. So many goals resulting from missed routine headers, midfielders inexplicably threading a backpass through to an offside striker, tackles sailing across goal to an unmarked winger or terrible backpasses from defenders. Yes, yes, I know that these things happen IRL or it's just the match engine manifesting a too high defensive line or whatever the gently caress but the fact of the matter is that this is what we're presented with and it simply isn't fun or enjoyable to watch a match outcome be effected by the match engine losing its poo poo.

I still just get the 'both cbs mark one striker, ignore everything else in the area' goals, but then that does seem to happen routinely in reality when I watch teams like Guatemala so maybe my players are just that bad

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Adrianics posted:

I agree, this is the least fun version I've ever played and it's all because of the terrible match engine

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

I agree, this is the least fun version I've ever played and it's all because of the terrible match engine

I also agree.

I've found one tactic that works for me and have stuck to it as everything else I try results in conceding to crosses all the time.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
It's especially loving frustrating because the ME in the beta was actually pretty good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Was Fifa any good this year?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just beat Southampton 6-1. They were the better team. Two of my goals were offside, whole match was bad and hard to watch.

Still annoyed I conceded that late penalty, though.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is it just me or did they do away with the line for offside replays? Can't remember seeing one for ages and even when they did have it, they never seem to show it for goals that were offside but still awarded.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think they've only ever shown it for disallowed goals that were called offside, and I think if you're not seeing those replays it's your settings, mate (replays aren't set to Goal Action).

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

sassassin posted:

Was Fifa any good this year?

No. I sold my copy after two months. Truly it was poo poo.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

you guys are idiots if you think you can only score from crosses. You can only score from crosses if you use wingers, try to widen the play, and play deep. Like in real life, it's easiest to break down an organized defense through the wings. Only like Barcelona et al can consistently create chances through the middle of the pitch.

If you want more of your goals to come through the middle of the pitch (and you're managing a mediocre side), you need to press higher up, get stuck in, and win balls in scenarios where you can release a man through early. I score a decent amount of goals of crosses, but I also score a ton through the middle of the pitch against a scrambling defense because I set up my pressing correctly.

In terms of the AI, i'd agree that they score a disproportionate amount of their goals from crosses, or the immediate aftermath, but it's also likely that that's because you're playing an organized defense that yields those sort of chances. If you played 4-4-2, high up the pitch, with an offside trap, with your wingers and fullbacks double marking theirs, you'd likely concede most of your goals through the middle of the field. I don't have evidence to corroborate this theory because I hate playing like that, but it stands to reason. The match engine isn't a gimmick as much as FM players likely have similar ideas about how football 'should' be played

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

The problem isn't that you can only score from crosses, its that it's insanely easy to make a tactic which sees your fullbacks unmarked and then a striker smash in the cross every second time, because defenders just don't attack the ball from crosses at the byline or from deep and let strikers run unmarked all the time

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

This thread is dead but I just want to come in and gloat as I just pulled a Leicester.

Took over Red Star in Ligue 2. Expected to finish lower mid table. Ran away with the league and got promoted despite only signing one player (in January). Second season started poorly before a great run at the end saw us come in fifth spot grabbing a Euro spot. Third season. We qualify for the group stage but get a hard group (Feyenoord, Fenerbahce, and a tycoon owned Braga) and come in third and are knocked out. Go on a cup run and win the French League Cup and then went on and won the league by four points despite PSG doing their normal thing and buying everyone.

Craziest thing about this is I really didn't have any money. My most expensive player was Morgan Sanson who I picked up for 6.5 million pounds from relegated Montpellier (who was our player of the year, young player of the year and has just been called up for the World Cup squad) but after that the next was 3 million and 2.5 million. To sign these guys I had to sell the better players in my team too. I thought I was going to gently caress it all up when my striker, Emmanual Emenike (on a free after basically not playing for two seasons), did his Achilles and would be out for 5 months. He'd banged home 28 in 39 starts and was on absolute fire. Fortunately my back up managed to score a few goals in the last five or so games to help clinch the title. Probably my biggest achievement in all my years playing FM.

It was strange, as soon as I won the title pretty much all my players values rocketed.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Dominated possession and lost 2-3. 3 shots, 3 goals, all from set pieces.

This is me officially declaring that I am done with this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Adrianics posted:

Dominated possession and lost 2-3. 3 shots, 3 goals, all from set pieces.

This is me officially declaring that I am done with this game.

Okay, Arsene.