Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

A lot of you seem to have forgotten some key details about Star Marine. Star Marine technically did exist/was released in the public SC build, it just had to be hacked into working via manipulating/datamining the files- it was evidently more or less playable on the builds prior to that large-world engine changes. Here's (I think) the last video ever released regarding SM: https://vimeo.com/138360203

Why they didn't release it, my best assumption (and the prevailing understanding) is that even if they did let people try it it could only be temporary because the changes they were making converting the engine to 64-bit were started on a separate branch months prior. Essentially, the work they were doing was completely worthless other than the art. Why they continued working on it even though they knew it would all have to be scrapped? Bad management most likely.

Another detail, which is the most important I feel, is the fact that the devs behind SM themselves said the game just wasn't very fun :v: I distinctly remember some media/devblog where they pretty much said that verbatim, that they needed to make the game more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Where's Illfonic's Star Marine? I want to see it! Was it completed as contracted when you guys killed it, or was it only a partial work? The real truth will likely be lost to the ages.

Somebody leak that poo poo!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

grimcreaper posted:

If i remember the story correctly, he never went to the hospital. People analyzed the video and realized he had many scary from previous times doing the same thing...

God that was a horrifying thing to see and to this day its one of the only things i regret getting tricked into seeing.

anal-yzed the video

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Lack of Gravitas posted:

:cawg:

- Lochlain O'Gravitas, Esq.

I lol'd

- the spam

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Saint Drogo posted:

2.3 combat previews are up

I coughed/laughed a mouth of food on my catty from this. nearly choked. I should sue.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ManofManyAliases posted:

And I still don't have a clear answer . . .

You said you lurked for thousands of pages. Obvious lie. Not a good first impression. What a mess. Sad.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Hi Sandi

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Justin Tyme posted:

A lot of you seem to have forgotten some key details about Star Marine. Star Marine technically did exist/was released in the public SC build, it just had to be hacked into working via manipulating/datamining the files- it was evidently more or less playable on the builds prior to that large-world engine changes. Here's (I think) the last video ever released regarding SM: https://vimeo.com/138360203

Why they didn't release it, my best assumption (and the prevailing understanding) is that even if they did let people try it it could only be temporary because the changes they were making converting the engine to 64-bit were started on a separate branch months prior. Essentially, the work they were doing was completely worthless other than the art. Why they continued working on it even though they knew it would all have to be scrapped? Bad management most likely.

Another detail, which is the most important I feel, is the fact that the devs behind SM themselves said the game just wasn't very fun :v: I distinctly remember some media/devblog where they pretty much said that verbatim, that they needed to make the game more fun.

Even if it's a broken dead-end project, just release that poo poo. Just claim you changed directions, but here's a thing we did. Your backers paid for it.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Is the Gray JPEG Market still a thing, or did CIG put an end to that somehow? I feel like I haven't seen it mentioned in forever

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

XK posted:

You said you lurked for thousands of pages. Obvious lie. Not a good first impression. What a mess. Sad.

I'll get better

-MoMA

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

XK posted:

Even if it's a broken dead-end project, just release that poo poo. Just claim you changed directions, but here's a thing we did. Your backers paid for it.

I think they fear that if they release it, people will realise what a farce the current FPS mechanics are. And that would shed light on CIG loving up a giant set of contracted work. We can't have that.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'll get better

-MoMA

Don't sign your posts.

There's your answer.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

XK posted:

If they did this then the SC patches would be 60 GB instead of 30GB because they're essentially different games on different engines now, and it would require a separate launcher and everything.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

My guess is that even an 8v8 player count made it unplayable, given that Travis Day in May said that was the "target" meaning they hadn't achieved that and he'd spent weeks at Illfonic. Derek Smart said they binned it in July, then it wasn't till January or so CIG admitted they'd binned it. If they could have released it in any playable form, even separate like the hangar module, I'm sure they would have. But they couldn't devote the resources to fix the 32 bit version as they needed to get the large world 2.0 out for November or they were completely screwed.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I'm thinking of becoming a backer, what manner of princely sum is guaranteed to afford me respect?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I wonder if they SC subreddit mods changed something, I'm looking at some new threads and it says it has X amount of comments, but I only see one or two or even none :iiam:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jason Sextro posted:

I'm thinking of becoming a backer, what manner of princely sum is guaranteed to afford me respect?

4K - minimum

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Jason Sextro posted:

You'll want this one, friend

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Combos/The-Completionist-Digital

Only plebes spend only 4k on SC

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jason Sextro posted:

Well, plebs like MoMy here sit at 4k, so you obviously need to spend at least 40k to actually not be some kind of bottom-feeder.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Daztek posted:

Don't do it - you don't want to be like one of those crazy SC cultists that divorce their wives to play spaceships on the Internet.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Everyone here knows they aren't releasing the supposedly near-release Star Marine because it will gently caress up the narrative of the state of development of everything else. I'm just pushing it because if the outside narrative of everything being cool and good was correct, why not push out the supposedly finished product with the caveat that it's going to have no further development?

This "open development" project has a finished product and stuffed it in the trash. Even if it's a dead branch, if it's functional, release it. Spoilers aren't even an excuse as that only applies to SQ42. Just give your $110 million backers a thing to gently caress with. What's the harm, unless you're hiding something.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Reminder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEuY6-UM8VI

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRsEF953n0

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Daztek posted:

Yes, this looks guaranteed to maximize my immersion

has quite the ROI, I'll wager

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Daztek posted:

I wonder if they SC subreddit mods changed something, I'm looking at some new threads and it says it has X amount of comments, but I only see one or two or even none :iiam:

That's either hellbanning or Reddit's convoluted comment system. I've seen people attribute it to both. If it corrected itself after a little bit of time, I'd lean toward the latter, but I've seen hours old missing comments. I'm no Reddit expert, though, I only peruse the US and Worldwide news groups.

The Reddit comment system really is an absolutely unreadable mess.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

anal-yzed the video

Was it worth being written into the anals of history?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

GabrielMobius posted:

The pipeline for the game is so hosed. I know we like to rag on them not having a roadmap but it's obvious everywhere. They've done almost zero work on getting an actual flight model, but pushed 2.0 out the door to generate hype, despite their netcode being a buggy mess. They contracted out work on their FPS mechanics to a studio and implemented their '64-bit' change after said contractors had started work, likely why we've seen nothing of Star Marine. Nothing is thought through, nothing is done in a sane order.

I'm genuinely amazed there aren't more EightAces.

There are. They just happen to be talking to their closest friends, families and industry buddies - like me. We then disclose what we can, without putting them at risk.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
The INN "No Faith Required" thing reminds me of Expelled: "No Intelligence Allowed".

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

FrankieGoes posted:

Thanks for that, I thought there were at least two references, one saying a week and one saying ~40 hours, but wasn't 100% sure.

Found the 2nd reference, constellation in 60 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcoKythmkUs&t=505s

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

They just happen to be talking to their closest friends, families and industry buddies - like me.

Derek is families.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We're all family in the verse o7

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

XK posted:

That's either hellbanning or Reddit's convoluted comment system. I've seen people attribute it to both. If it corrected itself after a little bit of time, I'd lean toward the latter, but I've seen hours old missing comments. I'm no Reddit expert, though, I only peruse the US and Worldwide news groups.

The Reddit comment system really is an absolutely unreadable mess.

Depending on the subreddit settings either they're shadow banned so their comments never show unless a mod approves it or they have rules in place where a user comment must be mod approved to show up if they don't fit a specific requirement in their subreddit

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
MoMA - what did you think of EightAces latest post?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ahahahahaha!! And so the blame game begins. CALLED IT!!!!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

AP posted:

How is it Chris is so much worse at speaking now than he was in 2013?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

He just said it is not pay to win then stumbled as he pulled 'pay for convenience' out of his rear end because he just made it up on the spot, then he went on to describe how the game is a text book case of pay to win :lol:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Derek Smart, are you a Freemason?

No comment.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Reminder.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

ahahahahaha!! And so the blame game begins. CALLED IT!!!!

You so did as well!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

How is it Chris is so much worse at speaking now than he was in 2013?

As it increasingly dawns on him just how hosed he is, his anxiety shows more and more as time goes on. Or some such.

• Locked thread