Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Lets Pickle posted:

That's a little contrived since the wording isn't even the same. However those Clue tokens have such oddly worded flavor text, and the fact that they are Clue tokens, it makes sense that something would be hidden in there. Like, those flavor texts are so vague and generic that I wouldn't be surprised if they took the phrase "Remember this: they came as three" and devised 6 lame flavor texts around it (okay, the one about the tide is not bad). Why would they make 6 Clue tokens if not to hide some mystery? (Even though we knew it was Emrakul the whole time it's good to have a little more confirmation).

Also, apparently it works in all other languages, even though that led to some really weird translations. Earlier today I saw someone link to a reddit post where they have a bunch more context and "proof" than just this image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Voyager I posted:

I mean we also have random tentacles and poo poo growing off half the stuff in the card art so it's not exactly like it would be outta left field.

The Eldrazi were originally concepted as "Galactus-meets-Cthulhu," which would make Nahiri (the Harbinger) the evil Silver Surfer. The cultists' logo sure looks like the moon is sinking curved tentacles into Innistrad, and the cryptoliths could be the hooked ends of those tentacles.

Hell, the inverted Avacyn logo is basically an abstracted Emrakul.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Oath of Tamiyo
"In the name of the moon, I will punish you."

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

DurdleDuck posted:

Also, apparently it works in all other languages, even though that led to some really weird translations. Earlier today I saw someone link to a reddit post where they have a bunch more context and "proof" than just this image.

Yeah I just saw that and I'm convinced. The fact that it works in other languages and leads to weird translations means someone intentionally did this. I wonder how quickly they expected the mystery to last for? Probably at least until the prerelease but oh well.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Oath of Sorin
"For the sake of stability, I will keep watch."

Oath of Liliana
"For the sake of myself, I will keep watch."

Oath of Tamiyo
"In the name of the moon, I will keep watch punish you!"

Together with Jace, our heroes discover that even though Emrakul is indestructible, it can still be killed by -X/-X effects. Liliana reduces it to 0/0. Tamiyo was there too.
Jace is eaten just before Liliana can give her -15/-15. Or her spell needs a planeswalker snackrifice. Or anything really I don't care as long as it loving kills Jace deader than Urza.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I really hope it's bullshit because I honestly think Emrakul in Innistrad would be the dumbest thing.

Mechanically the Eldrazi are terrible multi-planar threats because they're loving colorless, they have a strong mechanical identity. Phyrexians make much better enemies because they're just Black and corruption, so you can either corrupt colored mechanics (Beast Within) or just have a bunch of black dudes be Phyrexians. Bolas makes a better multi-planar threat too, because he's one dude, so he can build an army of Whatever Thematic poo poo You Want For This Set.

But the notion of Emrakul showing up on Innistrad and it not being some eldrazi-pocalypse doesn't really fit the monster they've created unless they fart all over the set with Eldrazi-like mechanics.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I'm amazed that this is an uncommon. Maybe it's not as good as it looks? I mean, a 4 mana 3/1 flyer is borderline limited playable already, and discarding cards is less of a downside in this set than normal, so it seems pretty nuts.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

I really hope it's bullshit because I honestly think Emrakul in Innistrad would be the dumbest thing.

Mechanically the Eldrazi are terrible multi-planar threats because they're loving colorless, they have a strong mechanical identity. Phyrexians make much better enemies because they're just Black and corruption, so you can either corrupt colored mechanics (Beast Within) or just have a bunch of black dudes be Phyrexians. Bolas makes a better multi-planar threat too, because he's one dude, so he can build an army of Whatever Thematic poo poo You Want For This Set.

But the notion of Emrakul showing up on Innistrad and it not being some eldrazi-pocalypse doesn't really fit the monster they've created unless they fart all over the set with Eldrazi-like mechanics.
It also doesn't fit the other clues in the set. What do sea monsters, mutated humans with the 'Innsmouth look', and madness have to do with Emrakul? How or why would Emrakul be amplifying curses? Why is everything linked to the ocean?

The potential tonal dissonance combined with a lot of flavor text and art clues that point in a different direction convince me more than a vague message in flavor text.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 23, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

sarmhan posted:

It also doesn't fit the other clues in the set. What do sea monsters, mutated humans with the 'Innsmouth look', and madness have to do with Emrakul? How or why would Emrakul be amplifying curses? Why is everything linked to the ocean?

The potential tonal dissonance combined with a lot of flavor text and art clues that point in a different direction convince me more than a vague message in flavor text.

Because it's actually Marit Lage who woke up and decided to gently caress with a new Plane.

More realistic answer: Because the Moon controls the tide and Emrakul is loving with the Moon.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I dunno, they've had plenty of colored Eldrazi before, in Rise of the Eldrazi, but it's also possible they'll eschew Eldrazi brood entirely and focus on the warping effects of Emrakul. In ROE the Eldrazi titans weren't really distinct from one another, but they've taken a couple of sets to give Ulamog and Kozilek mechanical and flavor differences. I wouldn't be surprised to see Emrakul get the same treatment. I don't think they would bring Devoid back, or if they did there wouldn't be any mechanical synergies with it in Eldritch Moon, it would just be for flavor and to work with BFZ cards.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Isn't twisting living beings (as opposed to geography) explicitly one of Emrakul's gimmicks? Seems like what we've been shown on Innistrad fits the bill. Not saying it couldn't also be something else, but it's consistent with it being Emrakul.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Isn't twisting living beings (as opposed to geography) explicitly one of Emrakul's gimmicks? Seems like what we've been shown on Innistrad fits the bill. Not saying it couldn't also be something else, but it's consistent with it being Emrakul.
The thing is that twisting living beings is the secondary effect, the madness and loving with people's minds is the main thing that's happening. That's Kozilek and always has been. It was even emphasized in the OGW Uncharted Realms.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Please keep the branding consistent, our fans have come to expect watchkeeping. Gatewatching is why people play this game.

Lets Pickle posted:

I dunno, they've had plenty of colored Eldrazi before, in Rise of the Eldrazi

I wouldn't say "plenty" exactly. They had six, and they were all just Spawn-herders.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

sarmhan posted:

Madness has everything to do with Emrakul, that is kind of her thing. She physically and mentally warps living matter. She is pretty clearly hiding in/behind the moon, since that's where Avacyn's dark thoughts are coming from, and also the next set is called Eldritch Moon. The moon, in real life and presumably on Innistrad, strongly influences ocean tides (so does the sun IRL but that will probably be conveniently ignored on Innistrad). The moon's influence causes high tides, low tide is just what happens in places less affected by the moon's gravity. It's a lot more complicated in real life but for simplicity's sake high tides = greater influence from the moon = greater Emrakul's influence on Innistrad.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Note to self: HAVE WAY TO BLOCK UNINVITED GEIST.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Nice callback to Grasp of Phantoms

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

JerryLee posted:

Be more convincing if there was a sort of pattern to it, like if "they" had been the third word in its flavor text, and so on. As is, I'm calling coincidence (though I think it's still perfectly possible that Emmy will be involved on Innistrad).

All those tentacles hidden in card artworks are interesting though...

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Lord of Hats posted:

Hey, a card the Traft Graft might be okay on.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Seriously, if only so I don't have to see that creepy art on the back side.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

JerryLee posted:

Be more convincing if there was a sort of pattern to it, like if "they" had been the third word in its flavor text, and so on. As is, I'm calling coincidence (though I think it's still perfectly possible that Emmy will be involved on Innistrad).

Apparently the puzzle is linked to the Tamiyo's Journal numbers in each language.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Finally

E: aw beaten

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Going down 1 card to get back a 3/1 flyer seems like a good rate in a set with Madness and self-mill. Seems like it could easily beat your opponent down in draft if they don't have a good flying blocker.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

I love every single thing about this card

E: I mean that sincerely. It's moderately high powered in limited, the name is the best in loving years, the art is great, and the flavor text is good

Jen X fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 24, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hot take: modern is a better format right now than it's been since before Pod was banned.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Finally

E: aw beaten

It finally got spoiled and it is so worth it!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

GeneX posted:

I love every single thing about this set.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Because it's actually Marit Lage who woke up and decided to gently caress with a new Plane.

More realistic answer: Because the Moon controls the tide and Emrakul is loving with the Moon.

I really want it to be the return of Marit Lage, no joke. That would be so much better than Emrakul.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The flavor text on the front is so good.

And then it gets better on the back.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

That would be so much better than Emrakul.

That's not saying much.

I like Emrakul herself as much as the next man, but MORE ELDRAZI after OOO ELDRAZI would suck I think.

Personally, I'm betting on Slivers.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
What if emrakul was the marit lage all along :tinfoil:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lets Pickle posted:

I dunno, they've had plenty of colored Eldrazi before, in Rise of the Eldrazi, but it's also possible they'll eschew Eldrazi brood entirely and focus on the warping effects of Emrakul. In ROE the Eldrazi titans weren't really distinct from one another, but they've taken a couple of sets to give Ulamog and Kozilek mechanical and flavor differences. I wouldn't be surprised to see Emrakul get the same treatment. I don't think they would bring Devoid back, or if they did there wouldn't be any mechanical synergies with it in Eldritch Moon, it would just be for flavor and to work with BFZ cards.

The only thing worse than devoid is devoid without mechanical support. They had eldrazi spawn makers that were colored in the good eldrazi set, but they all made colorless spawn.

I just feel like jamming Emrakul into this set is the dumbest poo poo they could do from a creative standpoint and it would clash both flavorwise and mechanically (meaning the smart choice is not having it represented mechanically, which is not how they do things). There is always a market for dumb pandering though as evidenced by Reddit and this thread, so from a marketing standpoint it makes sense to cater to that crowd, but I will be disappointed.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Serperoth posted:

I like Emrakul herself as much as the next man, but MORE ELDRAZI after OOO ELDRAZI would suck I think.

I mean, even if this block is also ELDRAZI, that's still only a little more ELDRAZI than we'd have gotten in a row if it was still on the three-set block plan. They're at no danger of being overexposed in my eyes.

I really think that it'd be a good idea in general for consecutive blocks to be more closely connected via plot than they have been since ODY/ONS, since otherwise the storylines are going to get really cramped and rushed... like, you know, BFZ block, if you consider it by its lonesome.

If they can switch out the settings and some/all of the characters between blocks but keep the plot threads flowing smoothly, I'll be a relatively happy camper. That's basically what they did with the Weatherlight Saga, which is still the gold standard for long-arc Magic storytelling, damnation-by-faint-praise though that is.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I want Dominaria back so bad and an Urza card too

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Sharzak posted:

I want to see what's up with the Serra Angels now that Radiant is dead, Serra's Realm is destroyed, and Reya Dawnbringer is leading the whole kit and kaboodle. Having a new version of her could be fun.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kilo147 posted:

I want to see what's up with the Serra Angels now that Radiant is dead, Serra's Realm is destroyed, and Reya Dawnbringer is leading the whole kit and kaboodle. Having a new version of her could be fun.
Miniskirt Angels: The Set.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Is that a ghoulcallers bell on that door?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Yawgmoth posted:

Miniskirt Angels: The Set.

Nah, have them go all classic Valkyrie on us. That'd be rad as hell.

Like this. I would buy so loving much magic if the Angels were themed like this instead of skimpy armor.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Sharzak posted:

I would love to have Urza and Yawgmoth resurrected. I want to see new phyrexia decide they can't truly compleat themselves without his guidance so they bring him back and so the power rangers have to jump around the multiverse trying to find artifacts to bring Urza back so he can solve things.

They do and he's like "I'm just one guy, why can't you figure this out without me? What were you expecting? There is no easy solution, only War" and there's a giant loving war and Urza gets dirty as hell and Jace, the living guildpact becomes Jace the living guildbomb.

The whole brothers war / thran/phyrexian thing is hands down my favorite magic setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

I would love to have Urza and Yawgmoth resurrected. I want to see new phyrexia decide they can't truly compleat themselves without his guidance so they bring him back and so the power rangers have to jump around the multiverse trying to find artifacts to bring Urza back so he can solve things.

They do and he's like "I'm just one guy, why can't you figure this out without me? What were you expecting? There is no easy solution, only War" and there's a giant loving war and Urza gets dirty as hell and Jace, the living guildpact becomes Jace the living guildbomb.

The whole brothers war / thran/phyrexian thing is hands down my favorite magic setting.

This would be metal as hell. Do it Wizards.

• Locked thread