Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah that was really stupid. Jay did nothing to be considered a "mentor," except teach Barry a move that promptly got used against him during his first fight with Zoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

I am glad we got a return to form sub plot involving Iris.

Anyways, unsurprisingly this episode represents the season's low for its ratings: http://www.tvfanatic.com/2016/03/tv-ratings-report-the-flash-slides-to-low/

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
That month break was dumb and they deserve a few weeks of lower ratings for it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's sort of incredible how bad the writing has gotten.

"I'm a really smart scientist, but everyone passes me for promotions and awards and my salary is crap and therefore I will inject myself with this new drug I reverse-engineered (even though I was missing literally 66% of the ingredients and didn't know what the final product was supposed to do) and... go steal some wallets"

"Man, this drug is so awesome and I'm now the fastest girl alive! I think imma go vibrate and destroy some bridge (because I can!) and kill everyone on it"

Lol, okay. :rolleyes:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

"Nothing in life is promised except death"
"Edgar Allen Poe?"
"Kanye West"
:allears:

what a great episode

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus

lomzus posted:

I really started to laugh when Barry started screaming at the end, like I know that the show wants you to think that Jay was a big mentor or something to him but they never showed him as that.

You must have forgot:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

I like Wally's total pointless appearance. It did seem like maybe they were thinking of setting him and Jesse together? Maybe he can go try to find her and Barry's dad. Maybe Linda is there too.

Her meta detector went off when she met him. Might just be from being next to Barry, might be an easter egg.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I really, really hope that Trajectory's evil split personality wasn't foreshadowing anything to do with Zoom. I'd prefer time travel duplicates to evil split personality, SWTOR kind of soured me on that whole, already ridiculous, concept.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nephthys posted:

I really, really hope that Trajectory's evil split personality wasn't foreshadowing anything to do with Zoom. I'd prefer time travel duplicates to evil split personality, SWTOR kind of soured me on that whole, already ridiculous, concept.

Of course it was, that way Jay can be blameless and somehow walk away from this.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scyantific posted:

Yeah that was really stupid. Jay did nothing to be considered a "mentor," except teach Barry a move that promptly got used against him during his first fight with Zoom.

This makes a lot more sense after the whole "Jay is zoom" thing. (Zoom laughing at the lightning bolt attack, that is)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

BrianWilly posted:

I like Wally's total pointless appearance. It did seem like maybe they were thinking of setting him and Jesse together? Maybe he can go try to find her and Barry's dad. Maybe Linda is there too.
I think Wally at this point is considered a regular, so his contract requires at least some obligatory screen time. Which is completely ridiculous because he's so underused it's kind of laughable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wally's actor (his name escapes me, guess I'm a racist) was at C2E2 over the weekend in the autograph area and we never saw a single person in his line. Not even once and we spent a good amount of time in that area.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
But the Jay they knew almost certainly isn't Zoom, right? I'm new to this comic book logic poo poo but I'm pretty sure there are 4 Jays so far. Jay, Zoom, Mask guy, Dopelganger E1 Jay that was named something else. ..?

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Wally's actor (his name escapes me, guess I'm a racist) was at C2E2 over the weekend in the autograph area and we never saw a single person in his line. Not even once and we spent a good amount of time in that area.

I wonder how many times someone walked up to him and asked him questions about Legends of Tomorrow

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhyno posted:

It's probably because he is a terrible character who is nothing like Wally West.

Just like this show's Jay is a terrible character who is nothing like Jay Garrick. Who is the original flash and a better character then Barry. Barry has always been by far the weakest flash character wise after all.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

Haha oh man thats a :smith: situation but his character hasn't really done anything yet. Weird he'd even be at one of those.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

evilmiera posted:

So why is Barry so drat mad at the end of the episode?
Just another white cis-male meta losing his poo poo over the Jay Agenda.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I thought they would give a little hint about Jesse starting to have super speed at the end there but :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bring back old gbs posted:

Haha oh man thats a :smith: situation but his character hasn't really done anything yet. Weird he'd even be at one of those.

It reminded me of a Motor CIty con yeeeaars ago where Garret Wang (Harry Kim from ST Voyager) was in attendance and like every 30 minutes they went over the loudspeaker to let everyone know "THERE IS NO WAITING FOR AUTOGRAPHS FROM GARRET WANG."

Like, Harry Kim sucked but after the 4th time we started feeling sorry for the dude.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's probably because he is a terrible character who is nothing like Wally West.

He's also a terrible actor. I'm sure that contributes to his lack of fame.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

"My direct subordinate is asking me to grab a cup of coffee during work hours to discuss work related issues"
"this ..... this must be a date :downs:"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rhyno posted:

Imagine being that guy. You get cast to play Wally West, read a bunch of comics, maybe watch some of the old Justice League cartoon, just be like, "wow, I get to play such a fun, memorable, great character!"

and every week you get a new script, and every week, absolute poo poo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Seriously, going into this show expecting to be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=326s1ISaVRI

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus
Once he gets dem lightning bolts in his eyes, he'll get requests for autographs.

Episode was pretty good, definitely did not see it coming that Barry would have to run *faster* to finally beat the MOTW.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

lomzus posted:

I really started to laugh when Barry started screaming at the end, like I know that the show wants you to think that Jay was a big mentor or something to him but they never showed him as that.

And nobody actually believes that the same Jay that was "mentoring" him is Zoom so it makes it all silly.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The mentor problem ultimately comes down to "tell, not show" that the producers are heavily leaning on. Every interview about Jay being Zoom talks about what a mentor he was to Barry, but we never see that. Harry, for all his dickery, is far more a mentor to Barry.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Maybe Barry just hates Jays.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

lotus circle posted:

The mentor problem ultimately comes down to "tell, not show" that the producers are heavily leaning on. Every interview about Jay being Zoom talks about what a mentor he was to Barry, but we never see that. Harry, for all his dickery, is far more a mentor to Barry.

I wonder if there've been a bunch of scenes of Jay giving Barry advice that just keep getting cut. Like, every week they go "Oh, looks like we don't have time for that. Never mind, there's another one in next week's episode!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lotus circle posted:

Yeah, I've said this before but the plot outline for the season sounds great (if redundant) in my head:

- Jay shows up when Thawne has been defeated, and both Stein and Barry's dad are leaving and fills the mentor/father figure role
- Wells shows up and nobody trusts him because he looks like fake-Wells but also is a dick
- Wells and Jay dislike each other and vie for Barry's trust over the course of the season (instead of Jay running away at the first sign of disagreement with the team)
- the reveal happens and is genuinely impactful because we've seen a heroic Jay who clashed with the manipulative dick Wells, and they know that Zoom knows all their secrets

Honestly, this seems like the exact thing they were going for but bumbled it. I think the problem is they didn't want to give away the game with Jay too early. And that makes sense since they already did the "mentor betrays Barry and turns out to be an evil speedster after his speed" thing, but instead of not doing it at all or doing it well they decided to do it and just make it lovely by half assing it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Nephthys posted:

Oh you absolutely know it is. "But the V9 made me crazy and told me to steal your speed to fix myself!". If it makes a sane woman itch for a fix so bad she is willing to start putting bullets in people to get more I can see the writers using that as their jump off point on the forgiving Jay agenda. But we also already know that there's a pretty good chance that Jay, like Trajectory, never learns his lesson and eventually runs himself into speedforce dust. Barry might not have to actually do a god drat thing to stop Zoom. His over indulgence may be enough to kill himself like any other substance people get addicted to. Barry learns a lesson on not taking shortcuts... and trusting people... and that time travel is way more hassle than it is cool.

That would be the obvious ending but they spent so much time on Jay being a whiny little twat that it's obvious they were trying to speedforce us to "like" him. Which means they are probably going to go with a sympathetic angle.

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 24, 2016

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
This episode has been one of the most mediocre out of a mediocre season. Harry really needs to stop hoarsely whispering everything.

College Rockout posted:

"My direct subordinate is asking me to grab a cup of coffee during work hours to discuss work related issues"
"this ..... this must be a date :downs:"

Haha, yes. Then the response: "actually, I do want to date my boss who i seem to disagree on everything with even after recently spending time in a nightclub with my destined future love talking about how we're married in multiple realities.

Rurea posted:

"Nothing in life is promised except death"
"Edgar Allen Poe?"
"Kanye West"
:allears:

what a great episode

The only good part tbh

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Honestly any guy who keeps Iris away from Barry is a good man. Because the whole Barry-Iris thing is just cringe-worthy and doesn't work out. Besides now that both Barry and Iris know they are married in the future, it's starting to feel too much like the whole Hawkguy/Hawkgirl "we are destined to be together! disaster.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

On a separate note, I don't get how the team managed to take such huge leaps to figure out that Jay was Zoom, but utterly failed to take the next logical baby step, which is that Harry must have known all along, since he helped create Velocity back in Earth-2 and also said at one point that he was responsible for creating Zoom.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rhyno posted:

I honestly couldn't believe he was booked for the show when I saw him listed. He's only been in a handful of episodes and hasn't even done anything noteworthy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This season has had a bit of a sophomore slump, that's clear. It's a bit disappointing, since the second season of Arrow was so much better than the first. I'm not sure what I'd compare it to, because the gold (?) standard in sophomore slumps in genre shows for me is the second season of Heroes, and it was much worse than Flash.

There's still a few episodes where it could all come together and end strongly, of course, but it will be interesting to see what conclusions the post-mortem reaches. You know, like what was the decisive moment(s) that made things go a bit skew-whiff?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think this show has well passed the point of no return.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
After seeing BvSDOJ, I'm really glad they cast whatshisname instead of dragging poor Grant Gustin into that mess.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

howe_sam posted:

How "Law & Order"
:laffo:

I was waiting for Jesse Martin to look in to the camera and wink.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Imagine being that guy. You get cast to play Wally West, read a bunch of comics, maybe watch some of the old Justice League cartoon, just be like, "wow, I get to play such a fun, memorable, great character!"

and every week you get a new script, and every week, absolute poo poo

Or he was aware that they were casting the New 52 Wally since the one you're talking about got wiped from existence like 4 years ago.

I assure you Ben Affleck didn't think he'd be carrying Shark Repellent and fighting a Cuban Joker either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

Or he was aware that they were casting the New 52 Wally since the one you're talking about got wiped from existence like 4 years ago.

I assure you Ben Affleck didn't think he'd be carrying Shark Repellent and fighting a Cuban Joker either.

oh yeah, that was probably the first thing he asked. His agent tell him he has an audition for wally west, the very first thing out of dude's mouth was "Nu52 wally, pre-Crisis wally, or post-Crisis wally?"

• Locked thread