Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Doc Hawkins posted:

Uh, yeah, duh! It's the node way!
This is what happens when your brain is single-threaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My interpretation is they felt that the html tags would handle the formatting and gluing strings together with '+' would be sufficient.

I guess their conversations never made it to wondering what would happen if someone wanted to display a float or a formatted timestamp.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

I wonder how many npm modules like that wouldn't exist if JS had been designed with any sort of string formatting facility built in. For a language specifically designed with UI glue logic in mind, and which includes special syntactic sugar for describing regex patterns, it's a bizarre omission.

It's not without precedent, Java lacked String.join() for eighteen years.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Doc Hawkins posted:

Uh, yeah, duh! It's the node way!
I've got to admit, I''m extremely OK with this sort of "Just bolt in another library" thinking, but JFC a module to replace a one-line check for negative zero?

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
I can see the 270,000 line package.json now...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Honestly the thing that bugs me most about this is that apparently nobody keeps local copies of the libraries they depend on, so their build process depends on some remote package repository. Isn't that just screaming out for security leaks? Publish an innocuous library, get it incorporated into a few hundred thousand websites, make a seemingly-innocuous change with hidden ramifications, and bam, it goes live very nearly immediately. :psyduck:

(I mean, relying on a library for a simple string padding method is also kind of :psyduck: but it's understandable in the more general case to not want to reinvent the wheel)

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly the thing that bugs me most about this is that apparently nobody keeps local copies of the libraries they depend on, so their build process depends on some remote package repository. Isn't that just screaming out for security leaks? Publish an innocuous library, get it incorporated into a few hundred thousand websites, make a seemingly-innocuous change with hidden ramifications, and bam, it goes live very nearly immediately. :psyduck:

(I mean, relying on a library for a simple string padding method is also kind of :psyduck: but it's understandable in the more general case to not want to reinvent the wheel)

The great thing is the guy unpublished all his stuff. So anyone who noticed in time could have published something with the same names and new version numbers and easily have exploited to god knows how many projects. I have no idea why they don't have any sort of signatures or any basic form of security.

IronDoge fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 23, 2016

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

IronDoge posted:

If you wanted to concatenate things to a string repeatedly would you:

A) Write the couple lines of code for a function that does said task

B) Look up a library and add a dependency on your project perform the task for you

Well apparently a lot of people chose option B. Unfortunately for them, the author decided he was going to stick it to the man and unpublished his code from the NPM repository. Which left a lot of people with broken builds. Apparently it was so important it caught NPM's attention and they even rushed to un-un-publish it.

Behold, the code that broke a thousand builds:
code:
module.exports = leftpad;

function leftpad (str, len, ch) {
  str = String(str);

var i = -1;

if (!ch && ch !== 0) ch = ' ';

len = len - str.length;

while (++i < len) {
    str = ch + str;
  }

return str;
}
This guy also had a couple hundred other libraries he unpublished. Extra bonus: anyone can publish a new package with the same name and new version number and inject whatever kind of code they want into people's application. lol NPM

It gets even better. The guy unpuplished all his code because some lawyer sent NPM emails claiming one of his libraries had a similar / same name as some company, and NPM took down that lib. The guy then took down all of his other code.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

A lot of people do that, and there are a lot of things to help you do that (local npm registry, npm-shrinkwrap, etc.), you just don't see it because those people aren't complaining about how everything is suddenly broken.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
TooMuchAbstraction: I feel the same way. I tend to want to peg the version of dependencies and explicitly choose to upgrade them when new versions become available rather than relying unnecessarily on repositories outside my control. For small projects and dependencies you can even check those deps into your version control so that simply cloning the repository gives everybody exactly the right version of everything.

NPM seems almost intentionally designed to discourage this workflow by generating a bazillion tiny files for every package you install, so if you check the npm directory in it creates a huge mess. Automatically fetching dependencies at clone-time isn't nearly as bad security-wise as doing it on every build, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You mean something like ajax.googleapis.com? :v:

I have no idea about the implementation details of that site, but if you block it like 80% of all websites will stop functioning. I hope google treats it like fort knox.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Like someone mentioned, the sane thing that sane developers have been doing forever it to distribute their libraries with a hash or a checksum or signed. I don't know anything about npm, but it's surprising to find out that they just said gently caress it, or I guess it didn't even come up?

I get pissy when I try to build Rust program and there needs to be megabytes of bullshit downloaded. I suppose it isn't a big deal, but for some reason there are some Rust developers that apply the same line of thinking, that is to smush libraries together like two dolls kissing and then become self-righteous about it. Not only is it awkward, it's also just rude, like not putting a top-level folder in a tar/zip. That's not to say that they're all like that, I'm finding that people who enjoy writing rust code either used to be hardcore functional programmers (who are exempt from my disdain but still a little weird), or web developers who want to be "systems programmers" but not actually learn anything about how a computer works.

Also I never looked before but it seems that Cargo has the same problem as NPM with regards to security? Also, is autoconf and make really that painful for new programmers to figure out?

This is a good one ... https://github.com/kevva/is-positive

quote:

Note: This module doesn't consider 0 to be a positive number and doesn't distinguish between -0 and 0. If you want to detect 0, use the positive-zero module.
I need to find the project that uses all of these ...

vvv Yeah now that I think about it, I take that back. I can't really blame someone if they take a glance at using autoconf for the first time and say gently caress it. It works for me though :shrug:. Maybe I'm the weirdo that should start using cmake or something.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 23, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

autoconf is a horror.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

dougdrums posted:

vvv Yeah now that I think about it, I take that back. I can't really blame someone if they take a glance at using autoconf for the first time and say gently caress it. It works for me though :shrug:. Maybe I'm the weirdo that should start using cmake or something.

Cmake was designed by people who apparently thought that autoconf was just too sane and understandable.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
What are the cool kids using nowadays for their large builds then, that doesn't involve Java?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

dougdrums posted:

Not only is it awkward, it's also just rude, like not putting a top-level folder in a tar/zip.

wait, what? You mean that thing some people do of putting a pointless extra level in a zip? That's really annoying, why would you expect people to do that of all things?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
If you use a CLI unpacker, archives that don't contain a top level folder can very easily explode their files into the current directory and make a mess when you blindly say "extract all". If you use a GUI unpacker you're less likely to make this mistake. Whether you care or not probably predicts which type of tools you use.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Because I don't know if tar xf file.tar.gz is gonna gently caress up my home directory and I'm too lazy to list it before hand. I thought that was always the courtesy, in addition to doing it with torrents and whatnot. http://www.linfo.org/tarbomb.html

Internet Janitor posted:

Whether you care or not probably predicts which type of tools you use.
Hah, I always irritate myself a bit when I click on the "extract to new folder" option in winrar and it already has a top-level folder. I'm guessing that's probably what gets Hammerite too.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 23, 2016

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I've never heard of that before.

Internet Janitor posted:

If you use a CLI unpacker, archives that don't contain a top level folder can very easily explode their files into the current directory and make a mess when you blindly say "extract all". If you use a GUI unpacker you're less likely to make this mistake. Whether you care or not probably predicts which type of tools you use.

My perception of people who prefer to use command-line tools over GUI ones is that they're the kind of people who feel that they know what they're doing and like to have full control over everything at the cost of some user-friendliness. If you deliberately put yourself in that position then tbh it seems to me you can't complain when you then have to take extra care around things like that.

Less flippantly, it seems like the proper answer to this situation would be to have an option on the archive-unpacking tool that says "if the contents aren't in a top-level directory, then create one for me, named after the archive, and put the files in there instead" (or that could be the default behaviour and there could be an option to suppress it).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

IronDoge posted:

The great thing is the guy unpublished all his stuff. So anyone who noticed in time could have published something with the same names and new version numbers and easily have exploited to god knows how many projects. I have no idea why they don't have any sort of signatures or any basic form of security.

This actually happened already because of this fiasco. Though this looks like someone simply botched the publishing mechanism instead of pushing something nefarious.

http://www.drinchev.com/blog/alert-npm-modules-hijacked/

The idea that released packages aren't immutable and irrevocable ("delisting" is fine) is absolutely insane for a package management provider.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hammerite posted:

Less flippantly, it seems like the proper answer to this situation would be to have an option on the archive-unpacking tool that says "if the contents aren't in a top-level directory, then create one for me, named after the archive, and put the files in there instead" (or that could be the default behaviour and there could be an option to suppress it).

In some formats, like tar, you need to process the whole archive to determine if there is or isn't a common directory prefix. (You'd also have to do some file path interpretation, but only for edge cases.)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
TARs have top-level directories, ZIPs don't.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ExcessBLarg! posted:

TARs have top-level directories, ZIPs don't.

That's the common pattern, but sadly it's not enforced. (For good reason, really, but most often a lack of top-level directory in a tar file is just badness.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, if you feed tar a list of files it'll happily omit a top level directory.

Basically any time I get any archive I move it into a temp directory until I figure out what it has inside.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ika posted:

It gets even better. The guy unpuplished all his code because some lawyer sent NPM emails claiming one of his libraries had a similar / same name as some company, and NPM took down that lib. The guy then took down all of his other code.
Plot thickens. Turns out Kik (the app)'s website also depends on the unpublished library, so they were affected too. Justice?

So, the Kik guy posts about how they only made a "polite request", along with an email exchange that reveals he's a giant rear end in a top hat:

Kik rear end in a top hat posted:

We don’t mean to be a dick about it, but it’s a registered Trademark in most countries around the world and if you actually release an open source project called kik, our trademark lawyers are going to be banging on your door and taking down your accounts and stuff like that — and we’d have no choice but to do all that because you have to enforce trademarks or you lose them.

Azer posted:

:fuckoff:

There's a lot of horrors here, but the big technical one is that any of these people think you can actually change a package in a package manager to be something completely different. Sure you can do a major version increment, but still people are going to wonder why the hell a library they were using is completely different now.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 24, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's nothing giant rear end in a top hat in that email exchange except from azer.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I don't know, saying "We don’t mean to be a dick about it" in a professional context generally means you're being a dick about it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I must be missing the part of this trademark that covers a dozen lines of JavaScript to poorly pad strings:

quote:

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer software for use with mobile phones and portable computing devices to exchange, share and create text with other users; computer software for electronic messaging services; computer software for use with mobile phones and portable computing devices to exchange and share digital photos; computer software for use with mobile phones and portable computing devices to download audio, video, digital photos and programs; electronic payment systems, namely, a computer application software used for processing electronic payments to and from others; computer software for use with mobile phones and portable computing devices to create video and digital photos to share with other users; computer software for use with mobile phones to launch other applications and connect to other software services. FIRST USE: 20150900. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20150900

IC 036. US 100 101 102. G & S: Electronic payment services

IC 038. US 100 101 104. G & S: Electronic messaging services; wireless digital messaging services; telecommunications services, namely, electronic transmission of text messages; telecommunications services, namely, electronic transmission of digital photos; telecommunications services, namely, electronic transmission of audio, video, digital photos and computer programs; computer services, namely, providing interactive technology that allows users to create video and share audio and video with other users; telecommunications services, namely, providing computer software services for use with mobile phones and portable computing devices to create video and digital photos to share with other users. FIRST USE: 20150900. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20150900

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
To be fair if a patent agent started a sentence with, "We don't mean to be a dick about it-" I don't think I'd be too worried.

But besides that, if those emails are accurate yeah their patent agent was pretty civil otherwise, instead of being a big man baby, even if he was wrong. I mean with what Azer said, it probably actually now seemed like a liability to the folks at npm.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 24, 2016

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Didn't npm used to treat package versions in lexicographic order, as - 1.9.1 took precedence over 1.10.1. I vaguely remember something like this happening, but can't find anything about it atm.

Hammerite posted:

My perception of people who prefer to use command-line tools over GUI ones is that they're the kind of people who feel that they know what they're doing and like to have full control over everything at the cost of some user-friendliness. If you deliberately put yourself in that position then tbh it seems to me you can't complain when you then have to take extra care around things like that.

There's always the best of two worlds - Total Commander, or alternatives (although I hated muCommander on Mac).

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

pokeyman posted:

I must be missing the part of this trademark that covers a dozen lines of JavaScript to poorly pad strings:

The take-down of pad-left wasn't from Kik requesting it be taken down. Kik requested a package called 'kik' to be taken down, the author threw a tantrum and removed 'pad-left' only after 'kik' was removed for trademark or copyright or whatever reasons.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
http://www.haneycodes.net/npm-left-pad-have-we-forgotten-how-to-program/

quote:

There’s a package called isArray that has 880,000 downloads a day, and 18 million downloads in February of 2016. It has 72 dependent NPM packages. Here’s it’s entire 1 line of code: return toString.call(arr) == '[object Array]';

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

piratepilates posted:

The take-down of pad-left wasn't from Kik requesting it be taken down. Kik requested a package called 'kik' to be taken down, the author threw a tantrum and removed 'pad-left' only after 'kik' was removed for trademark or copyright or whatever reasons.

Touché. I'm therefore surely missing the part of that trademark that covers "a command-line tool and a library for creating projects by using starters".

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Touché. I'm therefore surely missing the part of that trademark that covers "a command-line tool and a library for creating projects by using starters".

:shrug: I'm not a lawyer, and neither was the guy sending the emails to people.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hammerite posted:

I use dtrx to extract everything. It does exactly that, and also saves me from having to remember how the command line options for tar work.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
It turns out that the whiny petulant child, in the process of throwing his tantrum and taking his ball and going home, also unpublished every module that he had contributor access to, not just his own modules.

But, you know, this wasn't a kneejerk reaction on his part.

n.e:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In summary, everyone involved was a dipshit, ignore NPM forever. End of lesson.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

nevermind me, im just sticking it to the man yo

*break the ecosystem of an entire language*

I'm not really sure who will come out worse, Azer or NPM. I'm betting NPM.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

pokeyman posted:

Without getting into excruciatingly boring detail:

1) Trademark infringement is based on comparing a number of factors to determine if consumers will confuse two marks. Having the same name for two software products from different sources could very likely be confusing.

2) Case law says that a trademark owner does not actually have to defend their trademark against all potential infringers, although there is a risk that a) their trademark may become a generic term and then be unprotectable (most famously aspirin, although there are other examples) or b) the owner may after enough time be unable to eventually enforce their rights against a particular person.

Disclaimer: the above is generic information from a US perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I remember, a few years ago, having a conversation with a developer who was working on a framework/ecosystem that was going to have its own package manager. One point he thought was important: make everything namespaced by user. So who cares about azer/kik if you have kik/framework or whatever.

Speaking as someone who works at a company who publishes packages with the name of our service on it, that medium post makes them look like tone-deaf idiot fuckers, and I would be absolutely disgusted if we did something similar, not from any moral argument, but because we want developers to like us and use our poo poo. Jesus christ, if the existing package actually has any usage, much less that and the maintainer seems cagey, then why not just call yours kik-js?

The dev comes out looking dumb, but kik comes out losing money. Their trademark legal team just damaged the value of their trademark, and should all be fired.

E: oh, also the marketing horror who thought that medium post counted as damage control

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 24, 2016