Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The starter weapon seems a little outdated by that point. How about your armor?

I started as a paladin but I was wearing the sodden knight armor (minus a piece or two) with either a greatsword or a greataxe by that point. I guess maybe that doesn't matter since they're elemental attacks. I did have the jack'o'lantern on my head for a veery long time. Anyway, they couldn't 1 shot me (but did do a ton of damage) and I could kill them in 2-3 heavy attacks.

In general strength seems very low priority and willpower almost zero priority. It's all about getting that endurance up to equip the next heaviest thing you can find. For 2h builds anyway. I threw down my shield long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I just grabbed this thing on a whim to keep myself sane while I wait for DS3, and I'm really enjoying it.

For the first hour of playing it or so, I really hated it. It just felt janky and lovely, and I hated the character designs. And then I got to the queen of smiles, and immediately fell into my "souls zen" where I was learning a little more, dying, and then repeating until she died. Now I'm completely hooked. Started with a paladin but I immediately stripped all his clothes off and now I'm rolling around with a pumpkin on my head and a claymore III shredding every goddamn thing in the world.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Finally beat the game, I had a lot of fun with it but there some issues that really hurt the experience for me. Well most are just nitpicks but the one issue that really dug me was in the last few areas of the game where 'Death from Gravity' numbers sky-rocketed to obscene levels. It just became super frustrating and dragged everything down.

Next run I'm gonna have to bring a buddy since co-op looks cool but I am DREADING the crazy deadly platforming in later areas.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

platforming is easier in coop since you can just open the inventory and teleport right to the other guy

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I got the brand from the dude for the cloud platforms but when I jump on them I fall through. How do I do this?

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Feenix posted:

So I got the brand from the dude for the cloud platforms but when I jump on them I fall through. How do I do this?

You need a lit torch.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Platypus Farm posted:

I just grabbed this thing on a whim to keep myself sane while I wait for DS3, and I'm really enjoying it.

For the first hour of playing it or so, I really hated it. It just felt janky and lovely, and I hated the character designs. And then I got to the queen of smiles, and immediately fell into my "souls zen" where I was learning a little more, dying, and then repeating until she died. Now I'm completely hooked. Started with a paladin but I immediately stripped all his clothes off and now I'm rolling around with a pumpkin on my head and a claymore III shredding every goddamn thing in the world.

The game definitely clicked for me there too. It's a little hard to adjust and I think the game gets much better the further along you get and the more mobility options you unlock. You feel very weighed down at the start of the game, which does very well capture the Souls vibe, but the game feels and plays a lot better once you have a bit more freedom to do more than just roll and swing.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The game definitely clicked for me there too. It's a little hard to adjust and I think the game gets much better the further along you get and the more mobility options you unlock. You feel very weighed down at the start of the game, which does very well capture the Souls vibe, but the game feels and plays a lot better once you have a bit more freedom to do more than just roll and swing.

I think the biggest hump for me was the dodging/rolling mechanic. Like how in souls, you dodge to avoid a weapon, but in this one you can just dodge straight through it. I think I finally GOT IT when I accidentally rolled through QoS's "both swords on the ground, run at you" move and I was like "oh poo poo THAT is how it works."

The only other criticism I have is that I don't really like the secret doors. It feels too much like wandering around in Doom humping the wall by mashing spacebar until some random wall opens. I'd rather them open via hitting, but that's a pretty tiny whine.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Usually other players will leave a message bottle in front of hidden doors so you don't have to scour

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Platypus Farm posted:

I think the biggest hump for me was the dodging/rolling mechanic. Like how in souls, you dodge to avoid a weapon, but in this one you can just dodge straight through it.

No this is pretty much exactly how you do it in souls games too. Dodging into attacks places you in contact with them for the least amount of time, so you're more likely to be invincible for any frames you are in a hitbox. So counterintuitively the best way to avoid attacks is to throw yourself into them. It's true for almost any action game where the dodge makes you invincible such as lords of the fallen and monster hunter.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Wow, you have to hit CIRCLE to open the illusory walls. This whole time I thought you had to attack them and wondered why I couldn't find any.

Also is it impossible to wear the heaviest armor without a maxed character or what? I got every clustered endurance node anywhere near heavy armor or great axes and I still can't wear the whole titan set. Maybe it's something you're not supposed to be able to do while wielding a big 2h?

Seems like the whole rest of the skill tree only has endurance nodes here and there too.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The final optional boss fight is fun for followers of the Three. Murdering your own gods just has that authentic Souls bleakness.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Digirat posted:

No this is pretty much exactly how you do it in souls games too. Dodging into attacks places you in contact with them for the least amount of time, so you're more likely to be invincible for any frames you are in a hitbox. So counterintuitively the best way to avoid attacks is to throw yourself into them. It's true for almost any action game where the dodge makes you invincible such as lords of the fallen and monster hunter.

DS2 is a little weird though , the invincibility frames on rolls kind of suck til you get some points into adaptability. Glad they got rid of that stat for DS3 because it felt a little too necessary (although I thought the way it sped up your item-use animations was kind of interesting)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm a bit lost on where to go after getting the brand that lets you use the ethereal cloud platforms. I had recalled I'd seen one back in the low part of the valley between Hall of Red Cages and the Dome but it appears I'll need more to my jump to get to it. So at this point I don't know where to go next...

A light hint or nudge would not be unwelcome... :)

[edit] Nevermind, forgot about the ethereal cloud platforms on the bottom right of the Dome.

[edit] Just reached the Far Beach. How much more game do I have? (I did Mal's Castle already... I assume that was optional, no brand, just the Demon gear?)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 24, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just dunked the witch and the following three bosses on my first try. Pistols are awesome and destroy flying bosses.

Also when I found the keepers of fire and sky, I accidentally joined them when trying to level up and lost my rank maxed devotion with devora. So I said gently caress it and burned the sanctuary of the three and became a betrayer. Then I betrayed the betrayers :black101:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Has anything been found that needs undersight to be seen, outside of the dome?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

I think the biggest hump for me was the dodging/rolling mechanic. Like how in souls, you dodge to avoid a weapon, but in this one you can just dodge straight through it. I think I finally GOT IT when I accidentally rolled through QoS's "both swords on the ground, run at you" move and I was like "oh poo poo THAT is how it works."

The only other criticism I have is that I don't really like the secret doors. It feels too much like wandering around in Doom humping the wall by mashing spacebar until some random wall opens. I'd rather them open via hitting, but that's a pretty tiny whine.

Hate to break it to you but you've been playing Souls wrong. Dodging lets you pass through enemy weapons undamaged and is by far the most effective way to play.

Digirat posted:

Also when I found the keepers of fire and sky, I accidentally joined them when trying to level up and lost my rank maxed devotion with devora. So I said gently caress it and burned the sanctuary of the three and became a betrayer. Then I betrayed the betrayers :black101:

You could have just repledge to the three and regain your rank I think? It worked for me when I accidentally joined the betrayers. Of course burning their sanctuary will now require paying a Salt fine to not-Oswald to have your sin removed. Was there anything worthwhile about the spoilered covenant? It was the only thing on the progression guide that I skipped because gently caress the jumps required to get there.

Feenix posted:

[edit] Just reached the Far Beach. How much more game do I have? (I did Mal's Castle already... I assume that was optional, no brand, just the Demon gear?)

Probably about two thirds of the way through, assuming you will do every area. Quite a few of them are optional though, including the one you asked about.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Hate to break it to you but you've been playing Souls wrong. Dodging lets you pass through enemy weapons undamaged and is by far the most effective way to play.

I said "weapon" when I meant "enemy". It's weird to me that in this game you just roll right through the bad guy instead of just the weapon. I guess the best way to put my confusion is that the timing often seems strange or very picky. It's almost like the hitboxes on enemy attacks are very different than they are visually represented in the game.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

I said "weapon" when I meant "enemy". It's weird to me that in this game you just roll right through the bad guy instead of just the weapon. I guess the best way to put my confusion is that the timing often seems strange or very picky. It's almost like the hitboxes on enemy attacks are very different than they are visually represented in the game.

Ah, the deal with that is you have to be in the middle of your roll when you pass through them, cause that's when your iframes occur. For larger enemies that pretty much requires that you are standing literally right up against them. Takes some time to get a feel for it, but it's absolutely consistent so you eventually will.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Platypus Farm posted:

I said "weapon" when I meant "enemy". It's weird to me that in this game you just roll right through the bad guy instead of just the weapon.

Necessary consequence of being in 2D, pretend that you're rolling around them.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Platypus Farm posted:

I honestly kind of think you HAVE to be able to dodge through enemies in a 2-D game like this, because without a 3-D space to get around enemy attacks, there'd really be no way to get behind them and it's impossible to flank them. I did expect more enemies to punish that sort of thing than there were, even a number of bosses were helpless to well timed dodges through them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
gently caress you, Witch of the Lake. I don't care how cheesy my magic is, it's an acceptable solution to your own bullshit. :black101:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Is "corruption" a measure of the betrayer faction? I figured out that when I swapped factions I had accrued a sin, and paid it off, but I've never figured out what corruption is in the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I honestly kind of think you HAVE to be able to dodge through enemies in a 2-D game like this, because without a 3-D space to get around enemy attacks, there'd really be no way to get behind them and it's impossible to flank them. I did expect more enemies to punish that sort of thing than there were, even a number of bosses were helpless to well timed dodges through them.

Evidently you've never played castlevania

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding about the witch of the lake. That was the first time I felt the true learning a boss and triumphing souls-feel in this game.

With a greataxe build, you have to religiously stick under her. You can tank the homing poo poo once and survive, which makes double homing the only true killer she can do. Once I realized I could get 2x heavy attacks in whenever she was casting (if I was quick), I took her down quickly and flawlessly.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ultrachrist posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding about the witch of the lake. That was the first time I felt the true learning a boss and triumphing souls-feel in this game.

With a greataxe build, you have to religiously stick under her. You can tank the homing poo poo once and survive, which makes double homing the only true killer she can do. Once I realized I could get 2x heavy attacks in whenever she was casting (if I was quick), I took her down quickly and flawlessly.

Now try killing her when she flies off-screen and spams projectile attacks. :v:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok I beat The Bloodless Prince on my first go but it did leave me wondering how you avoid his belly splash attacks. Or maybe my roll is just too fat? It's certainly not that overburdened flop, but I guess it could be more spry... Is that all there is to that?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^^^ Believe it or not, you can block it with a shield.

Digirat posted:

Evidently you've never played castlevania

Yeah I sure remember flanking a lot of enemies in SotN

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Feenix posted:

Ok I beat The Bloodless Prince on my first go but it did leave me wondering how you avoid his belly splash attacks. Or maybe my roll is just too fat? It's certainly not that overburdened flop, but I guess it could be more spry... Is that all there is to that?

You can't avoid his hitbox, as far as I can tell, but you can iframe through the damage. It's a little odd.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I tried the Castle of Storms again today and suddenly those casters are much easier, with their ground lightning indeed showing up in just three places as described, instead of the entire floor full of lightning I was experiencing yesterday. I guess it was glitched and just needed a restart? :shrug:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Suaimhneas posted:

I tried the Castle of Storms again today and suddenly those casters are much easier, with their ground lightning indeed showing up in just three places as described, instead of the entire floor full of lightning I was experiencing yesterday. I guess it was glitched and just needed a restart? :shrug:

It could be you had been playing a long time and were tired. I've had dungeons kick the poo poo out of me for like a full hour, then when I quit and come back later, I steamroll them with ease. Sometimes your brain needs a break, and S&S is always introducing new things to you too, so it's easy to get overwhelmed.

Playing a second character has had me just powering through the game, beating the Dome in one go, took maybe three hours to reach the Far Beach, which had been a two-day endeavor before. Magic is great, but the magic-powered greatsword is better. Lightning >> fire too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

^^^^ Believe it or not, you can block it with a shield.

Yeah I sure remember flanking a lot of enemies in SotN

Castlevania is a 2D game where you don't have to dodge through enemies, and it's probably the most similar game to salt and sanctuary. Dodging through things is just how the developers chose to design S&S. I'm not sure I like it but it's either that or use a shield for everything.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Word of caution: The other night the game crashed right as I rested at a Sanctuary. When I rebooted it, my saved game had corrupted and was no longer available. Luckily for me, PS+ had uploaded the previous night's save so I only lost a half hour of progress instead of 12. Ya'll should be mindful and keep your saves backed up.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

Castlevania is a 2D game where you don't have to dodge through enemies, and it's probably the most similar game to salt and sanctuary. Dodging through things is just how the developers chose to design S&S. I'm not sure I like it but it's either that or use a shield for everything.

Yes, but S&S also does things like limits the amount of movements you can take with a stamina bar and your jump ability is affected by your weapons and armor loadout/weight, so there's factors in play that SoTN didn't have. Since there's limits to jumping, and a desire to emulate dark souls, a dodge move balances the movement and combat options; ergo, it is useful to be able to dodge through enemies, particularly since SoTN had a lot less cramped, low-ceiling environments where large monsters may block your path, something this game does have.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That reminds me, firing a pistol right after doing a heavy attack with a flint & steel will delete the pistol from your inventory. It will stay fireable but invisible in either weapon set you have it equipped, but it will no longer be in your inventory so there's no getting it back when you take it off.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Heart of Malice
Sewn in steel
Mete the master's
Wicked will

No prizes for guessing my Creed and ending. :haw:

Going to push for heavy armour now, if only to use my NG+ reward. It looks cool but I don't have any investment in armour skills; magic obliterates what my sword doesn't, so I'm not hurting on the offensive side of things.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Since people are now beating the game, I wanna speculate a bit about the last boss:

I chose to escape and not put on the helmet, but I assume that if you do so, you transform into basically the Nameless God yourself; the God then being a manifestation of a player's desire to keep playing, to have more levels and more content and stuff like that. The Nameless God has probably been killed plenty of times, but each time the one who succeeds in slaying him inevitably succumbs to the lure of the power it holds.

It felt appropriately meta but not overtly so, which I liked.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Since people are now beating the game, I wanna speculate a bit about the last boss:

I chose to escape and not put on the helmet, but I assume that if you do so, you transform into basically the Nameless God yourself; the God then being a manifestation of a player's desire to keep playing, to have more levels and more content and stuff like that. The Nameless God has probably been killed plenty of times, but each time the one who succeeds in slaying him inevitably succumbs to the lure of the power it holds.

It felt appropriately meta but not overtly so, which I liked.

Yeah, that's how I read it. You find the Scarecrow after killing the Nameless and rip its head off, taking the helm and putting it on yourself. Your body gets yanked, puppet-like, onto the scarecrow's "crucifix" before slumping down and turning into the boss you just fought. When you start NG+ your character is wading from the ocean in the full Nameless/Overlord armour set.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Just beat it. It started off as a great game, and slowly wound down to just a good one. They must have started rushing after Hall of Red Cages, because all of the areas after that are no where near as detailed or interesting. The last 3-4 areas are tiny and take about 15 minutes each. Hell one of them is just a boss. That combined with the fact that every boss, including the infamous Witch, went down in a few hits to a greathammer made things pretty boring towards the end. I think the last boss took 6 swings. This game probably would have benefited from an extra month's worth of balancing or actually putting effort into the final few areas, but I understand they probably felt pressured to rush it to release ahead of Dark Souls.

Anyone have theories about the games story? I'm not sure on the exact relationship between all the gods, the rulers of the different lands, and the architect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The old man at the end before the final boss pretty much lays out the entirety of the story. He was Jarot, the king of storms, prayed for stuff and the "nameless" god did the classic trope of granting him power and all of that while condemning him to a lifetime of purgatorial existence in the island. The nameless makes it clear he claims things he desires and lusts for power and just all around acts like a complete poo poo heel. People get ship wrecked on the island from the god's influence who then "consumes" them and makes them kneel or whatever. The NPC dialogue throughout makes it clear that the areas on the island are transposed from other real-world places and their memories get hosed with down to their original missions potentially being facades (like the princess and the thief's nobleman). Not sure why you bring up the architect, she just seems like a boss figure just like the untouched inquisitor or dried king or whatever, a powerful figure from the real world transposed to the island, apparently she is the sister of the witch of the lake.

• Locked thread