Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Nuhuh. At any rate, lexicanum describes the wolves losses as being "moderate", so anywhere from 25-50% casualties. I'm assuming they didnt have an easy time with the two other legions they forcibly hosed either. Which book is AL vs SW in btw?

Scars. I just finished it, was a fun enough read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It's also in the Wolf King novella.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

That's exactly it. DA are probably one of the coolest loyalist legions because of all that backstory.

Most legions have a mirror. DA are kinda like the loyalist Alpha Legion.

I always thought of them as loyalist Sons of Horus, mostly since the Lion was first runner up for who got the Warmaster job. However, both legions have a combined arms style that favors pragmatism over sticking to a set style of fighting, both loooove their vets and terminators, and they have a nice contrast where the Sons tended to have good relationships with all the other legions (even the ones everyone else hated) while the DA always wanted to be off doing their own thing.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

I've never read a book from Black Library except the Cain stuff. The bar for writing just doesn't seem high and the primarchs seem like super hero stories (which is cool if that's your thing)

*Has only read a couple BL books*
*Makes sweeping generalization of BL authors*

Standard Bulba, nothing to see here

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mango Polo posted:

It definitely feels a little like a relic of the initial heresy vision, what with everyone having their own traitors. I imagine the Black Library will eventually get around to re-explaining it.

Also the current 30k books, which explain that every legion was so huge that there inevitably were traitors from every loyalist legion, and loyalists from every traitor legion. In Unremembered Empire, there's even a loyalist Word Bearer who still worships the Emperor as a god and regards Lorgar and friends as heretics.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Hixson posted:

*Has only read a couple BL books*
*Makes sweeping generalization of BL authors*

Standard Bulba, nothing to see here

:thurman:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I don't see the problem with the last few panels.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I really should get back to reading the last 1500 posts of the painting thread that I've been neglecting to follow for the last year or so.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I don't know what the gently caress, but now I got the Pillar Men theme stuck in my head

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

So the 3 worst books then a lovely deathwatch series from no-name authors. Wow I just got owned

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Go on Hixson, keep telling us how most space marine books are great fiction

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Make Black Library great again.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

I don't know what the gently caress, but now I got the Pillar Men theme stuck in my head

It's like a yawn, it keeps spreading.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Brienne of Tarth

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
love u bae

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
The Dark Angel books for hh are almost as boring as Legion

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
are those real rules people allow bulbasaur to play with?????

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

This is some top shelf mad.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
If I wanted to read about White Scars, which HH novel should I read?

Also, does it matter if I read a single one out of the series or will things not make any sense.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

This is some top shelf mad.

Just like the temper tantrum you threw when you just barley won

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Yeast posted:

If I wanted to read about White Scars, which HH novel should I read?

Also, does it matter if I read a single one out of the series or will things not make any sense.

Scars. All you need to know for it is Horus' corruption is linked to the secret warrior lodges that are active in some Legions, that the Alpha Legion has two Primarchs that may be split on the whole rebellion thing and the Wolves have been badly mauled purging Prospero.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The two Death Guard novellas (Daemonology and Distant Echoes of Old Night) were good plane reads. Prince of Crows was also pretty entertaining.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

:chanpop:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Mostly annoyed that half of Nemesis is a space gumshoe story.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

adamantium|wang posted:

Scars. All you need to know for it is Horus' corruption is linked to the secret warrior lodges that are active in some Legions, that the Alpha Legion has two Primarchs that may be split on the whole rebellion thing and the Wolves have been badly mauled purging Prospero.

Awesome, thank you!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

BULBASAUR posted:

Wow this rather... corny.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Yeast posted:

Awesome, thank you!

No problem. Also it's worth knowing that literally everything is the fault of Kor Phaeron and Erebus of the Word Bearers and over the last 50 years they've used their Chaplains to spread the rot to other Legions. The First Heretic is an awesome book that sets things up for the whole Heresy.

e: despite being the 14th novel published :wtc:

ee:

quote:

...as of February 2015 consists of thirty-four novels, twenty-two novellas, thirty-six audio dramas, and a large number of short stories written by over nineteen different authors. There are many more books in the series already being prepared for publication in 2016 and beyond. 

Jesus no wonder this series is feeling so played out

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 24, 2016

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I agree they are played out. I feel another step towards terra needs to occur. I like the big events like the word bearers attack on the ultramarines but a lot of the novels deal with small groups and vague situations compounded by weaker authors.

Can I ask if anyone has particular knowledge of the new age of darkness red book? If I buy it will it have the rite of war specified to play an all dreadnought list?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
It doesnt.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

It doesnt.

Pants. That is a disappointment. I love the big books but they are expensive.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

JackMack posted:

Pants. That is a disappointment. I love the big books but they are expensive.

If you consider that expensive then boy, lemme me tell you a few things about this hobby...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's not like it'd be hard to just find the text of the RoW somewhere. It's like a few paragraphs/bullet points, tops.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Space_Marine_Legion_List_(30k)

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

If you consider that expensive then boy, lemme me tell you a few things about this hobby...

Funnily enough I am looking to avoid the outlay of getting into 30k...

I get that it is only a few points but I was hoping to have the rules for all the additional dreads that have co e out since the first HH book which is the only one I have presently. I will just pony up for the new book like as not. I am intending to build up a cult list as well which will require the book the contains them too. I love reading them so it is not a problem.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

So is the new age of darkness book not the go to single book for marines then? Or is there no such thing.

I was holding out for it under that impression.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

nopantsjack posted:

So is the new age of darkness book not the go to single book for marines then? Or is there no such thing.

I was holding out for it under that impression.

Marines have two red books: one for the generic, legion-wide content and a second for the legion-specific content.

The latter is what was recently updated, the former's update is expected some time this year (with some changes to assault and destroyer squads in particular, woo!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
But the latter is also missing new rites of war, so it's really not the go to