Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i like the DRAGON TOWN line more because it's loving hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

i like the DRAGON TOWN line more because it's loving hilarious

Yeah, I like that it's in all-caps like he's yelling it. Maybe all the text is all-caps in that version, I don't know, but it's funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So there's this game called Rival Turf, known mainly for having one of the worst box arts of all time:

It's a pretty mediocre final fight clone that had the advantage of actually being two-player, unlike the existing home versions of Final Fight. Now in Japan this game is called Rushing Beat!

Around this time Jaleco USA was run by what I can only assume were scam artists, because every single game they localized had localization that seemed to be completely made up by people who had no way to speak japanese. In addition to giving the game the worst possible box art and a lovely name, they also removed the intro cutscene entirely and turned the ending of the game, which has a ton of text in the Japanese version and features a love interest revealing the last boss is her dad, into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th4avpcFu8o&t=3345s

So ok, not a huge sin overall because who cares. But it gets a lot worse.

Here comes rushing Beat 2! Or as it was called in the US...

Well that box art is uh... an improvement? For whatever reason, Jaleco USA chose to completely hide that these two games were part of a series, going so far as changing the names of the returning playable characters from Jack Flack and Oozie Nelson to Hack and Slash. The game itself is a lot better than the first one, with 3 new player characters and a versus mode, but once again the translation is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz03Px1nVb8&t=4007s

Again, this really reads like someone making poo poo up. But wait, here's where it gets really odd. For whatever reason, the second stage of this game was changed from a straight line to a maze area in the US version, for no discernable reason other than possibly to inject variety into the game. Due to not being a very good maze, it really just makes the stage 3 times as long for any playthrough.

But things don't get insane until RUSHING BEAT 3, aka...

So, this one was REALLY ambitious in Japan. In addition to having up to 6 playable characters and branching paths, this game also had a surprisingly expansive story mode, as each level would end with a cutscene showing the last boss plotting and reacting to whatever you'd done in the last stage. There were also multiple dialogue sequences with various bosses and NPCs and some returning characters from previous games.

Ok so, all those cutscenes I mentioned? Completely gone in the US version. They do not show up at all. And the dialogue? Cut down to about 10% of what it originally was, most of it gibberish or dumb lines. "Jack" returns as a playable character, but is now named Norton. And instead of the dialogue explaining that he'd been guerilla fighting the villains the whole game, he now joins the party by saying "Correctamundo, Johnny!" All references to the previous games are completely removed as well, including when you fight a boss who was previously a playable character.

But if removing most of the story in maybe the only story-driven beat-em-up of all time wasn't bad enough, Jaleco USA continued to gently caress up. The Japanese version only has one track and one boss track, and while they're catchy, it can get old. So in their infinite wisdom, the localizers replaced all the music with ambient noise, which as you can see is extremely pulse-pounding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vas8iJv5NZo&t=1102s

But wait, there's more! For whatever reason, in the US version, the character portraits are replaced with weird digitized photos of people cosplaying as the characters, presumably employees:

For equally mysterious reasons, every character's screen-clearing super move, which was previously fairly well animated mode 7 moves, were completely retooled to look like weird x-men powers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3mhisi9G1c

Neither of those is really a step down, but it's still pretty strange and unnecessary. As you can see from the video, one character who was very clearly an Undertaker ripoff was turned into a beige hobo in the US version, possibly due to copyright concerns.

Well, when making all those changes to the game, it seems Jaleco USA went above and beyond the call of bad localization and completely hosed up, corrupting the code of an enemy type (a robotic spider) to the point that it had to be removed from the game entirely. In a game that already had way too few enemy types, this was pretty dire.

Oh, and did they at least do a good job translating the endings, one of the few pieces of text left in the game?

Ok.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 24, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

So there's this game called Rival Turf, known mainly for having one of the worst box arts of all time:

There is no way that's one of the worst box arts of all time. it's at least remotely on topic.

(I saw an actual copy of this in a store sometime in the mid 2000s)

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, and did they at least do a good job translating the endings, one of the few pieces of text left in the game?

Ok.

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy fans are insufferable. It's a good book. It's funny. But they can't ever shut the gently caress up and stop referencing how good it is. We get it, you read a funny book and it's soooo clever that you referenced it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i bought edf2 and now i am playing it

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
My computer overheats when I play superhot. But I gotta say, it's a fun game. I can get through 1-2 levels at a time before my computer shuts off.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ravane posted:

My computer overheats when I play superhot. But I gotta say, it's a fun game. I can get through 1-2 levels at a time before my computer shuts off.

sounds like your computer gets

superhot

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
How can people not like I AM THE KING OF DRAGON TOWN?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

One of my friends growing up had The Peace Keepers and we had a blast playing that poo poo. It's weird knowing it could have been a million times better (or maybe not because when playing a beat-em-up with a pal I don't want the action nerfed by cutscenes and dialogue).

I do remember the entire soundtrack being ambient noises. That was notable to me even as a dumbass kid. I actually thought it was kinda neat though.

I liked the girl character because she could double jump.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ambient noise has its place, a scrolling beat em up is not it. They need music like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZFloT80zWc

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I liked Styx but I did have to quicksave a LOT

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

One of my friends growing up had The Peace Keepers and we had a blast playing that poo poo. It's weird knowing it could have been a million times better (or maybe not because when playing a beat-em-up with a pal I don't want the action nerfed by cutscenes and dialogue).

I do remember the entire soundtrack being ambient noises. That was notable to me even as a dumbass kid. I actually thought it was kinda neat though.

I liked the girl character because she could double jump.

Peace Keepers (and Brawl Brothers) is still a quite fun beat-em-up despite the hatchet job. And I'm fairly sure you could mash through the cutscenes and dialogue in the JP version, so no worries there.

I am kind of a fanboy of the Rushing Beat series, as far as one can be a fanboy of a flawed series of explicit Final Fight ripoffs, so Jaleco USA's fuckery is really annoying to me.

Here's another example of their box art genius:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

Ambient noise has its place, a scrolling beat em up is not it. They need music like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZFloT80zWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oplzMrgPA4I

Edit:

Lurdiak posted:

Here's another example of their box art genius:

holy hell that is awful

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 24, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That girl is thinkin' about fuckin'

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nice. If people in this thread are still playing that after I'm done with ds3 and then hitman, I might pick it up for the coop. It looks pretty fun.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Man, I tried playing undertale again, but the fight mechanics are so goddamn lovely, it pisses me off. I'd much rather prefer a traditional jrpg fight to this avoidance bullshit. loving gamemaker piece of poo poo game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*slips head in to noose whilst nodding*

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ravane posted:

Man, I tried playing undertale again, but the fight mechanics are so goddamn lovely, it pisses me off. I'd much rather prefer a traditional jrpg fight to this avoidance bullshit. loving gamemaker piece of poo poo game.

a) sincere lol if this works
b) have you considered maybe it's your computer

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ravane posted:

What have you doooooooooonnnnnnnnnneeeee!:byodood:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
blundertale, amirite

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't get it?

But I like the phrase "I'd rather prefer..."

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

codenameFANGIO posted:

a) sincere lol if this works
b) have you considered maybe it's your computer

I'd be really sad if my computer couldn't run undertale given its outdated pixel graphics. It's the horrible game design that renders me unable to play.

I already read the plot and watched the endings, so I'm fine on the plot part, I'm just confused why anyone would like a game this niche. Trying to beat the loving giant guard dog at the beginning is near impossible because I can't dodge the loving barks in time. And I know it only gets harder from there, but what a lovely game honestly. Nice plot and everything, but I can't actually progress with such a crappy combat system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD-gh_O3eaA

This game on the other hand looks incredible and probably has much better game mechanics than "bullshit hell".

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
uh huh.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
bullshit hell

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
You know, you can fight the things in undertale if you want to. The fight button is right there.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
bullshit hell is extremely good and i'm really surprised i've never heard someone call something shooter-ish that until now

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Ravane posted:

I already read the plot and watched the endings,

Ohhh, I get it now. You hosed up

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Electric Lady posted:

You know, you can fight the things in undertale if you want to. The fight button is right there.

I'm trying to grant them mercy. And I can't because I can't survive the bullet hell mechanics.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Ravane posted:

I'm trying to grant them mercy. And I can't because I can't survive the bullet hell mechanics.

git gud

if the dog is lying on the bottom of the box just don't move, the dog won't bark

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I guess with the Wii U thread locked, we'll just have to wait for the NeXt thread to open.

*whistles nonchalantly*

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Electric Lady posted:

Ohhh, I get it now. You hosed up

watching the endings doesn't make the lovely mechanics any easier.

Dr Cheeto posted:

git gud

if the dog is lying on the bottom of the box just don't move, the dog won't bark

Thanks for this. I didn't realize.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ravane posted:

Being merciful sounds harder than being violent.

*nodding to self* ... But I'll bet it's more rewarding!

:stare: whoa wait holy poo poo

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Ravane posted:

watching the endings doesn't make the lovely mechanics any easier.

I bought RE5 on the sale, but I also got a 7-day trial for Black Desert Online, so I will play RE5 after that.
Probably co-op, as Kojima God intended

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
The bulletheck parts of Undertale were fun and easy and my only background in bulletheck is from The Binding of Isaac.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of bullet hell, when are they putting Ikaruga on ps4?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm actually playing through Undertale right now! Just beat the boss being referenced.

I can understand not liking bullet hell stuff (although the "bark, bark" attack is about the tamest bullet-hell I can think of) but you get so much money you can really just heal your way through fights it seems. Just buy a bunch of pie or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I didn't like Undertale combat either. It's neat but maybe a little too hard to be fun, at least for my dumb reflexes

• Locked thread