Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Amps are only dangerous for wires. You must make sure every wire connected to a battery buffer with multiple batteries can handle the amps it's putting out. The 9x battery buffer is a trap, notably. 8x wires can't handle a fully stocked 9x buffer.

If wires get too many amps, they catch fire. That fire will destroy the wires, and potentially light your machines on fire, which will blow up if ignited for too long. Machines blowing up supercharge any wires connecting to them, which then blows up anything connected to the wires... Gregtech LOVES blowing up your entire machine bank because of a single mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ha, so that's what I was missing and would have potentially blown everything up if I added more turbines.

LOST ANOTHER CLIENT SYSTEM TO GREGTECH. :v:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That's why I turned off explosions.
It's good to know all that stuff about amps and volts. I really thought machines could only handle so much, but if wires are the issue then I could safely have 4x wire fed by a 2x2 battery buffer and the machines can take it? I guess that answers my question as to how machines are supposed to run in parallel with only so much juice being supplied. The large battery buffers are still useful, then -- they can be used as simple energy storage, then fed directly into a more manageable 2x2, for instance.

Speaking of power, what's the goal for midgame power generation? I'm still just using a railcraft boiler (need to expand it soon anyway because it can't keep up with my MV turbine for any decent period of time). There must be better methods than just running off steam though, right? Or maybe I just need bigger steam boilers? Again I've never really dipped into Gregtech so I don't know.

Also here's a fun tip: Because of the methods that go into producing it, paper has metallum essence. The better your machines get the easier it is to pulp and process wood into paper, or even chemical bath sugarcane directly into sheets. That metallum can then easily be fed into an alchemical setup to duplicate basically any base metal, from nickel, lead, and bismuth to battery alloy, bronze, and aluminum.

E: The Magic Energy Generator looks pretty good but I'm not seeing any recipes. I'm scanning the scripts now, but anyone know if it taken out entirely from this pack or if the recipe is just buried in Thaumcraft stuff?

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 24, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

man now i am glad i burned out on the new horizons pack because goddamn

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Actually, this is what got my interest at all: figuring out new ways to do things and how to utilize tools I'm not familiar with. And speaking of, I found something.
Apparently the diesel generator can run on void metal. I assume this was meant to be fuel for the magic generator but who even knows with this pack. The magic energy converter itself is a more lategame thing, since it needs a beacon and must be unlocked with research.
I guess the good news is you can use salis mundus to replicate nether stars with enough energy. You don't need to just keep killing withers, which is good, because it looks like nether stars get a lot of use in this.

Void metal ingots compress to blocks and macerate down to 9 dust. 1 dust produces 1.5 million EU -- enough for 7 aluminum ingots and then some left over. It's a single block so setup is condensed, and all you need is Metallum to turn void seeds into ingots. Which is even better, because you can just grow void seeds now. An MV version of this can produce over 4,000 EU a second. I guess from now on my base is running on magic.

E: Jesus, once you get a magic generator, power becomes an afterhought. Chaos and Fire shards do .7 million and you get 2 per ore, to start. Nether stars give 10 million and can be duplicated for a mere dozen salis mundus. The only real downside of magic generation is its speed, since it only goes up to Extreme Voltage and now there's all these weird tiers after that.

E2: Wow. You can use the Extra Utilities watering can on all the Thaumic Bases plants. The gold, redstone, even vis. I wish I'd thought of that sooner.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 24, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

E2: Wow. You can use the Extra Utilities watering can on all the Thaumic Bases plants. The gold, redstone, even vis. I wish I'd thought of that sooner.

This is probably a "bug" and will be nerfed next patch.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

McFrugal posted:

Amps are only dangerous for wires. You must make sure every wire connected to a battery buffer with multiple batteries can handle the amps it's putting out. The 9x battery buffer is a trap, notably. 8x wires can't handle a fully stocked 9x buffer.

If wires get too many amps, they catch fire. That fire will destroy the wires, and potentially light your machines on fire, which will blow up if ignited for too long. Machines blowing up supercharge any wires connecting to them, which then blows up anything connected to the wires... Gregtech LOVES blowing up your entire machine bank because of a single mistake.

My first outing with gregtech I just figured plate rolling machines exploded sometimes cuz I hadn't put together the rain thing and my GT machinebank was partially covered.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Y'all need to tell me I'm doing the Lord's work here or something. The BFSR in-game picture guide for setting up a TNT generation rig clocked in at 38 pages. Sure, those are not regular 8x11 pages, but that's a lot of poo poo. It was over 50 images showing machine setup, conduit setup, blablabla I want to die.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Y'all need to tell me I'm doing the Lord's work here or something. The BFSR in-game picture guide for setting up a TNT generation rig clocked in at 38 pages. Sure, those are not regular 8x11 pages, but that's a lot of poo poo. It was over 50 images showing machine setup, conduit setup, blablabla I want to die.

Take a break and come join me on TPPI2 and just chill out doing thaum or something
(I have mega endgame base in 4 locations)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You're doing the Lord's work. More power generation should be run on explosions.

Vib Rib posted:

E: Jesus, once you get a magic generator, power becomes an afterhought. Chaos and Fire shards do .7 million and you get 2 per ore, to start. Nether stars give 10 million and can be duplicated for a mere dozen salis mundus. The only real downside of magic generation is its speed, since it only goes up to Extreme Voltage and now there's all these weird tiers after that.

By Chaos and Fire do you mean Perditio and Ignis? The base shards? I feel like .7 per shard with a setup that simple is better than .833 per shard minus however much it costs to turn the 12 salis into a nether star, and whatever resources you have to spend to make the balanced shards.

Also I totally forgot about the watering can, gonna make one as soon as I get crops worth using it on. I wonder if you can get a Reinforced one without sacrificing health, and if so, is there even a machine you can use it in?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo Fastcraft is some kind of magical mod. I started playing a HQM pack earlier and was at like .5 FPS and couldn't figure out why I had such terrible performance no matter what settings I changed. Then I realised it didn't have Fastcraft, which I haven't played without for years. Stuck it into the mod folder and then my FPS is back to being perfect. How the hell is the change it brings so dramatic?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Holy poo poo Fastcraft is some kind of magical mod. I started playing a HQM pack earlier and was at like .5 FPS and couldn't figure out why I had such terrible performance no matter what settings I changed. Then I realised it didn't have Fastcraft, which I haven't played without for years. Stuck it into the mod folder and then my FPS is back to being perfect. How the hell is the change it brings so dramatic?

Is it possible you were right at the edge of how much memory you gave java?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dylan16807 posted:

Is it possible you were right at the edge of how much memory you gave java?

I tried upping the memory I gave it, and I wasn't close to using available RAM.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You are a cool dude doing cool things.

Though at the same time, if you're burning out I think it's okay to leave some of the more esoteric things as an exercise for the player. A lot of the fun of modded Minecraft is figuring out how to make things work together. The main thing is just knowing what's possible (like, say, with a screen shot or two of a finished setup and a little text blurb that makes it sound cool).

You could make some of this stuff part of an "extra credit" section. And you don't even need to have any rewards for doing it. If they've reached that point and something like "Power your base with explosions! <insert screenshot>" doesn't get them excited enough to figure it out, modded MC might not be for them.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Is there a good list of useful things to scan in TC5? And also an explanation on how warp works / how to get rid of it? I've been avoiding most of the Forbidden Researches and I don't know if I'm gating myself out of useful stuff.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Goon Danton posted:

Is there a good list of useful things to scan in TC5? And also an explanation on how warp works / how to get rid of it? I've been avoiding most of the Forbidden Researches and I don't know if I'm gating myself out of useful stuff.

You only need to scan one item per aspect (remember the Thaumometer will show little question marks floating around scannable blocks and items). Just look around.

You also need to scan a bow, an arrow, a bone (or skeleton), a dispenser, a snow/iron golem, a taint shard, and any other kind of shard. That will unlock most of the hidden researches that I can think of offhand. Edit: Also a zombie brain.

Warp isn't that big of a deal. It comes in three kinds - temporary, sticky, and permanent. They're totaled up for most purposes. How high your Warp is determines what kind of Warp events you get. Most of them are harmless or ignorance (little headache events, a creeper hiss from no where, Flux flu, etc). Once you get up quite a ways you can have more dangerous events, such as Eldritch Guardian attacks, but you have to have a lot for that.

In order to access the Eldritch tab of research (which includes void metal, the primal staff rod, and basically everything that uses the primordial pearl) you have to have a Warp level high enough and have an event that unlocks the tab(or read a Crimson Rites book.) in order to get access to the second stage of the tab you need even higher Warp and another event. Bear in mind that this is also required for the Thaumcraft Outer Lands dungeon and is basically the endgame stuff for TC.

Edit: forgot zombie brains.

Serifina fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 24, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

By Chaos and Fire do you mean Perditio and Ignis? The base shards? I feel like .7 per shard with a setup that simple is better than .833 per shard minus however much it costs to turn the 12 salis into a nether star, and whatever resources you have to spend to make the balanced shards.
Yes, I do mean Perditio and Ignis shards. A big return for little power.
However, I made a typo in that post. I meant to say that a Nether Star gives 100 million, not 10.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Yes, I do mean Perditio and Ignis shards. A big return for little power.
However, I made a typo in that post. I meant to say that a Nether Star gives 100 million, not 10.

Oh. Well then. 8.33 million per shard is proooobably worth the extra effort.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Immersive Engineering is a pretty good mod. I've never used it before now. FTB Infinity Expert mode introduced me to it, of all things.

It has a decent power system that is interchangeable with RF or EU, its wiring system is solid, it's aesthetically solid, and it has lots of multiblock machines. The crusher and excavator are both pretty sweet, and water wheels are somewhat unique in the minecraft modding scene. It seems really well done so far. And that's with the infinity expert mode nerfs to recipes and stuff.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 25, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok finally given up and have to ask.

AE2 question

I have a 7x1 ME controller (was 3x1 but i thought more might fix the problem) that has power.

I am running smart cable from 1 face that currently only has a terminal and my drive attached. This works.

I then have dense cable from the opposite end of the me controller (which is heading up to automate my inscribers.

This is my problem. The dense cable is not working and my inscribers are getting no RF

Im using cable anchors, so there are no cables touching. But even if i only hook up 1 inscriber by removing the cables from the others i still dont get that one on either.

This shows left side working right not. additional energy acceptor just put on to see if power was a problem

This shows that he cable is clean, nothing is attached to it here

This is upstairs. It branches into smart cable. (some removed, all cable anchored) Ive tried direct dense cable to the inscriber, ive tried smart cable.

I really have no idea what im missing.

(edited to make images actually show up)

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 25, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Ok finally given up and have to ask.

AE2 question

I have a 7x1 ME controller (was 3x1 but i thought more might fix the problem) that has power.

I am running smart cable from 1 face that currently only has a terminal and my drive attached. This works.

I then have dense cable from the opposite end of the me controller (which is heading up to automate my inscribers.

This is my problem. The dense cable is not working and my inscribers are getting no RF

Im using cable anchors, so there are no cables touching. But even if i only hook up 1 inscriber by removing the cables from the others i still dont get that one on either.

use a piece of naked quartz cable (it's white) to bridge between the smart cable and the inscriber, see if that helps

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
Jesus Christ, this game this such a mess with all of these versions and every mod/resourcepack being updated randomly to different versions then stopping. What are some good, leaning towards medieval resource packs that are updated to at least 1.8?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are you sure they are getting no power or are you just looking for channel lines on the dense cable? Inscribers use no channels by themselves, and don't really have any indication that they have power (as far as I remember) except whether they process things or not.

Reb posted:

Jesus Christ, this game this such a mess with all of these versions and every mod/resourcepack being updated randomly to different versions then stopping. What are some good, leaning towards medieval resource packs that are updated to at least 1.8?

https://www.dokucraft.co.uk/

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Reb posted:

oVo's Rustic Redemption is my favorite vanilla pack: here I usually remove all the custom ui/inventory pictures but that's mostly because I like the default ones and don't want to relearn them.

For modded minecraft I use Faithful > Unity > Default (so both faithful and unity packs but with faithful taking priority). They both have support for lots of mods.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Are you sure they are getting no power or are you just looking for channel lines on the dense cable? Inscribers use no channels by themselves, and don't really have any indication that they have power (as far as I remember) except whether they process things or not.

I was just coming to post this. gently caress. Ive been dicking about with these for a good hour swapping poo poo. Until i get the interfaces on there wont be any channels used.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
WELP turns out Poison Skeletons from specialmobs can inflict Poison II, which is basically unavoidable death. There's a reason no mobs inflict it in vanilla! So that's on my list of mobs to disable.

Meskhenet posted:

I was just coming to post this. gently caress. Ive been dicking about with these for a good hour swapping poo poo. Until i get the interfaces on there wont be any channels used.

Yeah you just put power cables on inscribers, not ME cable.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

WELP turns out Poison Skeletons from specialmobs can inflict Poison II, which is basically unavoidable death. There's a reason no mobs inflict it in vanilla! So that's on my list of mobs to disable.
I thought poison can't kill you.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Not directly, but it lasts a long time and It can break armor.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SugarAddict posted:

Not directly, but it lasts a long time and It can break armor.
Ha ha ha what. Poison damages armor? That's the dumbest thing.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
how the gently caress are you supposed to get oil out of a gregtech pump

all the bullshit leading up to this i've been fine with, but i spent like two stacks of steel on this pump/distillery/diesel generator setup and it's not outputting to the pipes i've attached :argh:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

It brings you down to 1 hp very quickly, at which point you're going to die to a single attack. Oh hey there happens to be a skeleton right there quite willing to donate that attack.

Also because of Hunger Overhaul, being at 1 hp is a death sentence even if no skeletons are around. You're heavily slowed so you can't run away, and you have mining fatigue and weakness so you can't really fight back either. Luckily the only other source of long-lasting poison is from witches, and in that case I blitz the witch down (even these always-infernal ones don't have much hp) and run away before my hp gets too low. Longsword dashing helps with that, so does a glider.

I decided to just turn off that part of Hunger Overhaul though, because I don't really want minecraft combat to be *even less fun*. Getting extreme debuffs when your hp is low basically just means you have less overall hp.

Edminster posted:

how the gently caress are you supposed to get oil out of a gregtech pump

all the bullshit leading up to this i've been fine with, but i spent like two stacks of steel on this pump/distillery/diesel generator setup and it's not outputting to the pipes i've attached :argh:

I'm guessing you need to put a pump cover on the pipe attached to the pump. To pump oil out of the pump. Because gregtech.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

McFrugal posted:

I'm guessing you need to put a pump cover on the pipe attached to the pump. To pump oil out of the pump. Because gregtech.

you guessed correctly! so loving extra

on the bright side the chain is baaaaaaarely fuel-positive so once the diesel engine fills up I can start storing it in a tank.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Meskhenet posted:

I really have no idea what im missing.

Dense cables are really just for carrying a lot of channels, a lot of things will not connect to them properly (you need to step them down to a smaller cable, first). If you connect a bus to that line and it works then it's the inscribers, if not it's a connection issue of some sort.

Black Pants posted:

They do/used to show power in WAILA, but unless it's been changed the inscriber will not store any power when connected to an ME network (it just uses it on demand), so it would show as empty even if it was working. Also, IIRC, you used to have to insert stuff from a specific direction if you wanted to automate inscribers, so I'm not sure if they're pissy about what direction they get power from?

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 26, 2016

khy
Aug 15, 2005

There used to be, a while ago, a good installation guide to get HD textures + custom shaders and poo poo installed. I liked it, but I can't find it anymore. I do remember it had fog for rainstorms, the ground would become slick, trees would sway (And sway harder during a storm), overhauled lighting, etc.

Is there a good guide for that currently available? The OP is somewhat lacking in graphics overhaul stuff.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Ha ha ha what. Poison damages armor? That's the dumbest thing.

Sorry I should elaborate on this more, some mod armors react to poison and try to block the poison damage and take damage itself.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Wallet posted:

Dense cables are really just for carrying a lot of channels, a lot of things will not connect to them properly (you need to step them down to a smaller cable, first). If you connect a bus to that line and it works then it's the inscribers, if not it's a connection issue of some sort.

Just turned out i was expecting to see power held. Everything was set up fine.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

khy posted:

There used to be, a while ago, a good installation guide to get HD textures + custom shaders and poo poo installed. I liked it, but I can't find it anymore. I do remember it had fog for rainstorms, the ground would become slick, trees would sway (And sway harder during a storm), overhauled lighting, etc.

Is there a good guide for that currently available? The OP is somewhat lacking in graphics overhaul stuff.

What version are you running? Because in 1.8.9 and beyond, Optifine has most of the MCPatcher features (it's much closer than it was a year or so ago) as well as shader support built in.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fortis posted:

What version are you running? Because in 1.8.9 and beyond, Optifine has most of the MCPatcher features (it's much closer than it was a year or so ago) as well as shader support built in.

Well I just barely re-downloaded the game and I downloaded what I assume is the latest version.

I just remember having to go through a few somewhat convoluted steps to get the shaders going - including loading forge, loading the shader pack, then loading Sonic Ether's shaders. Is there an easier way?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Khorne posted:

Immersive Engineering is a pretty good mod. I've never used it before now. FTB Infinity Expert mode introduced me to it, of all things.
So what's the deal with FTB Infinity Expert Mode anyway? I assume it doesn't have HQM so is it just raw progression towards better things, or how's it structured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

khy posted:

Well I just barely re-downloaded the game and I downloaded what I assume is the latest version.

I just remember having to go through a few somewhat convoluted steps to get the shaders going - including loading forge, loading the shader pack, then loading Sonic Ether's shaders. Is there an easier way?

http://optifine.net/downloads

Download the latest pre-release (topmost link, they're hidden by default), run the JAR file, then play using the OptiFine profile it creates.
The jar would also work with Forge but if all you want is CTM and Shaders, this is the easiest way to go.