Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
The yanks had it 20 years ago, Aussies 10, we have it here now. That about fits the trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Varkk posted:

It takes a real effort to seize the moral low ground in an argument with a minister from the current government but this guy certainly achieved that.

John Lehmann has been a class act for a while now. He used to run a group called the Government Accountability League and advocated, if not coined "Dob-a-wog week" encouraging people to turn in non-white overstayers

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

He's also a former National spin-doctor apparently per NRT.

http://norightturn.blogspot.co.nz/2016/03/wicked-campers-and-freedom-of-speech.html

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Dunne dunne DUUUUUUUNNNNNE

Let's vote again in 2020 says Peter Dunne - on a Republic
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11610659

Seems to stem from some wittering on his blog: http://honpfd.blogspot.co.nz/

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I feel like we have to wait until Charles becomes King before we vote to become a republic. Lizzy is too popular and lots of kiwis feel a connection to her, but Charles is a weird old English dude and I wouldn't be surprised for that to be the trigger for us to become a republic.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Lancelot posted:

I feel like we have to wait until Charles becomes King before we vote to become a republic. Lizzy is too popular and lots of kiwis feel a connection to her, but Charles is a weird old English dude and I wouldn't be surprised for that to be the trigger for us to become a republic.

Plot Twist: Lizzy outlives him and he never becomes king, William becomes the next monarch and people tend to like him.

I'd bet :20bux: on that happening, Charles looks like poo poo these days, the Queen looks pretty healthy still.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Is there any advantage to becoming a republic?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
None. Functionally nothing changes internally, but now we need a new flag because we aren't part of the commonwealth anymore so we can waste another 30-100 million. Basically an excuse to stir up the flag BS again in a couple of years instead of pulling it off for another 50 years.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Well for one the governer general would no longer exist and therefore no longer have the power to literally tell the entire government to gently caress off they're fired, as the Australian one did in the 70s. We would be actually self-governing instead of nominally self-governing, as currently whether or not the governer-general can outright veto any laws we pass is yet to be tested in constitutional court.

The governer-general actually has a good amount of power but does not exercise any of it purely on the understanding that if they did and it was unpopular then it would basically be the first step to us declaring ourselves a republic anyway.

Also it would make room for John Key to be on our money.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghostlight posted:

Also it would make room for John Key to be on our money.

:barf:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ghostlight posted:

We would be actually self-governing instead of nominally self-governing

I'd argue we are actually self-governing and that the Queen and by extension the Governor-General only nominally have any power. Technically yeah the Gov-Gen could refuse to give royal assent to legislation passed by our democratically elected government but it's hard to imagine such a thing actually happening unless the government abused Parliamentary supremacy to do something incredibly undemocratic like give themselves an indefinite term. The Gov-Gen is really only a traditional/ceremonial position and maaaaybe could function as a check on the power of Parliament since our courts can't overturn legislation as unconstitutional like in the States. But as you say any interference would likely lead to the abolition of the position anyway.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 23, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In what sense would you argue that? The governor-general's powers are not nominal in any sense. They factually and concretely exist within our constitution, whether they have been exercised recently or not.

Our government literally convenes and dissolves at the say-so of the representative of a foreign power. Just because they've historically always said yes whenever we've asked doesn't mean we're self-governing.

It's not a technicality just because abuse of it would lead to democratic crisis. It's the legal framework of our loving nationhood.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Basically it is an "in case of emergency break government" kind of a thing and is likely to be one shot and gone.
Most who get the position probably want to coast it perform some ceremonial duties then retire.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The treaty of waitangi also becomes invalid because the crown no longer has authority in NZ.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
The Governor General may have more than nominal power but the constitutional convention that the GG ever using those powers independently or not accepting the advice of Ministers would be cause for New Zealand becoming a Republic is much more than nominal.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ghostlight posted:

In what sense would you argue that?

In the sense that day to day we literally self govern and the Gov Gen does what Parliament says.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Regarding the issue of requiring royal assent to pass laws I am also pretty confident in the event of the Governor General refusing to give assent that New Zealand would promptly and pragmatically recognize a new Governor General kind of like a historical antipope to get the job done.

Later on legislation and co-operation from the new compliant 'legit' Governor General would remedy any technical legal problems

fong posted:

The treaty of waitangi also becomes invalid because the crown no longer has authority in NZ.

Anywhere that the Treaty is incorporated in current legislation would not be at issue - I know there are quite a few Masters and PhDs out there about how it could affect treaty settlement negotiations

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 23, 2016

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I imagine there's a whole bunch of legislation that mentions "The Crown" so any move to be a republic would just involve an act that says "Any instance of "The Crown" gets replaced with "The New Zealand Government"" and that'll be the end of it.

In saying that, there's a Maori guy on my facebook friends list who's a die hard monarchist, anti-republican, and National party supporter, who cites the Treaty being an agreement with the crown as one of the main reasons he's a monarchist. Weird guy.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Pretty sure back when we changed from being a dominion to a country the obligations for the treaty were shifted from the English monarchy to the NZ Govt.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Cast your guesses now for the referendum result.

I'm going with no change.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Anticheese posted:

Cast your guesses now for the referendum result.

I'm going with no change.

I'm going with "No change, and John never wanted to change, but New Zealand wanted to have the discussion and he is the one who facilitated that"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

My avatar stays, as do those of 5 random people.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty stoked my voting papers only arrived yesterday. Democracy in action!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

In the sense that day to day we literally self govern and the Gov Gen does what Parliament says.
Except in the instances where the GG doesn't do what Parliament says and overrides our self governance.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

http://www.electionresults.govt.nz/2016_flag_referendum2/

So we're keeping the old flag.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Will be interesting to compare how electorates voted with how high their National party vote was in the last election.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Wow

Who could

Have guessed

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
The "For change" vote was bigger than I thought it would be (and the polls were suggesting)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Red_Museum posted:

The "For change" vote was bigger than I thought it would be (and the polls were suggesting)

The retards of this country voted John "sexual assault" Key into power more than once.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Thank goodness. The Lockwood design was so tacky. I was expecting there to be less votes for it, though.

At a glance through the info, the electorate with the biggest support for the Lockwood design was Tamaki, at 51.9%, and the lowest support for it was from Te Tai Tokerau at 21.1%.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Suck it, scrub losers

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Red_Museum posted:

Ton of Nat voters jumped on board because John said so, but non-Nat pro-change people stayed pro-change

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
He liked his own status. National party social media incompetence makes me unreasonably angry.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

My failed vanity project was in fact a clever ploy to get kiwis to love the old flag

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Can we hang this traitor yet?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Infotainment! posted:

He liked his own status. National party social media incompetence makes me unreasonably angry.

Apparently his 'speech' about the flag result was extended periods of "Is the mic live yet?" "No it isn't live" the mic was live.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Van Dine posted:

At a glance through the info, the electorate with the biggest support for the Lockwood design was Tamaki, at 51.9%, and the lowest support for it was from Te Tai Tokerau at 21.1%.
JK popularity referendum?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

cptn_dr posted:

I'm going with "No change, and John never wanted to change, but New Zealand wanted to have the discussion and he is the one who facilitated that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emminou
May 25, 2006

Infotainment! posted:

I want to believe he used one of the other newfangled reactions. The crying one, hopefully.

• Locked thread