Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Autocorrect Florida = Fiorina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
IMO, Trump should suggest putting together some sort of "citizen volunteer group" to go "patrol" Mormon neighborhoods.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Kasich's strategy seems to be failing:

quote:

When South Dakota's Republican activists convened in Pierre to pick their delegates to the Republican national convention, they got an unexpected visitor.

Merle Madrid, senior aide to Ohio Gov. John Kasich, had flown in from Columbus to make an appeal: If the convention fails to elect front-runner Donald Trump on the first ballot, consider Kasich on the second — even if the state’s Republican voters sent them there to back Trump or Ted Cruz.

Madrid was polite and earnest , but according to interviews with 17 of the state’s 29 delegates, he came up empty.

"Kasich will not get my vote no matter what he does. That ain’t gonna happen," said delegate Allen Unruh, a Sioux Falls chiropractor and tea party activist.

Madrid’s visit to South Dakota on Saturday marked one of the earliest signs that the shadow campaign for the Republican nomination has begun. Kasich and Cruz are scrambling to secure commitments from bound delegates to break off on a second-ballot and vote against Trump. In many cases, that means asking delegates to buck Republican primary voters in the name of settling on a nominee.

The fight will heat up in April, when a slew of states — including Arizona, Colorado and North Dakota — begin selecting their own slate of delegates, using methods ranging from statewide and Congressional district conventions to meetings of state party leaders to county-level votes or caucuses.

But if Madrid’s results are any indication, it’s not Kasich that threatens to steal Trump’s delegates in Cleveland — it’s Cruz.

"I’m not a Kasich fan. I would vote for him over a Democrat, however I think there’s not a lot of difference between him and a Democrat," said Florence Thompson, a delegate from Caputa, S.D. who described herself as a "raving conservative."

Added Dana Randall, South Dakota's national Republican committeeman and another delegate, "I’m not anti John Kasich, but I don’t think [Madrid] swung one vote either way."

South Dakota's delegation is top-heavy with supporters of Cruz, the Texas senator whose ideological purity has resonated in this deeply conservative Midwestern state. Most delegates expect South Dakota to devolve into a slugfest between Cruz and Trump, and Cruz's ultra-conservative identity gives him an early edge.

“As we head toward Cleveland, I think it’s clear that this is going to be a convention unlike any other and states that have perhaps been taken for granted in the past could be delegates that matter a great deal to the candidates,” Madrid said. “The opportunity to spend some time in the state meeting with delegates was worthwhile and could be advantageous down the road.”

He said Kasich’s team is likely to make similar forays into North Dakota or New Mexico with the same goal.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/inside-the-shadow-campaign-to-deny-trump-the-gop-nomination-221172

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ork of Fiction posted:

IMO, Trump should suggest putting together some sort of "citizen volunteer group" to go "patrol" Mormon neighborhoods.
The great thing about being a leader like him is that you don't need to suggest those things, people will just do them themselves.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

This is going to be a landslide year and it's because "nothing matters". Trump is a walking meme, and that's great when the meme is fresh and new, but I can see people getting really sick of his shtick in a few more months in a way that fellow trash people like Rush and Hannity haven't had to deal with. Right now he's season 2 of the Big Bang theory, he's going to be season 16 in November as America's knuckles turn white over the trillionth repetition of bazinga.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Donald Trump has made yardsigns obsolete with his hats. Thank loving god for that.

It"s like a loving return to the 19th century.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Trump/Thread continue to be Yuge and Great

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster

My Imaginary GF posted:

Donald Trump has made yardsigns obsolete with his hats. Thank loving god for that.

It"s like a loving return to the 19th century.

Politicians insulted each other a whole lot more in the 19th century so it's like going back in that way too. I like a little rough and tumble in my politics, weeds out the chaff that gum up the works and get c-ucked by lobbyists and foreign governments.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I guess I'm late to the party but lol about Ted Cruz plagiarizing Michael Douglas

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

deathbysnusnu posted:

This is going to be a landslide year and it's because "nothing matters". Trump is a walking meme, and that's great when the meme is fresh and new, but I can see people getting really sick of his shtick in a few more months in a way that fellow trash people like Rush and Hannity haven't had to deal with. Right now he's season 2 of the Big Bang theory, he's going to be season 16 in November as America's knuckles turn white over the trillionth repetition of bazinga.

if trump is big bang theory, what does that makes hillary? family guy? new x-files?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
If I had to guess, I'd say that the Cruz PAC that put out the ad were specifically looking for this kind of reaction from Trump, and he walked right into their trap.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

if trump is big bang theory, what does that makes hillary? family guy? new x-files?

Hillary would be NCIS.

No one knows anyone who likes it, but somehow it does great in the ratings.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

TyrantWD posted:

Hillary would be NCIS.

No one knows anyone who likes it, but somehow it does great in the ratings.

DiNozzo for veep

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

StandardVC10 posted:

It's too late now

There's no way out

But through.

How come nobody calls Hillary a wonk? She is the wonkiest candidate we've had for a long time.. She's wonky In spades. In fact, this election year will be the year of the wonk v. the schlongmeister.

ED: need an umlaut or 2 for schlongmeister but phoneposting so

petit choux fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 24, 2016

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Wonkiness only applies to former Nintendo Power cover models who do cool p90-x shoots. Experts in matters of geopolitics and government aren't wonks.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Modern family. Technically popular, tons of people watch it, focus tested for every demographic, no one loves it. If only there were a candidate equivalent of Rick and Morty.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

deathbysnusnu posted:

Modern family. Technically popular, tons of people watch it, focus tested for every demographic, no one loves it. If only there were a candidate equivalent of Rick and Morty.

hi.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Yes, Ted. By all means. Engage.

The Republican Primary is basically Donald Trump prank calling all the other candidates with vulgar messages and them for no apparent reason trying to reason with the caller until they lose their minds.

@realDonaldTrump No, Donald, I don't know an "Ivana Tinkle". #shutup

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

A rehash of a 90s classic that nobody really wanted back so....Fuller House?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

is my anticipation for the gop convention what normal adult males feel while waiting for the *squints eyes* supper bulb? superb bowl? s... super goal?

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Mr. Pumroy posted:

is my anticipation for the gop convention what normal adult males feel while waiting for the *squints eyes* supper bulb? superb bowl? s... super goal?

superb owl

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

deathbysnusnu posted:

Wonkiness only applies to former Nintendo Power cover models who do cool p90-x shoots. Experts in matters of geopolitics and government aren't wonks.

If it worked for Paul Ryan, it should work for Hillary Clinton. Just sayin. We are talking politics and PR here, not reality.

Or maybe my poor sense of irony has failed me again. You're ironically wonkposting?

petit choux fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 24, 2016

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/712850174838771712

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

and we've just ratcheted down another notch, thanks America

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/693994865131175938

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
god I just loving love dirty politics so loving much and I have no idea why

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTbkbH3x7LQ

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

god I just loving love dirty politics so loving much and I have no idea why

Our barbarian DNA longs for the coliseum

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

That sounds a lot like my plan for winning the lottery.

1. Choose winning numbers.
2. Buy ticket with winning numbers.
3. Collect my winnings.

It's so simple, why hasn't this strategy been adopted by my opponents?

Edit: lol

XK fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 24, 2016

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Hillary tweets in 3rd person

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
John Kasich's twitter is very excited about the new Pennsylvania poll - they just retweeted this:

https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/712983194866434049

That's a pretty big margin of error, though.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Our barbarian DNA longs for the coliseum

my barbarian DNA longs for pizza

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Slate Action posted:

John Kasich's twitter is very excited about the new Pennsylvania poll - they just retweeted this:

It's a wonderfully predictant poll with a range of Kasich +7.8. ~ Trump +13.8

Perfect thing to base aaaaanything on.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Who's your Morty?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I like this fantasy the republicans have that if someone else wins Trump will blink out of existence and not cause havoc for them during the GE

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chantilly Say posted:

Who's your Morty?

Gee Morty I dunno you're like all my freak'n Mortys ya kno?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Slate Action posted:

Good luck with that one Kasich.

Hint: Pennsylvania is one of the states to the right (along with WV), where every border county went Trump.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Al! posted:

I like this fantasy the republicans have that if someone else wins Trump will blink out of existence and not cause havoc for them during the GE

They don't have any plans for what they're gonna do after they blatantly slam dunk on their own front runner.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

:perfect:

this really is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Al! posted:

and we've just ratcheted down another notch, thanks America

Those foriegn bitches are taking husbands from American Women!!!!!! Where is the outrage?

• Locked thread