Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I kinda hope Beerus will always be stronger than Goku and Vegeta. I mean, that's obviously not gonna happen, but his whole temper thing is kinda defanged if Goku was able to put him into line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Mordaedil posted:

No, he pretty explicitly said if they worked as a team properly. Whis isn't even aware of fusion and its applicability from what we've seen.

But he was there when Gotenks got beat up? Pretty sure he knows.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rutibex posted:

If thats the case, then Goku must be stronger than Beerus by now. He gave him a decent fight when he went SSJ Red, he was clearly weaker, but not overwhelmingly so. Since that fight Goku has gone through training with Weis, gained a "more powerful" transformation, and gone through two bouts of time compression training.

All of that can't add up to Goku still being weaker than Beerus.

Beerus was holding back. And explicitly could have crushed him at any point he wanted to.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Mordaedil posted:

No, he pretty explicitly said if they worked as a team properly. Whis isn't even aware of fusion and its applicability from what we've seen.

Goku asked Vegeta if they should work together and he was like I rather not do that again and I really feel he means fusion. Vegeta looked pretty embrassed when Goku asked him and it's not like they really do teamwork.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they weren't talking about fusion

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Everytime a DBZ character uses teamwork it end disastrously so that is why he is embarrassed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Fusion is gone now because it basically broke dbz. There's basically no reason not to use it against every villain. BoG basically had to retcon/nullify how powerful it was in the Buu saga for the movie to make sense.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Everytime a DBZ character uses teamwork it end disastrously so that is why he is embarrassed.

17 and 18 made it work.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are you saying the Ginyu Force was a bad idea?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kurui Reiten posted:

Are you saying the Ginyu Force was a bad idea?

It did gently caress all for Burter and Jeice.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stairmaster posted:

Fusion is gone now because it basically broke dbz. There's basically no reason not to use it against every villain. BoG basically had to retcon/nullify how powerful it was in the Buu saga for the movie to make sense.

Nothing was retconned though. Vegetto was incredibly powerful in comparison to Super Buu, but Beerus is even beyond that. Saying that BoG retconned something is silly in Dragon Ball where power levels increase uncontrollably forever.

That said yeah don't ever expect another fusion again apart from hopefully Gotenks appearances if this series ever remembers someone other than Goku and Vegeta exists. Instead, look at Dragon Ball Fusions! That game looks good. Maybe it'll have a Super Saiyan Blue Gogeta/Vegetto, it would be normal in comparison to other stuff it has shown.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Super seems to have taken DBZ critics seriously, even allowing piccolo to be relevant so maybe.

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

It did gently caress all for Burter and Jeice.

purple comet causes a timewarp that brings the show back to raditz

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

I kinda hope Beerus will always be stronger than Goku and Vegeta. I mean, that's obviously not gonna happen, but his whole temper thing is kinda defanged if Goku was able to put him into line.

Cell was still dangerous as poo poo after Gohan became stronger than he was.

Beerus could still nuke earth 20 times over before Goku stopped him.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Cell was still dangerous as poo poo after Gohan became stronger than he was.

Beerus could still nuke earth 20 times over before Goku stopped him.

Beerus' fist clashing with Goku's fist literally tore holes in reality.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

goku could technically keep Chichi "in line" but he doesn't because that's spousal abuse and he only does that on accident. So you know the same with beerus.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Elfgames posted:

goku could technically keep Chichi "in line" but he doesn't because that's spousal abuse and he only does that on accident. So you know the same with beerus.

Maybe Goku only pretends it's an accident. Slap your wife through a wall and the lovable dope is all like "Oops, sorry Chichi, I guess I didn't know my own strength haha!" Then he leans over and whispers "Pray you never know it either.."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

HitTheTargets posted:

SSG Goku is a 6, Beerus is 10, and Whis is a 15.

Has Toriyama already forgotten about this? Because if not, then Goku (and Vegeta) should be getting pretty close to Beerus now. SSB is stronger than SSG, and it was still weaker than Beerus given Golden Freeza's reactioni when he saw him (though, how he would know that, I'm still not sure). It took what, 6 months to a year for Goku/Vegeta to reach SSB, and now they've been in the new Hyperbolic Time Chamber for 3 whole years. Presumably they're still weaker than Beerus because neither he nor Whiis have made any comment suggesting otherwise.

I know a lot of people criticize the importance that some of us place on the issue of power levels, but it's really difficult to ignore such a thing within the context of DB. Since the Golden Freeza arc/movie, there seems to be little to no logic about why many of the villains and other characters are as strong as they are. We're just told to accept it. What, Freeza had the ability to accomplish an astronomical level of exponential growth in power the entire time but was literally too lazy to ever bother? Well, shucks. Don't that beat all?

And now the Z-fighters are fighting aliens from another dimension, who are either as strong as Goku and Vegeta are, without any real backstory on why they're that strong to begin with, or they're no where near as strong as them at all, which then makes the tournament seem completely pointless. I'm not sure which one would be preferable.

Covok posted:

Beerus' fist clashing with Goku's fist literally tore holes in reality.

And then subsequently stopped doing that for some reason.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Because Goku learned how to fight Beerus properly so their fists clashing was proper technique, so in a sense, it was Goku unintentionally loving the universe up, not Beerus.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Reading the latest chapter I was slightly disappointed at the fight between Frost and Piccolo. :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Battle of Gods Beerus says he was only using about 70% of his power. The subs I had for Super had Beerus saying he was using 100% of his power to fight Super Saiyan God Goku.

In Super it seems that Goku was already pretty close to being able to defeat Beerus before training with Whis, if the subs are correct. I find this change interesting.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think Super ever made it explicitly clear in the BoG arc at all that Whis was able to KO Beerus with a single shot and a whole other level above either, right?

Because in the movie he just knocks Beerus out and flys off, but they go together in Super. Like, Super feels like they're mystifying some of the dynamic between Whis and Beerus up somewhat. Maybe so they can revise power levels between the two or something?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Some things need to remain unattainable. Gurren Lagaan's power creep by the end was fun, but I don't want Dragonball to end up the same way. The DBS Beerus fight became perilously close to breaking that wall.

Edit: RELEVANT http://kotaku.com/dragon-ball-fans-must-always-wonder-why-spain-1766795518

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 24, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

New Leaf posted:

Some things need to remain unattainable. Gurren Lagaan's power creep by the end was fun, but I don't want Dragonball to end up the same way. The DBS Beerus fight became perilously close to breaking that wall.

Edit: RELEVANT http://kotaku.com/dragon-ball-fans-must-always-wonder-why-spain-1766795518

Like you stupid Americans can talk about dumb names. "Special Beam Cannon", hunf.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dias posted:

Like you stupid Americans can talk about dumb names. "Special Beam Cannon", hunf.

I didn't vote for it. Besides, I prefer Kienzan to Destructo Disk, but both have their charms. Destructo Disk definitely sounds like a name that an English-speaking Krillin would have come up with because it sounded cool.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

How about not worrying about power levels after the creator himself said he didn't.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

New Leaf posted:

I didn't vote for it. Besides, I prefer Kienzan to Destructo Disk, but both have their charms. Destructo Disk definitely sounds like a name that an English-speaking Krillin would have come up with because it sounded cool.

I'll give you that Taiyoken was kinda confusing as a 8-year-old when there was also this other established technique with a very similar name, so Solar Flare is also a fine translated name.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

What, Freeza had the ability to accomplish an astronomical level of exponential growth in power the entire time but was literally too lazy to ever bother? Well, shucks. Don't that beat all?

I am perfectly fine with this, in fact I love the concept. It makes Frieza threatening again (he was killed like a chump, just to demonstrate how super sayjins aren't important any more). It is also perfectly reasonable within his character.

Frieza never encountered anything in his entire life that required any effort, that is going to naturally result in a person that is incredibly lazy.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I mean I think the tournament is pretty cool. I mean one part of me is just like "Go Blue and murder everyone," but it's totally in line with Goku and Vegeta to keep their power levels low to make things present a challenge.

I also buy that the final guy is going to be on par with them at SSB and perhaps even stronger. There's literally no way that fifth slot is going unused.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I mean I think the tournament is pretty cool. I mean one part of me is just like "Go Blue and murder everyone," but it's totally in line with Goku and Vegeta to keep their power levels low to make things present a challenge.

I also buy that the final guy is going to be on par with them at SSB and perhaps even stronger. There's literally no way that fifth slot is going unused.

lol if you think this tournament is going to end with a winner, and not end with arena being destroyed in preparation for an epic real battle.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd imagine that Hit's probably stronger than what we saw of Goku in RoF/Golden Frieza's part of Super (I think they treat SSB quite differently too, Goku feels like he's holding back in RoF and not in Super to me) but those three years they spent in the time chamber will have given Goku and Vegeta either Blue Two or a big power jump when going all out.

I'll tag this bit because it's speculation based on synopses we got for future episodes:
Vegeta's definitely losing to Hit after struggling through the evenly matched Cabba (with a tired out Vegeta) and he'll probably do it quite easily by that point, without showing their new SAIYANS ONLY + NO GOHANS ALLOWED trump card, Monaka gets chumped out and Goku plays hero.

I'm pretty intrigued by Bulma's subplot thinking Beerus is going to go full heel and use his wish to do something bad. I can't really see them going with Beerus as a villain again after this and Champa feels even more unlikely than him. Should be fun to see where it goes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Everyone in the new universe has gimmicks though. Hit can probably do something like transfer someone's ki over to himself or something; he obviously has some kind of weird gimmick that he used when we saw him.

It's like the old tournaments, except everyone is Man Wolf and Bacterian and Devilman or whoever.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
For once in his life, let Vegeta get what he wants, lord knows it would be the first time.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I like super but I do not like that all recent dragon ball media has revolved around frieza.

gently caress frieza show my boy Cell some love

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I almost wish they'd do a reboot of some kind, like Dragonball - The Next Generation where non-Saiyans are viable again and there's a sense of mystery and excitement tied to the Dragonballs again. This is a terrible analogy, but think about something like the Transformers movies - Bumblebee can't take down Megatron on his own, you need someone Optimus Prime to stand toe to toe with him. But if Bumblebee hits Megatron, he's drat sure going to feel it. And if you get Bumblebee and a half-dozen of his friends together, Megatron has a fight on his hands. As fun as it all is, and as much as I love every scrap of it, I still think the Saiyan Saga on through the Frieza Saga was DBZ at its prime. After that and it might as well be a different show entirely.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Why is bubbles not in the poll?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
https://www.facebook.com/angeltvstark/videos/1706578352889458/

This is just not realistic.

Edit: God damnit, even allowing for some multiple timeline shenanigans that would let Bardock, adult Goku, Vegeta, and Vegito to be four separate people on a beach together, where are the Potara earnings??

zelah fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 24, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

New Leaf posted:

I almost wish they'd do a reboot of some kind, like Dragonball - The Next Generation where non-Saiyans are viable again and there's a sense of mystery and excitement tied to the Dragonballs again. This is a terrible analogy, but think about something like the Transformers movies - Bumblebee can't take down Megatron on his own, you need someone Optimus Prime to stand toe to toe with him. But if Bumblebee hits Megatron, he's drat sure going to feel it. And if you get Bumblebee and a half-dozen of his friends together, Megatron has a fight on his hands. As fun as it all is, and as much as I love every scrap of it, I still think the Saiyan Saga on through the Frieza Saga was DBZ at its prime. After that and it might as well be a different show entirely.

I think Dragonball can be broken up into three distinct thematic chunks:
1)The first is the kid Goku saga. Everyone gets to contribute and lots of people are way stronger than Goku
2)The second is adult Goku (beginning with the last chapter of Dragonball) up until the end of the frieza saga (when he becomes a super saiyan). Gokus friends are powerful enough to be useful cannon fodder or distractions
3)The third is crazy town, Cell saga through DB Super. We are through the looking glass, nothing is real. Saiyans only beyond this point, anyone else is too weak to even serve as a distraction

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like how devalued the Dragon Balls became, from "the reason for the series' existence" to "relevant plot device" and finally "a bingo prize".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
People who think the 'Kid Goku' era wasn't about Goku saving the day 24/7 haven't actually read that part in a long while.

• Locked thread