Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
can we get a new thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ShakeZula posted:

She doesn't care about the kid, she cares that he lied to her. You can think it's bullshit, but she's spelled it out pretty clearly.

I definitely didn't like the snarky tone they had her taking for most of this episode though, she was coming across like Oliver had broken it off with her instead of vice-versa.

That's not the story she gave him last episode. Last episode it was because he didn't consult her before sending his kid and baby mama into witness protection.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Darhk's face when the judge decided to put his rear end in jail was incredible. I just hope he doesn't skip off like I expect all other comic book guys to. I guess the justice system has to fail to justify all the vigilantes, but it'd be nice to see Laurel pick up a win. All of the Olicity stuff was garbage and I'm pissed off that she's left in the last 2 episodes, but she still keeps showing up. Go away.

BEES. God save us all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Maybe Oliver is in the grave and we've just been seeing his ghost and now the REAL star of the show Felicity can take over!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

hopefully felicity is in the grave and we just saw head felicity.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Felicity needs to hop on a bus the gently caress off the show.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Xelkelvos posted:

I assumed Ollie caught it because he's a badass

I dunno. The tip of the arrow was squashed in, and he specifically says he's wearing Kevlar.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
On the one hand, I liked the episode because it actually gave Thea and Laurel some legitimate things to do, and Cupid is a fun villain. On the other hand, the Olicity stuff has gone to levels beyond tiring. I think I was actually chuckling during some of Ollie and Felicity's scenes because it's become farcical at this point.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

10 Beers posted:

I dunno. The tip of the arrow was squashed in, and he specifically says he's wearing Kevlar.

I meant that's what I assumed when I saw it before he revealed he was wearing Kevlar which shouldn't do that to an arrowhead anyways. He caught an arrow in the same episode too iirc.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Xelkelvos posted:

I meant that's what I assumed when I saw it before he revealed he was wearing Kevlar which shouldn't do that to an arrowhead anyways. He caught an arrow in the same episode too iirc.

Ahh, I gotcha. It wasn't the worst thing about the episode, just the pickle on top of the poo poo sandwich, so to speak.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I have a soft spot for Cupid. Gumenick really plays convincing crazy. It's the eyes.

Also, bet line of the night was Diggle's "That's a drat good question."

This season is still better than the last one, but the show feels like it's in a holding pattern. Dahrk has been great, but things still feel like the status quo is unchanged, minus Felicity's outbursts. If you compare where things are now with the beginning of the season, the only things that's really changed is "Ollie is the Arrow. Again." I'm hoping that Lance's situation helps shake things up a little bit.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ApeHawk posted:

"You live a life where you will have to keep secrets to protect others BECAUSE I SPECIFICALLY ASKED YOU TO LEAVE OUR SUBURBAN STEPFORD EXISTENCE AND RETURN TO IT and I cannot deal with that." - Felicity Smoak
FTFY

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I'm actually looking forward to the bee girl if it means there will be no traces of Felicity anywhere in the episode.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Krad posted:

I'm actually looking forward to the bee girl if it means there will be no traces of Felicity anywhere in the episode.

She's going to be going after Felicity in the episode

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I hate this show. :smith:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The last two episodes with Felicity is my "jump the shark" moment, I think. I'm completely disinterested in the show, which is sad because S1 and 2 were amazing.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I love how I think I hate Felicity as much as I can but then this thread reminds me that Felicity pushed Oliver into being the Arrow again and getting into a relationship with her despite his clear issues and then she turns around and gets mad at him because of those things.

If the writers are intentionally ruining the character so we'll celebrate when Oliver/Laurel happens, they're succeeding.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
How about a bit of positivity? That really was a lovely wedding dress!

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nephthys posted:

If the writers are intentionally ruining the character so we'll celebrate when Oliver/Laurel happens, they're succeeding.

Yeah but, I hate Laurel's character and her super hero persona too. Every time they show her with her head thrust forward and her mouth open wide for that canary scream thing is just god awful. There may not be too many characters in the show but it's a real problem that they try to write a scene for every one of them into every episode.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
UGH remember when Felicity was the best character on the show? Why can't we go back to that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Honestly not really. I think she's in the best of times just been kind of a caricature of tech support babe character.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Xelkelvos posted:

I kind of think that he actually did catch it? It certainly looked like that for a bit, when he fell down.
Does Cupid know about the Arrow being Oliver Queen? Because if she doesn't (and in this episode she seems to be unaware), then Oliver could have worn and used the kevlar as a quick excuse.

I also enjoyed Thea being the only one who would follow celebrities gossip and quote the "shippers'" lingo saying stuff like "aw, not Allibert". Also funny, that scene where she stands on top of that limousine car with the kidnapped celebrity couple and gets rammed into a wall with almost zero warning.

And putting Darhk behind bars was a good thing that happened.

Come to think of it, the Felicity stuff was mostly responsible for the episode's bad aftertaste.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

UGH remember when Felicity was the best character on the show? Why can't we go back to that.

I don't because Diggle has always been the best character on this show.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

She's going to be going after Felicity in the episode

maybe her bees will kill Felicity and then she can take over as the new techno wizard on the team

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AbstractNapper posted:

Does Cupid know about the Arrow being Oliver Queen? Because if she doesn't (and in this episode she seems to be unaware), then Oliver could have worn and used the kevlar as a quick excuse.

No, she doesn't. She thinks Arrow was Roy who is now dead. That's why she said "I've loved two men in my life and they both died." Arrow and Deadshot.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Bruceski posted:

No, she doesn't. She thinks Arrow was Roy who is now dead. That's why she said "I've loved two men in my life and they both died." Arrow and Deadshot.

Obviously she meant her partner in SWAT before meeting Ollie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought Laurel and Lance were both pretty good in the episode. Some parts of the case were still a little sketchy, but it was one of the few legal storylines on the show...and the first in a very long while...that didn't make me annoyed at the universe.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

greatn posted:

Honestly not really. I think she's in the best of times just been kind of a caricature of tech support babe character.

What? No. She was great because she was lovably awkward and yet was rational and mature and played a big role in Oliver's character growth.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I thought Laurel and Lance were both pretty good in the episode. Some parts of the case were still a little sketchy, but it was one of the few legal storylines on the show...and the first in a very long while...that didn't make me annoyed at the universe.

The bizarre part was that Lance confessed to several crimes, at least one of them federal, while testifying and he was not arrested on the spot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

The bizarre part was that Lance confessed to several crimes, at least one of them federal, while testifying and he was not arrested on the spot.

There's not necessarily any evidence of what Lance did as of yet. Just his testimony, so he could be charged, but the amount of evidence is about as thin as the evidence against Dahrk barring testimony from anyone involved in HIVE. That's the likely result in reality. Idk about Arrowverse.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

There's not necessarily any evidence of what Lance did as of yet. Just his testimony, so he could be charged, but the amount of evidence is about as thin as the evidence against Dahrk barring testimony from anyone involved in HIVE. That's the likely result in reality. Idk about Arrowverse.

If you walk into a police station and confess that you killed someone, don't they arrest you on the spot? Sure, there's still and investigation but they don't just let you leave, AFAIK.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'll go try and I'll post results in a half hour.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
That episode was like 40 minutes of good sandwiched with Felicity/Oliver awfulness.

And it sucks because I feel like Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards are trying their best with the awful material.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

I'll go try and I'll post results in a half hour.

Turns out the killer struck again while I was being interviewed so they let me go with a stern warning about "obstruction" of "justice" if I ever do this again. Whatever that means. I told them "This is Alaska. There is no justice. There is just ice."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

If you walk into a police station and confess that you killed someone, don't they arrest you on the spot? Sure, there's still and investigation but they don't just let you leave, AFAIK.

It really depends if the confession is credible and the person who confessed looks to commit another crime.

Most of Lance's crime involved his position as Chief of Police or w/e so him being suspended essentially removed his ability to commit any more crimes like the ones he confessed to. Eventually, he'll get charged and arrested, but it's essentially up to AG and others to set a date of arrest and so forth.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Is Arnell still talking up the episodes on social media?

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus
The legal part of the episode made me cringe repeatedly. There is no hearsay objection to a statement by defendant. Probable cause (a common term bizarrely absent from the court's vocabulary) is a pretty low bar, which was EASILY (I mean EASILY) met by many different pieces of evidence in the case. Duress for someone else being hurt is not a legal defense (people object to this in academic circles, but no state that I'm aware of recognizes this -- possibly because it doesn't come up too much outside of TV/movies), this might (?) come up in future episodes, we'll see.

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus

Xelkelvos posted:

A confession is just about the most damning evidence there is. It can never be "thin." And "as thin as the evidence against Dahrk" means a substantial amount of evidence. People these days (including real juries I'm told) watch too much CSI -- you barely ever get DNA/video evidence to convict someone.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Dear Arrow writers,

I have a great idea on how to fix your problems with Felicity. Have a Supergirl crossover and have Oliver take her out on a date.

Either that or fridge Felicity.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

libertao posted:

A confession is just about the most damning evidence there is. It can never be "thin." And "as thin as the evidence against Dahrk" means a substantial amount of evidence. People these days (including real juries I'm told) watch too much CSI -- you barely ever get DNA/video evidence to convict someone.

Probably true. IANAL

• Locked thread