Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

CelticPredator posted:

Who boos at movies?

Audience reactions at cannes get press, I guess. I think i've been in the audience when people clapped one time. It just feels good to cheer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'd boo crash, gently caress that garbage

but seriously, booing fire walk with me is loving lame, twin peaks fans being all butthurt that it's not like the show bums me the gently caress out, the tone of that movie is goddamn ESSENTIAL to understanding twink peaks as a whole

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

cat doter posted:

I'd boo crash, gently caress that garbage

I believe it was Cronenberg's Crash they booed, not the other thing.

What a fun video store mix up that would be though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

cat doter posted:

twink peaks

Give me this version

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

weekly font posted:

Give me this version

haha, missed that, that's a great typo

Glamorama26 posted:

I believe it was Cronenberg's Crash they booed, not the other thing.

What a fun video store mix up that would be though.

god, that's even worse, I guess canne audiences are kind of assholes, hell even the 15 minutes of clapping stories strike me as extremely odd

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
The Cannes audience is important drat you, look how long they clapped! LOOK! Hoho, if only your hand motions resonated like theirs.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The hooting Cannes apes love booing and jeering, it's no big deal.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I tried watching Inland Empire, and fell asleep. Had a lot of odd nightmares about rabbits, Polish people, The Loco-motion, and Ellie from Jurassic Park.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's pretty much the movie, you sure you fell asleep?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's worth mentioning that they booed PULP FICTION when Tarantino won the Palme D'Ors because it was felt that THREE COLOURS should've won instead. That's shittier to me though, since Tarantino was on his way to the stage at the time.

But again...CLERKS 2

As it is, FIRE WALK WITH ME is a brutal masterpiece about child abuse and the final tragic days of a girl's descent into hell. Sheryl Lee is absolutely astounding in the role, and that she wasn't recognised for it more is a travesty.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People booed at Cloverfield and threw popcorn at the screen.

I hated them.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Fire Walk with Me was the first David Lynch movie I watched (after watching the show), and I loved every minute of it. It's so depressingly dark and tragic.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

While the story about the Cannes audience is oft-repeated, it's worth noting that their booing and cheering of movies doesn't mean a lot, and their track ready is spotty at best. CRASH, TAXI DRIVER and PULP FICTION were also booed. By comparison, CLERKS 2 got a standing ovation.
They sound like a chimpanzee picking stocks at random.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

cat doter posted:

twin peaks fans being all butthurt that it's not like the show bums me the gently caress out, the tone of that movie is goddamn ESSENTIAL to understanding twink peaks as a whole

I love FWWM but I think the reason people were disappointed was because they were hungry for more of the same and instead it started with Lynch literally having an axe go into a TV set to establish that he didn't give a gently caress about making more of the same.

I agree with you that what we got was essential Twin Peaks anyway. It was just hard to take for some of the fans of the show who forgot that Lynch is an actual artist so you have to decide to follow him instead of vice versa.

It's full nightmare mode Twin Peaks.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

That's a great way to put it. There are times where it's my absolute favorite part of the whole thing. It gets straight up horrifying at times.

I watched Lost Highway for the first time the other day, and it may be my favorite Lynch movie. Toss-up between it and FWWM, though FWWM has the advantage of being connected to my favorite show, so I'm definitely biased toward it.

Robert Blake scared the poo poo outta me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dude if you liked Lost Highway you should check out Edgar G. Ulmer's movie Detour. It's in the public domain so it's pretty easy to find.

Lost Highway is basically an unofficial remake just with Lynchian supernatural stuff added in. The lead actor in Detour even murdered his wife!

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

also watch kiss me deadly, carnival of souls, and vertigo if you haven't

i think i've mentioned this itt before but if you like lost highway check out steven soderbergh's schizopolis, made in 1996 as well, it's essentially the same movie as lost highway (except not as lurid) and both soderbergh and lynch were inspired by the oj simpson trial unbeknownst to each other. and then in mulholland dr lynch paid tribute to soderbergh's the limey.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 24, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

Dude if you liked Lost Highway you should check out Edgar G. Ulmer's movie Detour. It's in the public domain so it's pretty easy to find.

Lost Highway is basically an unofficial remake just with Lynchian supernatural stuff added in. The lead actor in Detour even murdered his wife!

Detour is amazing, and it's free on YouTube. I went in expecting noir cheese and was blown away by how compelling and watchable it is.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

You guys are awesome, i'm going to go watch this immediately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89KbxhLDPps

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Otto Preminger's Laura is also a must watch, where do you think Laura Palmer got her name? It's on Netflix.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

InfiniteZero posted:

I love FWWM but I think the reason people were disappointed was because they were hungry for more of the same and instead it started with Lynch literally having an axe go into a TV set to establish that he didn't give a gently caress about making more of the same.

I agree with you that what we got was essential Twin Peaks anyway. It was just hard to take for some of the fans of the show who forgot that Lynch is an actual artist so you have to decide to follow him instead of vice versa.

I believe the cast were also upset. It's why Cooper isn't present in the movie more despite them mentioning a number of times that he investigated the case of Teresa Banks. Lynch left the show once he was bored with it and only came back when he wanted to do the movie, which pissed off a few cast members, particularly after the lackluster Season 2 (Which isn't that bad, but massively drags in the middle).

It's clear to see that his attitude towards the show spills over into the movie, he essentially destroys his own creation.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

DrVenkman posted:

It's clear to see that his attitude towards the show spills over into the movie, he essentially destroys his own creation.

This was early 1990s and he couldn't do half of the stuff in FWWM on network television. He had a new format, +18 rating, 100% control over script and direction and hey, why not do other stuff with the characters? It wasn't like the movie was ever going to be "Twin Peaks go on Spring Break". The movie was always going to be about sexual abuse, incest and murder featuring a teenage girl. Not much room Little Nicky and dastardedly Dick there.

E: Not to mention that DL wanted to do 2 extra films about Twin Peaks but the box office returns were too low. He definitely did love TP and wanted to do more with it in film and darker, but yes, he did allow TP to fall apart during S2, though exactly how much personal involvement/control he had over scripts and new characters in later S2 I don't know.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 24, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

This was early 1990s and he couldn't do half of the stuff in FWWM on network television. He had a new format, +18 rating, 100% control over script and direction and hey, why not do other stuff with the characters? It wasn't like the movie was ever going to be "Twin Peaks go on Spring Break". The movie was always going to be about sexual abuse, incest and murder featuring a teenage girl. Not much room Little Nicky and dastardedly Dick there.

E: Not to mention that DL wanted to do 2 extra films about Twin Peaks but the box office returns were too low. He definitely did love TP and wanted to do more with it in film and darker, but yes, he did allow TP to fall apart during S2, though exactly how much personal involvement/control he had over scripts and new characters in later S2 I don't know.

A large part of his lack of involvement with S2 is due to working on Wild at Heart, as well as other projects.

And I thought Cooper was absent for a lot of FWWM because Kyle was tired of the character and didn't want to be typecast as "FBI character". And the whole debacle with Coop and Audrey being written out of their romance due to behind the scenes drama fueled the fire of him being tired of the franchise, let alone the flannel episodes.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Franchescanado posted:

A large part of his lack of involvement with S2 is due to working on Wild at Heart, as well as other projects.

And I thought Cooper was absent for a lot of FWWM because Kyle was tired of the character and didn't want to be typecast as "FBI character". And the whole debacle with Coop and Audrey being written out of their romance due to behind the scenes drama fueled the fire of him being tired of the franchise, let alone the flannel episodes.

Yes, I knew about DL working on WAH and hence being absent for most of S2. I wonder about how much involvement he had on scripting and casting matters re the middle/late part of S2. E: I mean, at a distance, while working on WAH.

ASAIK that info about Kyle is correct and he had a late change of heart during the run up to FWWM, hence he only has a short sequence in that. I think a lot of actors were pissed off about the dip in S2 and the feeling that DL had deserted them and that had led to cancellation of S3. Also a lot of them were sorry their parts in the movie were so small and not used in the theatrical cut.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Oh I know, I'm just saying that it's a very conscious choice that doesn't just start and end with the axe to the TV moment.

Franchescanado posted:

I've heard that repeated a few times, but it makes no sense since Wild At Heart was released in 1990, before S2 was renewed.

I'll have to see if I can find the interview, but I think its a Random Roles interview with one of the cast members (I want to say Sheryl Lee) who hesitated when answering, but basically said there was tension with Lynch coming back because his real focus was the movie and that he only came back to the show when he wanted something. I'm sure it wasn't a sentiment shared by the whole cast, but the idea was clear that there were a few key members who felt that way.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I know Lynch was really frustrated by the network forcing him to reveal Palmer's killer halfway through the second season. It really sucks he walked away from it for so long, because holy cow that is some bad television. I'd be bitter if I was a cast member, too.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I know Lynch was really frustrated by the network forcing him to reveal Palmer's killer halfway through the second season. It really sucks he walked away from it for so long, because holy cow that is some bad television. I'd be bitter if I was a cast member, too.

The cast went from being on one of the most wildly original and intelligent TV shows to a horrible parody of that same show and back again in the same season. That must have been quite the ride. I feel bad for them, but it was Lynch's vision that made the show so it was his to walk away from. I don't necessarily subscribe to Hitchcock's view of actors as cattle or mere devices that directors use, but I think when you're relying so heavily on a strong creative force like David Lynch, it becomes at least partially true, and the network forced his hand in demonstrating that.

If I could think of a modern day example that's just as absurd as taking Lynch away from Twin Peaks, think of what "Louie" would be like if the network continued the show after Louis CK walked. Same characters and themes, but being made by people pretending to be Louis CK instead. Twin Peaks might as well have been called "Lynch" (or in this example "Lynchie" I guess).

EDIT -- holy poo poo, now I want a version of "Louie" that stars David Lynch instead (yeah I know he was on Louie, but I want a version of Louie where it's stories about David Lynch doing poo poo around LA instead and instead of stand-up segues, we see Lynch sitting around having a smoke with Harry Dean Stanton talking about poo poo).

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 24, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

InfiniteZero posted:

The cast went from being on one of the most wildly original and intelligent TV shows to a horrible parody of that same show and back again in the same season. That must have been quite the ride. I feel bad for them, but it was Lynch's vision that made the show so it was his to walk away from. I don't necessarily subscribe to Hitchcock's view of actors as cattle or mere devices that directors use, but I think when you're relying so heavily on a strong creative force like David Lynch, it becomes at least partially true, and the network forced his hand in demonstrating that.

If I could think of a modern day example that's just as absurd as taking Lynch away from Twin Peaks, think of what "Louie" would be like if the network continued the show after Louis CK walked. Same characters and themes, but being made by people pretending to be Louis CK instead. Twin Peaks might as well have been called "Lynch" (or in this example "Lynchie" I guess).

EDIT -- holy poo poo, now I want a version of "Louie" that stars David Lynch instead (yeah I know he was on Louie, but I want a version of Louie where it's stories about David Lynch doing poo poo around LA instead and instead of stand-up segues, we see Lynch sitting around having a smoke with Harry Dean Stanton talking about poo poo).

I think what you really want is a Gordon Cole spinoff show

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I think what you really want is a Gordon Cole spinoff show

Anybody who doesn't isn't a friend of mine.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

InfiniteZero posted:

The segues would be him smoking on his porch at two in the morning, talking into the camera about all the things you can do with quinoa.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

InfiniteZero posted:

While not exactly what you're looking for, there's a great 20 minute documentary on YouTube of him and his helpers creating a mixed media painting, complete with a compilation of him saying "gently caress" and talking about his favorite shirt to paint in.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Here's hoping the new Twin Peaks isn't a trainwreck like the new X-Files. I'm fairly sure it won't be, since Lynch is at the helm, but fingers crossed anyway.

I absolutely love FWWM. It's probably the most harrowing movie I've ever watched. The Missing Pieces film from the blu ray set is great, too, but disappointed there wasn't an official cut with all that content put back in. Especially the stuff about Agent Jeffries and his visit to the lodge, plus all the extra scenes with the Palmers that made me feel super sorry for Leland.

Spoilers in case someone in this thread hasn't watched TP: you get to see more moments when Leland isn't being completely controlled by BOB, and is actually just a goofy dad that loves his family. I can see why it was cut, as it dramatically changes the tone to the more fun, soapy TV show, but it meant you got to see Leland as himself a bit more than that brief scene in the theatrical cut when he goes to see Laura in her room and tells her that he loves her, and seems to have some awareness of what BOB is doing which makes them both cry.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i was inspired to rewatch fire walk with me because of this thread and honestly i think it might be the best edited of his movies besides inland empire. lots of cool dissolves and superimpositions

also if anyone is interested ron garcia who dp'd a bunch of twin peaks, including the pilot and fire walk with me did an interview for the american cinematographer podcast http://www.theasc.com/site/podcasts/twin-peaks-pilot-1990-ron-garcia-asc/

and critic violet lucca has a new essay on the 30th anniversary revival of blue velvet that opens today http://www.filmcomment.com/blog/blue-velvet-homecoming/

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 25, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Quote-Unquote posted:

Spoilers in case someone in this thread hasn't watched TP: you get to see more moments when Leland isn't being completely controlled by BOB, and is actually just a goofy dad that loves his family. I can see why it was cut, as it dramatically changes the tone to the more fun, soapy TV show, but it meant you got to see Leland as himself a bit more than that brief scene in the theatrical cut when he goes to see Laura in her room and tells her that he loves her, and seems to have some awareness of what BOB is doing which makes them both cry.

Bob as a metaphor for past/childhood trauma really works well, its amazing how controlled Lynch was in the way he wrote that stuff. Bob and the spirits from the Lodge are explained in a decent amount of detail, but never overly defined in any literal way.

So you have Leland's description of Bob as an entity that got inside of him during his childhood, and when Bob commits heinous acts like rape and murder, he "takes over" and when he's done Leland can't really remember what happened. That may be literally what's happening, OR its possible Leland was abused as a child, and that trauma festered inside of him and created a side of his personality he refused to ever acknowledge. Its possible both things are equally true.

Lynch is a genius, basically.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Radio Spiricom posted:

and critic violet lucca has a new essay on the 30th anniversary revival of blue velvet that opens today http://www.filmcomment.com/blog/blue-velvet-homecoming/

Interesting article, as someone having never checked out the deleted scenes before. It sounds like those deleted scenes really do change the entire point of Blue Velvet.

I've always kind of considered Blue Velvet to be Lynch's update on Rear Window, but it appears that they were a little more different until editing on the former began.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 25, 2016

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Basebf555 posted:

So you have Leland's description of Bob as an entity that got inside of him during his childhood, and when Bob commits heinous acts like rape and murder, he "takes over" and when he's done Leland can't really remember what happened. That may be literally what's happening, OR its possible Leland was abused as a child, and that trauma festered inside of him and created a side of his personality he refused to ever acknowledge. Its possible both things are equally true.

Doesn't he also mention a childhood neighbor named Robert, associated with BOB? That seems to fit with the second take.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

Doesn't he also mention a childhood neighbor named Robert, associated with BOB? That seems to fit with the second take.

Yeah, a man who used to menace him with lit matches and fire. The abuse never left him. It fits with the whole Fire Walk With Me poem, which I feel is about cycles of abuse.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's weird that something that frustrated him so much would basically be the basis for the movie. Leland being the killer is perfect, and although maybe it would have been better to reveal it later, if I recall correctly the plan was to never reveal the killer, which would prolong the series indefinitely, and that sounds like some walking dead level garbage. Eventually you realize that nothing is ever going to really happen and you stop watching. I hate poo poo like that.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Alright, I rewatched Mulholland Drive for the first time since I was 18 or so. I mostly got it but what in the gently caress did the old people have to do with all of it? That poo poo lost me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Alright, I rewatched Mulholland Drive for the first time since I was 18 or so. I mostly got it but what in the gently caress did the old people have to do with all of it? That poo poo lost me.

THAT lost you?

• Locked thread