Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Andrast posted:

I hope the extra effort dubbing takes doesn't delay the European version.

Luckily PS4 (and I think Xbone) games aren't region locked so worst case scenario we can just import the US version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Hedy Burress comes off the same way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocsXc5PWHzk She has the same slow speaking style and laugh as Yuna. It feels like she is Yuna irl.

Holy poo poo there's a giant spirit whale called Sin in real life that a secret cabal of summoners have to partake in a crazy suicidal pilgrimage for their death religion in an effort to quell it? Is...is that what's hidden in the center of the Bermuda Triangle?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

In general, I actually think Tidus is a far better and more interesting performance than a lot of other ones in FFX. Wakka's voice just keeps sounding worse and worse the older the game gets; all of the Ronso sound silly. It's such an oddball collection of voices, you have british actors and american actors and american actors pretending to be Carribbean people...

FFX is a treasure.

I legitimately want Maechen to be the new Gilgamesh but instead of traveling dimensions and games to seek swords and have boss fights, he travels around to give exposition in the best voice imaginable.

Just imagine it - all those pesky Datalogs but read by Maechen who just happened to show up as our heroes were patrolling around Pulse. How did this old man get here? Who knows, who cares, let's listen to him recount the War of Transgression and then what happened to the people of Pulse afterward.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Luckily PS4 (and I think Xbone) games aren't region locked so worst case scenario we can just import the US version

Sure, I will probably have to do it for Persona 5 anyway so I might as well do it for FFXV as well.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

I legitimately want Maechen to be the new Gilgamesh but instead of traveling dimensions and games to seek swords and have boss fights, he travels around to give exposition in the best voice imaginable.

Just imagine it - all those pesky Datalogs but read by Maechen who just happened to show up as our heroes were patrolling around Pulse. How did this old man get here? Who knows, who cares, let's listen to him recount the War of Transgression and then what happened to the people of Pulse afterward.

It would have been cool, and I like how he actually has a story arc that carries over into the second game. A bunch of characters return, but he's the only one who it feels like just has his story continue smoothly across both.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

Holy poo poo there's a giant spirit whale called Sin in real life that a secret cabal of summoners have to partake in a crazy suicidal pilgrimage for their death religion in an effort to quell it? Is...is that what's hidden in the center of the Bermuda Triangle?

In the real world it's called the Republican Primary.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's always really interesting to see the different translations, and culture specific localisations. And to hear the bad voice-acting in languages other than English or Japanese :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's always really interesting to see the different translations, and culture specific localisations. And to hear the bad voice-acting in languages other than English or Japanese :v:

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPKHxbOg19s

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I mentoned I was playing FFVII and VIII PC and with VIIIPC I'm using what is called the Roses and Wine mod to fix the music.For all the songs that could be replaced with alternate versions, I selected them.

And oh man, this other version of "Blue Fields" makes it a really good world map theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_e7nYEyYNs

I always felt like the town and map theme were VIII's weakest part in terms of soundtrack. But this fixes all that.

I also love The Black Mages' version of the boss theme.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

NikkolasKing posted:

Is it wrong my mind immediately went to a Stanley Parable situation where Our Heroes try to do something else but Maechen keeps saying what actually happens?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In LR, is it at all possible to prevent the status effects from Eye of Bahamut? I can perfect guard the damage but the statuses still stick.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Andrast posted:

I hope the extra effort dubbing takes doesn't delay the European version.

it'd be a shame if ff15 got delayed

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

NikkolasKing posted:

So I mentoned I was playing FFVII and VIII PC and with VIIIPC I'm using what is called the Roses and Wine mod to fix the music.For all the songs that could be replaced with alternate versions, I selected them.
I did the same, except I kept the original version of The Man With The Machine Gun. The way I saw it, there was no point in replacing the perfect battle theme with a much worse orchestral version.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Is there any way to get recovery items in LR after entering the Temple of the Goddess? Preferably without leaving but I'm not even sure you can.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

AlphaKretin posted:

Is there any way to get recovery items in LR after entering the Temple of the Goddess? Preferably without leaving but I'm not even sure you can.

You can leave but you can't restock. Better to spam Curaga on the way up since the whole place is flooded with Chaos.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

AlphaKretin posted:

If you make it all the way to the boss you can leave and next time there will be a Yeul at the start that shortcuts you back to the boss. But otherwise no outside of curaga or playing on easy or maybe really abusing mediguards if you have it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Saint Freak posted:

If you make it all the way to the boss you can leave and next time there will be a Yeul at the start that shortcuts you back to the boss. But otherwise no outside of curaga or playing on easy or maybe really abusing mediguards if you have it.

That works. I've made it to Caius he's just kicking my rear end without healing.

E: Also Lancet, re: healing. I should probably have moved on from Dragoon but dammit I like them.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 24, 2016

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What's the general consensus on 8? It's the first FF I played, having primarily been a pc gamer when I was younger, and is still my favorite.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

What's the general consensus on 8? It's the first FF I played, having primarily been a pc gamer when I was younger, and is still my favorite.

8 is poorly regarded generally. I think it's one of the better ones, but the common opinion isn't very high. Not 13 levels of dislike though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

univbee posted:

French/German text-only translations have been a thing since FF7 (and at least in French have been really loving good since 9) but the dubs are a huge deal.

FFXIV must have laid the groundwork for it because its had full german and french localization since 2.0 came out. The demo was also localized in spanish but they never went a head with it for the entire client. Portuguese though is a big change, I dont know how this gens console market is in brazil, its growing but I dont think it would be large enough to warrant a full localization unless they are getting it cheap.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
8 is the game that 13 took the crown of "most divisive FF game" from. Personally I like it because of how easy it is to snap over your knee, but it is generally considered to be one of the more middling games in the franchise.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'd make the standard worst game in the series joke, but it's no longer the thread title.

So I'll say it's fine and is at the very least almost always interesting. The combat is incredibly imbalanced and the story focuses both too much on Squall and Rinoa's love story, and too little.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

AlphaKretin posted:

That works. I've made it to Caius he's just kicking my rear end without healing.

E: Also Lancet, re: healing. I should probably have moved on from Dragoon but dammit I like them.

Dragoon is very good if you have beatdown, a jump weapon, and the accessory that gives you a second jump. It's basically instant stagger on anything.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

chaosapiant posted:

It's a bit of a mess, but has very strong visuals. I'd say the first two discs are quite solid, and are a unique, fascinating twist on what a Final Fantasy could and should be, with a world unlike any of its predecessors and a battle system overflowing with complexity and possibility. Unfortunately, the junction system is poorly explained, most casual players will just rely on GFs, the script goes off the rails about the middle of disc 2 and loses the plot entirely in disc 3, though there are some amazing setpieces and musical bits throughout the whole game.

Overall it's...odd. I guess the biggest failure is that the characters aren't very charming. Squall is honestly among the most likable of his group, because he's essentially the only person with half a brain forced to travel in the company of morons and madwomen, and at every single turn it is his companions' incompetence that complicate, damage, endanger and otherwise just spoil his life. For a character whose arc is based around opening his heart up to others, the game makes a much better argument for just the opposite of this. To contrast, the seemingly bungling rival character actually effectively co-opts himself into every major villainous scheme in the game, defeats a demi-god in one strike, becomes a general, pilots a giant flying death airship into battle against ANOTHER giant flying death airship, and probably at some point banged his principal's wife, and his only friends are a woman who never speaks in more than one-word sentences and the coolest guy in the game.

In Final Fantasy VIII, the power of friendship is lame and dumb and Seifer's cool, ya know?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Some latest excerpts from Tabata

quote:

-Square Enix will have plenty of surprises for their event on March 31st, and to expect a trailer in Japanese as well.

-The father of Final Fantasy in Hironobu Sakaguchi called out Tabata saying “Let me tell you my impression on the Final Fantasy XV demo.” While Tabata can’t say what they talked about, he mentions with a laugh that Sakaguchi had a whole lot to say.

-A playable tech demo will be properly shown at the event.

-As for the play time, at first Square Enix estimated that it would take about 40 hours to clear the main scenario, but this has since then been bumped up to 50 hours. They’re currently not at the final stages of balancing out the game, but making optimal balances. They say that the game has more volume than they thought it would.

- As for the Airship, it has been decided from long ago on how they would introduce it into the game. It’s something that would have you say “this is the kind of Airship that should be in Final Fantasy XV.”

-Maintaining a frame rate of 30fps is their objective. This has not been completely optimized as of yet, as there are times where it breaks 30. They will continue making adjustments until the last minute before the game goes gold. If they’re unable to fixate on the 30fps, they will do something different.

-As for the game’s resolution, it’ll be revealed at the release event on March 31st.

-As for a PS4 bundle version, Square Enix is working on making it happen.

Final Fantasy XV is in development for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FF8 has a great OST. I imagine even people who dislike 8 love them some Balamb Garden or Man With The Machine Gun

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

FF8 has a great OST. I imagine even people who dislike 8 love them some Balamb Garden or Man With The Machine Gun

I don't cause i've never heard them, and i don't care too until i play the game so don't be the retard that links them

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't cause i've never heard them, and i don't care too until i play the game so don't be the retard that links them

Shut up nerde, you'll listen to this and like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWHJRNT8gcs

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

You should play Theatrhythm Curtain Call

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I know a lot of people don't like Time and Space (time and space, time and space) but I unironically love it.

I really hate that I've become a 13-2 apologist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

- As for the Airship, it has been decided from long ago on how they would introduce it into the game. It’s something that would have you say “this is the kind of Airship that should be in Final Fantasy XV.”

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I know a lot of people don't like Time and Space (time and space, time and space) but I unironically love it.

It's great, those people are very bad.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The XIII series as a whole has some unique musical stylings going on. Less so the first game, but it's hugely prevalent in XIII-2 and LR. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I certainly love it.

You see the FF series is kinda like Sonic. The games may be poo poo sometimes but the soundtrack is always excellent. Unless it's Sonic Chronicles.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tae posted:

I hope we get a helicopter

Fister Roboto posted:

FF13-2 is a cool game, it sucks that it has balance issues but it has cool music, funny writing, and a plot that ranges from silly fun that doesn't care about anything to weirdly serious that it doubles back to being funny in a goofy way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Excellent song and RIP to the singer. She died too young.

Fister Roboto posted:

No shame in liking good music or good games, friend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SSBwFt74Z0

chaosapiant posted:

I personally think of VIII as the worst game in the series. Worse than II or XIII.

BUT it has its good parts. The music, of course. The gameplay is interesting and fun and I love the Refining mechanic. It's just that the base, vanilla game is so easy, you'll never experience most of it because you don't have to. Also level scaling flat-out doesn't work because Junctions are the source of power, not levels.

But I'm being too negative again. Quistis has kind of an interesting character that I never noticed before. I usually use Squall, Selphie and Rinoa and Selphie says poo poo in the way of extra dialogue. But Quistis has a few extra scenes if you have her in your party at key moments. That was neat.
But otherwise, Squall and Rinoa are the only playable characters with any sort of focus or development. I actually like Rinoa more than Squall which is why I hate that her own character arc was hijacked because who needs to sort out their relationship with their father when they have a sexy broody boyfriend? Great lessons from Nojima.

But 8-bit Scholar was dead-on about Seifer. He's easily my favorite, and IMO the best, character in the whole game. His arc kind of fizzles like everything elsee in VIII but his character development really is the most consistent and sensible. In any other FF game, Seifer would be the hero. I love that dynamic he has with Squall with Seifer being the perfect picture of a JRPG protagonist while he ends up one of the primary antagonists.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 24, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i love this song, what are you smoking

Help Im Alive posted:

You should play Theatrhythm Curtain Call

i suck at rhythm games so i never bothered with it after playing the Demo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Time and Space, Time and Space, Time and Space!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Fister Roboto posted:

No lie, Historia Crux has some sick beats. I only know it from Theatrhythm but that's all I needed.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ventana posted:

I hope we get a helicopter

Y'know, this would actually be kind of cool. A low-key airship, just put a cool little decal near the tip to give it a little character, otherwise it's just the helicopter we have to get around, to go along with our normalish looking cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Maybe it a speedboat with wings now?