Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I love John Carpenter's The Thing and ran into/bought the game version over the weekend.

Really excited to see if it lives up to the movie at all. The back of the box claims that it has mechanics where you manage your team's paranoia levels to keep them from freaking out on you. I hope that actually works out in-game and isn't just an annoying WalkingDead style "your choices REALLY don't matter" things.

It can't be worse than the prequel movie though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Don't get your hopes up, its not very good and also ruins the ending of the movie.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
It's not great, but it's fine

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I'm expecting it to be "just ok," and would be surprised if it didn't gently caress up something from the movie, honestly. .

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Thing game is bad and all the paranoia and 'maybe one of you is the alien!!!!' poo poo is 100% scripted to the point where you can have a negative test on someone then have them turn out to be a monster at the next 'this is when someone turns out to be a monster' bit.
Oh and your companies have literally the dumbest AI I have ever encountered in a game.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Sakurazuka posted:

The Thing game is bad and all the paranoia and 'maybe one of you is the alien!!!!' poo poo is 100% scripted to the point where you can have a negative test on someone then have them turn out to be a monster at the next 'this is when someone turns out to be a monster' bit.
Oh and your companies have literally the dumbest AI I have ever encountered in a game.
bwahahaha welp, that was basically what I was expecting to happen there. That claim reeked of "false choice that doesn't really matter." Should be entertaining at least? I'm the dope that like Silent Hill Homecoming, so I have a soft spot for bad horror games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As a The Thing ripoff I liked Extermination more. It's an early rear end PS2 third person shooter so expect clunkiness but it exists in that weird period where games were moving from arcadey to realistic. Reminds me of Blue Stinger in a few ways.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VoidBurger posted:

I love John Carpenter's The Thing and ran into/bought the game version over the weekend.

Really excited to see if it lives up to the movie at all. The back of the box claims that it has mechanics where you manage your team's paranoia levels to keep them from freaking out on you. I hope that actually works out in-game and isn't just an annoying WalkingDead style "your choices REALLY don't matter" things.

it's bad but i wish someone would make a multiplayer first person the thing game it'd be sick as heck.

VoidBurger posted:

bwahahaha welp, that was basically what I was expecting to happen there. That claim reeked of "false choice that doesn't really matter." Should be entertaining at least? I'm the dope that like Silent Hill Homecoming, so I have a soft spot for bad horror games.

in the very first level you find the ufo blair was building. y'know, the ufo they blew up in the final act.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's bad but i wish someone would make a multiplayer first person the thing game it'd be sick as heck.

in the very first level you find the ufo blair was building. y'know, the ufo they blew up in the final act.
Also McReady somehow survives the events of the movie, they explicitly say Childs was a Thing while McReady isn't, and he deus ex machina saves your rear end at the very end.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Those aliens are smart! Build TWO of those, put one where the dumb humans will find it.... classic move.

(I won't be reading the spoilertags, I do wanna play the dumb thing for myself after all)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VoidBurger posted:

I guess it's better than Homecoming also the main bad guy looks exactly like John Carpenter

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Finally got and immediately burned through Oxenfree last night. I don't want to say much, except that it's kind of like what you'd get if the entirety of Life is Strange had the same atmosphere as the last episode and a half, and then you threw 12000 voiced lines of dialogue ala Firewatch in with it. Everyone in this thread should buy it and play it in the dark with headphones on.

I just binged through this in one sitting, that was a really cool game. The production values for it were way better than what I was expecting. The animation and voice acting was all top notch. The end game kind of dragged on a bit I felt but I'm definitely glad I played through it.

I'm probably gonna go look up some lets plays to see how some of the different options play out.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

VoidBurger posted:

Shatmemz is better.

But! I played this way back when before the mechanics were exposed, and it was a good time. If you actually know no spoilers I hope you 'enjoy' it too!

Disclaimer, I liked Homecoming too, but also that Men in Black game and Carrier, so I'm pretty terrible.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

VoidBurger posted:

It was Ok, like others have said the paranoia/fear mechanics were much simpler then advertised and the blood test system was straight up bullshit. As a horrorish shooter it was decently fun though.

It definitely feels like a game released before the consoles of the time could live up to its promises. I'd love to see a new version on modern hardware though.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Leper Residue posted:

I just binged through this in one sitting, that was a really cool game. The production values for it were way better than what I was expecting. The animation and voice acting was all top notch. The end game kind of dragged on a bit I felt but I'm definitely glad I played through it.

I'm probably gonna go look up some lets plays to see how some of the different options play out.
Funny you should mention that but my pal Bacter just finished up an LP on it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765073. Sadly he wasn't man enough to give Ren a good slapping.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess it's better than Homecoming also the main bad guy looks exactly like John Carpenter

Appropriate, since he's also voiced by John Carpenter.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

VoidBurger posted:

I read a review of this game once.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Well, me and the missus turned off the lights, donned the headset, and sat down to play Kitty Horrorshow's Anatomy.

Oh my loving god that game does an incredible job of getting under your skin and tormenting you. All psychological horror, no jumpscares, just weird, bizarre, unpleasant sights and sounds that climb under your skin and leave you writhing in abject misery.

It's a short game, clocking in at about 40 minutes, but it's the perfect length. It builds tension beautifully and preys upon your expectations. If you're tired of jumpscare-ridden short form horror games, you should check out Anatomy. Thanks for other people's input when I asked about it, I think it's definitely worth a play.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Songbearer posted:

Well, me and the missus turned off the lights, donned the headset, and sat down to play Kitty Horrorshow's Anatomy.

Oh my loving god that game does an incredible job of getting under your skin and tormenting you. All psychological horror, no jumpscares, just weird, bizarre, unpleasant sights and sounds that climb under your skin and leave you writhing in abject misery.

It's a short game, clocking in at about 40 minutes, but it's the perfect length. It builds tension beautifully and preys upon your expectations. If you're tired of jumpscare-ridden short form horror games, you should check out Anatomy. Thanks for other people's input when I asked about it, I think it's definitely worth a play.

If it's no jump scares, I'm totally down.

Also, I'm going to pull the trigger on Sylvio when I get home with the girlfriend.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hah, I have a signed Thing poster by John Carpenter himself commemorating the Thing game. Sadly it does not live up to its pedigree.

Other characters can get freaked out to the point they vomit or piss themselves, typically if you take them to a scary place covered in blood or something. Their trust of you is basically managed by you giving them weapons or doing a blood test on yourself.

Getting engineer guys to trust you so they repair doors for you is a thing, though if I recall, you can also force them to do so by aiming your gun at them for a few seconds.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I feel like a good The Thing game would be more like a Telltale game but with semi-random elements. The Thing isn't really about blasting aliens, and if you want that, Dead Space already exists.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I feel like a good The Thing game would be more like a Telltale game but with semi-random elements. The Thing isn't really about blasting aliens, and if you want that, Dead Space already exists.

Yeah, exactly. Make it a mystery game where who is a Thing is random (kind of like how it was variable who was or wasn't a replicant in the Blade Runner adventure game).

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I remember this review and now I feel old :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

VoidBurger posted:

I watched an LPer play the alpha for NightCry....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYsZSqxcs6I

...And I was SUPER unimpressed. It looks like poo poo, imo. Can we get over spooky little laughing girls voiced by 30-year-old women? Please?

I'm honestly not sure where the Clock Tower nostalgia comes from. Every time I've tried one it was really bad to actually play and the writing was never good enough to make up for it.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 24, 2016

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Hmm.. Clock tower is good! I even bought the ps1 copy from the video store in my home town when it closed. I was way too young to figure it out when I first played, but as an adult...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Although I hit a wall in clock tower 3 :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haunting Ground was good at the time and SNES Clock Tower was one of the best looking games on the system, other than that ummmm...

Clock Tower 3 :laugh:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Clock Tower 3 has a strong opening level, I guess.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I feel like dead space 3 was a better the thing game than the actual the thing game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

DreadOut: Keepers of the Dark is out. Cheap enough that I plunked down on it with the help of some card money. This should be a nice tide-me-over until Nightcry, which looks janky and cheesy in the best possible ways.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

clock tower 3 has simply the greatest fax-machine related scare in the genre

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

man nurse posted:

DreadOut: Keepers of the Dark is out. Cheap enough that I plunked down on it with the help of some card money. This should be a nice tide-me-over until Nightcry, which looks janky and cheesy in the best possible ways.

Did you like the original DreadOut? I very much did not, but I'm willing to give them another try if Keepers of the Dark is a significant improvement.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

Did you like the original DreadOut? I very much did not, but I'm willing to give them another try if Keepers of the Dark is a significant improvement.

It is not an improvement in any way. I got enough enjoyment out of what I paid for DreadOut though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

VoidBurger posted:

To toss my opinion in the ring, I quite enjoyed the game, but I also knew about the whole Thing transformations being bullshit before I played it, so I wasn't disappointed by that. It's not as great as the movie of course, but it's fun enough. I do remember having trouble with one boss and breaking the fight by shoving an AI partner through the door, because it's supposed to lock you in alone, but if you push someone through ahead of you then you have help (and I think they shoot the boss during the cutscene so the fight's practically over when it does start).

It's... it's not the most well made game, I'll admit.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

VoidBurger posted:

I thought homecoming was okay outside of the two choices that determine your ending. I got the dream ending and was furious.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I thought Homecoming was pretty great until the 'big twist' about Alex's past, which I feel immediately neutered a lot of the game's themes. :(

My favourite Silent Hill is 4 though, and I found 2 too much of a chore to actually play and just caught an LP of it, so I'm a Pretty Good Silent Hill Opinion Haver™

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speedball posted:

Yeah, exactly. Make it a mystery game where who is a Thing is random (kind of like how it was variable who was or wasn't a replicant in the Blade Runner adventure game).

Can we get Telltale to make a Blade Runner game then?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Danaru posted:

I thought Homecoming was pretty great until the 'big twist' about Alex's past, which I feel immediately neutered a lot of the game's themes. :(
It really felt like they were planning on making Alex gay, but changed course halfway through. Like the game makes much more sense with Alex desperately trying to win his family's approval after coming out, even enlisting in the army, which caused him to get discharged due to don't ask don't tell. The sexy nurses, the Siam, the Lurker with its vagina dentata mouth, and those split penis monsters would make much more sense as well, even if they'd be on the nose.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 24, 2016

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Accordion Man posted:

It really felt like they were planning on making Alex gay, but changed course halfway through. Like the game makes much more sense with Alex desperately trying to win his family's approval after coming out, even enlisting in the army, which caused him to get discharged due to don't ask don't tell. The sexy nurses, the Siam, the Lurker with its vagina dentata mouth, and those split penis monsters would make much more sense as well, even if they'd be on the nose.
The Silent Hill Wiki Circumcision Moderator had the same theory, haha. It's a theory which DOES make the game more interesting! ...Which means the Western devs DEFINITELY never even considered it. I think Tomm Hulett confirmed on some forum that Alex being gay was not something ever on the table during development?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

VoidBurger posted:

The Silent Hill Wiki Circumcision Moderator had the same theory, haha.
Stopped clock etc. But yeah its strange how easy that would fit in and how much better it could have made the game but they never thought to do that.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 24, 2016