Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
So I got the 540i engine in most of the way, at least it is on the mounts. Unfortunately, I couldn't use the pristine engine harness as the changed the plugs to the ecu and the knock sensors.

Anyone got any tips for getting the headers back on. The have to come off at least on the driver's side because of the steering box and knuckle. I assume from the webs that I might have to drop the rest of the exhaust, pull the engine up about 2" and try to get them on?

I've done this once before and think it was so bad I blocked the experience out of my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I've always left the headers on when pulling/dropping a motor in and remove the rack

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

Crustashio posted:

I've always left the headers on when pulling/dropping a motor in and remove the rack

Me too, but the 540i doesn't use a rack. Big honking old school steering box that you have to drop the subframe to get out.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
This is right across the river from my house:

https://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/5497679937.html

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
....is that a fake landau roof? On an e30?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao that's a 1k garbage car

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Crustashio posted:

....is that a fake landau roof? On an e30?

holy poo poo I didn't see that, assumed it was a vert. lmao

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So it has hail damage then.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So a buddy really likes that E30 and wants to go look at it. If we go, what kind of things should I look for in an E30 with an M30?

The body looks clean from what I can see, and we all know E30 prices are hilarious, I figured it's probably a $3k around here (midwest) assuming the swap was done properly and it has no major issues.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

So a buddy really likes that E30 and wants to go look at it. If we go, what kind of things should I look for in an E30 with an M30?

The body looks clean from what I can see, and we all know E30 prices are hilarious, I figured it's probably a $3k around here (midwest) assuming the swap was done properly and it has no major issues.

Who doesn't have money to find a rear seat? They are so low cheap I threw mine in the garbage because nobody would pay or take it for free (in great condition).

Landau top? No radio? "dents on passenger side" which were conveniently not included in the photos?

Engine swap car with a CEL? Really? loving really?

That thing is red flag after red flag, tell your friend to keep looking.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 22, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The only reason to put on a landau top is because you either have terrible taste or because it has hail damage and that was cheaper than getting the roof repaired.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
He's looking for a track car, so most of those things wouldn't really matter. Though he might get laughed at for the laundau top.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Tell him that we said the car is so nice he should probably offer $6500 for it, $7000 tops.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So I took a new BMW 320d automatic out for a test drive on Saturday and absolutely loved it, and have basically decided in the coming years that when the time comes to replace my Cooper S I would like to grab a 3 series. I figured that if I opt for something like newer ex-company cars with high mileage that have basically spent their lives on the motorway as opposed to an older car with lower miles thats probably been doing urban driving I could bag an F30 within my price range.

Given the nature of urban driving versus motorway cruising, is buying a 4 year old BMW with 100k+ on the clock a bad idea? For example, would I be a moron if I was to get something akin to this? http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/bmw/3-series/used-bmw-3-series-2-0-320d-sport-4dr-nottingham-fpa-201603172065179 I'm pretty confident I'd be able to tell just from sitting in and driving a car if it had been a motorway cruiser or a taxi.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Ether Frenzy posted:

Tell him that we said the car is so nice he should probably offer $6500 for it, $7000 tops.

I'm glad I re-read this like 7 times.

Ludicro posted:

would I be a moron

Ludicro posted:

used, 2 liter F30

Yes.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

SuperDucky posted:

I'm glad I re-read this like 7 times.

Yes.

You're going to have to explain this to me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CornHolio posted:

He's looking for a track car, so most of those things wouldn't really matter. Though he might get laughed at for the laundau top.

That's going to be a terrible loving track car. Find a not hosed with 318is or 325is and drive that

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's going to be a terrible loving track car. Find a not hosed with 318is or 325is and drive that

They don't show up local that often. That's the only one on CL right now. There are a few a couple hours away though.

He's also looking at some MR2s and stuff but he's a BMW guy and finding a decent E30 or E36 locally that isn't rusted to hell is nigh impossible.

Why would it be a terrible track car? The weight of the M30?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Ludicro posted:

You're going to have to explain this to me.

I'm saying that maintenance on a BMW chassis that's just now beginning to enter non-warranted status is almost assuredly going to be a crap shoot, definitely requiring expensive coding or a crash course in INPA, etc. I just can't fathom owning anything BMW, well, *any* vehicle I'd be doing any kind of maintenance on out of warranty, built after ~2011/2.

CornHolio posted:

Why would it be a terrible track car? The weight of the M30?
Have you ever driven a m30 powered e30? Its a hoot in a straight line but the m20 nearly throws the chassis off balance too much anyway. The m30, eh...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Cars that have been hosed with prior to you owning them are usually lousy track cars. You wanna drive a car on the track or spend your time fixing stupid poo poo?

If your friend is serious about finding a good track car, don't resign yourself to looking at what is merely nearby. Bonus if you can find something with a proper rollbar, seats and harnesses.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If he wants a terrible basket case, there's lots to choose from here:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=bmw+e30

and even after having it shipped sight-unseen to Indiana, he has $3000 to spend on hookers and coke for you, his devoted and dedicated E30-findin' friend.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

SuperDucky posted:

I'm saying that maintenance on a BMW chassis that's just now beginning to enter non-warranted status is almost assuredly going to be a crap shoot, definitely requiring expensive coding or a crash course in INPA, etc. I just can't fathom owning anything BMW, well, *any* vehicle I'd be doing any kind of maintenance on out of warranty, built after ~2011/2.

I see your point. Its worth mentioning though that I don't have any real experience in performing maintenance on cars so it would most likely be going into a garage somewhere. Also me getting a new car is at least 2 years away I believe so the F30 will be a bit older by that point. Honestly though if I had the space to do it I'd grab a cheap old E46 and use that as a way to learn how to work on cars, but I have nowhere to put another car.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

CornHolio posted:

Does he have any idea what goes into a decent track car? Because that car screams "will assfuck me when something breaks because of dumbass PO stupidity".

If he genuinely wants a track car, he should get something that has actually been tracked. When you track a car you usually have to work out all the lovely little niggles and other issues to keep it reliable. Just searching HPDE/track turned up a few random examples:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2234759-98-328is-HPDE-Prepped-Car $5500 e36 328is
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2233357-HPDE-ready-97-328IS-Cincinnati-OH $7500 328is that sold
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=378978 $5000 e30 325is that sold
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=372070 $9000 S50 e30 that has been up for awhile

Etc. As BraveUlysses said, he should look for something prepped. You would easily double the purchase price of a half decent e30/e36 runner trying to get it track ready. Seats, rollbar, harness, suspension, chassis reinforcements, cooling system fixes, extra set of wheels, and so on.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

Cars that have been hosed with prior to you owning them are usually lousy track cars. You wanna drive a car on the track or spend your time fixing stupid poo poo?

If your friend is serious about finding a good track car, don't resign yourself to looking at what is merely nearby. Bonus if you can find something with a proper rollbar, seats and harnesses.

Well I don't know that he wants 'good,' 'convenient' may be a better answer. He's been tracking his E90 and is waffling between keeping it and getting a dedicated track car, or getting a new WRX or Mustang GT instead. So he's seeing what's local for 'fun dedicated track car.'

If anybody can find a decent E30 or E36 in the midwest (preferably central IN) I'll point him in that direction. $5k seems to be the limit, though he was also looking at some pretty clean E36 M3s pushing ten grand, and a 350Z for even more than that, so it appears as though the budget is a bit flexible too...

Crustashio posted:

Does he have any idea what goes into a decent track car? Because that car screams "will assfuck me when something breaks because of dumbass PO stupidity".

If he genuinely wants a track car, he should get something that has actually been tracked. When you track a car you usually have to work out all the lovely little niggles and other issues to keep it reliable. Just searching HPDE/track turned up a few random examples:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2234759-98-328is-HPDE-Prepped-Car $5500 e36 328is
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2233357-HPDE-ready-97-328IS-Cincinnati-OH $7500 328is that sold
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=378978 $5000 e30 325is that sold
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=372070 $9000 S50 e30 that has been up for awhile

Etc. As BraveUlysses said, he should look for something prepped. You would easily double the purchase price of a half decent e30/e36 runner trying to get it track ready. Seats, rollbar, harness, suspension, chassis reinforcements, cooling system fixes, extra set of wheels, and so on.

This is some good stuff, I'll pass it on. I especially like that E36.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 23, 2016

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Crustashio posted:

If he genuinely wants a track car, he should get something that has actually been tracked.

This can't be emphasized enough. You can never build a track car more cheaply than you can buy a used one.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Welp, spent the $1500 for the pelican 'stage 3' suspension kit for my ix. :toot:

Now I just need the mechanic my friend recd to respond to my FB messages. :-/ Yessssssss

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 23, 2016

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Ludicro posted:

I see your point. Its worth mentioning though that I don't have any real experience in performing maintenance on cars so it would most likely be going into a garage somewhere. Also me getting a new car is at least 2 years away I believe so the F30 will be a bit older by that point. Honestly though if I had the space to do it I'd grab a cheap old E46 and use that as a way to learn how to work on cars, but I have nowhere to put another car.

I realize economic conditions of your average UK and US worker aren't really nominal right now but LOL at the notion of taking your average commuter BMW to a shop for standard maintenance.

atomic johnson
Dec 7, 2000

peeping-tom techie with x-ray eyes
Hey BMW thread, I just got a 2011 135i vert and it's got (ugh) runflats on it, on the 17" 142 wheels. I want to replace these with probably Pilot Sport A/S 3s, but I was looking at tire rack and the OEM tires are different between the base coupe and convertible - the coupe has 205/50R17 in the front and 225/45R17 in the back; the convertible has 205/50R17 all the way around.

Is this just a case of "oh those crazy Germans" or is there some technical reason the 225 width won't work right in the back? (My gut feeling is that some accountant in Munich said the convertible buyers don't care about performance so they can save three Euro a tire by putting narrower in the back.)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My friend is looking at this too. I'm a little concerned that it had a tuneup almost a year ago and since then nothing, and no mention of subframe reinforcements... but still, seems like a decent price despite the miles, no?

I have a soft spot for alpineweiss E36s, and that may be making me biased.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

atomic johnson posted:

Hey BMW thread, I just got a 2011 135i vert and it's got (ugh) runflats on it, on the 17" 142 wheels. I want to replace these with probably Pilot Sport A/S 3s, but I was looking at tire rack and the OEM tires are different between the base coupe and convertible - the coupe has 205/50R17 in the front and 225/45R17 in the back; the convertible has 205/50R17 all the way around.

Is this just a case of "oh those crazy Germans" or is there some technical reason the 225 width won't work right in the back? (My gut feeling is that some accountant in Munich said the convertible buyers don't care about performance so they can save three Euro a tire by putting narrower in the back.)

You need to look and see if you have staggered wheels (wider in the rear than front). It's fairly common to put half inch wider wheels in the rear. It should be stamped on the inside hub of the wheel or you can use a tape measure.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

atomic johnson posted:

I want to replace these with probably Pilot Sport A/S 3s,

Just purchased a set of A/S 3 plus tires to replace the original AS/3's I had, might want to make sure you don't get sold old stock. They seem very similar, just allegedly better snow performance. I got about 35k out of the first set. They got pretty noisy for the last 10k or so but I was otherwise very happy with them.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
Hey just chiming into the tread to say I own a 2009 BMW and don't own any tools or have a garage to work on it in. I've been taking it to local shops for little things and oil changes. Good news....I'm still alive and actually bought a beer tonight. Talk about discretionary income baby! Seriously though this car is a blast and I will gladly pay to have it maintained. That said a few small issues I live with bc screw paying a million dollars to have a rattle fixed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've been lazily shopping 135i's for a while now but after a really nice sounding e46 m3 drove past my house the other day I've started looking at those again too. It's pretty amazing to see $40k differences in list prices on the same car. Even 996TT's weren't that stupid. I'm also going to track down and murder every mother fucker that lists the SMG as a manual. This will apparently be incredibly time consuming so I may have to quit my job. Wish me luck.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I actually have a side hobby of calling dealerships that list a car as a manual when it's clearly an automatic and making them waste their time to go confirm that yes, their listing is incorrect.

I also call people on craigslist that list their BMW with a 'V6' asking what kind of an engine swap they did and what kind of documentation of said swap they have.

Yes I am a child.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fknlo posted:

I've been lazily shopping 135i's for a while now but after a really nice sounding e46 m3 drove past my house the other day I've started looking at those again too. It's pretty amazing to see $40k differences in list prices on the same car. Even 996TT's weren't that stupid. I'm also going to track down and murder every mother fucker that lists the SMG as a manual. This will apparently be incredibly time consuming so I may have to quit my job. Wish me luck.

That's a cause I would contribute to. And also dealer listings that list DCT as manual. gently caress that. Flappy paddles are not manual!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

I actually have a side hobby of calling dealerships that list a car as a manual when it's clearly an automatic and making them waste their time to go confirm that yes, their listing is incorrect.

I also call people on craigslist that list their BMW with a 'V6' asking what kind of an engine swap they did and what kind of documentation of said swap they have.

Yes I am a child.

:chanpop::chanpop::chanpop:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alarbus posted:

That's a cause I would contribute to. And also dealer listings that list DCT as manual. gently caress that. Flappy paddles are not manual!

It was definitely something I'd noticed in 135i listings, but nowhere near on the level of m3's. And it seems that at least 80% of the m3's I'm seeing are SMG. The rest are some combination of retarded price, super high miles, various degrees of clapped outness, etc...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Alarbus posted:

I think it just comes from the VIN. When I look up my car, it says "manuell"

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I think it just comes from the VIN. When I look up my car, it says "manuell"

Huh. If I run mine through bmwvin.com it says "MECH".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simble
May 11, 2004

Alarbus posted:

Huh. If I run mine through bmwvin.com it says "MECH".

That means manual.