Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Carnival of Shrews posted:

IIRC, although technically about spermaceti rather than actual whale jizz, that chapter is called 'A Squeeze of the Hand'.

There is no way that Melville could have done this by accident.

It's a whole scene of Ishmael loving the feeling of the sperm in his hands and playfully grabbing a bunch of other guy's' hands underneath all the sperm. The book is like 80% whale facts, 10% allegory, and 10% loving with us.

e:What a way to start a new page. For content, I remember Island of the Blue Dolphins being fairly terrible. But part of that might be it being a boring book that I was forced to read in at least 3 different grade levels. It really feels like it was written specifically to become a curriculum book, rather than happening to become one based off its reading level and popularity.

dirksteadfast has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Mar 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough
All the Melville talk reminded me of one of my favourite reviews of e-books available on Amazon (of course the book in question claims to be erotica, and of course it's intentionally terrible -- but it's also a CYOA, which makes all the difference in the world):

http://www.richardcobbett.com/codex/quick-trip-sextrap-dungeon/

Richard Cobbett posted:

Whichever of the three paths you take, that’s just Level 1 of the book over. There are four in total, with our hero staggering unproud but erect through such situations as getting horny at the circus, taking a trip to Heaven in the literal as well as figurative sense, reading an abridged version of Moby Dick instead of getting laid, and receiving blank stares at pick-up likes like “Girl, is that a spoon in my pants, ’cause I’m feeling a stir.”

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008
Probably gonna get poo poo for this, but I loving despise Faust, whatever format. It's often used as a major inspiration for anything about ambition and deals for power, but it's clearly about a guy who actually doesn't have any ambition and completely squanders his power. In all formats, he literally does nothing. I agree with Hannibal here, I root for Mephistopheles for having to deal with such a poo poo-heel for 24+ years, and have nothing but contempt for Faust. Fucker deserves to suffer for all eternity.

Books like Eragon/Twilight/50 Shades are godawful, but Faust, in all formats, is the only literature I flat out despise.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

IconicIronic posted:

Probably gonna get poo poo for this, but I loving despise Faust, whatever format. It's often used as a major inspiration for anything about ambition and deals for power, but it's clearly about a guy who actually doesn't have any ambition and completely squanders his power. In all formats, he literally does nothing. I agree with Hannibal here, I root for Mephistopheles for having to deal with such a poo poo-heel for 24+ years, and have nothing but contempt for Faust. Fucker deserves to suffer for all eternity.

Books like Eragon/Twilight/50 Shades are godawful, but Faust, in all formats, is the only literature I flat out despise.

9th grade is tough on all of us.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

[SPOILERS]

Endymion/The Rise Of Endymion by Dan Simmons. I loved the Hyperion books, so I thought these would be more of the same. Nope Just about 1,200 pages of a guy protecting Girl Jesus from the evil Space Catholic empire while being infuriatingly vague about her philosophy that is destined to unite humanity. When you finally read her sermon on the mount, you discover that her earth shattering lesson is "love each other."

The messiah, Aenea can see the future. In this way, she has no agency whatsoever. She just accepts everything that befalls her because she knows it's destined to happen. Any real person would be incredibly resentful and horrified by the fact that they in no way control their future. Not her, though. She's perfectly content with everything that happens to her, even her own gruesome death.

The really creepy is the fact that Endymion is 25 at the start of the book and Aenea is 10. For the first book, their relationship is almost purely platonic.The second book though. has a bit where Aenea is on the other side of the galaxy and Endymion has to ride an FTL ship to get there. Due to relativity, the trip takes a few months for him, but for her it was 9 years. Two things about that:

1) Endymion's memory of Aenea up to a few month's prior was that of a prepubescent girl. Then he shacks up with her almost immediately once she's legal and it's considered a beautiful thing.

2) Simmons uses relativity to make her 19 years old, But Endymion is already 30. What, would it have been horrifically unrealistic if he aged her up to 30? There's no way that a 30 year old man sleeping with a teenager isn't creepy as gently caress.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

[SPOILERS]

Endymion/The Rise Of Endymion by Dan Simmons. I loved the Hyperion books, so I thought these would be more of the same. Nope Just about 1,200 pages of a guy protecting Girl Jesus from the evil Space Catholic empire while being infuriatingly vague about her philosophy that is destined to unite humanity. When you finally read her sermon on the mount, you discover that her earth shattering lesson is "love each other."

The messiah, Aenea can see the future. In this way, she has no agency whatsoever. She just accepts everything that befalls her because she knows it's destined to happen. Any real person would be incredibly resentful and horrified by the fact that they in no way control their future. Not her, though. She's perfectly content with everything that happens to her, even her own gruesome death.

The really creepy is the fact that Endymion is 25 at the start of the book and Aenea is 10. For the first book, their relationship is almost purely platonic.The second book though. has a bit where Aenea is on the other side of the galaxy and Endymion has to ride an FTL ship to get there. Due to relativity, the trip takes a few months for him, but for her it was 9 years. Two things about that:

1) Endymion's memory of Aenea up to a few month's prior was that of a prepubescent girl. Then he shacks up with her almost immediately once she's legal and it's considered a beautiful thing.

2) Simmons uses relativity to make her 19 years old, But Endymion is already 30. What, would it have been horrifically unrealistic if he aged her up to 30? There's no way that a 30 year old man sleeping with a teenager isn't creepy as gently caress.

everything about Endymion is incredible in that Dan Simmons lost his loving mind at some point after Hyperion. I don’t even remember all the creepiness but I remember highlights including the entire desperate mission stopping for a far-too-long chapter at the end of the first book so the main character can pass a kidney stone, the Shrike going from a mysterious terrifying quasi-mythical figure of death that was only mostly ruined by Fall of Hyperion to Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator 2, and an incredible Dragon Ball Z battle where the main character… uses Aenea’s blood or something? to stop time and have a flying karate battle on a lake of lava (they’re moving so fast the lava cools when they touch it, I think) with the sexy twin lady robots that beat up the Shrike.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

grittyreboot posted:

[SPOILERS]

Well, how's he supposed to jerk off to scenes of himself-eh, I mean Endymion loving a 30 year old? That's gross, man.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

IconicIronic posted:

Congratulations, you have successfully deciphered the myth of Faust. You have gotten Kit Marlowe's Doctor Faustus. It is about a squandered life and how Christian virtue is greater than earthly vanities.

What you've missed, of course, that this what makes the story good and relevant. Might I recommend Todd MacFarlane's Spawn instead?

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 18:12 on Mar 23, 2016

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008
I wouldn't have a problem with it if it wasn't held up as a story of ambition and power. I agree with you that it is exactly about squandering life, but all the works that have been inspired by it, including the whole concept of a 'Faustian Bargain', don't touch on that. It's true that my distaste for it comes from study, where it's clear an alarming number of people hold it as a perfect story of ambition and power.

I guess it would be more accurate to say I only despise the character of Faust, and just find the story disappointing.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

IconicIronic posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it wasn't held up as a story of ambition and power. I agree with you that it is exactly about squandering life, but all the works that have been inspired by it, including the whole concept of a 'Faustian Bargain', don't touch on that. It's true that my distaste for it comes from study, where it's clear an alarming number of people hold it as a perfect story of ambition and power.

I guess it would be more accurate to say I only despise the character of Faust, and just find the story disappointing.

Dude he literally makes a deal with the devil to take his soul if he ever says "Let this moment stay, for it is perfect" (in the German Goethe version). It's all about ambition, because Faust believes he will never say those words as he always wants to do more.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

IconicIronic posted:

It is a perfect story about ambition and power (and how it's vanity, vanity of vanities). You should judge it by the actual text rather than what you thought it was supposed to be.

There are a lot of other stories about ambitious antiheroes where their climb to power is the main appeal. Like Richard III.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

dirksteadfast posted:

e:What a way to start a new page. For content, I remember Island of the Blue Dolphins being fairly terrible. But part of that might be it being a boring book that I was forced to read in at least 3 different grade levels. It really feels like it was written specifically to become a curriculum book, rather than happening to become one based off its reading level and popularity.

Oh man, chiming in 26 years later to say gently caress that book. I remember being in tears at how much I hated it, and my mom was like "It can't be that bad!"

Then she read some of it and was like "Oh. Yeah it's bad but write your book report."

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

IconicIronic posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goethe's Faust > Marlowe's Faustus.

I said it. I'll say it again if I have to.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I haven't read the entire thread, so I'm sure some of these have already popped up, but:

-Congo by Michael Crichton. The first novel I ever read that was so bad I couldn't finish.

-Left Behind series- Hovers between too awful to read and so bad it's good.

-Memnoch the Devil- Anne Rice's books got worse and worse over time but when the main character eats someone's tampon in an erotic way it's time to check out.

-The Naked Ape- Desmond Morris has actual academic credentials and I applaud the spirit in which this book was written. It was terribly wrong and stupid, though.

-Anything Paulo Coelho has written - again, pretty strong stomach for so-bad-it's-good, but there's a line.

-People have mentioned these, but David Eddings' novels. I liked the Belgariad as a kid and when I tried to start the next set of novels realized they were the same characters with different names.

-Anything written by a straight guy with lesbian characters.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Congo was awesome, surely you meant to write "Timeline" or "Rising Sun" there, right?

Man, for having a couple of fun hits, Crichton wrote a lot of abysmally stupid poo poo.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

Congo was awesome, surely you meant to write "Timeline" or "Rising Sun" there, right?

Man, for having a couple of fun hits, Crichton wrote a lot of abysmally stupid poo poo.

Oh, god, Timeline. Nah, definitely Congo; and I agree, I love Michael Crichton, but it's tough love.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Rising Sun: 50% kinda racist murder mystery, 50% discourse on how the Japanese will destroy us.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I have not read Rising Sun but this is a great write-up on the movie https://web.archive.org/web/20150726012421/http://thedissolve.com/features/forgotbusters/121-the-once-controversial-rising-sun/

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

One night I got drunk and ranted at a friend for like an hour about how godawful Rising Sun was. The next day on the news I saw Crichton had died, right around the timing of my rant. My critiques are fatal.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

One night I got drunk and ranted at a friend for like an hour about how godawful Rising Sun was. The next day on the news I saw Crichton had died, right around the timing of my rant. My critiques are fatal.

you did a good thing.

Christ I hate Crichton. My in-laws love the dumb bastard and hold him up as a reason why they don't believe in human-caused climate change, cause his books have graphs in them.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Goethe's Faust > Marlowe's Faustus.

I said it. I'll say it again if I have to.

Wow you're so brave for saying the obvious and correct thing.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

RNG posted:

-The Naked Ape- Desmond Morris has actual academic credentials and I applaud the spirit in which this book was written. It was terribly wrong and stupid, though.

I have a copy of his follow-up to this, The Naked Woman, and it's so :biotruths: that it makes me want to die. Everything is a gross Just-So Story about what makes some feature sexually appealing or not, with a lot of broad, skeevy assumptions about what "sexually appealing" even means. I still haven't gotten more than a chapter or two in reading normally; I just open to a random page, read a paragraph, and feel ill.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Antivehicular posted:

Everything is a gross Just-So Story about what makes some feature sexually appealing or not, with a lot of broad, skeevy assumptions about what "sexually appealing" even means.

Let me guess: poorly disguised pedophelia?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Let me guess: poorly disguised pedophelia?

ding ding ding

The one chapter I've managed to get all the way through, "Hair," has a lengthy section about how blonde hair is attractive because it makes a woman seem more like a child, but is also often unattractive because a lot of women dye their hair blonde, so it has connotations of being a LYING HUSSY? There is definitely an uncomfortable "dude sitting there masturbating and free-associating" feeling to it.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Men find lips attractive because they resemble an engorged vulva. I think I threw the book away at that point.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

RNG posted:

-People have mentioned these, but David Eddings' novels. I liked the Belgariad as a kid and when I tried to start the next set of novels realized they were the same characters with different names.

I have a huge nostalgic love for Eddings because it was the first real epic fantasy series I read (not counting Xanth) but I'll be the first to admit he's only really capable of writing about seven characters that he just reuses over and over. I can't help it though, I still read through the Belgariad/Malloreon and the Elenium/Tamuli, as well as Redemption of Althalus, at least once a year. It's my great guilty pleasure. :3:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

TheKennedys posted:

I have a huge nostalgic love for Eddings because it was the first real epic fantasy series I read (not counting Xanth) but I'll be the first to admit he's only really capable of writing about seven characters that he just reuses over and over. I can't help it though, I still read through the Belgariad/Malloreon and the Elenium/Tamuli, as well as Redemption of Althalus, at least once a year. It's my great guilty pleasure. :3:
If you want different characters and a different setting give Regina's Song a try. And then you'll understand the Belgariad/Malloreon is actually the height of his talent.

I can't even call the narrator a Mary Sue it's 100% of the author jerking off about how great a guy he is. It's weirdly creepy how he seems to have no romantic interests at all (aside from a very briefly mentioned girlfriend who he dumps because she wants him to get a real job and not just hang out in college collecting degrees) but is obsessed with an abused mentally childlike rape victim and feels most at home in an apartment where he's ordered around by three women who will have a large black man beat him up and throw him out if he violates their rules. The end of it has the main cast protecting a serial killer from the evil cop that wants to arrest her. It's actually quite amusing how every single friend of his reacts like this:
'X is the killer!'
'Oh really? Poor girl. Better help her out'
Instead of you know being mildly concerned that someone that tortures people to death is in their midst.

Sorry I could go on for about 1,000 more words. It's insane how horribly written that book is. I almost wish I hadn't thrown my copy away because every once and awhile I think back on it and assume I must be remembering wrong because nothing could be that bad.........but I'm kinda sure it was. Just read the Belgariad and feel ok that it's a perfectly fine young adult fantasy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that bugged me about Timeline was that it seemed like he kept forgetting it wasn't actually time travel.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

RNG posted:

Men find lips attractive because they resemble an engorged vulva. I think I threw the book away at that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvBnP9t0gTg

muscles like this? posted:

The thing that bugged me about Timeline was that it seemed like he kept forgetting it wasn't actually time travel.

It was probably a better movie, but that isn't saying much, since it was a pretty :mediocre: movie.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My favourite terrible book is The Fall of Lucifer, book one in the Chronicles of Brothers series. I bought it because I'm a sucker for stories about angels (not lovely inspirational poo poo, actual awesome angels) and my God, it's awful. Everything is just so overwritten. They're insanely popular and I honestly don't really understand it.

It's hard to pick out passages that convey the full, dragging weight of Wendy Alec's prose but I will try:

quote:

Lucifer stood, an imperial figure. His monstrous black war chariot, riding on the shafts of thunderbolts, the huge silver wheels sprung with the sharpest war blades, was pulled by eight of his finest dark-winged stallions, their manes intertwined with platinum, caparisoned as for war, glistening black as the night.

And then, for a fleeting moment, the sun's rays broke through, the clouds dissipated, and Gabriel could see Lucifer's lips moving incoherently with the incantations of the damned. Gabriel did not turn to him, but saw his stallions' shadows on the clouds as the war chariot thundered past, the crimson emblem of the infernal flame on hell's flag flying proudly.

He passed so close that Gabriel's white mare trembled and snorted at the putrid reek of his satanic wizardry. Gabriel turned his head from the damning presence.

quote:

Lucifer hesitated, mystified. He frowned. "...not the code for angelic DNA."

His palm ran like quicksilver over the angelic writings...a look of horror crossed his face. "It's His genetic code!"

He turned the page, his hand trembling. He watched the animated hologram, ashen-faced, as an almost exact female replica was surgically cloned from the male Homo sapiens prototype. Sharing the same DNA.

The hologram zoomed in on a fertilized egg. Lucifer watched incredulously as the image progressed from an egg to a foetus to a baby.

He looked up, dazed. "It's going to replicate!" he muttered feverishly. "He's duplicating His gene... in matter!" He ran his hand distractedly through his hair. "Th--they'll be immortal... intelligent... cognizant."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"The putrid reek of his satanic wizardry" is a phrase I'm going to have to steal. How do you write that, read it, and figure you did a good job at anything?

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

grittyreboot posted:

[SPOILERS]

I had actually forgotten that part, because the main thing I remembered her talking about was the stuff about the TechnoCore having a lot more different factions than anybody thought. So her big sermon that has been lead up to through the whole book, where she's finally going to come out and say the momentous, universe-changing stuff she was born to say, turned out to be about the technicalities of robot politics.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Antivehicular posted:

"The putrid reek of his satanic wizardry" is a phrase I'm going to have to steal. How do you write that, read it, and figure you did a good job at anything?
Nobody does Satanic wizardry like Lucifer. He really is the best Satanist.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Darkhold posted:

Nobody does Satanic wizardry like Lucifer. He really is the best Satanist.

If anyone is, he's the satanest satanist.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

RNG posted:

I haven't read the entire thread, so I'm sure some of these have already popped up, but:

-Congo by Michael Crichton. The first novel I ever read that was so bad I couldn't finish.

Congo's the only Crichton book I've read, and what annoyed most about it was how in the midst of the story, there was a part that started off with something like "After they got back to America" (or something, been 20 years since I've read it). Basically, he just told the readers who had survived this ordeal, destroying any sense of suspense.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hey it's Good Friday! So I went back into the book, and I found the bit where Satan enters the garden of Eden to tempt the humans to fall. Yeah her theology is pretty wack but I don't mind that in itself. I just mind her writing. I should note that he only turned into a snake to sneak in, he turned back into a hot dude in order to talk to Eve.

quote:

Eve blinked, her thoughts in disarray. "But Yehovah said that if we eat of its fruit, we shall surely die."

"You shall not surely die. Indeed, in the day that you eat of it your eyes shall be opened, and you shall be filled with wisdom and multiple discernments, just like a god."

Eve stared at Lucifer, transfixed. "Why-- I should like to be as a god..." she whispered, with an unfamiliar glint in her eyes.

He raised the fruit to his mouth. "You shall be even as I am." He took a large bite and swallowed. Then he smiled his old magnificent smile and passed the fruit to her.

She raised it to her lips and caressed it avariciously. She bit deeply into it... greedily. The juice gushed down her chin.

I didn't add those ellipses. They were there in the text. Here's a bit of the great flood. Such imagery! In this book she blends magic and high technology to give you angels who use iPads, basically.

quote:

Michael and his warriors surrounded the ark like a shield as the great waves of muddy water jettisoned high above Earth, hurling up asteroids. The violent floodwaters unleashed their boiling frenzy upon all those on the Earth-- men, women, and the Nephilim desperate to escape its wrath.

quote:

The angelic host waited on the ocean waves astride their huge stallions, silently watching the ark for signs of life. The great vessel had suffered tremendous external damage.

Jether and Xacheriel also watched, stony-faced, from the portal of the universes, intent on the door of the ark. Xacheriel put his head in his hands. "The whole race..." he muttered. "An entire race... wiped out." Dry sobs racked his ancient frame. The body scanner pulsar showed no reading.

A sombre Jether placed his hand gently on Xacheriel's shoulder, restraining his own tears. He watched the ark silently.

Xacheriel raised his head, dazed. "The calculations were meticulous," he mumbled.

He turned to Jether, who stood at the portal, open-mouthed in astonishment as he stared at the vast, flaming rainbow that covered the firmament directly over the ark.

Xacheriel followed his gaze. Then he swung around to the body scanner. It was pulsing. The pulsing grew stronger. He started to chortle euphorically. "Rakkon, get me the pulsar matter scans!"

And then Jether laughed-- a loud, deep, joyous laugh that would not be stopped. "Yehovah!"

chortled euphorically

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

It's even worse than that because the characters keep insisting its not actual time travel while completely ignoring that literally none of the plot makes any kind of sense if it's not.

Davros1 posted:

Congo's the only Crichton book I've read, and what annoyed most about it was how in the midst of the story, there was a part that started off with something like "After they got back to America" (or something, been 20 years since I've read it). Basically, he just told the readers who had survived this ordeal, destroying any sense of suspense.

The worst part of Congo is at the very beginning where they see the video feed of the apes and surmise that somehow it's a mutated pinball video game leaking into their digital footage, because obviously that's how computers work.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I really want to like the Cassandra Kresnov books by Joel Shepherd. I do. They've got a bunch of ingredients of poo poo I love: cyborg cops, political intrigue, lots of action, and those things are aside the abundant female characters and diverse setting.

And yet, Shepherd is really, REALLY good at stretching what could be a 20 minute episode of a show into 300+ page novels. This guy is loving WORDY. About some soul crushingly boring poo poo. Yeah bro, I get you came up with an entire political system for your planet but, man, get on with it. He loves sentence fragments to, that's always great. And starting sentences with and. Over and over and over and over. Great job with the diverse, multicultural setting! Too bad you made a bizarre point to make your protagonist the only white person in the entire cast??? Oh, and he loves talking about how straight she is. She's so straight. Nope, she'll never, ever get with a woman, but she looooves bangin' dudes. There are pages devoted to talking about how much she loves to gently caress. And (see what I did there) that's basically her entire personality. She shoots guys and fucks. Just...JUST. SHEPHERD WHY.

In the third book she finally gets a steady boyfriend and he's a boring jerk who does nothing but Clever Quip. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

TheKennedys posted:

The Elenium was the first non-Tolkien fantasy I got into as a teen and paved the way for my general love of all things terrible and sword-y, but on a whim I started rereading the Diamond Throne the other day and got two chapters in before putting it down, my god is it disappointing.

Mostly I couldn't get over how many times I was told that on a rainy night the streets were wet. Yeah dude I know. It's raining. Oh are they wet? The wet cobbles are wet? Good to know

I'm gonna keep at it and see if it gets any better.