Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I love this show, but I think they better end it next season. With the age of pirates coming to an end with captains being lost, the whole thing being burnt down.

Sort of like how Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch dealt with the last hurrah of the age of bank robbers on horseback moving into a modern age.

It might already get a bit long at 4 seasons, and they will run out of story otherwise I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Meowbot posted:

I made it a few episodes into this show and then completely fell off (like episode 9 or something) but keep hearing rumblings of it. How much better has the show got since season 1? I remember the art titties guy or whatever and that was good and the characters were enjoyable but then it got kind of stale ... has the show picked up steam and is really super good now? I don't hear about it from anyone but I see the news articles about the show and it seems that critics like the season so farf?

Second half of season two is when this show becomes tits.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Immortan posted:

Second half of season two is when this show becomes tits.

Hopefully it does not become fruit.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Kesper North posted:

Hopefully it does not become fruit.

That was in the first half.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

meristem posted:

I think it would be nice if Max ditched Nassau and started calling herself Mary Read for this final season, though.

Isn't it pretty obvious that the Island Princess is going to be her?

Anyway, I'll be hugely disappointed if Blackbeard doesn't stomp all over everything Guthrie holds dear and the writers let eleanor off the hook again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

savinhill posted:

Isn't it pretty obvious that the Island Princess is going to be her?

Anyway, I'll be hugely disappointed if Blackbeard doesn't stomp all over everything Guthrie holds dear and the writers let eleanor off the hook again.

Island Princess is going to be Silver's wife. And I'm kinda hoping that Max dies in the next episode because she is boring and now is unimportant as well.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Island Princess is going to be Silver's wife. And I'm kinda hoping that Max dies in the next episode because she is boring and now is unimportant as well.

Max has never been important and is annoying as a character because she way over-inflates her importance and power on Nassau. Also her French accent is hard to listen to. Every time she's in a scene I cringe because I'll have to hear her next long monologue talking about unimportant poo poo like how she thinks she has power over someone or something she really doesn't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They keep talking about what hold Max has over "the streets" (man have they overused that phrase lately) and everything now but we never saw it happen, and we never see what effect it has.

What we've actually seen is just a worse Eleanor.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We can all see Max's influence over "the streets" in that absolutely everyone was bummed out over Vane's death even though she publicly endorsed Eleanor. The one hooker with the bigger boobs and the beauty mark actually has more street sway than her since she's helping Billy, and he's, you know, swaying the streets.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
RIP Mister Gates

RIP Randall

RIP Vane

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was able to handle her the first season, but since it has been awful. The pacing of speech is like something out of a high school play. I am sure she is fine actress, but as Max, I think she is miscast (also the writing is to blame). I groan every time she is on screen now.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

nate fisher posted:

I was able to handle her the first season, but since it has been awful. The pacing of speech is like something out of a high school play. I am sure she is fine actress, but as Max, I think she is miscast (also the writing is to blame). I groan every time she is on screen now.

She speaks in a fairly monotone manner. I guess it's her attempt at sounding serious and resolute, but it just flatly moves along whenever she has especially long monologues.

I really did not see Vane's death coming. Who is going to fill that "voice so gravelly it sounds like he gargled with broken glass" quota on the show, now?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mouse Dresser posted:

She speaks in a fairly monotone manner. I guess it's her attempt at sounding serious and resolute, but it just flatly moves along whenever she has especially long monologues.

I really did not see Vane's death coming. Who is going to fill that "voice so gravelly it sounds like he gargled with broken glass" quota on the show, now?

Vane will be a ghost companion that only Jack can see! They will fake Jack's death and go from colony to colony righting wrongs and solving mysteries to help Charles earn his wings and get into pirate heaven. And some of our old friends could show up along the way! Can you see Eleanor Guthrie as a hobbled shoe maker trying to get by in Charlestown? Or how about Max now working as a speech and etiquette teacher in St. Augustine? Well stay tuned for the all new series Jack Sails!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If someone talked to me in the voice max does I would just laugh at them. It's not natural at all.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

If someone talked to me in the voice max does I would just laugh at them. It's not natural at all.

I would be like "What?" "WHAAT???" so many times I'd end up with Vane tossing me overboard.

Speaking of: I'm predicting Blackbeard breaks out a beautifully shot and composed brutal keelhauling for Ellie Guthrie for the season finale.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 25, 2016

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Fuuuuck. Guess we have to wait a year to watch Eleanor get murdered

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I'm pretty happy. It was heavy on foreshadowing (what if we're gonna be enemies?/gently caress Flint, write in Silver), and definitely felt like a midpart of a longer series, but Anne finally fighting on a ship? Yes.

Also, after my previous rant about writing Rodgers out of a crucial decision, I loved the Rodgers-Eleanor scene.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Jesus Christ, now that is how you do a finale!

When does the show come back?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

richardfun posted:

Jesus Christ, now that is how you do a finale!

When does the show come back?

Next January, same as always.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holy hell, that blew even the finale of season 1 out of the water. Especially that stinger, Long John Silver. So excited for the next season. :allears:

I guess Vane had to go to make room for Stevenson being a regular.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 26, 2016

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Great episode but way less got resolved than I'd hoped. So next season basically has to start immediately after this episode ends right? I mean Spain was still threatening to invade the island within like, a few days' time?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Yeah, was kinda thinking they were gonna resolve a lot more and just go out in a total frenzy of mayhem (if Teach decided to just head straight for and have revenge on Nassau, that prolly would have happened), but as it is they chose to go the longer-distance route that very heavily now alludes to us getting close to the start of Treasure Island. And I guess I can see the point in going at it that way. Heck, the opening frame of Flint burying the treasure just made me oddly giddy and lol at Jack and Flint laughing at suddenly Silver being the only trustworthy enough not to betray for money. Also huge props to the actor playing Dobbs (guy who tricked Hornigold). He did a terrific job, I felt. As does that one dude, that first showed up trying to sex Anne in Season 2 and has now returned as, in Billy's words, one of the best purveyors of bullshit. Can't wait to see him in the next season too, along with Featherstone ofc.

Though yea, gonna have to wait a bit longer for the world to finally catch up to Eleanor lol. Dammit Rogers, I get where you're coming from, but as the Commodore said in Ep. 8 you really shouldn't put that much of your...*trust*...in her.

Overall, I gotta say I'd heartily recommend Season 3 to anyone that's interested in all the possible ways of being a leader. The conversations lend themselves so much to this topic. Even Billy's final account, of Blackbeard's way being that of madness, of Rackham's way being that of generosity with one's riches, of Flint's way being one of a tyrant and only Silver's way being that of a King among men is a pretty terrific cap on that discussion.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 27, 2016

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Is the coat in the treasure chest?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

nooneofconsequence posted:

Is the coat in the treasure chest?

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if it is! I didn't see Flint wearing it in this last ep, much to my dissapointment. :(

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that episode was pretty badass

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Thought going into this episode we would get a stealth Mary Read reveal as one of the British soldiers. Maybe next season.

Love the build of the Long John Silver legend. It's been a great slow burner.

Also really happy that Blackbeard is apparently sticking around. Was wondering if they were going to have him taken out this episode.

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 27, 2016

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbCQgFUZ_q0

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Flint and Silver camp fire story time was epic.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
We spent so much of this season watching a n o t h e r Eleanor romance, we can see that they spent money filming a sex scene with Monotone Max, and all we get for John Silver and the Princess is "Hey, you could be a lot worse kid!"

I'm going to have to go write a fan fic or something...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I'm sure that will come in time if Treasure Island is to be believed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

gently caress history, kill 'me all.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
So next season it's going to be Flint vs. Silver.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Best moment from an amazing finale:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

PaybackJack posted:

Best moment from an amazing finale:

That was pretty good, but for me it's gonna have to be Clara Paget calling out shots from her new ship. Anne Bonny :swoon:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i would've liked this season more if a considerable part of it wasn't following eleanor's journey in riding another dick for protection

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Everyone has their talents, I suppose.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Mans posted:

i would've liked this season more if a considerable part of it wasn't following eleanor's journey in riding another dick for protection

It'll be forgiven if the next season opens with Rodger's bossdoggin' Eleanor from behind.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
That was one of the most satisfying finales I've seen in a long time.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Can definitely see why Silver is referred to as the only man Flint's ever feared in Treasure Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Silver gonna make a fortune selling hushpuppies to Nassau.

• Locked thread