Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The latest official date was late February/March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Lichtenstein posted:

Falling Sky stealth-delayed to late April. :negative:

The ADP reprint got pushed back too :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
But Liberty or Death got re-P500'd! To "gauge interest in a reprint".

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tekopo posted:

FoF2 stealth delayed to the heat death of the universe.

What about FoF1 reprint?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The General posted:

What about FoF1 reprint?

It's marked as July, along with 1846. Still on track.

Falling Sky/Cube Libre were "April" last month, so "late April" isn't much of a change.

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
I've been really wanting to try out a wargame for the first time for a while now and was wondering if the solitaire games listed in the OP are still good suggestions? I could probably find someone to play with eventually but I just wanted to get something I could work on myself to get a feel for it. I recently played a little bit of Steel Panthers: World at War on the PC and have been enjoying it. I was looking for something WW2 themed and probably the European theater. The Victory Point stuff looks like it'd be a great start. Some titles that have stood out to me so far from browsing boardgamegeek are The Barbarossa Campaign, D-Day at Omaha Beach, and maybe the Nuts! one. Also those submarine games listed in the OP seem to have great reviews. I'm definitely looking for something with the classic hex and counters type play. Also not costing a huge amount would be a plus as well. Anyway if anyone has some suggestions I'd really appreciate it!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Duo posted:

I've been really wanting to try out a wargame for the first time for a while now and was wondering if the solitaire games listed in the OP are still good suggestions? I could probably find someone to play with eventually but I just wanted to get something I could work on myself to get a feel for it. I recently played a little bit of Steel Panthers: World at War on the PC and have been enjoying it. I was looking for something WW2 themed and probably the European theater. The Victory Point stuff looks like it'd be a great start. Some titles that have stood out to me so far from browsing boardgamegeek are The Barbarossa Campaign, D-Day at Omaha Beach, and maybe the Nuts! one. Also those submarine games listed in the OP seem to have great reviews. I'm definitely looking for something with the classic hex and counters type play. Also not costing a huge amount would be a plus as well. Anyway if anyone has some suggestions I'd really appreciate it!

The Victory Point State of Siege games are nothing like classic hex and counter wargames. They are dice-driven games where you try to delay your inevitable defeat for as long as possible (but always less than 15 minutes!). Not much strategic depth, but they're fun, quick, and filled with historical detail.

The Field Commander series are closer to hex and counter wargames, but still quite different. They are highly satisfying solitaire games with some strategic and tactical depth and the highest quality components you can find in this hobby.

Conflict of Heroes seems to be exactly what you're looking for, and I've read that the solitaire system is pretty good, but that's a $30-$40 expansion to the base game.

Duo
Aug 4, 2002

CaptainRightful posted:

The Victory Point State of Siege games are nothing like classic hex and counter wargames. They are dice-driven games where you try to delay your inevitable defeat for as long as possible (but always less than 15 minutes!). Not much strategic depth, but they're fun, quick, and filled with historical detail.

The Field Commander series are closer to hex and counter wargames, but still quite different. They are highly satisfying solitaire games with some strategic and tactical depth and the highest quality components you can find in this hobby.

Conflict of Heroes seems to be exactly what you're looking for, and I've read that the solitaire system is pretty good, but that's a $30-$40 expansion to the base game.

Yeah I probably shouldn't have been so strict in my post since I'm new to these. I'm willing to try just about anything. The Field Commander series do look nice and Conflict of Heroes looks absolutely amazing from what I'm reading so far, plus it can be played with others too so I may just have to plop down the money for one of them!

Duo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 18, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The D-Day at _______ games are fantastic, in my opinion. They're hex-and-counter wargames, but have really intriguing solitaire rules.

Another option would be to get Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! and its solitaire expansion. I've heard AWESOME things about that, to the point that I'm wanting to re-buy COH:ATB.

ANOTHER option is to buy Lock N Load Tactical: Heroes of Normandy. Besides being my favorite tactical game, Lock N Load has licensed out the Conflict of Heroes solo system and is coming out with a solitaire expansion of their own in a few months.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So I was talking to Phil Eklund through email about a replacement part (he was really cool about it by the way) -- and at the end of his last message he dropped this:

quote:

Also watch for Pax Renaissance, Pax Pamir Expansion (Khyber Knives), and Bios Genesis, all available for preorder June 1, and published October 2016

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Cole said that the Pamir expansion was going to include some (all?) cards with special abilities not covered by the standard ones.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Duo posted:

The Barbarossa Campaign is apparently pretty good but good luck finding a copy, I've been searching for one myself with difficulty.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
You're welcome

hope u like flipping over a million tiny counters every turn

(it's a good game)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Morholt posted:

You're welcome

hope u like flipping over a million tiny counters every turn

(it's a good game)
Huh, only a hundred 1/2" chits. It seems like a lot more when they're totally loving up your glorious nazi lebensraum and sending you crying back to der fuhrer because they soviets aren't approaching Berlin, they're closing on Paris.

I'm exaggerating, but it's brutal. Bring a pair of tweezers with a blob of blu-tac on the end, you'll need them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

chrisoya posted:

Huh, only a hundred 1/2" chits. It seems like a lot more when they're totally loving up your glorious nazi lebensraum and sending you crying back to der fuhrer because they soviets aren't approaching Berlin, they're closing on Paris.

I'm exaggerating, but it's brutal. Bring a pair of tweezers with a blob of blu-tac on the end, you'll need them.

Most of the chits in that game could be replaced with pennies. In fact they specifically mention that as a solution if you run out(basically infantry units just mark off the front line).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I'm doing an LP/walkthrough of a game of Titan in case anyone's interested in following along.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769151

As I'm playing the port (TitanHD on the iPad) I've crosspost this notice to the grognards videogame thread once as well.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Despite you all telling me not to do it, bought Tabletop Simulator in a sale. If anyone wants to play, I'm game.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

JcDent posted:

Despite you all telling me not to do it, bought Tabletop Simulator in a sale. If anyone wants to play, I'm game.

Does it enforce game rules at all or is it literally just a 3d model?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

CaptainRightful posted:

The latter.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Athaboros posted:

The latter.

I'm not very bright.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CaptainRightful posted:

But wouldn't you prefer the ability to add ~~houserules~~ ?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh my god there's a game that Marco doesn't like, and it's Pandemic Legacy :stare:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

golden bubble posted:

But wouldn't you prefer the ability to add ~~houserules~~ ?

I'm currently enjoying the novelty of copypasting Conscrips and flicking Marines around the table.

The recreation of Space Crusade is terrifying in scope and as vision to the days when Genestealers had better armor than Marines

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

COOL CORN posted:

Oh my god there's a game that Marco doesn't like, and it's Pandemic Legacy :stare:

what why explain

it is not

i don't even

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

what why explain

it is not

i don't even

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKXG1gw_72M

Basically, legacy games have an opportunity to tell a great story, but this one falls short of the mark and could have been so much better, and all the gameplay changes could have just been an expansion to Pandemic instead of a standalone game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I played two games of Plan Orange and half a game of EotS (in which I made an epic gently caress up later in the game, but that's another story). We didn't play Plan Orange completely correctly in either of the two games, but the game itself is pretty weird. I kinda like it, but the game relies on rolling well in combat to a much greater extent than in EotS, and the tactical choices are more limited because of how crappy the air force is. I think it works as a simulation though. I need to get more games through it to fully explore it, however.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Working on a computer version of B-17: Queen of the Skies at the moment, inspired by the port of Patton's Best, which is a similar flowcharty solo game. Going to have a pretty retro art style, I've been working on some assets today.

B-17

Messerschmidt BF-109

Focke-Wulf FW-190

I can't get in legal trouble for porting a 35 year old out of print board game, right? :v:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
It doesn't matter. If you do, I think I heard Donald Trump saying something about covering all your legal fees. So you're pretty much good to go.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

Working on a computer version of B-17: Queen of the Skies at the moment, inspired by the port of Patton's Best, which is a similar flowcharty solo game. Going to have a pretty retro art style, I've been working on some assets today.

B-17

Messerschmidt BF-109

Focke-Wulf FW-190

I can't get in legal trouble for porting a 35 year old out of print board game, right? :v:

Looks nice!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

B-17

Messerschmidt BF-109

Focke-Wulf FW-190

The 109's wings should be straight. :sperg:

The leading edge.

Also, make the slats visible because :c00lbert:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Maybe the 109 should have some yellow on the tip or something?

I played loving Chapter Master and SS13. I'd play your game.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
My TS copy finally arrived and I'm very much looking forward to a few solo rounds to learn the rules before the wife and I break it out this weekend.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Anyone else who's off tomorrow and wants to do some VASSAL COIN? I'm down for whateva~

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Would if I could, really want to try LoD, but I'm gonna be away.

I really want to give OCS a proper go. Really want to try out Reluctant Enemies for real and see what I can make of it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

On another note, I am making a (now more serious) revamp of the OP, as such, I've created a Sub-Categories section that handles specific series of games. Currently I only have OCS and COIN.

Can you please let me know:

1. What I should add/remove from the currently existing categories
2. What new subcategories should I add? (SCS? Dunno much about it. ASL?)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Sekigahara should probably go in block games. Maybe Space Empires 4X in multiplayer (or solitaire ... set it up last night after a long time, amazing how much you forget. At least the rules are good.)

I guess you could make an ASL category but it doesn't really fit as it's one game plus the SKs. Beginner:SK1-3, Intermediate: Beyond Valor, Advanced: your bank account ?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Anyone else who's off tomorrow and wants to do some VASSAL COIN? I'm down for whateva~

I'd be willing to do LoD again, since our last game I've run through a few solo games and feel a lot more comfortable with it now.

That being said, I have to work tomorrow.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

*starts screaming, screaming gets louder and louder*