Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

JJ's style of editing in this film is literally "blink and you'll miss it". The other thing is that the Rebel base geographically could fit in on Maz's planet no problem. This isn't true with Yavin IV, as the previous planets were either deserts or mechanical.

Yeah I agree with both these things, although I still really loved the visuals and had a ton of memorable shots bouncing around in my head after my first viewing.

I did somehow totally miss the convoy shot to D'Qar during my first viewing but clearly caught it the second time. Not really sure why I glossed over it the first time, maybe I thought it was more reinforcements arriving, or general "preparing for the attack" imagery or something. I do think the bigger issue was "not a super distinct location", I don't think there was a problem with the transition shot in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

net cafe scandal posted:

Easy to follow, sure, but not at all memorable.

There's nothing to really say in response to this, other than it was memorable to me. Sorry it didn't work for you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Easy to follow, sure, but not at all memorable.

This is subjective. I don't think the whole movie was memorable but it was really close.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Let's get some Snoke gifs in here.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This is subjective.

Cant argue with that.

All I can tell you guys is that much of the last third of the movie, and many of the spaceship dogfights besides the first Millenium Falcon chase, didn't stick with me at all despite them being incredibly loving cool when viewed outside of context.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Let's get some Snoke gifs in here.

Would like to throw in a request for the shot of the first face off between Kylo and Finn/Rey. Probably one of my favorite shots in the movie, where Kylo is on the left and they're on the right side of the screen. It's really simple, but I really like the composition and colors of the shot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's so dense, every ray of light is laden with meaning.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

wyoming posted:

As you said, fast editing. Everything that happens is obfuscated, for effect.
https://zippy.gfycat.com/TinyFluffyAmurstarfish.webm

As a millennial, the original appeals to me.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

The Cantina scenes are absolutely loaded with everything I listed there, but it all gets handwaved with "doesn't dwell on anything long enough for me" or "the decrepit old alien built a 100 foot stone statue to worship herself", it's just strange.

You've been saying this for a long time, "oh boy you guys, I sure would show you all the cool stuff in the cantina if I could." Movie's out now, right? Let's see what was so great about the cantina.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Friendly Factory posted:

It's pretty decent. It's just lacking in any themes, complexity, art or good writing. Yeah, pretty decent I'd wager.

It does have those things. Some of them are done pretty well, some are done pretty poorly. Overall it amounts to a product that is simply average. If you're a huge studio like Disney, with all the money and talent they have at their disposal, it isn't that difficult to make a decent movie. Most of Disney's output is pretty decent. They're pretty good at making slickly-produced movies that appeal to large audiences. That's why they are where they are in the industry.

TFA is not an abomination, it's just a disappointment. It's on par with the first Pirates of the Caribbean for me, which is a movie that I quite enjoy. TFA and PotC are actually very similar in that they're both highly derivative of A New Hope, fairly shallow thematically, but held aloft by quick pacing and likable characters.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

I can't believe how sick this looks relative to how relevant it actually was to anything going on.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am sure we all have scenes that we wish the camera dwelled on a few seconds longer, but this is really a matter of personal preference and is not that important to the overall movie. Too many people in this thread are throwing around matter of fact statements and not understanding that they are not facts at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ferrinus posted:

I can't believe how sick this looks relative to how relevant it actually was to anything going on.

I like how the shockwave nukes the ships before the planet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

How was it not relevant? Finn warned vaguely that there is a lot at stake with the threat from the First Order, then we finally get to see what that threat actually is, what the characters have to lose if they fail. This sequence builds up a lot of tension and is really well done.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

ILM is very good at their job.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

homullus posted:

You've been saying this for a long time, "oh boy you guys, I sure would show you all the cool stuff in the cantina if I could." Movie's out now, right? Let's see what was so great about the cantina.
Submitted: Half-Fonzie/Half-Morpheus

Just try to deny that it's not one of the more original alien designs since the original Cantina scene.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Has anyone calculated the average shot length for TFA yet? I'd be curious to know what it is in comparison to the OT and PT.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love the production values on the catina scene, all of those aliens are real; either people in costumes or puppets.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's really not important and is just splitting hairs to hate on the movie. It's reminding me of the current shitstorm of people thrashing Man of Steel/BvS (which I am seeing Sunday -- so maybe people are right? doubt it).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

I said come in! posted:

How was it not relevant? Finn warned vaguely that there is a lot at stake with the threat from the First Order, then we finally get to see what that threat actually is, what the characters have to lose if they fail. This sequence builds up a lot of tension and is really well done.

Galactic politics and fleet numbers had pretty much nothing to do with the personal dramas that drove the movie and we don't really get to see what the Republic stands for or whatever. I'm pretty sure there's even an Abrams quote floating around that's like "yeah the actual space battle stuff was pretty secondary to Rey's duel".

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Galactic politics and fleet numbers had pretty much nothing to do with the personal dramas that drove the movie and we don't really get to see what the Republic stands for or whatever. I'm pretty sure there's even an Abrams quote floating around that's like "yeah the actual space battle stuff was pretty secondary to Rey's duel".

Why do we need that stuff? The movie was about BB-8, Rey, and Finn and what is at stake for them if the First Order wins. Showing the destruction of the Republic still directly effects them and shows the magnitude of what they are up against. I'm glad nothing about the Republic was shown, it would have served no purpose.

There is obviously a lot going on in the background while these characters are doing their thing. We don't see it and that is fine. People are getting hung up on wanting to see that stuff and thinking that somehow makes a weaker movie, but it doesn't at all.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Why do we need that stuff? The movie was about BB-8, Rey, and Finn and what is at stake for them if the First Order wins. Showing the destruction of the Republic still directly effects them and shows the magnitude of what they are up against. I'm glad nothing about the Republic was shown, it would have served no purpose.

It doesn't really matter that the Republic was destroyed when none of our characters have anything to do with the Republic. It wasn't even the case that like, the planet that Rey's family had moved to was in the crosshairs for the second time starkiller base was charging up or something.

I'm not even on board with your use of "up against" here, because it's not like Rey and Finn are celestial bodies. The magnitude of the Death Star But Loud is basically irrelevant to their interests.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

It doesn't really matter that the Republic was destroyed when none of our characters have anything to do with the Republic. It wasn't even the case that like, the planet that Rey's family had moved to was in the crosshairs for the second time starkiller base was charging up or something.

I'm not even on board with your use of "up against" here, because it's not like Rey and Finn are celestial bodies. The magnitude of the Death Star But Loud is basically irrelevant to their interests.

Why is it not relevant? Rey was kidnapped and taken to Starkiller base, Finn realizes he has no where to run and has to stop that base, and BB-8 wants to help protect the resistance.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

homullus posted:

I went through a pair in good detail a while ago, I promise that it will be the first scene I cover once the blu-ray is out. Been a few months since I last saw the film, and I'd rather not halfass it (and use purdy pictures)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

homullus posted:

The movie is only out via :filez: so far. It's not out for purchase until next month.

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” Just Leaked Online

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Why is it not relevant? Rey was kidnapped and taken to Starkiller base, Finn realizes he has no where to run and has to stop that base, and BB-8 wants to help protect the resistance.

Its cataclysmic powers of insane epic solar system destruction are not relevant. It's just a place they happen to have to go to. Hence my initial complaint about the disconnect between the awesome obliterating force of the star killer's primary weapon system, and the almost total irrelevance of that awesome obliterating force to anything our characters do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Its cataclysmic powers of insane epic solar system destruction are not relevant. It's just a place they happen to have to go to. Hence my initial complaint about the disconnect between the awesome obliterating force of the star killer's primary weapon system, and the almost total irrelevance of that awesome obliterating force to anything our characters do.

That complaint doesn't make any sense.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I said come in! posted:

That complaint doesn't make any sense.

The least important or compelling element of the new Star Wars, the most extraneous element of its plot, and therefore the biggest waste of screentime, was the actual star war.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Because Hosnian Prime doesn't mean anything to either the audience or the characters. Yes, of course it's a bad thing that a bunch of people died, but the execution is cheap and lazy. It's not hard to write "Death Star blows up planet and a bunch of people die." The hard part is doing the work to show what exactly the tragedy means to the characters, on a personal level.

I don't think TFA does that. Hosnian Prime isn't even mentioned in the film until immediately before it's destroyed. It's a plot device. It's a storytelling shortcut. No one actually cares about Hosnian Prime, and TFA doesn't even bother to pretend that anyone does.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

The least important or compelling element of the new Star Wars, the most extraneous element of its plot, and therefore the biggest waste of screentime, was the actual star war.

Everyone the characters know will die if the Starkiller base is not destroyed, that is incredibly relevant.

Cnut the Great posted:

The hard part is doing the work to show what exactly the tragedy means to the characters, on a personal level.

That was shown though.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

It doesn't really matter that the Republic was destroyed when none of our characters have anything to do with the Republic.

The problem people have with this the core choice of not having the main characters follow the Republic when the other 6 movies had the heroes fighting for the Republic. We also don't see what the nature or threat of the First order is when all we know is that they have a Death Star and Kylo's Star Destroyer. It's a worldbuilding shortage. Someone else mentioned how there's no "dissolved the Imperial Senate" scene and I agree that it needed one.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 24, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Baron Porkface posted:

The problem people have with this the core choice of not having the main characters follow the Republic when the other 6 movies had the heroes fighting for the Republic. We also don't see what the nature or threat of the First order is when all we know is that they have a Death Star and Kylo's Star Destroyer. It's a worldbuilding shortage. Someone else mentioned how there's no "dissolved the Imperial Senate" scene and I agree taht it needed one.

Again, this is really all coming down to personal preference. What you personally would have liked to have seen. What we actually got was still really well done and shown.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I said come in! posted:

That would have happened regardless of where they took Rey.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

But they took Rey to Starkiller base, therefore the relevance.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Schwarzwald posted:

Yep, the overarching narrative of "Find Luke, and stop the First Order from finding Luke" would not have changed one iota if the First Order base was anywhere else.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I said come in! posted:

But they took Rey to Starkiller base, therefore the relevance.

Exactly. Starkiller base is relevant because that's where they took Rey--not because what it can do or what it represents.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I said come in! posted:

What we actually got was still really well done and shown.

There's more to a Star Wars Movie than the basic plot and it's accompanying visuals. They are part of a larger whole, and even if TFA was a good standalone movie it didn't have the sense of scale and intrigue that made the Star Wars setting more resonant than, say, the Starchaser setting.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Everyone the characters know will die if the Starkiller base is not destroyed, that is incredibly relevant.

That's not even true. Like, let's pretend the Resistance forces failed to destroy the base. What would have happened? Well, Rey would've gotten to actually kill Kyle. And then she and her friends could've just left.

Finn didn't even bullshit his way onto the mission because he was convinced starkiller base had to be destroyed! It was just his best excuse to reunite with, and save, his friend Rey. And Han was there for his son. Our only link to the space battle was the annoying pilot guy who should've died in the first ten minutes of the movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ferrinus posted:

That's not even true. Like, let's pretend the Resistance forces failed to destroy the base. What would have happened?

Rip R2, Leia, Friend Besto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I went through a pair in good detail a while ago, I promise that it will be the first scene I cover once the blu-ray is out. Been a few months since I last saw the film, and I'd rather not halfass it (and use purdy pictures)

Sounds fair to me! I am not really worried about the prop and costume design work in TFA; I thought that work was the brightest star in its constellation. I am looking forward to seeing what people come up with for what Takodana is even doing in the film, though -- the film's second act was the least good part (crossing into Actually Bad), and may as well have been a bunch of people standing around saying "Star Wars? Star Wars."

• Locked thread