Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

if your approach is that the hearts are things to grind on the way to the real content, you probably won't enjoy the rest of the game, so it's lucky you got out early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hearts are honestly better content than the personal story at least 70% of the time.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Getting into MMOs because of a flashy first impression is the path to disappointment. You have to already be a broken person looking for their next gutter to settle into for the cycle to continue.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

RYang posted:

Next are the wind bridges. The first has a gust of wind blowing straight toward you at the end which doesn't stay deactivated long enough to get past it. The solution seems to be to run headfirst into it several times, being knocked backward and making only incremental progress each time, until you finally make it.

also: dodge

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

CLAM DOWN posted:

Source your quotes

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I like the "friend" who decided to troll you by taking you to one of the more difficult/lovely jumping puzzles in the game. Also don't grind on hearts people, even if that post is nothing more than a quote from reddit it can gently caress up the perception of newcomers.

Hearts were made to ease people into the game who were super used to quests from older shittier mmos. Nothing new to the game has hearts in it anymore. Yeah some of them are fun, but most aren't. You gain exp by doing everything in the game. Explored a new area? Exp. Found a point of interest? Exp! Do some crafting, find a waypoint, kill some lovely monsters, send arus butter, it all gets you exp.

Also the starter zone dumps you in an instance with other dudes. You took so long to notice a giant green icon on your map that other playera beat the starting zone boss dude. Who is a huge gently caress off golem tornado that yes you actually get to fight.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

send arus butter

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
It's a really bad idea to start off a new player with jumping puzzles. It takes a little adjustment before you get comfortable with the game's "physics", and tackling them right away means lots of frustration.

On another note, the dangers of running guild missions with a birb.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

CLAM DOWN posted:

Source your quotes
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=110481

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I also had a friend that stopped giving a crap after 5 minutes of killing the intro golems without realizing he could skip them.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I also had a friend that stopped giving a crap after 5 minutes of killing the intro golems without realizing he could skip them.

That's hilarious.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
I feel like the real lesson here is "friends don't let friends play Asura".

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Seems like an awful lot of new players trip over hurdles of their own making. :( Personally, when I started as a brand new clueless player I just pushed my way through the respawning enemies in the intro. When in the open world, I did some hearts but mainly focused on exploration. It went great, never had an issue like that.

That "new player experience" they added ages ago didn't help much with this, did it?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

RYang posted:

I made a goblin because it seemed like the race most likely to let me wear actual clothes.

Yes, "goblin." I too have played wow at one point.

Want to wear clothes? Pick a goblin man. The plants wear bark, the wear cats fur and the humans wear their pride. But clothes? No dude if you wanna pants n jacket you gotta roll imp.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

In fairness the asura basically are goblins of the lowest social standing

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jan posted:

jumping puzzle wheel

I need this in my life.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Schpyder posted:

Hearts are honestly better content than the personal story at least 70% of the time.

What you dont like fast travelling back to lions arch fifteen times after talking to one guy for half a second? pshhhh

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I don't think there's a single person who loves jumping puzzles that didn't at one point say "I hate jumping puzzles".

Some are easier, some are harder, some are slipperier, some are stickier.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
I started playing this game because of my girlfriend and after a week I was bored then I joined GOON and that made the game so much better.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

In fairness the asura basically are goblins of the lowest social standing

They're actually super intelligent, curious inventors. I'd rank them up there with the lord of the rings elves.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Visidan posted:

They're actually super intelligent, curious inventors. I'd rank them up there with the lord of the rings elves.

I bet if they had the One ring, they would wear it on that little tail bump.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Lonk posted:

I bet if they had the One ring, they would wear it on that little tail bump.

I know I would.

Hey so is there a spot for tonight's beginners raid group?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sprite141 posted:

I know I would.

Hey so is there a spot for tonight's beginners raid group?

Yes. 9pm ET. Official promotions to the Raid 2 team will start this week. If our chronotank can make it, , tonight will also be tank training day.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Well, SFD got every upgrade. Level 64 is a weird number to end on unless you're a 90's gamer and only they know

Naked dude crystal

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So we.....beat the game?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Time for star citizen

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

So we.....beat the game?

Not until we get to the top of the Guild Challenger ladder and win the next season of ESL.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Hearts at least give a chunk of bonus experience and a clear thing to do, going from the nice leveling world full of hearts to the horrible maze jungle of death where there are seemingly no hearts has made everything now just feel massively grindy.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

foolish_fool posted:

Hearts at least give a chunk of bonus experience and a clear thing to do, going from the nice leveling world full of hearts to the horrible maze jungle of death where there are seemingly no hearts has made everything now just feel massively grindy.

Are you in the HoT zones while <80? Does it upscale you?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

AnacondaHL posted:

I don't think there's a single person who loves jumping puzzles that didn't at one point say "I hate jumping puzzles".

Some are easier, some are harder, some are slipperier, some are stickier.

i like jumping puzzles because a lot of them provide views of areas that one might never see, because they don't count for map completion

although, i am annoyed that the 3 identical jumping puzzles in the old wvw borderlands are currently unavailable because i'd like to get those achievements

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

ItBurns posted:

Are you in the HoT zones while <80? Does it upscale you?

Nah I meant the jungle feels really grindy at 80, when you are still having to grind all this mega experience to be able to unlock the stuff that lets you get around. Whereas I got to 80 by going from heart to heart, plus a bit of crafting.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Hearts are awful and I'm glad they're gone in level 80 zones (excluding FGS) I'm not saying the new maps are perfect, but not having hearts is a plus side to them. I would like something thats a mix between cursed shore and one of the new style of maps, or maybe both, not in the same zone, just released with the same expansion.

Sometimes you just wanna fart around doing events as you find them, but that works better in places like queensdale where you're helping out the odd construction foreman or moa farmer, versus dick deep in enemy territory trying not to get eviscerated by raptors

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I was hoping somewhere like Dragon's Stand would be this super dangerous no-go zone with some really rewarding stuff deeper in, which was gated purely by difficulty. So if you've got the skill, or the group (or both) you can go find some cool poo poo at the end I guess but everything's really hard and when I move my guy around in that really hard area I think "yep, im pro"

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

Visidan posted:

actually shes a 1000 yr old demon trapped in the body of a goblin

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Dreggon posted:

I was hoping somewhere like Dragon's Stand would be this super dangerous no-go zone with some really rewarding stuff deeper in, which was gated purely by difficulty. So if you've got the skill, or the group (or both) you can go find some cool poo poo at the end I guess but everything's really hard and when I move my guy around in that really hard area I think "yep, im pro"

Well Orr was kinda like this at launch. Sans the really rewarding aspect.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I could see an underworld or mists related zone where its super huge and the further you get from the safezone the harder it gets, but you'd have to have a really small cap on players or else youd just have a massive zerg wiping everything out and scooping up tons of loot

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the idea from that fake leaked design notes thing of a zone where once you venture out of the entrance zone you're alone except for those you've partied with and the stuff gets better the deeper you go was really good and a-net would be stupid to not try and implement something like that

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I could see an underworld or mists related zone where its super huge and the further you get from the safezone the harder it gets, but you'd have to have a really small cap on players or else youd just have a massive zerg wiping everything out and scooping up tons of loot

How's 5 to 10 players sound? Seems like the combat is mostly balanced around 5 at most but a few more could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
10 players works, and ime it's not until you're getting up to 20+ that things get terribly stupid. Most lanes in TD wind up with 15-20 players and it's not too bad of a clusterfuck

• Locked thread