Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Daztek posted:

Who else is excited for today's AtV???
I hope it brings plentiful gifs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

1500 posted:

Well you did call the mods shills.

Yes. They certainly proved me wrong.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Planet coaster does look amazing. I have been watching people play on twitch (currently only sandbox mode is playable).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:eyepop:

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

This guy is so close.

I can tell you why, buddy. Because it's years into the project and they haven't nailed down their flight model or ship pipeline. The reason they said it'd have two flight modes is because someone in dreamland thought they could, until the abomination they've made of CryEngine took a look at the concept and began pulling some Exorcist poo poo. Now they're backpedaling with their usual handwaving because they think people will buy it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

orcinus posted:

You take that back, mister!

'bout time we had a proper cat fight in this thread. :colbert:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6496259/#Comment_6496259

$10,000+ backer

warms the dead gay cockles of my heart.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I wonder if that MoMA dude's eyes have been slightly opened by all the transparent facts in this thread.

It's pretty hard to argue with anything G0RF, AP, XK, SomethingJones, EightAce or pgabz (and so many other awesome contributors!) put out.

Especially reading the transcripts directly from his Supreme Leader. They don't particularly inspire the slightest confidence in anything he says...

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

I can't help but feel the whole Roman Empire vibe would be improved if it was more a Byzantine thing. You know, Earth's fallen and the Empire rallied around Spacestantinople a few decades back, but now we have Space Belisarius here to lead us on a glorious (futile?) charge back to Mother Earth, generally cock-slapping aliens all the way down to an epic confrontation around Earth and I've just written the plot of Homeworld, haven't I?

Oh well. I like the idea of cruising through the old battlefields of the Western Space Empire's last stand, dodging alien cruisers while trying to re-open supply routes back to Spacestantinople as you've been surrounded and besieged for the last mission or so.

peter gabriel posted:

I am buying Bandicam as we speak, is this for the best?

It's worked well enough for my crappy videos, it also seems to poo poo out slightly smaller files than FRAPS did.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
The interesting thing (for ED owners anyway) about Planet Coaster, is that its created using the Cobra Engine. So there is a number of tech that FD have done in Planet Coaster that could be moved over to ED. Also FD staff move from project to project, so the things they learn while working on Planet Coaster could be transfered to work done on ED (like animations, crowd effect, building tools).

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

Maybe he doesn't try to verbally engage with them? Mine was a field rescue, and he was quiet at first, but after teasing it out of him he now tries to talk with me to the point that I sometimes have to close him out of a room just so I can talk on the phone. Cats don't naturally try to communicate vocally, they only do so when engaged to. Cats in the wild are very rarely vocal, usually only to their parents while kittens. Cats as pets speak to their owners because as pets they are basically treated as perpetual children.

Also, recent legitimate research into trying to decipher what cats are trying to say has determined that it's completely based upon the relationship between the cat and it's owner. The scientific finding was that only the cat and its owner can know what's being expressed, the language is unique between them.

Both him and his wife verbally engage them all the time.

But i think it's the fact there's 6 of them.
It's a pack (or pride), not a single cat.

They sometimes make silly little sounds, but rarely and usually when annoyed.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I am surprised I am not hyped more for this as I was a hardcore Rollercoaster Tycoon junkie for long stretches but maybe I'm just not in the mood lately and I'll jump on the Planet Coaster train later.

Looks like what Rollercoaster Tycoon 10 might be if that series kept iterating which is pretty great.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 24, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

1500 posted:

The interesting thing (for ED owners anyway) about Planet Coaster, is that its created using the Cobra Engine. So there is a number of tech that FD have done in Planet Coaster that could be moved over to ED. Also FD staff move from project to project, so the things they learn while working on Planet Coaster could be transfered to work done on ED (like animations, crowd effect, building tools).

Space rollercoasters confirmed

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Dante80 posted:

This. The stick does not have a roll feature, but the pedals more than compensate for that if you go full simsperg. The hardware looks ugly but is rugged and indestructible (its made from the same polymer CH use for their industrial control solutions). The software is the sweetest thing.
I think you mean "yaw" :)

Also the stick uses a different mechanism to translate pitch and roll that can feel weird to some people especially near the center and the throttle has a linear throw instead of the typical curve so it's not like you're moving it up and down a little hill.

And all their stuff is definitely super durable. A common refrain I see is that you'll probably never have to replace them unless USB goes away forever.

And most HOTAS products have fake military looking crap on them to look "cool" and all it does is scream "you have no idea what mil hardware looks like" so the CH style is OK by me.

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

Sadly, a comment right above that is completely devoid of any awareness.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GabrielMobius posted:

Fixed and issue where we lied about what a ship would be by shitcanning the info from the site.

Backer status: Subdued

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

GabrielMobius posted:

yes but wing commander outranks high commander so its a net win :colbert:

fake edit: also a strong follow-up!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Space Skeleton posted:

I am surprised I am not hyped more for this as I was a hardcore Rollercoaster Tycoon junkie for long stretches but maybe I'm just not in the mood lately and I'll jump on the Planet Coaster train later.

Looks like what Rollercoaster Tycoon 10 might be if that series kept going which is pretty great.

There is no need to get hyped now, this thing is scheduled for release in the end of the year. It is looking very hopeful though (or, at least more hopeful than the state RCTW currently is).

1500 posted:

Can confirm that one the senior ED sound designers was moved to Planet Coaster. And it really shows (when hearing the game sounds). The game may flop, but the sound design will be stellar.

And that loving theme song. Too catchy.

Ash1138 posted:

I think you mean "yaw" :)

Of course (oops!).

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D1E posted:

I wonder if that MoMA dude's eyes have been slightly opened by all the transparent facts in this thread.

It's pretty hard to argue with anything G0RF, AP, XK, SomethingJones, EightAce or pgabz (and so many other awesome contributors!) put out.

Especially reading the transcripts directly from his Supreme Leader. They don't particularly inspire the slightest confidence in anything he says...

I registered here after lurking because I'm approaching SC with an open mind (and an investment - you know, just in case). I stated this from the beginning: I'm on these forums, SC, etc....
I also mentioned that I had no opinion on the EightAce piece except that I'll wait 4 weeks to see what pans-out.

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 17, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Derpy, but purdy.

Argh, this thread is killing my productivity.
Back to work.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OVeUxfjuM

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

D1E posted:

You see, it's all elaborate sock puppets! (someone has to make a combo of :smug: and :tinfoil: )

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I'm not watching this, can anyone else confirm that it is an hour of nothing?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Yes

E: I have not watched it either

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Goobs posted:

My fave post is the shitizen saying how he loves cig and he uses his disability cheques on star citizen ships....then you look under his avatar and he's on probation. The love isn't returned.

Ironic, as my being in that exact same boat for an extended period is a big part of my vitriol regarding this mess. These idiots have wasted so many *individual sums* which, if I had access to, I could change my life with. Money can go to entertainment, of course, but at a certain point it doesn't matter how much you've got, putting it into something more worthwhile is the only responsible option.

To boot, they're hell-bent on defending the man who debased them from all criticism, like that's how public dialogue works. Not fishy at all. They introduced the entire thing, and how did anyone expect the game to be fair to the $45 players? "Please give us thousands for a ship in a videogame (that doesnt exist yet, etc)" should have been fishy from the start. And so, knowing that the game starts on such a concept, you still spent how much?

Anyone who hasn't cashed out or made a profit should literally feel overwhelming shame. Not just for being fooled, but for your contribution to this sham having continued this long. Money is a real thing that you should not waste so readily.

There's a lot here that goes past my initial "eh, a fool and his money, who cares" into "this is really morally corrupt, and people should know. People should be warned, and woken up."

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
no art sneak peak lol.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

You've all missed the highlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OVeUxfjuM&t=348s

Play, then keep hitting "1" on the keyboard.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

no art sneak peak lol.

Ben hasn't flown the Xian Scout yet.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Daztek posted:

Yes

E: I have not watched it either

You do not watch ATV. You use the youtube thumbnail to skim through until you find something that does not have a talking face in it. You watch it for the two minutes it takes (out of an hour of footage), and then wait for someone to quote something hilarious from a transcript.

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine
I have never watched one of these things before but is that Sandi cardboard standee new? Also it makes the whole thing come off as a super cheap 'acting' portfolio pad.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

@2:33 They've released the flyable John Scott.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

orcinus posted:

Derpy, but purdy.

Argh, this thread is killing my productivity.
Back to work.

I'm off to a meeting myself, but here's both my ladies. Since we're talking about pretty cats.

My white girl is about the prettiest cat there is. Both of my cattes have littermates who've gone on to be prize winning champion show cattes. They're very fancy cattes.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Fay Am Wim Woom Wem Wool Ships To Fly

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
THIS QUOTE TAKEN WHOLESALE FROM HERE : http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6899616/#Comment_6899616 Which was linked by another goon a few pages back, sorry forgot who it was.

Why did you bring up Smart? No one was talking about him, no one cares about his games. Why are you so insistent on comparing SC to such bad games? Do you expect SC to be just as bad? Why are you so obsessed with Smart?

You nailed it in your question... They're obsessed. He's their ultimate go-to scape-goat for everything. He is the answer to every and any problem that arises, or will arise, with SC. They can't not bring him up, even when the subject has absolutely zero to do with DS.

The position of SC fans is this crazy paradox when it comes to Smart.
On one hand, they say Smart's a know-nothing, has-been developer who doesn't know what he's talking about, etc.
Until some bad news crops up with SC. Then suddenly, the SC faithful somehow find a way to attribute it to Derek.

Hell, I've read articles about SC where Smart isn't even *mentioned*, nor even referred to. Somehow, within the first 2 or 3 comments, people are bringing his name up to dismiss the entire article anyway.

They are absolutely obsessed with the guy.

Here's something else to consider.

Both LoD and SC are described, by their respective developers, to be in Alpha stage at this point.

Yet, ever notice how, when you point out problems in SC - a game with a budget of over 100 million in backer funding, a huge team, spread across multiple offices encompassing multiple companies... they'll immediately argue "It's Alpha! It's not finished yet! Of course there's going to be bugs! Be patient!" Doesn't matter how big the problem may be... simply saying "It's Alpha!" explains away everything.

Yet, let those same people see even a *slight* bug or glitch in LoD - a game developed by a far smaller team (IIRC, no more than 23 people at most at one point), and self-funded (no backers, no investors, no time-limited sales of jpeg ships) on a small fraction of the budget, and suddenly, saying "it's Alpha" doesn't matter. Those same people will say "No. That doesn't excuse it. There's no excuse why this game is still in this condition".

Go look at any of a number of YT vids where people are playing SC and running into some crazy bugs. SC fans will immediately fall all over themselves trying to excuse it away, in some cases, blaming the poster for it. And, of course, it's almost guaranteed some of them are going to invariably bring up Derek Smart.

The hypocrisy, the double-standards, the spin, the deflections, the denial, the cognitive dissonance, the sheer nonsense that comes from many of the SC faithful is amazing to witness.

Another case in point, if there's one thing you could never accuse Derek of being, it's shy with his opinions, or not saying exactly what he thinks, loudly, un-apologetically, and typically, at length. Derek has explained his whole deal with SC numerous times, in articles, in blogs, in interviews, etc. He's explained *exactly* what his issues are with SC, and *exactly* what bothers him about it, and *exactly* what he's wanted to see from the start. He's stated it, re-stated it and then stated it again.

But, will you ever hear any of his *actual* position accurately represented by any of the SC fans? Nope. Not even close. I don't even think most of them know what his actual position is. They're too busy making up their own version of it to be bothered. Intellectual honesty doesn't seem very important to many of them.

If you are at all interested in hearing Derek's take on this, and you genuinely and honestly want to know, then go hear it from Derek himself. Don't go on what the SC fans tell you. Anything they tell you, just ignore it. Don't listen to it. Whether you're on one side, the other side, completely neutral, or just purely curious... if you want to know the actual reasons, go to the source.

Someone earlier in the suggested, or asked, if should everything come crashing down with SC, will they all blame Derek for it. That one's easy... Of course they will. 100% guaranteed. Count on it. And all the while, they'll be simultaneously calling him a know-nothing, nobody, has-been who doesn't know what he's talking about... but was somehow responsible for destroying a game he didn't have even a single line of code in.

I'm now going to sit here and see how long it takes for someone to accuse me of being Derek Smart on a fake account. That's another thing. So open are the minds of many SC fans, and so developed are their critical thinking skills, that if you so much as post anything that isn't bashing DS, you are automatically accused of being him. It's happened to me 5 times now across various sites, etc. All because someone said something about DS or LoD, and *dared* to say 'Umm.. no that's not correct. This is how it is".

An amazing slice of humanity those SC fans, I'll tell ya.

Someone needs to get this guy an account on here if he hasn't already got one.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Is them calling Squadron 42 "a cinematic singleplayer adventure" the norm or is this them changing what it is subtly?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

runsamok posted:

My white girl

You got dat white girl? I got the bud, lets get a bottle n match!

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 24, 2016

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

https://youtu.be/y2OVeUxfjuM?t=409

Ben you dodged a bullet.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Omg this ATV is so cringe worthy. Ben says Sandi is a better actress than her cut-out. Awkward silence.

e: damnit sedisp.

GabrielMobius
Mar 22, 2016

everything is fine

Goobs posted:

Is them calling Squadron 42 "a cinematic singleplayer adventure" the norm or is this them changing what it is subtly?

I think it's the latter. When I threw money into the inferno that is this game two years ago, I remember the pitch on SQ42 being that it was big and open while being mission driven. I think the cinematic thing is very new, and you're right in that it's them trying to subtly change things.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

not the one that's slowly building up in his cardiac arteries, though, sadly.

hard to lose weight when this bitch whos probably chomping adderall is offering you pizza and donuts daily

• Locked thread