Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
braixen is definitely not top tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

IronicDongz posted:

definitely strong though, combos well with frogadier, broomdash can't be grabbed and is very quick, field phase is really good

a good braixen will require you to cdac if you want to win more than a few times

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Dosvidanya posted:

Is there a recording option in training mode? I can't seem to find it if there is.
I couldn't find it either. Really disappointing. There's a ton of moves I wanted to try to lab to figure out how to beat them, but the training mode doesn't seem set up to let you use it like that.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

may contain peanuts posted:

I couldn't find it either. Really disappointing. There's a ton of moves I wanted to try to lab to figure out how to beat them, but the training mode doesn't seem set up to let you use it like that.

its super disappointing that there's no record feature for training, yeah

hop in the discord later today (4pm eastern) and i'd be down for helping you test stuff

offer extends to anyone in the thread really, as long as you're cool with me recording it!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Is there a pokken discord? I didn't one listed in the OP

I can't join at that time (I get off of work at 4 pm est), but yeah I too am frustrated that I can't easily figure out punishes in this games training mode. I hope if this game gets dlc, they add in that function later. Or at least they put in framedata somewhere.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 24, 2016

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Rafza posted:

its super disappointing that there's no record feature for training, yeah

hop in the discord later today (4pm eastern) and i'd be down for helping you test stuff

offer extends to anyone in the thread really, as long as you're cool with me recording it!
I guess the two main things I wanted to check out both had to do with Gardevoir. I played against the character for the first time ever in my first match of the tournament last Saturday. I figured out in field mode, when she jumped and threw petals, I could tag her with Chandelure 5Y as she was landing. I don't know if that's a punish or if my opponent just wasn't blocking, though. The other was in duel mode she had some sort of air beam that I wasn't sure how to challenge, I guess it must have been her j.A.

I don't usually get home until like 6pm eastern but I'll def be in the discord when I do. I bought the Wii U literally yesterday and had to spend more time than I wanted downloading updates instead of playing, wanna make up for that tonight.

Ventana posted:

Is there a pokken discord? I didn't one listed in the OP
I found it on page 3. I agree it should be in the OP.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I'll PM OP to see if they can add the discord info to the first post, also i'm typically in the discord all the time but tonight at about 6:30 pm eastern i've got a pokken tournament so i won't be on much tonight

Worst case scenario you can hit me up tomorrow afternoon or over the weekend, i'll be playing it all weekend

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

IronicDongz posted:

Shut your mouth

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
I played an online match against a Braxien that ran away and slammed fire shots in field phase for the whole two matches. Braxien is god tier

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Spintzel posted:

I played an online match against a Braxien that ran away and slammed fire shots in field phase for the whole two matches. Braxien is god tier

Chandelure and Suicune can counterspam, Suicune can make an ice wall, Pikachu, Weavile, and Blazeken can easily run around them, Machamp can just power through them, and Gengar can just shadow punch her from across the map.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Spintzel posted:

I'm gonna learn Braxien

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

I'm gonna learn Braxien

i'll pm you this video of me playing vs my competitive player buddy, his braixen is super solid, i think i only got him twice out of 11 fights, but i'm still learning how to play properly and not mash out brave bird

it'll be uploaded tonight

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Any Machamp players know how to work Scary Face in? I keep getting punished when I use it online.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

Any Machamp players know how to work Scary Face in? I keep getting punished when I use it online.

I've had some success doing it after a counterattack, but mostly on accident. I think holding a after the counter attack lands then releasing after it finishes works.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I put the Discord link into the OP. sorry for not seeing it earlier.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

SilverSupernova posted:

Chandelure and Suicune can counterspam, Suicune can make an ice wall, Pikachu, Weavile, and Blazeken can easily run around them, Machamp can just power through them, and Gengar can just shadow punch her from across the map.

That assumes the braixen is predictable.
I have met some online who place delays in between attacks, attack with varying projectiles and back up when they predict a guard.

The fact of the matter is that Chandeulre is a mostly even matchup at field and duel, suicune can be baited, and machamp/gengar have to struggle because despite that they have tools they are predictable and punishable should they be called out.

I agree that speed characters are her worst problem, but that just goes back to what I said pages ago - I think speed characters are all astoundingly good and counter just about anything.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Is there a reason to use regular grab if you have a command grab? Is it a frame data thing or does it work in situations where the command grab doesn't?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Reiley posted:

Is there a reason to use regular grab if you have a command grab? Is it a frame data thing or does it work in situations where the command grab doesn't?

It seems like command grabs are a little slower than regular grabs, so regular grabs can work as punishes where a command grab would be too slow. However there's no frame data available for the game yet (afaik), so I'm just going off of what it seems like to me. It's most obvious with Machamp's buffed command grab, when buffed the armour frames at the beginning seem to override the actual throw, so he can be thrown out of his own throw. Had that happen to me a few times.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 24, 2016

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Reiley posted:

Not sure about other characters but Machamp's command grab is slower to start up. If you want to initiate a phase change you would want to use regular grab but that's about all I can think of. Maybe mixing up the grab animations if the opponent starts to react to your command grabs?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Spintzel posted:

that was me

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

2MB posted:

Not sure about other characters but Machamp's command grab is slower to start up. If you want to initiate a phase change you would want to use regular grab but that's about all I can think of. Maybe mixing up the grab animations if the opponent starts to react to your command grabs?

Pika's Nuzzle phase changes as well and you can combo into it, its on >A and I've just used it so much I realized I couldn't tell you what Pika's field-mode standard grab animation is. If its faster it sounds like normal grab would be a better Triangle response to (???) command counters.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

What the hell is with the netcode in this game? I just tried to play 4 ranked matches, and all 4 of them were the laggiest connection I've ever played, followed by disconnects before the first round ended. I lost gold for one of them!

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Can anyone help me with learning Gengar?
-What is his gameplan? To get in, to zone, or to play whatever the opponent isnt?
-What is the point to the fade in his strong combo, should i be trying to challenge moves with its invuln?
-What should I be doing during field phase?

As someone who plays machamp/charizard/chandelure I typically have characters with a single thesis of "Get the hell in" or "Zone like crazy".
I could use some help finding out what the hell Gengar actually wants.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

What the hell is with the netcode in this game? I just tried to play 4 ranked matches, and all 4 of them were the laggiest connection I've ever played, followed by disconnects before the first round ended. I lost gold for one of them!

The issue might be on your end or possibly you just had really bad luck and got stuck in matches against 4 people with bad connections, because most everyone else has had very little problem with the netcode.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

The Gorp posted:

Can anyone help me with learning Gengar?
-What is his gameplan? To get in, to zone, or to play whatever the opponent isnt?
-What is the point to the fade in his strong combo, should i be trying to challenge moves with its invuln?
-What should I be doing during field phase?

As someone who plays machamp/charizard/chandelure I typically have characters with a single thesis of "Get the hell in" or "Zone like crazy".
I could use some help finding out what the hell Gengar actually wants.

Gengar's a versitile and unpredictable one. One of his biggest deals is that his Mega gauge builds up the slowest, but his mega form completely changes his playstyle and lasts the longest of any fighter.
In field, his projectiles are slow, which is useful for keepaway. I'd say his best ranged options are his air projectile, and his regular a attack. His back a (Shadow Punch) can hit the enemy from anywhere in the arena and is really helpful for catching others off guard.

In Duel phase, you can keep up this strategy (minus the aerial projectile bit) and use his Up A charged to plant a stationary shadow ball. His down A is also really helpful when they get close, but this also deals a little damage to Gengar so use it with caution.

Also his command grab (Hypnosis) can combo into his regular grab in normal form and into his mega attack in Mega form.

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 25, 2016

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Are you on wifi? If yes, I have some bad news.......

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

One interesting thing about Gengar is that his homing attack ducks under ranged attacks that don't specifically hit the ground. This can be helpful against very spam heavy opponents.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Also worth noting with Gengar is that his super is a huge AOE command grab as well, you will undoubtedly catch a lot of people with it.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Emalde posted:

pokkensingleplayer.jpg

Oh god there's another league after red?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Night Blade posted:

Iron is the last one.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Night Blade posted:

two. chroma, then iron.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I'm actually winning some online matches tonight!! I guess that's what happens when you start actually learning what buttons do certain attacks and then using them strategically on purpose!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

I played like 20+ matches today, featuring people from like Texas and California and even a dude from Canada, and aside from 2 connections and 1 rage quitter everything was fine here.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I live in Alaska and i've played with people from all over the USA, as well as people from Mexico and Japan. out of 150~ or so matches, 4 of them were laggy and not very fun.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I've fought a guy as far away as Norway and the connection was fine, and I fought a guy that lived in my own tiny province in Canada and it was awful. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's the individual ISPs at fault.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Ventana posted:

I played like 20+ matches today, featuring people from like Texas and California and even a dude from Canada, and aside from 2 connections and 1 rage quitter everything was fine here.
I can't even play Massachusetts to New York in this game. RIP

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Do you have a USB Ethernet adapter? When I couldn't connect in Splatoon this fixed my problem. They're super cheap at Staples.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

Do you have a USB Ethernet adapter? When I couldn't connect in Splatoon this fixed my problem. They're super cheap at Staples.
Didn't realize this was a thing. I'll try it out and see if that helps, thanks.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Maybe we should play sometime? Then we could just gauge it there, maybe I'm just lucky or crazy.

(Though maybe we shouldn't, cause I'm also playing Braixen :x )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Ventana posted:

Maybe we should play sometime? Then we could just gauge it there, maybe I'm just lucky or crazy.

(Though maybe we shouldn't, cause I'm also playing Braixen :x )
Lemmie figure out this adapter thing first since having a wired connection should definitely help.

• Locked thread