Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
if thats actually the case then i take back my complaint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Koramei posted:

Oh yeah, why is Hitler's face covered in shadow now? Is that just for certain versions (like the German one?) or is that how it's always gonna be? It's kinda jarring and if anything draws more attention to him than if it was just another portrait in the same style as the others, I think.

Yeah it's for the german version of the game (i assume) and for streaming. They've shown off the regular portrait somewhere (I think a DD) so no shadow demon hitler

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

If I'm not in the German market, can I still enable Shadow Hitler anyways? And can there also be a special portrait of Stalin with one wing and a scythe?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If Shadow Hitler isn't an option available everywhere, I would be willing to accept a promise of a Sunset Invasion DLC as a compromise to not cancel my preorders.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is Shadow Hitler the only difference between the German version and the Rest-of-World version? Or did you guys have to rename him too a la HOI2, or any other weird video game censorship things?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

YF-23 posted:

If Shadow Hitler isn't an option available everywhere, I would be willing to accept a promise of a Sunset Invasion DLC as a compromise to not cancel my preorders.

Would actually pay money for a dlc where D-Day was an Aztec invasion of Europe and the U.S.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

dylguy90 posted:

Would actually pay money for a dlc where D-Day was an Aztec invasion of Europe and the U.S.

I'm still holding out for alien invasion DLC.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Aztec Invasions... Shadow Hitler... it all makes sense

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Drone posted:

Is Shadow Hitler the only difference between the German version and the Rest-of-World version? Or did you guys have to rename him too a la HOI2, or any other weird video game censorship things?

Didn't he give the tutorial in HOI3? Come to think of it, that is rather odd.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is Hoi3 going to be banned in China still, or will they have a pop-up explaining the ROC was a criminal organization and China has 14,000 years of uninterrupted unified history, a creative and innovative culture that invented paper, gunpowder, shoes, the steam engine, flight, fresh water, and is the true origin of Shakespeare's plays?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Didn't he give the tutorial in HOI3? Come to think of it, that is rather odd.

He did but they never referred to him by name during the tutorial so they probably didn't have to change that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Is Hoi3 going to be banned in China still, or will they have a pop-up explaining the ROC was a criminal organization and China has 14,000 years of uninterrupted unified history, a creative and innovative culture that invented paper, gunpowder, shoes, the steam engine, flight, fresh water, and is the true origin of Shakespeare's plays?

I think the PRC acknowledges the Warlords Era now.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Koramei posted:

Oh yeah, why is Hitler's face covered in shadow now?
OP from an old forums thread "What's your favorite leader portrait thus far?":

quote:

I hope that I didn't miss one (sorry for the bad quality):

I simply love the portraits. This is the most beautiful artwork ever done in a PDS game and it's so bloody important for the feel of the game (think Jagged Alliance 2 vs. the new one with generic render images).
My favourite portrait thus far is Hitler. He looks drat glorious, sexy and full of energy (I hope for a DLC with changing portraits according to how the game evolves, like old grumpy ailing Hitler in 1945). The leather coat make him look broad-shouldered, combined with the moustache reminiscent of a young Tom Selleck.
Close second the ever gracious Rommel.
Special awards for elegance: Nimitz and Yamamoto.
The prestigious "Golden Dud" goes to Paulus. He already looks like he's working for his future employer, the German Democratic Republic.

quote:

He looks drat glorious, sexy and full of energy

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Hitler is nowhere near as sexy as Stalin. :colbert:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

BillBear posted:

Hitler is nowhere near as sexy as Stalin. :colbert:

Young Churchill would beat his rear end with a swagger stick.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Woof

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Omnicarus posted:

Young Churchill would beat his rear end with a swagger stick.

Nah, he'd just mustard gas him.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Has there been any new news about espionage in HoI4? Everything I could find was from 2014 and that's probably going to be horribly outdated.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Tanreall posted:

Has there been any new news about espionage in HoI4? Everything I could find was from 2014 and that's probably going to be horribly outdated.

Cut from HOI4 entirely I believe.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BillBear posted:

Cut from HOI4 entirely I believe.

Dang, no espionage in stellaris either. To be fair it's really hard to make a spy system that isn't annoying busywork and is balanced let alone fun.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Espionage systems are never fun, I can't think of a game (let alone a Paradox game) where I actually enjoyed one. 100% find with it being left out of HOI4 and Stellaris unless/until they find a good way to do it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Espionage systems are never fun, I can't think of a game (let alone a Paradox game) where I actually enjoyed one. 100% find with it being left out of HOI4 and Stellaris unless/until they find a good way to do it.

SMAC probe teams were fun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oberleutnant posted:

SMAC probe teams were fun.

Eh, not really. Between the AI's propensity to spam them randomly around the map, and their ability to mind control bases, requiring you to post garrison probes all over the place or build the Secret Project which rendered you completely immune (negating an entire faction's biggest weaknesses in one fell swoop), they were not very good.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Espionage might finally be worth something in this next EU4 expansion but it's taken them a long time to try to make the espionage focus idea group not worthless.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's a drat shame because clandestine loving over is a really amazing joy when it works the right way.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
In the vein of people asking for real time Total War style battles for EU4, I want an espionage DLC for Hearts of Iron featuring fully realized tactical espionage action, guest produced by Hideo Kojima.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In the vein of people asking for real time Total War style battles for EU4, I want an espionage DLC for Hearts of Iron featuring fully realized tactical espionage action, guest produced by Hideo Kojima.

The new MGS: Playing Aztecs only to discover your Tarascan neighbors have developed Metal Gear.

This is a terribly, horribly obscure joke and I make no apologies.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 25, 2016

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I know that after turning on the auto-counterespionage thingy in HoI2/DH I just left that screen alone for the rest of the game (AI spamming dissent poo poo :shepicide:), can't say I'll miss it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I don't think I've seen the AI pull this off ever.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Espionage-related techs will be unlocked with a build-a-cipher/bombe minigame. The collector's edition of HoI4 will include actual rotors for you to build your own enigma machine with!

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
After lots of trial and error I've managed to form Super Germany in Vicky 2 by June 10th 1845.

Unfortunately it lacks Schleswig because I forgot about it and just ended up sphering Denmark. I think I could do it quicker, the United Kingdom got itself tied up in a war with Russia and France for Western Canada and so they had a truce with them until 1844. I shouldn't have pussied out and just went to war with France immediately myself, I had no trouble taking them and Russia on with the very limited support the UK did give. Still, under 10 years to form fuckoff huge Germany is pretty good I think.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SirJohnnyMcDonald posted:

After lots of trial and error I've managed to form Super Germany in Vicky 2 by June 10th 1845.

Unfortunately it lacks Schleswig because I forgot about it and just ended up sphering Denmark. I think I could do it quicker, the United Kingdom got itself tied up in a war with Russia and France for Western Canada and so they had a truce with them until 1844. I shouldn't have pussied out and just went to war with France immediately myself, I had no trouble taking them and Russia on with the very limited support the UK did give. Still, under 10 years to form fuckoff huge Germany is pretty good I think.

oh my god it's my worst victoria 2 nightmares made manifest

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Missing Switzerland and Luxemburg. 6/10.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

You must now join Switzerland with its German brethren!:hitler:
But, more importantly, it just kind of looks terrible, sticking out down there.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

How in the world did you kneecap Austria and sphere them that fast?

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

Allyn posted:

How in the world did you kneecap Austria and sphere them that fast?

Day one humiliate justify on them. It takes a while for the GP's to find their alliances to eachother and humiliate is just quick enough to get by the window. I allied the UK but they were no help as Russia immediately declared for Canada and France invaded the Isles. London fell in just a few short months. More importantly I allied the Italian minors, Sweden, Switzerland and Denmark as well as continually accepted the alliance proposals from my spherelings. With the combined force of Prussia and all her allies, so early in the game with no GP ally of their own Austria is kind of a pushover as long as you don't screw up the war. I went right for her South German spherelings and got them out of the war ASAP, leaving Austria alone to fight my northern coalition as her Italian allies were tied up fighting mine and Switzerland. I wiped out all her armies with haste and then went on the long trek of occupying her. There wasn't any peace for nine years.

One by one Austria's allies left her and eventually her entire country was under Prussian control. I quickly evacuated my troops from her occupied lands and waited for the inevitable rebellion to erupt in Vienna. After about two years of waiting and rebuilding my worn down forces the reactionaries rose up and forced their terms on Austria, thus shattering their prestige and decimating their score. Within another year Austria was a secondary power. I got to the business of making the South German states my spheres and in 1844 attacked France and Russia for alsace-lorraine (justified).

The United Kingdom joined me in a war for vengeance against the perfidious franks and within a year the Russians signed the peace. I added a wargoal in Austria for making them my sphereling and at last peaced out with them. I clicked the NGF button and on the same day clicked Three Hurrahs for Germany.

There's a bunch of ways I could have made this faster and at some point I'll try it again. With perfect micromanagement I could probably shave at least a year off.

PittTheElder posted:

Missing Switzerland and Luxemburg. 6/10.

Luxembourg's in there. What you're seeing is a tiny strip of the Netherland's territory just west of Belgium. The French took southern Belgium in the war with the British.

EDIT:

I am right now fabricating on Switzerland and going over the infamy limit in 1848. This shouldn't be a problem, Super Germany is pretty much unstoppable.

SirJohnnyMcDonald fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 26, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Day one humiliate justify on them. It takes a while for the GP's to find their alliances to eachother and humiliate is just quick enough to get by the window. I allied the UK but they were no help as Russia immediately declared for Canada and France invaded the Isles. London fell in just a few short months. More importantly I allied the Italian minors, Sweden, Switzerland and Denmark as well as continually accepted the alliance proposals from my spherelings. With the combined force of Prussia and all her allies, so early in the game with no GP ally of their own Austria is kind of a pushover as long as you don't screw up the war. I went right for her South German spherelings and got them out of the war ASAP, leaving Austria alone to fight my northern coalition as her Italian allies were tied up fighting mine and Switzerland. I wiped out all her armies with haste and then went on the long trek of occupying her. There wasn't any peace for nine years.

One by one Austria's allies left her and eventually her entire country was under Prussian control. I quickly evacuated my troops from her occupied lands and waited for the inevitable rebellion to erupt in Vienna. After about two years of waiting and rebuilding my worn down forces the reactionaries rose up and forced their terms on Austria, thus shattering their prestige and decimating their score. Within another year Austria was a secondary power. I got to the business of making the South German states my spheres and in 1844 attacked France and Russia for alsace-lorraine (justified).

The United Kingdom joined me in a war for vengeance against the perfidious franks and within a year the Russians signed the peace. I added a wargoal in Austria for making them my sphereling and at last peaced out with them. I clicked the NGF button and on the same day clicked Three Hurrahs for Germany.

There's a bunch of ways I could have made this faster and at some point I'll try it again. With perfect micromanagement I could probably shave at least a year off.

Luxembourg's in there. What you're seeing is a tiny strip of the Netherland's territory just west of Belgium. The French took southern Belgium in the war with the British.

EDIT:

I am right now fabricating on Switzerland and going over the infamy limit in 1848. This shouldn't be a problem, Super Germany is pretty much unstoppable.

You're long past the point the AI will declare on you for infamy.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

uPen posted:

You're long past the point the AI will declare on you for infamy.

Yeah but he's probably the best nation equipped to handle that besides China.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kavak posted:

Yeah but he's probably the best nation equipped to handle that besides China.

Nah, uPen's saying the infamy doesn't matter, no AI is going to declare on that Super-Germany for any reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ulmont posted:

Nah, uPen's saying the infamy doesn't matter, no AI is going to declare on that Super-Germany for any reason.

He's #6 in military right now.