Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SinineSiil posted:

Windows 10 keeps automatically installing wrong audio driver for my laptop that's broken and overriding working driver. Is there anything at all that I can do to stop it?

Google how to turn off automatic driver installs in Windows 10. There is a setting for this. If you do this though you'll have to manually install all drivers such as printers, mice etc if you plug anything new in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
From what I've read, there is an official Microsoft utility for Win10 to force-disable problem updates from installing. It's a separate download from the Microsoft site though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is there some way to get Windows 10 to show that its busy if you have a touchscreen? Something like showing the Busy or Working In Background pointers (or even just showing the mouse all the time) would be helpful with one of my slow rear end computers.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Was page 74 glitching out for anyone else? This page is much better.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Khablam posted:

Was page 74 glitching out for anyone else? This page is much better.

It wasn't glitching out. Firefox just doesn't handle the new ability to embed tweets very well. Pressing ALT+D then Enter after the page finishes loading will move you where you should be.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

It wasn't glitching out. Firefox just doesn't handle the new ability to embed tweets very well. Pressing ALT+D then Enter after the page finishes loading will move you where you should be.

I'm using Chrome. But it does seem to be embedded tweets.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there something horribly wrong here or is it just me?

I have a Surface Pro 4 that's running at 2736x1824 with 200% DPI and an external monitor at 1920x1080 at 100% DPI.

Nearly every application's text Outlook, Internet Explorer, Chrome has slightly blurry text but oddly enough the start menu is perfectly drawn. The external display has been re-calibrated, fed through DisplayPort without adapters, messed with application DPI compatibility with no luck.

Any ideas?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Khablam posted:

I'm using Chrome. But it does seem to be embedded tweets.

Ah. I couldn't remember if it happened in Chrome, too, since I tend to only use Chrome for WEBM/GIFV threads, like PYF GIF, since FF currently has issues with them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is annoying. Windows 10 Pro isn't accepting my retail Win 7 Ultimate key. I hope I won't have to do the upgrade dance...

E: Eh tried a few more times and then it worked.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 24, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

Is there something horribly wrong here or is it just me?

I have a Surface Pro 4 that's running at 2736x1824 with 200% DPI and an external monitor at 1920x1080 at 100% DPI.

Nearly every application's text Outlook, Internet Explorer, Chrome has slightly blurry text but oddly enough the start menu is perfectly drawn. The external display has been re-calibrated, fed through DisplayPort without adapters, messed with application DPI compatibility with no luck.

Any ideas?

Chrome has lovely HiDPi support still. It's fine on 1 screen but breaks when you have 2 or more monitors running at different scalings.

Try playing around with different scaling factors using the following command line switch: --force-device-scale-factor=2

ChromeOpera has the exact same problem.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Boomers have latched onto W10 as the new evil they must warn us about. I'm not interested in trying to convince them but I'd like good information for myself. Trouble is, the internet is full of W10 fear mongering and typically the articles don't support the headlines. Other articles are overboard in their support for MS. So what is the real scoop and what source is trustworthy?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Windows 10 is different, therefore people think it's bad.

In actuality, it's fine.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

wormil posted:

Boomers have latched onto W10 as the new evil they must warn us about. I'm not interested in trying to convince them but I'd like good information for myself. Trouble is, the internet is full of W10 fear mongering and typically the articles don't support the headlines. Other articles are overboard in their support for MS. So what is the real scoop and what source is trustworthy?

Windows 10 is Microsoft's fix-attempt at making a unikernel operating system. With this unikernel effort comes a boatload of platform-specific catering and under-the-hood changes.

Are all of these changes rock awesome? No. My desktop system going into "tablet mode" because it thinks my 24" touchscreen monitor is highly portable is annoying as hell. They are also coupling these with things it wants to get in on, like mobile advertising, which means they want to watch you put apps on your system and where you go and what websites you visit. There are also some very severe issues with networking, network bridge support, and external wireless adapter support. It also likes to explore your local network and add programs and devices for things it finds there, which is sometimes nice and sometimes makes you want to take a field trip to shank an entire staff of developers.

On the other side of the fence, it brings a lot of nice updates, better device management support, more stability, a faster core system, and an overall decent experience that needs to be configured to not be so drat annoying.

Thus, the reality: It's a Windows operating system. If you run it like from an OEM with 2/3rds of the SSD filled with trash ware, it's going to crash, burn, and set you and your family on fire. If you run it plain and configure around the annoying parts, it's the same thing we've had since Windows XP.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What are boomers?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What are boomers?

Google is a hell of a thing

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Arsten posted:

Windows 10 is ... sometimes nice and sometimes makes you want to take a field trip to shank an entire staff of developers.

That post reads so much better condensed.

Windows 10 has some really loving dumb design decisions. This is consistent with Microsoft's track record. Overall, it's a somewhat-improved Windows 7.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

That post reads so much better condensed.

Windows 10 has some really loving dumb design decisions. This is consistent with Microsoft's track record. Overall, it's a somewhat-improved Windows 7.

I just wish they'd pick Metro or Classic for their configuration UIs. Several times I've had to jump back and forth (And sometimes they don't even tell you the same thing between both UIs!)

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I'm on 7 Pro and figure it's about time I make use of my free upgrade. I'd like to do a clean install on a new SSD I have; can I just run the installer and direct it to the new drive, or do I need to mirror my current drive onto the new one and then do a clean install over that?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Zack Ater posted:

I'm on 7 Pro and figure it's about time I make use of my free upgrade. I'd like to do a clean install on a new SSD I have; can I just run the installer and direct it to the new drive, or do I need to mirror my current drive onto the new one and then do a clean install over that?

Go to the annoying app in your system tray (Assuming you haven't uninstalled it) and tell it to upgrade.

After the upgrade is complete, go to Start -> Settings -> Recovery and click "Reset this PC" and choose the level of system wipe you want to do. You can go all the way down to system only using this method.

Unfortunately, your free upgrade doesn't give you a key and when I've installed that it's very hit or miss as to the 7 and 8 keys working when you plug them in. I've heard others say this same thing.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zack Ater posted:

Clone your existing drive to your new SSD, then unplug all other drives from the system.

Boot up windows, and do the upgrade install. This will 'sign' your hardware as licensed for windows 10.

Either use the reset option to make windows 'like new', or format the SSD and install windows again from usb. you won't need a license key in either case.

Reconnect any other drives, and copy your files and stuff over from your original drive.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Will do. Thanks!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

Clone your existing drive to your new SSD, then unplug all other drives from the system.

Boot up windows, and do the upgrade install. This will 'sign' your hardware as licensed for windows 10.

Either use the reset option to make windows 'like new', or format the SSD and install windows again from usb. you won't need a license key in either case.

Reconnect any other drives, and copy your files and stuff over from your original drive.

Or if you have a retail or upgrade version of Windows 7, you can use the product key from that for installing Windows 10 on a blank disk.

Although apparently the process for MS to accept keys from 7/8/8.1 for Win 10 upgrades can be a bit flaky, as I experienced myself today. (Had to install without a key first, then try several times to enter key + activate after installation.)

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Arsten posted:

I just wish they'd pick Metro or Classic for their configuration UIs. Several times I've had to jump back and forth (And sometimes they don't even tell you the same thing between both UIs!)

Press settings in windows defender for a jump from classic to modern in one app!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh, you literally meant baby boomers. I keep ignoring them in the vague hope that when I next check they'll all be dead.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Arsten posted:

My favourite one is like display or personalisation under Settings where it has a link called "Advanced Settings" and all it does is boot up the Control Panel interface.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is there any way to fix the missing network protocols in 1511? I've tried the registry edits, resets, wipes, etc and nothing works. The issue was intermittent and usually disabling and re-enabling the network adapter worked, but now it's permanent. Phone posting so can't make a thread in Haus.

e: loving furious at this poo poo, going to have redownload all my programmes on my lovely internet over Easter instead of actually doing what I want. Only I can't because of this lovely bug. Can't even download an update to fix it Jesus Christ.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

My favourite one is like display or personalisation under Settings where it has a link called "Advanced Settings" and all it does is boot up the Control Panel interface.

Try to setup file history. The Metro interface will tell you it's backing up one set of folders and the Classic interface giving you a completely different list of locations. :downs:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

Or if you have a retail or upgrade version of Windows 7, you can use the product key from that for installing Windows 10 on a blank disk.

Although apparently the process for MS to accept keys from 7/8/8.1 for Win 10 upgrades can be a bit flaky, as I experienced myself today. (Had to install without a key first, then try several times to enter key + activate after installation.)

I prefer to do an upgrade at leats once on a peice of hardware if possible. It means I can hold the key activation in reserve if I need to do some sort of hardware replacement, saving the hassle of doing a phone activation later.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Arsten posted:

Go to the annoying app in your system tray (Assuming you haven't uninstalled it) and tell it to upgrade.

After the upgrade is complete, go to Start -> Settings -> Recovery and click "Reset this PC" and choose the level of system wipe you want to do. You can go all the way down to system only using this method.

Unfortunately, your free upgrade doesn't give you a key and when I've installed that it's very hit or miss as to the 7 and 8 keys working when you plug them in. I've heard others say this same thing.

If I'm upgrading from 7 to 10, is bulldoze/install from scratch the recommended method, or would this accomplish the same thing? Don't really have anything against the old format/reinstall if it'll avoid issues or prevent carry-over bloat.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

nimper posted:

In actuality, it's fine.

Well, it's okay. A lot of bugs have been worked out but new kinks keep showing up, at least for me. I've been using it for some time but mostly I'm curious about the 10,000+ blogs claiming that W10 is a virus/spyware/malware/baby raper. I ignore that stuff but there is mountains of it and it's getting to the point where it comes up in casual conversation. Whoever is encouraging/writing/pushing all this anti-MS stuff are doing an excellent job at convincing people not to upgrade.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

wormil posted:

Well, it's okay. A lot of bugs have been worked out but new kinks keep showing up, at least for me. I've been using it for some time but mostly I'm curious about the 10,000+ blogs claiming that W10 is a virus/spyware/malware/baby raper. I ignore that stuff but there is mountains of it and it's getting to the point where it comes up in casual conversation. Whoever is encouraging/writing/pushing all this anti-MS stuff are doing an excellent job at convincing people not to upgrade.

A lot of people bring up Bush doing 9/11 too.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nimper posted:

In actuality, it's fine.

Is it out of beta yet? I'm not talking about an official beta, but rather the loops Microsoft has put put their consumers through after firing their QA team.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Last Chance posted:

Is it out of beta yet? I'm not talking about an official beta, but rather the loops Microsoft has put put their consumers through after firing their QA team.

If Windows 10 didn't have a QA team, and Vista did, man, they've made advances in the quality of their coding by leaps and bounds.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

endlessmonotony posted:

If Windows 10 didn't have a QA team, and Vista did, man, they've made advances in the quality of their coding by leaps and bounds.

There's nothing fundamentally different between Windows 10 and its predecessor, which is the main difference.

That and no one's trying to run Windows 10 on a Celeron from 2007. Or at least Best Buy isn't selling them as "Windows 10 approved" laptops.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Whizbang posted:

No I was talking about real people.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

wormil posted:

No I was talking about real people.

Me too. :smith:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

If I'm upgrading from 7 to 10, is bulldoze/install from scratch the recommended method, or would this accomplish the same thing? Don't really have anything against the old format/reinstall if it'll avoid issues or prevent carry-over bloat.

Doing the Upgrade -> Reset My PC way is functionally the same as an old Nuke and Pave, depending on which Reset option you choose. I've been recommending it while you can get Windows 10 for free via the upgrade because, as I noted, the license to use isn't a CD Key for the free upgrades - which has caused me and others some problems in the nuke and pave process.

If you have a Win10 CD Key and are more comfortable with it, by all means - Nuke and Pave.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I know, was just being a smart rear end. Although, if start reading up on it ... jk.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Arsten posted:

Doing the Upgrade -> Reset My PC way is functionally the same as an old Nuke and Pave, depending on which Reset option you choose. I've been recommending it while you can get Windows 10 for free via the upgrade because, as I noted, the license to use isn't a CD Key for the free upgrades - which has caused me and others some problems in the nuke and pave process.

If you have a Win10 CD Key and are more comfortable with it, by all means - Nuke and Pave.

I have a 10 key but I may do the upgrade -> reset thingy so I can see how everything works in 10; I can always bulldoze a few months from now. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Whizbang posted:

That's actually a really great analogy, because both conspiracy theories spread and gained traction due to arrogance, authoritarian attitudes, incompetent PR, and lack of transparency by those in charge.

I personally don't like Windows 10, but I'm not going to get into why. What bothers me more are the aggressive methods Microsoft is using, their neglectful and secretive stance regarding privacy and assuring those with reservations concerning data collection, and their heavy-handed attempts to override user preference and choice with regard to upgrading and using the new OS.

They have seriously bungled their response to user concerns and destroyed a lot of good will in the past year. It's going to take them a long time to earn back my trust.