Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah dude sky is falling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Who is going to be interested? JetBlue makes some level of sense, Alaska less so.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons so in just flying to Shanghai through Cathay pacific. During boarding the staff really insisted on having All Marco Polo members boarding and the economy line was stilled held up as Marco Polo members trickled in. This suit guy got really pissed and starting to yell at the staff for not letting him in.

Cathay wasn't like this before and priority boarding is more of a luxury for the initial call. Are other airlines like this trying to get passengers to sign up for their clubs? I thought clubs nowadays are Getty crappier and the best way to fly is just use credit card affiliated points

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That sucks pretty bad, but I see that poo poo from mainland businesses more than I'd like to. Chalk it up to Beijing's increasing influence on HK.

EDIT:

Cacafuego posted:

This was a while back, but I sent a polite email complaint to AAdvantage about my 5+ hour maintenance delay and subsequent cancellation. They recently deposited 10k AA miles into my account. Not a bad trade off considering I was in the CLT admirals club the whole time and ended up on a different flight anyway. Thanks for the advice!

Glad it paid off for you!

Midjack fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 24, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

quote:

He gives us permission to leave this AA metal prison. I leave, go back to the Centurion Lounge again, grab some lunch then proceed to get a free massage and very, very drunk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comments/4bsg3m/the_65_hours_i_spent_in_aa_purgatory/

:allears:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That poor bastard. Though if I had to be stuck somewhere, I'd definitely want to be stuck somewhere with a Centurion Lounge.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I pulled the trigger on an Anker 5 port USB/C charger and a set of power cords from SF Cable. Everything connects and charges properly as far as I can tell. I'll have a report after my next trip on if it as good as I think it will be. Probably should've picked up a package of short micro-USB cables, but I have so loving many of them already.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good universal travel adaptor? Ideally it will accept all plugs and plug in to all plugs.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

puchu posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good universal travel adaptor? Ideally it will accept all plugs and plug in to all plugs.

I have a pair of these and they work great. They used to cost like $3/$4 a pop and I guess the price has gone up:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YN01X4/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Barry posted:

That poor bastard. Though if I had to be stuck somewhere, I'd definitely want to be stuck somewhere with a Centurion Lounge.

And Miami to boot.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

air- posted:

I have a pair of these and they work great. They used to cost like $3/$4 a pop and I guess the price has gone up:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YN01X4/

Sadly it's not on the UK Amazon site. Piss and moan.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Travel adaptor I would go all out and get the Swiss one. Build quality is much nicer, sturdy sub ports. Sure it's a a cheap plug but I rather spend more and use it for my power strip

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Who is going to be interested? JetBlue makes some level of sense, Alaska less so.

Well, for all four regular Virgin America customers in the world, both of these airlines submitted takeover bids and a deal is expected within a couple weeks.

I really don't see how AS makes sense unless they are gunning hard for west coast slots.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well, for all four regular Virgin America customers in the world, both of these airlines submitted takeover bids and a deal is expected within a couple weeks.

I really don't see how AS makes sense unless they are gunning hard for west coast slots.

Do you think it bothers Alaska that they're one of the last legacy carriers and every other one is a behemoth while they're relatively tiny?

I nearly booked a business class ticket without lieflat seats. In the year 2016, American Airlines still has multiple routes that haven't fully converted. JFC. Thanks Seat Guru for saving me.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Blinkman987 posted:

Do you think it bothers Alaska that they're one of the last legacy carriers and every other one is a behemoth while they're relatively tiny?

I nearly booked a business class ticket without lieflat seats. In the year 2016, American Airlines still has multiple routes that haven't fully converted. JFC. Thanks Seat Guru for saving me.

Alaska is also profitable and has been for a while, so they've got something figured out.

AA's angle-flat J is pretty awful for the missions they fly it on so congrats on not making that mistake.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Alaska is really the only remaining pre-deregulation carrier - they're fairly similar in structure to things like Northeast, Western, Piedmont, Republic etc. They just had a nice market sewn up in a fairly remote corner of the world and were able to hang on to it. I don't think they have had any desire to be like the Big 3+WN, but maybe Delta moving in to their little patch has changed that around somewhat.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hawaiian is also still chilling out there. Bragging about being the only US carrier that still has free meals. And free wine with dinner too!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smackfu posted:

Hawaiian is also still chilling out there. Bragging about being the only US carrier that still has free meals. And free wine with dinner too!

Same kind of situation, though - a remote market with huge O&D that's a bit difficult to serve and doesn't quite fit in a network carrier strategy.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I called AA about giving me 45 minutes to get through customs and immigration at JFK. They changed the flight from MAD to ORD, and they submitted a request to get us on the ORD to CMH flight. The rep said it should be approved. That would cut our travel time from 16 hours originally (before the flight change messed everything up) to 13 and a half hours.

Also on the way out they changed our 8:30AM flight to JFK to a 12:40PM flight, which saves us like 4 hours at JFK and lets us actually sleep.

So if it goes through we will be getting pretty much the ideal flights to Spain by using AA miles, which isn't a small feat.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

How many miles did this cost, what class, and what metal?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

air- posted:

How many miles did this cost, what class, and what metal?

Original flights were 30k each way per person for Coach. CMH to JFK is Envoy Air as American Eagle and ORD to CMH is Republic as American Eagle. Madrid flights are Iberia. I would've liked to have waited until flights dropped to 20k in mid-Sep but they didn't have any availability when I was looking.

Changing the flight didn't cost me anything since AA was the one that moved my flight to give me 45 minutes to get through customs and immigration.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Right on time for me to fly back home in the morning:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2016/03/30/strike-is-back-on-for-u-s-airport-workers-seeking-higher-pay-job-protections/

quote:

The 24-hour strike workers had planned at several major U.S. airports last week, then postponed after the Brussels terrorist attacks, is back on.

Service workers, including cleaners, security officers and baggage handlers, plan to walk off their jobs Wednesday night, in a demand for better wages and union rights.

The strike is planned at eight airports including Washington’s Reagan National, Chicago’s O’Hare, New Jersey’s Newark Liberty, and New York’s Kennedy and LaGuardia airports.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A maintenance delay (again) will force me to miss my connection in CLT, putting me on a later flight to MCO. It wouldn't be so bad, but I had been upgraded to F on that flight and now I'm stuck on a later flight in economy :v:

1st world problems!

E: never mind, got upgraded on the next flight, all is right with the world again, haha

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 30, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Whoa, turns out it's Alaska acquiring Virgin!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/alaska-air-strikes-deal-to-buy-virgin-america-1459764621

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Huh, I had figured Jet Blue would end up with them if a deal went through.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Got my first SSSS today returning CUN-ORD. (Thank god for packing cubes.) Is this going to stick with me? I booked far in advance, used a credit card, and had my KTN in and everything.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

taco show posted:

Got my first SSSS today returning CUN-ORD. (Thank god for packing cubes.) Is this going to stick with me? I booked far in advance, used a credit card, and had my KTN in and everything.

Wait and you have global entry? What the gently caress?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

taco show posted:

Probably not, I got it once a year ago and haven't in a couple dozen flights since.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Same, I got it once (AMS-BOS uugh) and haven't gotten it in ages.

AMS is a loving shitshow these days.

If you get it again soon on an int'l flight I would try to figure out what arm of DHS you've managed to piss off.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
All of Europe is suffering from a serious lack of border control agents and a lot of airports are shitshows. I barely made a 1h10m connection through CDG this morning because they posted two guys between the Schengen and non-Schengen Skyteam terminals and a lady begging French nationals with biometric passports to use their fancy automated priority lane. Not that Schengen matters in France anymore, passports are checked for all international flights.

AMS just warned people to come 4 hours in advance end of April / early May. FCO had a terminal fire last year and takes you through multiple screenings and a bus transfer if you move airside between Schengen and non-Schengen terminals. BRU, uh well...

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Same, I got it once (AMS-BOS uugh) and haven't gotten it in ages.

AMS is a loving shitshow these days.

If you get it again soon on an int'l flight I would try to figure out what arm of DHS you've managed to piss off.

I went through AMS at Christmas and it sucked. I booked my flight on Delta, had a Delta boarding pass, and a Delta flight number, so when I landed from MUC, there were a bunch of signs saying "HEY YOU HAVE TO CHECK IN AT GATE E1 OR D4 (or whatever the gate numbers are) FOR FLIGHTS TO THE US!" except both of them were empty up to an hour before my flight. Went to my gate further down E-terminal to see that I was actually on a KLM flight, and the old lady at the counter rudely explained that I should have known that I didn't need to go to the Delta area since it was a KLM flight. And then I got yelled at again at boarding because I didn't have the stamp or whatever I needed on my boarding pass. Bitches.

At least the flight itself was nice. The KLM 777 in business class was way nicer than the Delta 767 in D1.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What happened to people booked out of Brussels anyway? The airport was closed for a week or two so he did the airlines handle that?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pvt Dancer posted:

All of Europe is suffering from a serious lack of border control agents and a lot of airports are shitshows. I barely made a 1h10m connection through CDG this morning because they posted two guys between the Schengen and non-Schengen Skyteam terminals and a lady begging French nationals with biometric passports to use their fancy automated priority lane. Not that Schengen matters in France anymore, passports are checked for all international flights.

AMS just warned people to come 4 hours in advance end of April / early May. FCO had a terminal fire last year and takes you through multiple screenings and a bus transfer if you move airside between Schengen and non-Schengen terminals. BRU, uh well...

AMS is actually fine from border guard / Marechaussee perspective. It's the supplemental screening that Delta has decided to put in place as of mid-year last year.

I would not try to go through CDG in an hour and ten.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smackfu posted:

What happened to people booked out of Brussels anyway? The airport was closed for a week or two so he did the airlines handle that?

Rebooked out of CDG, AMS, LUX, etc.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

AMS is actually fine from border guard / Marechaussee perspective. It's the supplemental screening that Delta has decided to put in place as of mid-year last year.

I hope so. I've got a flight on AA (old US, ugh) out of there in 2 weeks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FunOne posted:

I hope so. I've got a flight on AA (old US, ugh) out of there in 2 weeks.

Connection or O&D?

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As a general rule sure, but the Skyteam terminals 2E and 2F are opposite each other and it takes like 15 minutes to cross.

Alitalia offered me a 45 minute transfer to intercontinental, I passed on that one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pvt Dancer posted:

As a general rule sure, but the Skyteam terminals 2E and 2F are opposite each other and it takes like 15 minutes to cross.

Alitalia offered me a 45 minute transfer to intercontinental, I passed on that one.

Last year I went through CDG on a Flybe flight from the UK with a recently open-surgerized left knee and crutches. Of course we got a gate that was a loving million miles from passport control and of course they had sort of neglected to show up with the wheelchair. That topped my bad CDG list.

SkyTeam setup isn't bad (I'm a SkyTeam dude so I go through there a fair amount) other than checkin when they move your flight from E to F and don't tell you. Or when you're dealing with Air Europa. gently caress that airline.

FCO is a disaster even before the fire and the construction, and now they have a mix of Guardia Finanza and private security and Carabinieri running all over on top of that and it's even worse.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Connection or O&D?

Depart is the concern.

Dfw-phl-dub,dub-lhr,lgw-ams,ams-phl-dfw over a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
If it's in two weeks you should be fine, holidays don't start until the weekend of April 30.