Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Citizen Tayne posted:

oh cool, Planet Money, the show where 24 year olds call and ask what they should invest their ~15K in disposable income a month in

I definitely can relate to the target audience for that show

because they live and do awesome things in pittsburgh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Planet Money is gutter trash

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shaggar posted:

like the exact thing I want to do apparently was litterrallly one button in previous versions of osx Linux but now its gone cause apple.

why would you want to change settings when steve manages all the settings for you so that they're already correct?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

kwinkles posted:

why would you want to change settings when steve manages all the settings for you so that they're already correct?

turns out even if you setup a system profile you cant have osx automatically switch from a machine wifi account to the logging in users account (or have the wifi use the logging in users account) so its pointless and I gave up. osx is garbage

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

oh cool, Planet Money, the show where 24 year olds call and ask what they should invest their ~15K in disposable income a month in

I definitely can relate to the target audience for that show

you're thinking of a different show

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no hes not. hes definitely thinking of planet money. its terrible.

the good npr shows are marketplace, phc, and car talk reruns

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
kai owns pretty hard

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

you're thinking of a different show

I am absolutely thinking of Planet Money.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Financial Advice for the Rest of Us*

(* with seven figures in net worth)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I LIKE TERRY GROSS

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

just to expand on planet money being ridiculous

they are actually positing that publicly traded cable and satellite companies were interested in performing a greater good by giving "little guys" a voice to reach millions of people, and then immediately argue against that being the case by telling the story of what happened when profits began to dip slightly

they are looking at listeners and saying "hey, you think people will still listen to us after we air this story??"

yes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
rip to talk of the nation. just RIP.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

neal conan was boss, and npr canning him and the show was the last sign i needed to tune out of npr

dude's farming macadamia nuts or something now in hawaii

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

neal and steve, both gone for better places, and us worse for it

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

just to expand on planet money being ridiculous

they are actually positing that publicly traded cable and satellite companies were interested in performing a greater good by giving "little guys" a voice to reach millions of people, and then immediately argue against that being the case by telling the story of what happened when profits began to dip slightly

they are looking at listeners and saying "hey, you think people will still listen to us after we air this story??"

yes

Well yeah, they're for profit companies, they can only do good when profits aren't hurting and they can afford to "waste" money.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
it would be cool if cable companies actually went full alacarte and like had a 50/mo base fee for the normal channels and then every extra channel you want was like an extra $0.50. then on the weekends or whatever you get a set amount of "free browsing time" where they open up all the channels and analyze your watching habits to suggest what channels and indy networks you may want to subscribe to. that way I can still surf or whatever when I'm stoned and so grandma idiot rancher can still discover her horse training network while still maintaining bundle packages for the essentials

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

no hes not. hes definitely thinking of planet money. its terrible.

the good npr shows are marketplace, phc, and car talk reruns

i like says you

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

it would be cool if cable companies actually went full alacarte and like had a 50/mo base fee for the normal channels and then every extra channel you want was like an extra $0.50. then on the weekends or whatever you get a set amount of "free browsing time" where they open up all the channels and analyze your watching habits to suggest what channels and indy networks you may want to subscribe to. that way I can still surf or whatever when I'm stoned and so grandma idiot rancher can still discover her horse training network while still maintaining bundle packages for the essentials

verizon fios tv is close with their channel packs at $10/month each

what's nice is the base package of channels is any combo of 2 or 3 packs you want, and then you add more on top of that

itll be difficult to break the business model up so that its full on ala carte but it's getting there

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

this would actually be bad. you as the consumer would (are) going to pay more for the same or less content and the little channels that only survive by bundling would cease to exist and would therefor not produce anything.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

BONGHITZ posted:

I LIKE TERRY GROSS

same, forums poster BONGHITZ

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

speaking of tv

Apple is making a tv show about apps, with will.i.am

will I am

will I am

timb runs a thumb dripping with fetid rear end sweat across your forehead. "iCloud", he murmurs.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/24/apple-watch-edition-hidden/ Apple starting to throw the 5 figgy apple watch down the memory hole

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

will I am

will I loving am

will I am is who you hire when you've given up and want to make your giant corporation seem hip

Jesus Christ I had no idea it was this bad

pretty soon Apple keynotes will be this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qTHbOEiDY

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

zen death robot posted:

I like mine as well

same it is very needs suiting

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

does anyone have shingy's number? Tim Cook is gonna need it

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I'm sorry wait wait don't tell me is boss
:boom:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if it's anything like any of will i am's other efforts is will be a miserable failure that is forgotten before it's even out

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
cable's pretty bad because i'm reacting to it instead of vice versa

if i do get it when i move it'll be because the overall bill is cheaper and so i can get the on demand service that the ISP has

nah this is bad because very few channels are profitable enough on their own

although the problem with cable in the first place is that it needs to fill 24 hours of content for each channel. so if you switch to an on-demand model you can still produce most of the same content and not pay as much

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

theultimo posted:

I'm sorry wait wait don't tell me is boss
:boom:

when i travel i queue up like 8 episodes and play along its very good imo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

actually it's great and sites are worth going to now

Mozilla released a free adblocker called Focus that is very good

yo thanks for pointing this out. the difference between focus and crystal is night and day.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Linguica posted:

http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/24/apple-watch-edition-hidden/ Apple starting to throw the 5 figgy apple watch down the memory hole

quote:

It’s also notable that while the Sport and stainless steel ranges saw significant changes, the Edition didn’t see any update love from Apple.

Of course, it could simply be that the Edition is selling in even more limited numbers that Apple had expected, and the company has merely decided to stop pushing something that isn’t moving, but the timing certainly seems interesting.

is this just piss-poor writing or does he really think this is the less likely explanation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

apple may not have intended to sell many at all in which case this would all be as planned. its not like you can walk into a lexus dealership and buy a lf-a

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hobbesmaster posted:

apple may not have intended to sell many at all in which case this would all be as planned. its not like you can walk into a lexus dealership and buy a lf-a

hahaha pffft maybe you can't

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

hahaha pffft maybe you can't

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
gruber lmao

quote:

It was always a bit of a lark, a whimsy the company granted to Jony Ive.
i must have imagined the solid year he spent yammering on about the super deluxe apple watch, talking about how apple was going after the high-end luxury market and was going to wreck switzerland and take the brand into a whole new place and they hired all these luxury product executives and on and on and on. now? its a lark, just some whimsy, nothing to see here please move along

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007

FMguru posted:

gruber lmao

i must have imagined the solid year he spent yammering on about the super deluxe apple watch, talking about how apple was going after the high-end luxury market and was going to wreck switzerland and take the brand into a whole new place and they hired all these luxury product executives and on and on and on. now? its a lark, just some whimsy, nothing to see here please move along

clearly you haven't had some rich persian dude drone on and on about how much he loves his LUXURIOUS edition.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hemick posted:

clearly you haven't had some rich persian dude drone on and on about how much he loves his LUXURIOUS edition.

much like the ipad pro, apparently nobody has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

broken clock opsec posted:

much like the ipad pro, apparently nobody has

I have both :smug:

• Locked thread