Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I mean...I guess? It's just odd to me that she walks into a newspaper office and the editor is just like "hey I like the cut of your gib here's a job and an office! Welp, I hope you know how to write!"

I know, I know, suspension of disbelief. I just feel like it could've been smoother.

She doesn't really. She goes to him to get information and has to basically beg him and while she's doing it he is watching her and decides she has potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

PantsBandit posted:

I mean...I guess? It's just odd to me that she walks into a newspaper office and the editor is just like "hey I like the cut of your gib here's a job and an office! Welp, I hope you know how to write!"

I know, I know, suspension of disbelief. I just feel like it could've been smoother.

oh yeah, it was still weirdly done in terms of how it happened in the show

also as a labor lawyer I can't help but get caught up on the minutiae. like, did she ever fill out an I-9? is she getting paid? if she got herself killed or injured by ninjas or the Punisher or whatever before beardo officially made a job offer, would she be covered by the paper's insurance? you know, the important poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

oh yeah, it was still weirdly done in terms of how it happened in the show

also as a labor lawyer I can't help but get caught up on the minutiae. like, did she ever fill out an I-9? is she getting paid? if she got herself killed or injured by ninjas or the Punisher or whatever before beardo officially made a job offer, would she be covered by the paper's insurance? you know, the important poo poo

How long have staff writers been asking who's gonna get Ben's office, and he just gives it to Karen.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pron on VHS posted:

this show really made me want to drink coffee, I was laughing when Frank pulls out his thermos on the rooftop, wanna show that guy an Aeropress

He could probably bludgeon a dozen people to death with that metal thermos if he had to, a flimsy plastic Aeropress is pretty much tactically useless. Your priorities are all wrong. :colbert:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It's weird because Karen actually showed some agency in the first season during her encounter with Wesley, but this season was just a parade of cowering or running from shoot outs, getting voluntarily kidnapped by Frank, and getting involuntarily kidnapped by everyone else.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ImpAtom posted:

She doesn't really. She goes to him to get information and has to basically beg him and while she's doing it he is watching her and decides she has potential.

Also he's aware of all her work with Ben from Season 1. Additionally it's not like her actual job duties at Nelson & Murdock don't have a lot of overlap with investigative reporting.

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's weird because Karen actually showed some agency in the first season during her encounter with Wesley, but this season was just a parade of cowering or running from shoot outs, getting voluntarily kidnapped by Frank, and getting involuntarily kidnapped by everyone else.

I don't think actively slipping police protective custody to go pal around with the guy suspected of trying to kill you, and in the process uncovering the identity of the the drug dealer at the heart of it all, really counts as a cowering lack of agency.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gyges posted:

Also he's aware of all her work with Ben from Season 1. Additionally it's not like her actual job duties at Nelson & Murdock don't have a lot of overlap with investigative reporting.

I don't think actively slipping police protective custody to go pal around with the guy suspected of trying to kill you, and in the process uncovering the identity of the the drug dealer at the heart of it all, really counts as a cowering lack of agency.

I don't think she does either, she is very active in trying to uncover the truth about Frank and is one of the only people to not think he's insane. She does it against the advice of pretty much everybody in the show and seems to be the only one to give a poo poo about what is going on with him. Matt is too busy with Elektra and Foggy spends most of the time pissing himself and wishing to get rid of the case as much as possible to go back to helping little old ladies who give him pie. She's pretty much the driving force in exposing what happened. Without her, nobody would really know what is going on.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I thought Karen was really good this season, to be honest. Her interactions with Frank were always great.

Having Frank Castle go to trial, and having Nelson and Murdock by the ones to represent him, was such a smart obvious story decision that I totally didn't see coming until it actually happened.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gargamel Gibson posted:

A) Karen is a poo poo writer.

B) Frank shoots up a hospital but doesn't hit anyone, great! He just traumatizes multiple people and causes a ton of hearing damage. What an rear end in a top hat.

C) Clancy Brown played a good guy in the best comic book adaptation:
https://youtu.be/zr_Ta6NS3-g

D) I think I'm in love with Elodie Yung.

We're going to have to fight one day.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

GlitchThief posted:

Daredevil is packed to the gills with blood, torture, gunshots, and other violence, but the part where Karen narrates her article is the only time I winced.
And this is after multiple people have been stabbed in the eye.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Daredevil yanks a gangster off a meat hook*

Hell yeah, this is awesome!

Karen narrates her article

*vomits uncontrollably*

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oof, personally I couldn't stand the Stick fingernails thing. I covered the screen for that part.

Something I just thought of that I don't think anyone mentioned yet was that, unless I'm misinterpreting Frank's episode 4 monologue a lot, he came back from the war one day, surprised his daughter, and the very next day the whole carousel sting went down and got everyone killed. And that's way too much of a coincidence, right? Like, it all happened one single day after Frank gets home? Colonel Blacksmith had to have been targeting Frank with that.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Gyges posted:

She did help with Ben Ulrich to bring down the Kingpin, and exposed a police conspiracy around the death of the Castles. Even if she is a poo poo writer, she's still a damned good investigative reporter worthy of two Pulitzers. So not-JJJ recognized that, and even if she is a crappy writer, her editor Beardly McBeardguy can fix the writing, since you know, that's what editors do.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Fingernail torture is the new black. I've seen it on a few shows/movies recently. The drill through the foot was pretty gnarly though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The whole time they were crawling around in the sewers fighting ninjas with an ancient master I was thinking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Today it dawned on me: This was almost positively one of the comics that was a parody of. Right?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Blazing Ownager posted:

The whole time they were crawling around in the sewers fighting ninjas with an ancient master I was thinking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Today it dawned on me: This was almost positively one of the comics that was a parody of. Right?

Yes, TMNT is a parody of Daredevil (they were trained by a guy named Stick Splinter and their enemies are called the Hand Foot). Also the chemicals that blinded Daredevil are the same ones that mutated the turtles.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah I thought Karen was really good this season, to be honest. Her interactions with Frank were always great.

Having Frank Castle go to trial, and having Nelson and Murdock by the ones to represent him, was such a smart obvious story decision that I totally didn't see coming until it actually happened.

daredevil and she-hulk represent every single superhero in court

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I really liked the show except the last bit with the article.

And as enthralling as Frank Castle and Electra were in this story I feel like adding lethal violence into the story was a bit of a mistake. Daredevil bashes a guy over the head with a metal club and he's just knocked out. If Punisher did that it you'd see chunks of meat flying out the other side. The disconnect between two people doing the same thing and getting such wildly different results took me out of the story quite a bit during the later episode.

Season one wasn't that interesting to me so I gave up about halfway through, so I'm curious about something that happened at the newspaper with Karen. She and the bald reporter go into Ben Ulrich's office and she sees a folder with her name on it and breaks down crying after looking through it. The reporter says "Ben didn't care and I don't either." What was that about?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Galvanik posted:

She and the bald reporter go into Ben Ulrich's office and she sees a folder with her name on it and breaks down crying after looking through it. The reporter says "Ben didn't care and I don't either." What was that about?

Season 1 didn't explain it either. People have just obliquely remarked that Karen has a sordid past, but that folder has been the most explicit reference to it.

Presumably Ben did a background check on Karen last season to figure out who he was dealing with, and decided it didn't matter.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

karen becoming a reporter felt pretty natural to me, she spent two seasons solving scooby doo mysteries

Problem was that part of Ben's arc last season was how reporting wasn't solving scooby doo mysteries anymore it was writing stupid fluff pieces.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My only gripe/complaint with the series (ending spoiler): If Elektra was Black Sky and The Hand was meant to server her, then they sure as poo poo played it pretty loving close when they tried to kill her by poison katana when they fought by the pit. Good thing Stick was there and also knew the antidote?

I pretty much loved the entire season. MUCH better than S1.

And the Luke Cage teaser super owned.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:five: give us the loving series already netflix we know you have it :argh:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My only gripe/complaint with the series (ending spoiler): If Elektra was Black Sky and The Hand was meant to server her, then they sure as poo poo played it pretty loving close when they tried to kill her by poison katana when they fought by the pit. Good thing Stick was there and also knew the antidote?

I pretty much loved the entire season. MUCH better than S1.

It seemed like killing her was never really an issue since they knew they could just resurrect her anyways using Big Japanese Box. When Nobu freaked out after getting her I think it was probably just because it's extremely disrespectful to murder their god/leader, not because it ruined their plans.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Why didn't they just use the box on the child Black Sky that died?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

moths posted:

Why didn't they just use the box on the child Black Sky that died?

They probably need that specific piece of land first, and they didn't get that land until the end of season 1. Nobu seems to come back from the dead on his own but maybe there's something special about him that allows him to do so without the whole ceremony The Hand usually does.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I guess that kid was killed by an arrow to the heart, maybe the brain/heart shot prevents revival. Chakra/soul points or something.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They could already resurrect regular Hand ninjas though, like autopsy guy. And their hearts weren't essential because, well, they didn't use them.

I'll accept that ninja magic doesn't work in a way I can understand, but it still seems silly to have multiple Black Skies running around.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Galvanik posted:

Season one wasn't that interesting to me so I gave up about halfway through, so I'm curious about something that happened at the newspaper with Karen. She and the bald reporter go into Ben Ulrich's office and she sees a folder with her name on it and breaks down crying after looking through it. The reporter says "Ben didn't care and I don't either." What was that about?

As others have said, a folder about her unsavory past that has yet to be elaborated on, though I could read a newspaper clipping that appeared to be about the death of the brother she mentioned.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In regards to the child not being resurrected I have a few potential explanations. First he has no training so it's worth more to just forget about him and find a different Black Sky. Second they realise Stick is active again and decide Elektra is back on the table, they knew she was with him and were waiting for him to show his hand. Third they need to prepare people beforehand for the normal resurrection methods that Nobu and the Hand use but the Coffin is special, they dug the hole because the Coffin was lost there in ancient times or it's some sort of ninja Magic hotspot that will allow the Coffin/Black Sky ritual to work.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Things that bugged me and took me out of watching and into sperg over analysis mode:

-Matt wearing awesome clothes and expensive rear end glasses somehow not knowing poo poo about wine and preferring swill.
-Matt not telling his closest friend or love interest poo poo about the ninja menace. This is especially bad because Matt drops a huge case on his friend that he himself said he'd do and he never even spoke to his love interest and preferred to use Chinese whispers. That was some real terrible Arrow-esque poo poo there.
-Karin going to a newspaper company with a huge floor space and what looked like a ton of people working there. Is this set in the 80's or the now?
-Matt rule lawyering in his no kill thing, ok if his allies kill but he can't and for whatever reason he wont try and bust them after the middle of the season.
-Terrible ninja fights. Said it before as have many others but if they were going to be so bad couldn't you do something cool at the end like have Frank blow one up mid flip in the last episode as a throw back to that cool Punisher movie? Something, anything.
-Matt not hearing heartbeats but able to hear breaths and swords was retarded as hell. Could have worked if they thought about it but as it was it was terrible.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
You can be fashionable and buy expensive clothing and still not like to drink wine...

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Woden posted:

-Karin going to a newspaper company with a huge floor space and what looked like a ton of people working there. Is this set in the 80's or the now?
http://www.theonion.com/article/economically-healthy-daily-planet-now-most-unreali-28718

That reminds of this classic Onion article.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sticklefifer posted:

Fingernail torture is the new black. I've seen it on a few shows/movies recently. The drill through the foot was pretty gnarly though.

I think what I liked most about that scene is at the end when you realize Frank set it all up. I remember wondering what the gently caress was with the scene focusing on him treating a cut on his arm we didn't see him get. Also his pain don't hurt limp after they drilled his foot. That might have been one of the scariest Frank Castle points in the series, alongside him standing alone after his prison hallway. Props to Irish bad dad for not making GBS threads himself as Frank approached.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nobu seemed to be the only one to realize she was Black Sky. Before that they were just fighting random yakuza and hand mooks. Mostly security details that Matt and Elektra stumbled into. Also my guess is that there's still a bunch of ninja magic rituals that need to be completed before she's full Black Sky.

My guess is that the kid from Season 1 was just someone who they thought might be Black Sky and they were bringing him in to double check. Then either Stick used a special Chaste arrow/hit the kid just right to make him unresurectable or they realized the kid wasn't actually Black Sky. Stick does know how to kill an immortal ninja after all, unless Nobu Kurgans it up with some neck staples in Season 3.

As for Elektra, I'd guess Stick either kidnapped her from the Hand to start with or Nobu and the Hand mystics just realized after fighting her for a while.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

You can be fashionable and buy expensive clothing and still not like to drink wine...

It's also a reminder of the same thing from the kingpin episodes from S1 where Wesley's picking his wine.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Woden posted:

Things that bugged me and took me out of watching and into sperg over analysis mode:

-Matt wearing awesome clothes and expensive rear end glasses somehow not knowing poo poo about wine and preferring swill.
-Matt not telling his closest friend or love interest poo poo about the ninja menace. This is especially bad because Matt drops a huge case on his friend that he himself said he'd do and he never even spoke to his love interest and preferred to use Chinese whispers. That was some real terrible Arrow-esque poo poo there.
-Matt rule lawyering in his no kill thing, ok if his allies kill but he can't and for whatever reason he wont try and bust them after the middle of the season.
-Terrible ninja fights. Said it before as have many others but if they were going to be so bad couldn't you do something cool at the end like have Frank blow one up mid flip in the last episode as a throw back to that cool Punisher movie? Something, anything.
-Matt not hearing heartbeats but able to hear breaths and swords was retarded as hell. Could have worked if they thought about it but as it was it was terrible.

wine sucks

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gyges posted:

I think what I liked most about that scene is at the end when you realize Frank set it all up. I remember wondering what the gently caress was with the scene focusing on him treating a cut on his arm we didn't see him get. Also his pain don't hurt limp after they drilled his foot. That might have been one of the scariest Frank Castle points in the series, alongside him standing alone after his prison hallway. Props to Irish bad dad for not making GBS threads himself as Frank approached.

The razor hidden in the arm is another small moment lifted from MAX. At least one of the writers did their homework.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I wonder if he had a bobby pin also hidden in his forearm in case they used handcuffs instead of zipties/rope

maybe a Starbucks Doubleshot too

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Karen was the best part of the season. She was acted great, much better than DD who was a bunch of tics. I loved the kingpin/punisher monologues, but they were hardly nuanced. She got shoehorned into plot a bit, but she was the only one who seemed to have some agency rather than being constrained by some crappy ruleset or predefined character archetype. The show was so great when it was about characters and their interactions, but the terrible ninja stuff always felt so weak. Just before Frank threw DD off the ship, I was so hoping the dialogue about actions and consequences would come to something, but it just ended up with more navel gazing and fighting ninjas. It's great TV, but JJ has it much better dialed for me.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Woden posted:

Eh, this is fine. The whole story is meant to be Matt trying to have it all, to be the super crime fighter and the good friend lawyer, and he falls apart because of it. He fucks over his friends with evasive responses, and a lack of reliability, and he lies to himself thinking he's protecting them when really the only way to do that is to actually cut ties which he doesn't have the conviction to do.

By the end he questions all of what he is, not killing, the double life, and is determined to leave with Elektra but she gets killed too, yanking out the rug for that moment of clarity.

It's all ham for sure because it's TV but the themes are there, and they're absolutely a thing that people believably do.

The final scene is him realising that he needs to let people in, that he goes into a tailspin trying to be the Daredevil alone. It's interesting that one of the people he was most honest with the whole season was Frank, he even admitted his way might not work, he expressed doubt he would never show to Foggy and Karen. Hopefully he'll be written to have grown from all this, I'd hate for all this characterisation to be accidental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So what's up with one of the Irish mobsters in the first episode missing a hand? It looks like it was cut off, as is Stick's style, but that doesn't make any sense. This is a rewatch of the season, but I can't put two and two together.