Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
all coherent libertarian theories accept the existence of the state.

Robert Nozick called it the night watchman state. it holds the only acceptable government institutions are: police, military and courts

can you imagine why in practice, lolbertarians end up being authoritarian fucktards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

starkebn posted:

Must be nice when you've got everything figured out and it's all so brown & white

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

MaliciousOnion posted:

starkebn posted:

Must be nice when you've got everything figured out and it's all so brown & white

:boom:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you loving

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Avshalom posted:

you loving

holy poo poo, in on the ground floor of Avshalom's return

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

fliptophead posted:

What about who gives a gently caress about borders? It is a waste of money keeping this arbitrary idea around. You as a libertarian think the government needs to regulate the flow of people into and out of this land because they aren't citizens? Who pays for that? gently caress off.

Any country that has pissweak borders and no way to defend them will soon cease to exist as a country.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Countries are an obsolete and dangerous concept, good

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
I wish the Greens would adopt that attitude and loudly announce it while campaigning.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Why do Australians argue with cats?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

LibertyCat posted:

I wish the Greens would adopt that attitude and loudly announce it while campaigning.

If that was their platform I'd hope they'd denounce parliamentarianism and instead participate in revolutionary direct action. But I guess we can't all have our wishes come true. :anarchists:

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Because I've been applying for every job I come across with no success yet?

I can help with this. Add me from the Ted Cruz group. My resume used to return a one in three reply rate, now it gets nearly one hundred per cent, and I can pick from which jobs I like the most.

e: also, back when my resume was not this great, I hired a Filipino PA to apply for 100 jobs for me each week. Paid her twice her minimum wage and it still cost me sweet FA, so it wasn't being exploitative. I tell you, it was about three weeks in before the job offers started filing into my inbox from her. Gave her a parting bonus when I didn't need her services anymore. That was back in 2011, I think. I can tell you all about how to go about this as well, if you like.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 24, 2016

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

LibertyCat posted:

Good point. Since Islam+Men is a bad combination, clearly we should prevent immigration by Muslim Men.

What political cause was he advocating? Did he carry a "Free Palestine" flag, or demand Independence for Western Sydney?

Why is political violence a higher priority than criminal or domestic violence, when it has the least victims? You're attempting to proceed from false premises. I think you'll find this board will *aghem* arrest your progress from that point of origin.

e: btw people, I was a mere 300 metres away from the explosion on Crystal St when the bikies blew up a rival gang's clubhouse.

Amount of actual bombings carried out by terrorists in this country? 0

Amount of actual bombings in this country by other people? Many.

You all remember the car bomb guy in Queensland who got nicked with loads of explosives on his property? I don't forget.

Hilton bombing in Sydney? Car bombing outside police station in Melbourne 30 years ago?

We seem to have a problem with white men in this country blowing things up. Perhaps we should deport them.

e2: and ffs look at all this chauvinist poo poo. I hate this thread sometimes.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 24, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did anyone watch the Lateline interview this evening with Turnbull? bit of a trainwreck if i may say so. Arrogant man.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/oz_f/status/712915351726522368?s=09

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Why is political violence a higher priority than criminal or domestic violence, when it has the least victims? You're attempting to proceed from false premises. I think you'll find this board will *aghem* arrest your progress from that point of origin.

e: btw people, I was a mere 300 metres away from the explosion on Crystal St when the bikies blew up a rival gang's clubhouse.

Amount of actual bombings carried out by terrorists in this country? 0

Amount of actual bombings in this country by other people? Many.

You all remember the car bomb guy in Queensland who got nicked with loads of explosives on his property? I don't forget.

Hilton bombing in Sydney? Car bombing outside police station in Melbourne 30 years ago?

We seem to have a problem with white men in this country blowing things up. Perhaps we should deport them.

e2: and ffs look at all this chauvinist poo poo. I hate this thread sometimes.

White people do a terror too argument is as stupid as the we have homeless people in r country no immigrants till they have home argument.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

Just 3 per cent of voters think a company tax cut should be the government's top economic priority, according to a devastating poll that will put further pressure on the Coalition's pre-budget planning.

Treasurer Scott Morrison has indicated company tax cuts are on the agenda for the May 3 budget - rather than income tax relief - arguing the best way to drive economic growth was by reducing the tax paid by employers.

But the public is far less keen on that prospect, much preferring budget repair, education spending or personal income tax cuts to take top billing on the government's economic agenda.

The online Omnipoll survey taken for Sky News found 46 per cent of respondents said "fixing the budget" should be the government's first priority - especially among Coalition supporters.

Even among Labor voters, 36 per cent favoured budget repair, compared to 34 per cent who want more spending on education.

Only 3 per cent of voters said company tax cuts should be the government's first priority - a sentiment that was consistent on both sides of the political spectrum and across all age groups and income brackets.

OmniPoll co-founder Martin O'Shannessy, a former director of the influential Newspoll, told Sky News balancing the budget was "becoming a proxy" for voters' concerns about the economy.

"Even among Labor voters this concern for the budget balance and the economy is equally important with education, and normally education is way out there," he said.

The online poll of 1146 voters across Australia was taken last weekend, before Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull set down his double dissolution election threat to the Senate crossbenchers. It is the first major survey by OmniPoll, established by former Newspoll managers including Mr O'Shannessy.

The poll also reinforced perceptions that Mr Turnbull's honeymoon has come to an end, with 62 per cent of respondents saying the PM had not lived up to their expectations. But that was chiefly driven by Labor voters, with six in 10 Coalition supporters expressing confidence in Mr Turnbull's leadership.

"We're at that stage where the honeymoon should be over," Mr O'Shannessy said. "He's had six months of fantastic ratings and we've just seen him starting to drop off."

But the results are a public indictment on the government's plans for an election-year budget in which companies would enjoy a tax cut but workers would not.

Cabinet Secretary Arthur Sinodinos last weekend explained the "good effects" of cutting company tax, arguing it would encourage investment and greater productivity.

"At least 50 per cent of the impact of cutting company taxes goes in higher wages for workers. And higher employment," he told the ABC's Insiders program.

The idea is one of many promulgated by Mr Morrison in the formulation of the government's tax reform agenda. But, like the GST increase or changes to negative gearing and capital gains tax, the Prime Minister has hesitated to embrace it with both hands.

In December he said a major cut to the corporate tax rate would be an "enormous change" to the budget and would present an affordability problem. "It would stimulate growth, but it would have a cost to the budget … affordability is very important," he said.

Both Labor and the Coalition have previously offered in-principle endorsement for a gradual decline in the company tax rate from 30 per cent to 25 per cent. The Greens have said they would not support a cut to either company tax or income tax in the Senate.

I'm tipping this will become an even harder sell if they decide to pay for it by cutting funding for something popular like education or health.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Large percentages of people think "budget repair" should be a priority. A concept so nebulous as to have almost no meaning.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

BlindSite posted:

Nah thats cool man. I agree. Australia is the sole cause of islamic extremism. Never mind the literal hundreds of other causes starting with their own home grown bullshit. Its the evil of Australia.

Glad we could clear that up as if it has any impact on anything Id mentioned in my original post.

Well ofc Australia is not the sole cause of extremism, sorry for appearing to cast aspersions on the glorious homeland. But think about we're we've come from to get here. We have historically gone over to middle eastern countries, killed the people living there in wars we had no business in (if you want to take the Aquinas test of a "just war" that your Western Society TM is based on) and stopped them from coming here.

This approach has not worked! There has been at least one instance where Australia tried a different approach. After we hosed up Vietnam we let the people whose homes we destroyed (permanently, if we used agent orange) come here. How many vietnamese communist radical terrorists did we get? How many "military age males" did we let in? What was the economic benefit from all these new bakeries appearing?

Your common sense argument is just a knee jerk reaction based partially off your fear of the other and blind patriotism.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Budget repair is easy. Just go to bunnings and ask for the accounting section. Get some wood, economists and a few nails...

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
the actual common feature of the bad guys is stupid names so let's round up all those people

leyonhjelm? loving ridiculous get in the bin

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
is it pronounced Leon? Lion? Lay-on? and why the gently caress is there a j after an h get rid of him

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

LibertyCat posted:

Not gonna lie, if I had to choose between Di Natale and Trump, I'd pick Trump.

A Reasonable Position From A Reasonable Man.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'd have to see Trump in a turtleneck first.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

Of all the real, or perceived, differences between the prime minister and the treasurer, the one that is likely to matter most to Australians is about to come to a head.

In one week state premiers and treasurers will meet Malcolm Turnbull and Scott Morrison to find out whether the federal government is going to offer them any more money to deal with the hospitals and schools funding crisis that hits next year, and has been going to hit next year ever since Tony Abbott ripped $80bn out of projected hospitals and schools funding in the infamous budget of 2014.

As the Guardian revealed last month, Turnbull has been reassuring state premiers for some time that the commonwealth was going to stump up interim funding to tide them over while new long-term funding agreements are struck.

But for a long time Morrison has been consistently sending a totally different message, essentially that the states are on their own, saying things like: “I don’t think states are branch offices of the commonwealth. I think they are sovereign governments ... In no business in this country would anyone just accept someone walking into their office and saying the increase in cost is 8%, give me the cheque. We all have to manage our budgets. The states almost without an exception ... are in surplus at the present.”

Funding issues aside, the fact that the PM and Morrison can't seem to agree on something as important as this could mean we're in for a fun ride as we approach budget time.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
no one has ever played good cop bad cop before in the history of politics

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-24/adelaide-urban-sprawl-boundary/7272852?section=sa
I cut out a few paragraphs of Property Council and Family First whining for the sake of brevity.

quote:

A measure backed by the South Australian Parliament to limit Adelaide's urban sprawl will shrink house block sizes and drive up prices, critics have said.

The Legislative Council has approved introduction of a boundary through creation of an Environment and Food Production Area (EFPA).

Protection of the food and wine production areas to the north and south of Adelaide will also affect towns as far afield as Victor Harbor, Murray Bridge and Kapunda.

Government Upper House leader Kyam Maher said it was important to protect farmland and the rural landscape just beyond Adelaide.

"The EFPA will provide a 15-year supply of land for urban growth within greater Adelaide," he told Parliament.

"It will encourage building of new homes in our inner and middle-ring suburbs, something which market research shows is where more and more people want to live.

"Such infill development, compared to green field development, generates more jobs, costs less to service and provides more affordable living options."

South Australian Greens leader Mark Parnell said Adelaide's population of 1.3 million could quadruple within its existing footprint if housing density kept increasing.

"Adelaide will not continue to sprawl out into valuable farmland, chew up areas that could be used to grow food," he said.

"Adelaide is already one of the most sprawling and sparsely populated cities in the world, and there is plenty of space for expansion within the existing boundary."

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vladimir Poutine posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-24/adelaide-urban-sprawl-boundary/7272852?section=sa
I cut out a few paragraphs of Property Council and Family First whining for the sake of brevity.

Good.

Adelaides sprawl is absurd.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
It's pretty silly that a city of 1.3 million people stretches 100km north to south. All of the land immediately adjacent to Adelaide is some of the best farmland in the state too.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Good luck with actually maintaining a growth boundary. Melbourne's is routinely expanded to accommodate the best mates of the planning minister at any given time.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Solemn Sloth posted:

Good luck with actually maintaining a growth boundary. Melbourne's is routinely expanded to accommodate the best mates of the planning minister at any given time.

A growth boundary is the point where the developers can buy the land cheap and sell it once the politician in their pocket move the boundary.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Adelaide's urban sprawl was a big part of why I wanted to move away from it. With so much of it, and yet nothing to fill it because there isn't any industry, Adelaide just has interminable stretches of nothing. It would take me a half-hour train ride to get into the CBD from Salisbury, and there is basically nothing between those two points; it's just a half-hour of suburbs with absolutely no purpose beyond being suburbs.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Adelaide's urban sprawl was a big part of why I wanted to move away from it. With so much of it, and yet nothing to fill it because there isn't any industry, Adelaide just has interminable stretches of nothing. It would take me a half-hour train ride to get into the CBD from Salisbury, and there is basically nothing between those two points; it's just a half-hour of suburbs with absolutely no purpose beyond being suburbs.

Yeah, I like living here a lot as long as I'm either living in the CBD or in the hills, but the burbs in between can get pretty barren.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Birdstrike posted:

is it pronounced Leon? Lion? Lay-on? and why the gently caress is there a j after an h get rid of him

It's pronounced "bawbag"

Anidav posted:

Budget repair is easy. Just go to bunnings and ask for the accounting section. Get some wood, economists and a few nails...

This is a good post

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH_7_XRfTMs

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

What does cultural Marxism even loving mean, I'm sick of seeing it thrown all over the place as the new favourite buzzword catchphrase by people that I'm sure have no clue what the gently caress it means either.

I mean, I can obviously gather from context that it means "anything vaguely left of me or opposing me in the culture wars that I don't like" in practice, but it has pretensions of trying to mean something more specific and intellectual than that.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's basically a pejorative term for critical theory, isn't it? That's what the Uhlmann article seemed to imply.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

What does cultural Marxism even loving mean, I'm sick of seeing it thrown all over the place as the new favourite buzzword catchphrase by people that I'm sure have no clue what the gently caress it means either.

it means "I'm a Nazi who believes that the Jews invented feminism so Hot Aryan Babes don't want to go out with me", hth

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Hbomberguy has a funny video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYQo6LI3Y7c

It started out as an anti-Semetic conspiracy theory and has (partly) morphed from there into a belief that the left wing is trying to destroy Western values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

BBJoey posted:

it means "I'm a Nazi who believes that the Jews invented feminism so Hot Aryan Babes don't want to go out with me", hth

lol

• Locked thread