Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

-Troika- posted:

The idea is stupid on the face of it. "hmm let's stick needles into people's body this will relieve pain"

I am guessing that it started more as "I am trying to exquisitely torture this man, but when I poke here it has the opposite effect."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I am guessing that it started more as "I am trying to exquisitely torture this man, but when I poke here it has the opposite effect."

You're confusing medicine with rough sex again, AA.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

You're confusing medicine with rough sex again, AA.

:yikes:

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm looking for academic sources, ideally theory pieces or texts used in med schools. I got one excellent text, How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine, earlier and I'm hoping for similar.
Here's a link to a system used in several teaching hospitals for medical students to use as an appraisal tool for publications. Usually, they're required to present several of these per year.

http://libguides.rug.nl/CAT_guide/pico

Hope it helps

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Here's a link to a system used in several teaching hospitals for medical students to use as an appraisal tool for publications. Usually, they're required to present several of these per year.

http://libguides.rug.nl/CAT_guide/pico

Hope it helps

I love you.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
Well it looks like labeling is going to be the de facto law of the land. Thanks to the ignorance of Vermont's voters.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

FDA may sue and claim field occupation.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

FDA may sue and claim field occupation.

Yeah, labeling is a quintessential preemption area. In fact, the FDA labeling organic statute has a specific preemption section. 21 CFR 100.1(c)(4) and Turek v General Mills are some key interpretations.

Vermont's law seems pretty ripe for a challenge.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kalman posted:

Yeah, labeling is a quintessential preemption area. In fact, the FDA labeling organic statute has a specific preemption section. 21 CFR 100.1(c)(4) and Turek v General Mills are some key interpretations.

Vermont's law seems pretty ripe for a challenge.

Vermont's organic laws are being threatened by the FDA just as they ripen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They should've used some Monsanto fertilizers to speed up the process.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So my former rep in the Minnesota state house (I moved out of her district) wrote this about GMO labelling: http://www.governing.com/gov-institute/voices/col-scientist-lawmaker-case-gmo-labeling.html

To me it sounds like instead of dealing with any actual problems caused by GMOs, she's just saying it's easier to scare everybody. I mean, going to the rBGH example, the problem with that isn't with the GMO, it's with the effect on the cow. Same with roundup ready, it's not that the GMO itself did anything bad, it just enables something else. It just seems... lazy. But the only reason I even bother to post it is that she's an actual scientist, with a PhD in biophysics and has actually worked in research in teaching (until gender discrimination in her department caused to run for office). It was back in the 70s that she was educated so obviously she's not up on everything that's happened, but I'd think that she'd at least have the ability to see the problem with her argument.

Or, since she's wrong on some other factual things, it's possible that she's just wrong on this, I don't think her PhD makes her infallible, just wondering if this was some kind of new novel argument.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You know, that was actually completely unintentional on my part?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

So my former rep in the Minnesota state house (I moved out of her district) wrote this about GMO labelling: http://www.governing.com/gov-institute/voices/col-scientist-lawmaker-case-gmo-labeling.html

Or, since she's wrong on some other factual things, it's possible that she's just wrong on this, I don't think her PhD makes her infallible, just wondering if this was some kind of new novel argument.

Nope. She fails to address any of the actual concerns with labeling laws. Namely that it implies a health risk and potentially kills a useful tool, like what happened to irradiated produce, and that it is a more a tool of anti-information than it is actually informative.

The rBST example falls flat on it's face because they want a mandatory general label for all GMO products, not an optional negative label for a specific one.

When she says

quote:

These are some of the reasons why GMO labeling seems to me, as a scientist, to be a reasonable response to consumers' health and environmental concerns.
she doesn't actually lay any evidence for why GMO labeling would be a good thing. She talks about something that wasn't at all equivalent and for which her only evidence of it being good is that consumers preferred it, and she talks about the issues with Roundup (without talking about the issues of not-roundup, displaying status-quo bias).

quote:

And it's hard to make the case that labeling would be some kind of significant threat to the food industry, given that 64 countries already mandate it and continue to thrive.
This is knocking down a strawman. No one is saying it will kill the food industry, or even the agricultural one.

quote:

Indeed, industry opposition is far from universal.
No poo poo. Find me anything that industry opposes universally. Some will want to curry favor with popular opinion, others will see that it hurts their competitors more than themselves. Still others will let there personal opinion color their professional one. This isn't evidence of anything.

quote:

It is already federal law that anything labeled "organic" must be GMO-free
Yes, organic laws are stupid. That doesn't mean we should implement new stupid arbitrary laws that confuse people.

And the Upton Sinclair quote at the end is just a fancy way of calling everyone who disagrees with her a shill who's opinion is purely based on monetary interest. Which is what you have to do when you fail to present any argument of any substance.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 20, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Etalommi nails every part about why her argument is bad. The big one in my eyes is that if rBST is bad, then label freaking rBST. Overinclusiveness and vagueness are the greatest problems of GMO and organics labels. Also,

quote:

In 2003 she introduced a bill to repeal the ban on first-cousin marriage in Minnesota, but it died in committee.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Reality's latest anti-GMO bias: 11% to 57% Monarch extinction likelihood over 20 years.

Nature's a totally corrupt publication though, probably receiving secret anti-GMO money from the Obama administration. Which, incidentally, has issued a strategy to reverse the so-called Monarch and bee declines. It's Solyndra all over again, folks!! Obama wastin' my taxes!!

Also, does anybody wanna read my company's internal call to donate to their SuperPAC? I don't think I have the pro-TPP form letter one anymore, but I've got the one on GMO labelling. If anybody's curious about the nuts-and-bolts of how companies do political engagement post-Citizens United.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Go away, Mofabio.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Go away, Mofabio.

Since I posted about this last, the US Fish and Wildlife Service has put the Monarchs on the endangered species list, Obama has specifically named the loss of milkweed in corn and soybean production as the primary stressor to the Monarch population, and even endorsed ideas floated in this thread (wild Midwest prairie habitat expansion).

It's pretty funny watching a thread of smart, science-oriented people put their fingers in their ears about it, though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mofabio posted:

Since I posted about this last, the US Fish and Wildlife Service has put the Monarchs on the endangered species list, Obama has specifically named the loss of milkweed in corn and soybean production as the primary stressor to the Monarch population, and even endorsed ideas floated in this thread (wild Midwest prairie habitat expansion).

It's pretty funny watching a thread of smart, science-oriented people put their fingers in their ears about it, though.

What you apparently aren't grasping is that this has nothing to do with GMO, other than living things are involved.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mofabio posted:

No one's putting their fingers in their ears about it. Mitigating habitat loss is a good way to deal with the issue. Whining about GMOs is not.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

fishmech posted:

What you apparently aren't grasping is that this has nothing to do with GMO, other than living things are involved.

So, Obama listed the loss of milkweed in corn and soybean crops as the first primary stressor of monarch populations.

Is this thread still pretending to not know that American corn and soybean is almost entirely GMO?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
It's not GMOs. At best it's herbicide resistant GMOs but the root of the issue is the use of herbicides. The solution is to limit herbicides or mitigate the effects of them. Talking generally about GMOs as a technology includes many present and future strains that have nothing whatsoever to do with herbicides or milkweed. It's disingenuous and risks vilifying a useful technology.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mofabio posted:

So, Obama listed the loss of milkweed in corn and soybean crops as the first primary stressor of monarch populations.

This has absolutely nothing to do with GMOs.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

fishmech posted:

This has absolutely nothing to do with GMOs.

Again, fingers in the ears.

How are corn and soy production both primary stressors, if not for their recent conversion to GMO? I'm honestly curious how this works on your planet.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mofabio posted:

Is this thread still pretending to not know that American corn and soybean is almost entirely GMO?
Of course we're aware of the ubiquity of GMO corn and soybean.

If DuPont had invented an herbicide that would kill milkweed and not corn, Monarch buttertly habitat would be in the same condition. It's not a GMO problem.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mofabio posted:

Again, fingers in the ears.

How are corn and soy production both primary stressors, if not for their recent conversion to GMO? I'm honestly curious how this works on your planet.

This has literally nothing to do with GMO.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Mofabio posted:

That has nothing to with the crops being GMO or not. It has to do with total land area under cultivation. It would likely be even worse if they were using lower producing conventional strains. You gigantic nonce.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

If DuPont had invented an herbicide that would kill milkweed and not corn, Monarch buttertly habitat would be in the same [bad] condition.

Yes... you realize you're describing Roundup-ready GMO corn, right?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

KiteAuraan posted:

That has nothing to with the crops being GMO or not. It has to do with total land area under cultivation. It would likely be even worse if they were using lower producing conventional strains. You gigantic nonce.

Might wanna look up nonce, I don't think it means what you think it means.

Mofabio posted:

And he's saying it's something that could just as easily happen with a non-GMO corn strain if you banned GMOs.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mofabio posted:

There's a distinction here that you clearly are incapable if grasping. Farmers don't want milkweed.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

KiteAuraan posted:

Declines in milkweed abundance are well documented and highly correlated with the adoption of herbicide-tolerant genetically modified corn and soybeans6, which now constitute 89% and 94% of these crops, respectively, in the U.S.

How much is Obama paying these corrupt scientists to lie???

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Milkweed was actually in a boom state for quite sometime, because it turns out it grows best within and right beside farmland as opposed to the natural state of the area. Because of this, there was a lot more monarch food for a while, so what we're likely seeing is a closer return to what their populations were like before widespread cultivation allowed milkweed to gorw much better.

We went over this last time you kramered in and started hootin' and hollerin' about GMOs and your inability to comprehend statistics.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Might wanna look up nonce, I don't think it means what you think it means.

And he's saying it's something that could just as easily happen with a non-GMO corn strain if you banned GMOs.

I don't disagree, but that's all theoretical. GMO corn and soy actually exist, and I'm talking about the effects of those.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mofabio posted:

Are you really this obtuse?

Milkweed has long been considered an intractable weed that farmers wanted to be rid of. People have been working on just such an herbicide for years. Roundup-ready corn got there first, but such a product would have existed eventually regardless. Nobody thought that Monarchs would be threatened by such a product.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You already linked that article, you colossal rear end in a top hat. Setting aside the sampling and projection problems, it does none of the things you seem to wish it to do. We've already discussed the milkweed problem's separation from the use of GM crops. We've already discussed the mitigation steps being taken. We've already answered all of your problems. You ignore everything we say. There's no benefit in further communication, beyond establishing a record of your intellectual dishonesty for other people who come into the thread. GO AWAY.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Mofabio posted:

And what's the solution? Farmer's goal is to fill 100% of his field with plants of his choice and 0% other plants. He'll get as close to 0% milkweed as possible, within the legal and economic and technological framework he's got.

The GMO crop works perfectly for its purpose. The purpose might be socially lovely, but that's not a scientific shortcoming. It makes corn, it keeps fields weed-free, and there are no unintended side-effects. The loss of Monarch butterflies is a tragedy of the commons, not a lack of safety/control in GMO technology.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

fishmech posted:

Milkweed was actually in a boom state for quite sometime, because it turns out it grows best within and right beside farmland as opposed to the natural state of the area. Because of this, there was a lot more monarch food for a while, so what we're likely seeing is a closer return to what their populations were like before widespread cultivation allowed milkweed to gorw much better.

I guess that's why they're on the endangered species list now, and have an 11 to 57% chance of extinction in 20 years.

This thread honestly believes GMOs have no effect on Monarch populations. Wow.

edit:

Infinite Karma posted:

there are no unintended side-effects

quoting for posterity. you guys should make this the thread title.

Mofabio fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 25, 2016

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

You already linked that article, you colossal rear end in a top hat. Setting aside the sampling and projection problems, it does none of the things you seem to wish it to do. We've already discussed the milkweed problem's separation from the use of GM crops. We've already discussed the mitigation steps being taken. We've already answered all of your problems. You ignore everything we say. There's no benefit in further communication, beyond establishing a record of your intellectual dishonesty for other people who come into the thread. GO AWAY.

Calm down.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Nobody thought that Monarchs would be threatened by such a product.

I agree! Good thing there were no unintended side-effects.

Crop protection research has shifted to HT GMOs, not targeted herbicides. So your weird counter-example is pretty laughable, given that industry research is currently chasing Monsanto's market and post-neonicotinoid pesticides.

Weren't you the chemist who pretended to be an industrial safety specialist?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mofabio posted:

I guess that's why they're on the endangered species list now, and have an 11 to 57% chance of extinction in 20 years.

This thread honestly believes GMOs have no effect on Monarch populations. Wow.

Yes that's why.

Because there's no actual evidence of GMO being the cause, outside of your desperate attempt to flail against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

In what universe is a broadleaf weed killer successfully killing broadleaf weeds a side-effect. That's the effect, dude. It's the only effect. The problem is 100% on purpose.

Again, what's the solution? Ban herbicides? Ban GMOs? Ban removing weeds from farms? Expose yourself for the pure Luddite you are.

• Locked thread