Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

I haven't hacked my 3DS since the big hack happened like 5 months ago; is there any reason to update the hacks or should I stay where I am?

Do you feel like you need a faster boot for you 3DS? If not there aren't any major reasons to change to al9h currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Abu Dave posted:

I haven't hacked my 3DS since the big hack happened like 5 months ago; is there any reason to update the hacks or should I stay where I am?

Are you unable to play multiplayer?
Are you unable get in and purchase items in the eShop?
Are you being forced to update your system?

If you answered no to all 3, you probably don't need to update anything yet.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just stay where you are unless you have half a day to waste to decrease your boot times. If that doesn't bother you then you're fine.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, ignore me, lol

Though I got A9LH because I like breaking my system as far as it can be broken. Until we get to do some fun stuff that getting bootrom stuff might help with I'm probably not going to touch my 3DS too much now.

Flagrama fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 23, 2016

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Is there a version of httpwn (or similar) that works on 9.2? That page says it only works on 9.6-10.7.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately httpwn works off of the http certificates that were last updated in 9.6, so earlier versions can't use it.

But if you're on 9.2 and have kernel access anyways, you can use Free Multi Patcher instead. It does basically the same thing, in a modular patch format. You can disable automatic update downloads, enable a firmware spoof and patch region free.

To use the eShop on 9.2, tho, you'll still have to go through the HANS eShop shortcut, since the 9.2 eShop app is so outdated now that it tries to use dead URLs to fetch its content. HANS patches that.

vvvvvvvv
Probably for 9.2 sysNAND access, not emuNAND

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 23, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why not just update your emunand to the latest firmware and not worry about it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Considering how easy backing up your emuNAND is, there's really no reason not to update, except from if people are saying a new update is breaking cfw

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure knowing whether an update breaks CFW is as simple as looking up if it updated NATIVE_FIRM. So even without anybody else saying so you should be able to tell whether it is safe to update or not.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Andrast posted:

Why not just update your emunand to the latest firmware and not worry about it?

I have a Supercard DSTWO+, which functions as a Gateway clone (plus as a regular DS flashcart which works on 3DS) so I use my sysNAND, which is still at 9.2, to run Gateway mode.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks guys im fine with what I have.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
What do you do when you install a .cia and it doesnt show up on the home menu? Can't reinstall since it thinks it already is

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Considering how easy backing up your emuNAND is, there's really no reason not to update, except from if people are saying a new update is breaking cfw

90% of the time when I backup my emuNAND I get a CRC error a random %age through.
It will eventually get through the whole thing without erroring but it's pretty annoying.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

~Coxy posted:

90% of the time when I backup my emuNAND I get a CRC error a random %age through.
It will eventually get through the whole thing without erroring but it's pretty annoying.

Uh, I'd test that micro SD card to be safe. Maybe get a new one, they're dirt cheap and on sale all the time.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Only problem I have with ReiNAND is that sometimes it crashes when trying to boot but I'm guessing that's something to expect. I also have some slow boot times but it's not as if I'm in a rush to do anything.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

African AIDS cum posted:

What do you do when you install a .cia and it doesnt show up on the home menu? Can't reinstall since it thinks it already is

Is it out of region? Are you using Reinand? Out of region is only baked into RxTools IIRC, so you'll need to run bootNTR or freemultipatcher once to get those to show up on the home menu.

m2pt5 posted:

I have a Supercard DSTWO+, which functions as a Gateway clone (plus as a regular DS flashcart which works on 3DS) so I use my sysNAND, which is still at 9.2, to run Gateway mode.

Honestly at this point about the only thing a gateway card does for you is allow you to run cheats, everything else is supplanted by CFW.

tell me you at least have an emunand

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Honestly at this point about the only thing a gateway card does for you is allow you to run cheats, everything else is supplanted by CFW

NTR lets you use cheat plugins.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 24, 2016

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Is it out of region? Are you using Reinand? Out of region is only baked into RxTools IIRC, so you'll need to run bootNTR or freemultipatcher once to get those to show up on the home menu.

Honestly at this point about the only thing a gateway card does for you is allow you to run cheats, everything else is supplanted by CFW.

Yeah thats probably it. I guess I use cakesFW or something

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

I do. 9.2 sysNAND, 10.7 emuNAND, which I boot with rxTools. I only use the sysNAND for the DSTWO, the emuNAND is for everything else.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Andrast posted:

NTR lets you use cheat plugins.

It does, but you actually have to know a little bit of C to make a plugin and finding the proper memregions is a gigantic pain in the rear end even if you're just using a debugger (to say nothing of 04 and 09 opcodes not working).

Having an o3ds with a downgraded browser for spider or a gateway for gateshark cheats is waaaay easier.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

~Coxy posted:

On the 3DS itself? If so, consider using emuNAND tool on PC and see if it does the same thing.

And I'd only bother seriously considering NTR cheats for something that has a plugin made already, probably by that Chinese site.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Any suggestions for a good cheap DS flash cart that just plays DS backups? I don't need homebrew capability or anything on it since I'm using the 3DS itself for that.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I got an r4i gold for that and it's been great. drag and drop a couple folders and files to the root of the microsd then boot it from the Game Cart on the home screen.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The guide I followed has me install CakesFW. If I have it up and running and want to install rx tools will I need to install FBI again into rx tools?

Still confused by this stuff

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I just got the HBC installed on the vWii partition of the WiiU. I'm trying to get a usb loader to work, is there a recommended app for that?

Also, will some HDD work with just a single usb plug or will It require a second for power? The HDD does get recognized when I plug it in (asks if I want to format it on the WiiU)

shaitan fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 25, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

hi i installed homebrew on my 3ds recently. im trying to use the eshop now to buy something, but whenever i select the eshop through homebrew launcher it freezes with the bottom screen yellow

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Quick question - can you do this 2.1.0 downgrade with a SDXC card? The FAQ says it's OK but someone on Reddit said "SDXC support wasn't added until sometime after 6.0. I updated to 9.0 and formatted it to fat32 and it worked perfectly" when their card wasn't being detected, so I'm a little concerned. Otherwise I'll just use a 4GB card or something, but 64GB cards are reallllly cheap right now.

edit: forgot to mention this is a new 3ds xl

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 26, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

African AIDS cum posted:

The guide I followed has me install CakesFW. If I have it up and running and want to install rx tools will I need to install FBI again into rx tools?

Still confused by this stuff

Nope it should exist within sysnand/emunand wherever you installed it. The difference between the two cfw is a loader you launch

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

hi i installed homebrew on my 3ds recently. im trying to use the eshop now to buy something, but whenever i select the eshop through homebrew launcher it freezes with the bottom screen yellow

Do you have cfw setup? What system version are you on?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Quick question - can you do this 2.1.0 downgrade with a SDXC card? The FAQ says it's OK but someone on Reddit said "SDXC support wasn't added until sometime after 6.0. I updated to 9.0 and formatted it to fat32 and it worked perfectly" when their card wasn't being detected, so I'm a little concerned. Otherwise I'll just use a 4GB card or something, but 64GB cards are reallllly cheap right now.

edit: forgot to mention this is a new 3ds xl

I used a 64GB card formatted to FAT32 just fine throughout the entire guide, twice.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

flyboi posted:

Do you have cfw setup? What system version are you on?

I wasn't using it for anything and installed on a whim so i just updated my system software and lost the exploit

RIP gay marriage in Fire Emblem until it gets cracked again

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Josuke Higashikata posted:

On the 3DS itself? If so, consider using emuNAND tool on PC and see if it does the same thing.

And I'd only bother seriously considering NTR cheats for something that has a plugin made already, probably by that Chinese site.

Nah, this is using emuNAND tool on Windows. I tried both the original one and the newer fully-featured one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Would anyone know how to edit an EmuNAND after extracting it? Rxtools just kept screaming a red screen at me when I tried to boot it by BrowserHax, so I took everything off the card (that I could visually see anyway. Wherein lies the problem) and moved back to square one. That ultimately didn't even work and then I found out it was much simpler and more reliable to boot up using
https://3ds.reboot.ms

So what I'm hopefully trying to do is open up EmuNAND and restore the extracted files. But I can't seem to find a way to open the dumped Bin.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

So, this already went wrong for you and all but for future reference if you install homebrew you should be able to access the eshop normally through the home menu. I can, at least.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

flyboi posted:

Nope it should exist within sysnand/emunand wherever you installed it. The difference between the two cfw is a loader you launch

So theoretically I can just put the rxtools files on my sd card and launch it? I'm trying to find a guide to setup rxtools and all the ones are assuming one is starting with a stock 3ds.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hardmod NAND restores are not something I can recommend to most folks. I went through a range of emotions this past hour.

Edit: Oh hey, system works again. Yay! :toot:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 26, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Congrats! Now leave your dirty mitts off the A9LH installation once it works. There hasn't been any big improvements or innovations since the first stable inception yet, anyways. :(

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Congrats! Now leave your dirty mitts off the A9LH installation once it works. There hasn't been any big improvements or innovations since the first stable inception yet, anyways. :(

Well first I'm system transferring anyway onto another A9LH'd 3DS. I don't quiet trust the wifi on it. Shame since it's a FE Fates XL. :smith:

The big improvement for me is that safe9lhinstaller doesn't let you update stage 2 without prompt and has a way to get back to the main menu now. The first release had neither and I was boned regardless. It sucked since the full install was on the start button and stage 2 update was on select. Why put a dangerous thing so close to the thing you need? Oh well, no matter now. Aurora updated it and it's not an issue now.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 27, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I need to modify a .sav to work with my reformatted 2DS, anyone know how? I have an example of .sav data from the same game on the new system, but trying to copy/paste over the old .sav just gives "This save data is corrupted"

I really don't want to lose all that data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So installing a9hl with aureiNAND was actually super easy. Took around 3 hours, but 45 minutes of that was waiting for the one click otp setup to do its thing and another 30 minutes was because my internet didn't want to cooperate. Still! Have prepatched sysNAND, and I'm on 10.7 since that's what my emuNAND was on. Followed the Plailect guide, which was super simple and easy.

Anything else I need to do or that's cool/interesting with a9hl now that I've got it all set up?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 27, 2016

• Locked thread