Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Complicated a lot by the fact that there are strong suspicions there is a supermassive black hole in the center of the galaxy. That sort of even messes with what it means to 'be' in that 'place'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Earwicker posted:

if you were on a planet orbiting a star in or near the galactic center, would the night sky still be dark?

While it would be a lot brighter than a typical Earth night, it still wouldn't be as bright as daytime would be, A long time ago I read an essay by someone studying far away planets, and they gave an estimate that if the Earth were to have its solar system moved to galactic center area, the total light from the stars visible in the sky would make it so that a clear night with no moon would be about 1-3 times as bright as a current night with a full moon, but it would still pale in comparison to when the sun is out. You would however have a good deal of stars that remained visible during the day time, due to the sheer nearness of them, again assuming a clear day.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If a person donates a kidney, whose insurance pays for the donor's surgery?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Danger Mahoney posted:

The normal practice is that the recipient's insurance pays for medical care for the donor, and usually also pays for transporting the donor from home out to where the transplant will happen, if the donor and recipient don't live in the same general area. They prefer that when there's a live donor situation, the kidney gets taken out and transplanted int he recipient in the same hospital building to minimize complications.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I want to find the vintage video intermixed in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT7gyy4tyxY

Any ideas how I'd find it? I don't really know how to go about it because a still won't likely pick up a similar image on google image search which was my first idea.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Danger Mahoney posted:

The recipient. The recipient's insurance will also cover the work-up (sometimes there's a limit on how many potential donors they'll screen) and they'll usually cover any complications that come up for the donor in the 3-6 months after surgery but after that the donor is on their own. In most cases the insurer is Medicare because everyone suffering from kidney failure is covered by Medicare regardless of age, so the donor's kind of paying for it with their tax dollars too.

To add on to fishmech, it's not at all necessary to have the donor and recipient in the same hospital. None of the people involved in my kidney chain were transported anywhere. Kidneys transport pretty well in contrast to, say, lungs.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I changed jobs recently and didn't get a COBRA notice from my old employer, so I sent the HR lady an email asking wtf. She said that since it's a small company they aren't required to do that. I looked it up, and that does seem to be the case. What's the logic behind the small business exemption, though? Since the insured has to pay the entire premium under COBRA, what more expense would the company incur beyond the time it takes to send someone some forms after separation?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm prepping for Summer, in California that means hot weather and the government forbidding you from watering your lawn. Roaches love that poo poo. I'm gonna do some preventative work, sealing cracks and whatnot but I was wondering about bait stations. Would they actively lure roaches from the outside to inside or would they only attract those who came in anyways?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Question about Chrome (couldn't find a relevant SH/SC thread):

I moved my entire Chrome User Data folder from one Windows 10 account to another (from one AppData to another). Everything seems to be working fine, except that my cookies aren't working. I can see them all in the Chrome options, but the login cookies (SA Forums for example) don't seem to be working, as they are forcing me to log in again. They're still working fine on my other Windows account. Any ideas?

vvv Awesome, didn't see that thread. Thanks!

Jerry Seinfeld fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 25, 2016

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
If you get no help here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457316

(The Google Chrome thread.)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I was randomly thinking of this flash game from a while back I can't remember the name of.

I think it was on Newgrounds and it was this survival horror game where you had to sneak around a house to avoid making any sounds so the creepy serial killer wouldn't rush up the stairs and kill you. There was one point where you had to fish a key out of a rotting head in a toilet and not scream, it was kind of a hosed up game. I think it was on Newgrounds around mid-2000s.

Any idea what I'm talking about? I think it was titled something like 'Uninvited'.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I was randomly thinking of this flash game from a while back I can't remember the name of.

I think it was on Newgrounds and it was this survival horror game where you had to sneak around a house to avoid making any sounds so the creepy serial killer wouldn't rush up the stairs and kill you. There was one point where you had to fish a key out of a rotting head in a toilet and not scream, it was kind of a hosed up game. I think it was on Newgrounds around mid-2000s.

Any idea what I'm talking about? I think it was titled something like 'Uninvited'.

Skip around in the videos in this playlist, they're almost all from Newgrounds and I think I watched a playthrough of the game in question:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL26B36130624FCAF5

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I'm a mechanical engineering student and I'm looking to design a real thing (a guitar stand) to try and exercise my analysis chops a little bit.

I'm using solidworks to try and optimize things, but I've run into a snag. I'm using wood as my material, but solidworks (and most other programs like it, it seems) has issues analyzing wood, since it has different strengths and properties depending on its orientation; they're better for things like metal where there's no grain to deal with.

Are there any programs out there for cheap that can do this, or should I just switch to an easier material?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I have a cheapo MP3 player that uses a Li-ion battery (3.7v 1000mAh). It's slowly losing it's ability to hold a charge. I used to get 15-16 hours of use and now it's less than eight. I can't seem to find an exact replacement. The 3.7v is easy, but the 1000mAh is the problem. I can find ones that are either higher or lower.

How much difference can this make?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Enourmo posted:

So I'm a mechanical engineering student and I'm looking to design a real thing (a guitar stand) to try and exercise my analysis chops a little bit.

I'm using solidworks to try and optimize things, but I've run into a snag. I'm using wood as my material, but solidworks (and most other programs like it, it seems) has issues analyzing wood, since it has different strengths and properties depending on its orientation; they're better for things like metal where there's no grain to deal with.

Are there any programs out there for cheap that can do this, or should I just switch to an easier material?

Can you mark it as a metal and estimate the properties along the necessary axes?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have a cheapo MP3 player that uses a Li-ion battery (3.7v 1000mAh). It's slowly losing it's ability to hold a charge. I used to get 15-16 hours of use and now it's less than eight. I can't seem to find an exact replacement. The 3.7v is easy, but the 1000mAh is the problem. I can find ones that are either higher or lower.

How much difference can this make?
You do not need to match that. Higher is better; more hours of use.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Flipperwaldt posted:

Cool. Thanks.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So the millenial generation is already over-stretched in date ranges, going from roughly 1980-85 to 1995-2005. What's the next buzzword?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it'll be invented when millennials need a word to complain about "kids these days"

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
I've already seen "Generation Z" being used to describe the newest crop.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer

SIHappiness posted:

I've already seen "Generation Z" being used to describe the newest crop.

Probably a good plan with the impending election. Not like we'll need any other generation names after.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The term for the new generation isn't going to be determined for a long time, in the same way the previous generations weren't until they were old enough to have kids.

It'll be interesting to see what they'll be thought of, but claiming now is a terrible idea.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Obamababies

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Flipperwaldt posted:

One thing to keep in mind, of course, is that you gotta get a battery that's physically sized to still fit in the device. A 2000 mah battery does no good if the case can't close over it.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Enourmo posted:

Solidworks can handle ansitropic materials: In the materials editor, copy the wood you want to use to the custom materials library (or make a new a new one), then change the model type to 'linear elastic orthotropic'. Realistically though you should just be taking the lowest of the values and analyzing it as an isotropic material as there is rarely a case where you will be designing that close to the yield limit of a material (though you should still take the material orientation into account).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

TheLastManStanding posted:

Solidworks can handle ansitropic materials: In the materials editor, copy the wood you want to use to the custom materials library (or make a new a new one), then change the model type to 'linear elastic orthotropic'. Realistically though you should just be taking the lowest of the values and analyzing it as an isotropic material as there is rarely a case where you will be designing that close to the yield limit of a material (though you should still take the material orientation into account).

i completely skipped over that dropdown menu, thanks. :doh:

yeah this is kind of my first thing more involved than "make a sketch" so i'm kinda figuring everything out as I go.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
When pirates would beach their ships intentionally to clean barnacles off (I think it's called careening) how would they get them back in the water?

Edit: The ships, not the barnacles.

Robokomodo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 26, 2016

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Robokomodo posted:

When pirates would beach their ships intentionally to clean barnacles off (I think it's called careening) how would they get them back in the water?

The tide.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Shortest drydock period ever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

The term for the new generation isn't going to be determined for a long time, in the same way the previous generations weren't until they were old enough to have kids.

It'll be interesting to see what they'll be thought of, but claiming now is a terrible idea.

it doesn't take nearly as long as that. its determined once they become a demographic that can be marketed to

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Robokomodo posted:

The barnacles would be so heavy and haggard that the ship would sit higher in the water and they could just stick it in reverse.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Earwicker posted:

it doesn't take nearly as long as that. its determined once they become a demographic that can be marketed to

I'm British, despite recommendations and the law we have kids pretty drat early. :colbert:

(More seriously you're right, it's just that I think the current generation won't be named for another 8-12 years minimum.)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

stubblyhead posted:

Shortest drydock period ever.

You beach it, then tie it to some handy palm trees or stakes you drive into the ground so it doesn't float off until you want it to.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I'm looking for a specific episode of the TV series "The walking dead"

I know its a recent series, but all I know about it is it ends with a shot of a wall that is moving slightly suggesting it is failing, if I remember right the wall is a green color but take that with a grain of salt, the wall is surrounding a town where the heroes are living and recently have led a large group of zombies away from the town by making them follow them in cars.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Can anyone think of a type of flower that's a similar shape to an elephant's ears?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Can anyone think of a type of flower that's a similar shape to an elephant's ears?

Could you be a bit more specific? There are are several hundred trees that have elephant ears, but I've never heard of elephant ears applied to flowers.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's for a craft thing, I'm making a kind of plant elephant and I want to make the ears flowers. I could make them up entirely but if I do that they might not end up recognizable as flowers. If I can look at some flowers that look a little like elephant ears then it'll give me a better idea of how to do it, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Organza Quiz posted:

It's for a craft thing, I'm making a kind of plant elephant and I want to make the ears flowers. I could make them up entirely but if I do that they might not end up recognizable as flowers. If I can look at some flowers that look a little like elephant ears then it'll give me a better idea of how to do it, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

All I can think of are those broad orchid petals. I'll ask my mother in law when we go over there for Easter dinner. She's like grand wizard of the garden club.

e: wife piped up with giant calla lilies.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 27, 2016

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Does it have to be a flower? Otherwise I'd say Alocasia or maybe cauliflower leaves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

pylb posted:

Does it have to be a flower? Otherwise I'd say Alocasia or maybe cauliflower leaves?

It doesn't have to be a flower, I'd just like it to be something bright and colourful instead of something green since a lot of the rest of it is green or brown.