Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pratt2112 posted:

Thank you, Commando o9

:thurman:

Please stick around, you are already a million times better than the last new guy who talked about belts a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

Yes, I even edited my post to add more context. He was referring to THIS forum HERE ON SA as the "chaos engine". NOT that "dead" forum. Not sure where he got the "industry only" part from. But if you go to the chaosengine.com, there isn't a SINGLE thing about this Star Citizen hilarity there.

Are you 100% certain?

I don't think their secret posts show up on the public search tool there

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
This actually makes 8Ace ten times more mysterious. Is there an industry-only secret forum that Derek the notorious indie dev knows nothing about?

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

D_Smart posted:

Welcome commando!!

Greetings! o9

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

D_Smart posted:

Yes, I even edited my post to add more context. He was referring to THIS forum HERE ON SA as the "chaos engine". NOT that "dead" forum. Not sure where he got the "industry only" part from. But if you go to the chaosengine.com, there isn't a SINGLE thing about this Star Citizen hilarity there.

there's a private forum though, and they have a vetting process for everyone who gets access to it. Its real Derek.

quote:

First, welcome aboard. Second, please take part in the “I’ve Arrived” thread in this forum. At the top of the thread you’ll see a poll listing the most prominent geographic areas for the games industry. This is a repeated topic of interest for our members, so we’ve made the poll permanent. Vote for the geographic region where you work. Feel free to also make a post in this thread announcing your membership. We ask that you at least make one post here; even it’s just a single letter. After that, if you simply want to ‘lurk’ that’s fine by us :)

If you have time, we also ask that every new member clicks on ‘Company Database’ at the top of the page, (another private membership feature). Type in your company’s name and make sure there is an existing record. If there isn’t, then add one. This is incredibly useful for members looking for new jobs, or researching companies by country/region etc. Please help us keep the database up to date.

There are three forum sections on the index page, The Games Industry, Announcements and Private Forums. All forums except for Private Forums are open and viewable by public members. Anything posted in the Private Forums can only be read by other private members.

As you probably already know we restrict our membership for your benefit. We don’t allow management so you may speak openly without the fear of reprisal, we don’t allow recruiters/HR so you aren’t spammed for jobs you don’t want, the public so we’re troll free, marketing so the forums aren’t spammed and journalists so nothing you post will be re-printed or made public.

Please note that we do have a few members from the above fields on TCE. When we first started, we were less strict with our rules and let some people onboard in the interests of diversity. We also have some early members from the Fatbabies forum who were longtime members known to us and are utterly trustworthy. If you have a problem with any of our membership, see ‘Membership Complaints’ below.

Membership also entitles you to ‘vouch’ for additional members, please read the Vouching FAQ in this forum for more information.

Anonymity is assured on TCE. We do not keep a record of email addresses, or make your name or address public to anyone else. Some members have joined with their real name, and still others put their real name/job title in their signatures. For most of our membership however they wish to remain anonymous and we respect their right of privacy. If you know someone’s identity on TCE, even if they’re a friend, posting any information on the forums that threatens their anonymity will get you banned. Please respect others privacy and don’t ask any of the mods/admin for names, titles, email, or IP addresses; we don’t give them out.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Pratt2112 posted:

Greetings! o9

Who were you on mmorpg? All the names are a blur except for the sociopath Erillion. When the game fails I'm going to PM him a picture of my dick.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

is this 8ace thing going to be like spartacus?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How do you feel about the response to your DS post by the DS-obsessed being, "nuh uh!"

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

D_Smart posted:

Derek i like you honestly i do but you're super bad about being wrong.

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Goobs posted:

Who were you on mmorpg? All the names are a blur except for the sociopath Erillion. When the game fails I'm going to PM him a picture of my dick.

I'm Pratt2112 there as well, the person whose forum post Derek copy/pasted here, and then someone else after him.

I don't post there much, so if you blink, you'll miss me.

And agreed about Erillion. Oy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

All extremely important changes, the Khartu-al missing audio when destroyed was driving me crazy!!

It really is odd, once it is set it should stick.

They are basically using two major 3rd party add-ins:

WWise for audio.

Kythera for AI.

Kythera is only a few megabytes in .dll files. WWise appears buried in the code. Assets for WWise are readily available in the pak files.

Looking though the executable there is a shitload of static linking type stuff going on. Entire command line type stuff with all the arguments, options and results returned for example. Hell, a lot of it is Crytek stuff is in there. And when I stay stuff, I mean full English language, switches, command responses, help documents, etc.

They seem to "touch" quite a few assets given the timestamps between releases. Multiple versions of assets. Every ship seems to have 5 models of LoD which of course decrease in size and I understand that one. But there is still original Freelancer vs Freelancer V2 in their own words that exist as separate entities.

I mentioned the removal of SQ42 stuff in an earlier post. They also had a bunch of Idris models. Most of it was interior models. Those are gone as well.

Somewhat cleaning up their act. The work paths are in there (just a mapped drive to w:)

Only Stanton/Area 18 are in there. Along with MMHC (million mile high club). Chuckled at that. No hidden pets. Just fish and crabs.

Basically every "pluggable" thing you can think of such as engine coolers or whatever is duplicated between all ships.

Naming conventions are interesting, you can tell various teams are tossing poo poo in to the repo. Some pick "old", others use "alpha", "bravo", "Charlie", etc for version control.

All the weapons are there, but I'm not up on them to comment on the different manufacturers or find hidden stuff.

They are much more careful now.

In short, that's why the sound is hosed. Several people loving with it cause they are bored.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A Neurotic Jew posted:

there's a private forum though, and they have a vetting process for everyone who gets access to it. Its real Derek.

I don't think you understand, Derek performed a search on that forum and nothing came up for 'Star Citizen' therefore the forum named 'The Chaos Engine' is plainly not the 'The Chaos Engine' that other guy meant.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pratt2112 posted:

if you blink, you'll miss me.

That means you're safe from Sandi then

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pratt2112 posted:

I'm Pratt2112 there as well, the person whose forum post Derek copy/pasted here, and then someone else after him.

I don't post there much, so if you blink, you'll miss me.

And agreed about Erillion. Oy.

I used to post on there to argue with Darkfall fanatics then one day I forgot my password and never went back :smug:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

I used to post on there to argue with Darkfall fanatics then one day I forgot my password and never went back :smug:

Lol darkfall

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thoatse posted:

Sandi blinks so often that if there is a strobe light on to her she is in complete darkness

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pratt2112 posted:

Present!

Saw a post on Derek's FB page with a screencap of it, had a surreal moment of thinking "I've read that somewhere before", and then realized it was me.

Pretty trippy when that happens.

I don't even spend much time at mmorpg.com anymore. When I do go there, I inevitably run into the idiocy that floods the SC forums, and it drives me nuts. Erillion, in particular... holy crap. If SC fans are the Scientologists of gaming, then Erillion is Tom Cruise.

All we need is Tom Cruise jumping on a couch, shooting jpeg ships at Oprah, and the picture will be complete.

Now that I think about it, can someone do that? That would be pretty amazing.

(Edited, 'cause my Tom Cruise scenario didn't really make sense and I'm slightly OCD lol.)

Hi

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

Lol darkfall

Yeah, what times I had :lol:

I never did convince them WoW was better, it was a very confusing time

Edit: Also the Alganon stuff was amazing, and that brings us right back to Derek, thank you for those times Derek, you made me laugh a lot

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I'm the r/dereksmart lurker who now has to decide between making fun of Derek for getting this wrong or acknowledging that a forum full of insiders making fun of CIG constantly is real.

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Thoatse posted:

Whew.

That's a relief.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm the r/dereksmart lurker who now has to decide between making fun of Derek for getting this wrong or acknowledging that a forum full of insiders making fun of CIG constantly is real.

Lol

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Ahoy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart posted:

For that bolded part you quoted then, which industry only forum is being referred to?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

peter gabriel posted:

They're almost as bad as SC fanatics. Almost.

Though maybe they've calmed down with time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Darkfalls community was so up its own rear end about how hardcore they were, and how it was in fact good that you had to skill macro to be competitive

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

this thread never fails to deliver

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pratt2112 posted:

They're almost as bad as SC fanatics. Almost.

Though maybe they've calmed down with time.

I remember them being super mad because they heard that running out of energy while running may be patched out because it was 'catering to loving carebears'

I also started the rumour with no idea if it was true or not :lol:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Jason Sextro posted:

this thread never fails to deliver

The joke is that the Huffington Post would decide to only run one story.

Derek did you try running StarCitizen as one word in the search bar? Maybe that's the issue.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

Darkfalls community was so up its own rear end about how hardcore they were, and how it was in fact good that you had to skill macro to be competitive

Yeah they really were, luckily they carried that persona on to their posting so when I suggested changes to be more like PVE WoW servers they consistently lost their poo poo in the best ways imaginable

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
Lmao at Derek not realizing forums can be private.

There are private forums here too that unregistered members can't see

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Jason Sextro posted:

Whatever your opinion of DS's games he at least has a specific vision that he can clearly communicate without mumbling and stumbling over his words, licking his lips and shifting his eyes every which way

Is is true. Derek's vision is very Cyan, but at least it's consistent.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah they really were, luckily they carried that persona on to their posting so when I suggested changes to be more like PVE WoW servers they consistently lost their poo poo in the best ways imaginable

Owns

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Eonwe posted:

I fuckin' loved darkfall (earlier on while the poopsockers were too busy macroing to do anything), but the community was the worst part of it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, there is a forum called Chaos Engine that is for game devs only. They are (presumably) shittalking and leaking info about Star Citizen and it's totally hidden from the public. And Derek is not aware of this.

DEREK YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Awww Derek's game forums are empty now :(

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussions/tagged/alganon

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

It couldn't be for game devs only if the original indie dev wasn't invited.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Holy hell what is wrong with these idiots. You know, ive used some pretty retarded arguments when defending things i like (mostly becuase the one person who likes to bash things i like gets absolutely pissed when i use stupid arguments to counter and its hilarious to watch him freak out) but drat... Thats a new low.

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

Eonwe posted:

Yeah... the chest pounding and self-fellating by folks over how hardcore they were for playing a PvP MMO got to be a bit much.

Thing is, for me Darkfall (the original, not Unholy Wars) looked like it could have been a fun PvP MMO, even with all its varying problems. I was willing to give that game an honest go and see how it was, 'til its fan base just utterly destroyed it for me. I did not want to be anywhere near that mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Yeah-- Derek, he's right.

The forums are hidden from outsiders unless you're a registered member. To the profane it looks like 4 boards only... Fastest way to get to see them is to be vouched for by an existing member.

You need platinum access to access the Chaos Engine forums

• Locked thread