Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

It costs 10 dollars, actually

You know drat well multiple instances of 10 dollars can add up to a number as high as 100, if not more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That first avatar is incredible, someone do an alpha pass on it and buy it for the man again.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

You know drat well multiple instances of 10 dollars can add up to a number as high as 100, if not more.

SMG said ppl were paying $5 to change his av that's what I was responding to, classic sitcom misunderstanding

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

computer parts posted:

Here's the history of his avatars if we're meta-posting.

I don't know why this tool exists, but I'm glad it does

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I demand Snoke. The people want to see Snoke!

ok

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bigger Smeagol

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

Toilet Mouth posted:

Bigger Smeagol

Beagol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I hope at least the sequels spend more time with this extremely stupid looking character. He is right out of the Green Lantern movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

:toxx: if he is Darth Plagueis, I promise to never post in a Star Wars thread again.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

I am a huge slut for superweapons

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neowyrm posted:

Someone asked for lightsabers

So loving good. :swoon:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

so, i don't feel like reading this thread, but, has it been accepted yet that this movie is actually pretty good or do the "cd goons" still hate it?

Even TFA's biggest detractors have said it's competently made and enjoyable so I don't know why people are getting so upset about some of the flaws they're pointing out. None of the Star Wars films are perfect. Not even the prequels.

Personally, I enjoyed the hell out of it but it dispensed with the much loathed politics to the detriment of the movie as a whole. I didn't know what was going on in regards to the Resistance, the Republic or the New Order. I actually quite enjoyed the 'political scenes' in the PT. It made it quite clear what was going on. But, others have noted, it's get elevated by solid characters and amazing action sequences. The lightsaber duel ranks up there with the one in TPM and Empire. Kylo Ren rules.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

net cafe scandal posted:

Have you ever bought an avatar for yourself on this forum or is it a constant cycle of people buying you new ones?

I appreciate every avatar that's been purchased on my behalf, but the idea of 'personalizing' something via what's effectively an openly-biddable ad space is totally koo-koo.

But anyway, going back to the Reptar scene, you can see how the A New Hope reference is used to position Rey as an aristocratic godlike figure - she fills the Leia, C3PO and R2 roles from that scene all simultaneously. And, as a result, she has none of those characters' flaws. She endangers FN and then saves him, both at a whim and without any of the reflection on what she's doing.

Like I said, the scene lacks verisimilitude because that's all about the psychology. Loneliness is nobody's reaction to pursuit by tentacle death monsters. The only way to redeem the scene is to point out Rey's self-centeredness.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
giving the people what they really want

http://i.imgur.com/6ln5yoa.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/ODEcIYY.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/qh8axa2.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/kIqUtWt.gifv

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

Terry Grunthouse posted:

giving the people what they really want

http://i.imgur.com/6ln5yoa.gifv

excellent.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This forum has spent nearly 300 dollars on funny pictures next to SMGs name. Star Wars

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I liked the Zizek dreaming about Taylor Swift one. Whoever changed it to this snooty Frenchmen can suck a fat dick

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That one was cool, and the "haters gonna hate" one he had was cool. I don't even know who this French guy is.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Can I get a gif of Kylo slashing up the space ship panels?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Twisted loving Psychopath

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Something something, no CGI.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hope at least the sequels spend more time with this extremely stupid looking character. He is right out of the Green Lantern movie.

Him and Maz are soooo bad.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Now that people have the film, can someone find out for sure if either Raka or Mad Dog get killed by those shoggoths?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In order for a character to die, they must first be alive.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Proposition Joe posted:

Now that people have the film, can someone find out for sure if either Raka or Mad Dog get killed by those shoggoths?

I think they both live.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

wyoming posted:

Him and Maz are soooo bad.

Maz was incredibly blah. Ideally speaking Snoke might be redeemed by being completely inconsequential or even as fictional as his blue hologram existence implies.

Maz felt like she had some interesting ideas going on behind her but her overall presence in the movie was so truncated she just fell super flat. Like how would people respond if Luke shows up on Dagobah where Yoda drops some witty lines at Luke + R2, than his next scene notices Luke has a lightsaber and just says "Wow, you are strong and should go kill Darth Vader/The Empire and be a good guy!" and never shows up again. (Again, looking forward to the release so I can see if I'm remembering this right. Does Maz have another conversation with Rey after the meet n greet and the lightsaber dungeon?)

If we compare Maz to Yoda essentially her entire message to Rey is "Yours this weapon is, need it you will." Where the heck is the philosophy behind this? What does Maz know about war and fighting the Sith/Empire/First order? Did war against them make her great and worthy of a statue/worship? While Yoda comes off as intriguing and mysterious we still get a general idea of his ethos beyond generically wise and being against the Empire.

Things get even murkier when we consider that her bar/temple is basically a neutral ground easily monitored by both the First Order and the Resistance (The Republic doesn't seem to give a poo poo than dies) despite Maz being a self-professed highly partisan member of this conflict. Like the core takeaway from our first scene with her and almost all her characterization emphasizes the fact the she is highly observant and able to pretty much figure people out immediately - so why the gently caress is she just letting a First Order spy/evil clown hang out in her commune?

We already know it's not even necessary to the plot because the Falcon is being tracked or w/e, so it's just a very confusing choice for me. I feel like a generous reading might be able to say that she was trying to actively manipulate events on the ground to bring Rey into conflict with the First Order whether she wanted to fight or not, though I'm not certain there is text to support that. Will be looking for that when I get the movie on home release!

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

net cafe scandal posted:

This forum has spent nearly 300 dollars on funny pictures next to SMGs name. Star Wars

Four full years with this av.

Corek fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 25, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In order for a character to die, they must first be alive.

SQUAD

these guys own

The designs on these guys and the deathgang are tight

The 2 raid guys are being attacked but then they get dropped when the rathtar rolls after Finn & grabs him up, so presumably they survive.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 25, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When they speak is it made up Star Wars language, or is it just their own Indonesian tongue?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maz is great just for boyfriend line alone. Can't wait to see what more they do with her. :)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Picard Day posted:

(Again, looking forward to the release so I can see if I'm remembering this right. Does Maz have another conversation with Rey after the meet n greet and the lightsaber dungeon?)

No, because Rey runs off into the forest right after that. I think the only other thing Maz does is try to push the lightsaber on Finn.

(Maybe she just doesn't like that thing)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

Maz is great just for boyfriend line alone. Can't wait to see what more they do with her. :)

Maz, the character who runs a speakeasy and wants to gently caress Chewbacca for irony, is way more interesting than Maz the mystic horseshit plot device. Unfortunately, we only get two glimpses of the former.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 25, 2016

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

computer parts posted:

No, because Rey runs off into the forest right after that. I think the only other thing Maz does is try to push the lightsaber on Finn.

(Maybe she just doesn't like that thing)

I mean, it does cause force nightmares on contact, why would anyone want that? Even Luke wasn't happy to see it.

The weird thing is, there were scenes cut of Maz and Leia, involving the lightsaber, also scenes of Maz using the force, JJ claims he cut Maz leaving her ruined temple behind and joining the resistance because "She was just there with nothing to do" So instead they gave that role to Leia.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Toilet Mouth posted:

When they speak is it made up Star Wars language, or is it just their own Indonesian tongue?
I saw TFA twice here in Malaysia and I wondered the same thing. The two languages are pretty close, so the second time I went, I paid close attention to the subs during that scene. No resemblance.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

wyoming posted:

I mean, it does cause force nightmares on contact, why would anyone want that? Even Luke wasn't happy to see it.

The weird thing is, there were scenes cut of Maz and Leia, involving the lightsaber, also scenes of Maz using the force, JJ claims he cut Maz leaving her ruined temple behind and joining the resistance because "She was just there with nothing to do" So instead they gave that role to Leia.

leia is there to give mildly concerned looks and to feel billions of voices cry out in terror and get suddenly silenced leading to more looks of mild concern.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

net cafe scandal posted:

But that's the most unthreatening moment of the film :geno:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Maz, the character who runs a speakeasy and wants to gently caress Chewbacca for irony, is way more interesting than Maz the mystic horseshit plot device. Unfortunately, we only get two glimpses of the former.

Do you not want to unironically gently caress Chewbacca or something?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

jivjov posted:

But that's the most unthreatening moment of the film :geno:

You're so close to understanding!

It is however, a hilarious and awesome moment.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Picard Day posted:

Maz was incredibly blah.
I'm one of those who thinks TFA was merely "good" and had plenty of criticisms overall, but Maz in't one of them.

I'm not sure I'd ever try to compare her to Yoda. The similarity is they're long-lived and through that experience/knowledge she essentially imparts onto Rey, "There's nothing for you on Jakku; your future is elsewhere." She doesn't say it from the experience of a Jedi, she says it from the experience of a Force-sensitive being who isn't a Jedi. That's one of the better world-expanding elements to me.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Toilet Mouth posted:

It's a good pilot

A good pilot, and a good friend ok movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Even TFA's biggest detractors have said it's competently made and enjoyable so I don't know why people are getting so upset about some of the flaws they're pointing out. None of the Star Wars films are perfect. Not even the prequels.

The issue is more with the disingenuous nature of constantly insisting that it's "decent" "alright" "not bad" before launching into arguments about how it supports feudalism or ruins Han Solo or is pro-slavery or has no good shots or has no nuance or intellect.

I think people would be a little less aggravated if they just expressed their true feelings instead of cowering away with non-controversial moderate words.

• Locked thread