Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The second article on stuff atm is one trying to put a positive spin on it for National: http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/78260422/Flag-vote-defeated-but-not-humiliated?cid=app-android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Funny thing John probably would have gotten the flag changed as his legacy project if the whole selection process wasn't a farcical cock-up designed to pick his personal choice of a terrible silver fern

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ghostlight posted:

Except in the instances where the GG doesn't do what Parliament says and overrides our self governance.

When has this happened? I'm not saying it hasn't but I've never heard of it.

e:

http://www.parliament.nz/en-nz/about-parliament/how-parliament-works/ppnz/00HOOOCPPNZ_281/chapter-28-enactment-and-publication-of-acts posted:

No bill presented to a Governor or a Governor-General has ever been refused the Royal assent in New Zealand, although two Acts were subsequently disallowed by the Sovereign (in 1855 and 1867) under a procedure which no longer exists.

Has the GG overridden our self-governance in some other way then?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 24, 2016

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Wafflecopper posted:

e:

Has the GG overridden our self-governance in some other way then?

Probably talking about the time the CIA and MI6 collaborated with Aus GG John Kerr, to oust Whitlam

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wafflecopper posted:

I wasn't intending to say it has happened, just that the argument that it won't happen based on it not having already happened here is idiotic. Regardless of the ramifications of doing it, the Governor General can do it, and for a lot of republicans that's a good enough reason to get rid of what is a nepotistic legacy position whose only defense for retaining it is "well, they're supposed to only perform a ceremonial role, and if they don't we'll just have a constitutional crisis no big".

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ghostlight posted:

I wasn't intending to say it has happened, just that the argument that it won't happen based on it not having already happened here is idiotic. Regardless of the ramifications of doing it, the Governor General can do it, and for a lot of republicans that's a good enough reason to get rid of what is a nepotistic legacy position whose only defense for retaining it is "well, they're supposed to only perform a ceremonial role, and if they don't we'll just have a constitutional crisis no big".

Your post that I quoted sure made it sound like you were saying it had happened, but anyway: I never said it won't happen, but it is extremely unlikely to ever happen and as such to say we're only "nominally" self-governing is ridiculous. The GG would never refuse assent or dissolve Parliament except in extreme circumstances and for all intents and purposes we do in fact govern ourselves. Our government is made of up New Zealanders and elected by New Zealanders. It makes the laws and the Queen stays out of it. The GG, although officially the Queen's representative, is also a New Zealander. When Australian GG John Kerr dismissed PM Whitlam, it was only after consultation with Australian Chief Justice Garfield Barwick and not actually on advice of the Queen. Can you really imagine the British Crown deciding to get involved in New Zealand's domestic politics and instructing the GG to interfere? I never made the argument it won't happen because it hasn't happened so far, my argument is that we do in fact govern ourselves and any interference by the GG is only likely in exceptional circumstances and even then it would almost certainly be on advice of the New Zealand courts and not a result of British meddling.

e: Not a monarchist btw, I'm all for a republic

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 24, 2016

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I didn't vote FOR the current flag, I voted AGAINST the proposed new flag. I bet a lot of votes were like that. The reporting and even jk's "people voted for the current flag" stance is irritating.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

That's some good headlining there NZHerald.

klen dool posted:

I didn't vote FOR the current flag, I voted AGAINST the proposed new flag. I bet a lot of votes were like that. The reporting and even jk's "people voted for the current flag" stance is irritating.

And yeah this. I thought the new flag would have looked good

on fire

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
damocles, why are you worried about that sword? it hasn't fallen yet

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I came here looking for butthurt from change voters

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Try Facebook and/or stuff comments?

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

mirthdefect posted:

Try Facebook and/or stuff comments?

Yes- I was hoping people had curated some they have seen and post them here.

So far Ive just read one person talk about "You know, at the next olympics, the REAL symbol of our country most of our athletes will be wearing" yes the silver fern the one they have been using for decades now

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Jacobin posted:

Yes- I was hoping people had curated some they have seen and post them here.

So far Ive just read one person talk about "You know, at the next olympics, the REAL symbol of our country most of our athletes will be wearing" yes the silver fern the one they have been using for decades now

Yes, but that silver fern will likely be part of a real design, and not awkwardly shoe horned into a flag.

Because it's a logo, and flags aren't logos.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
There are some great comments out there today, especially on the Young Nats and the Chang the Flag pages. Everything boils down to:

"We had a chance to change and you blew it!"

"You're all stupid idiots!"

"This shows how immature this country is - grow up!"

"People only voted against it to spite John Key"

"We get mistaken for Australia EVERY DAY"

"You'll never get another chance at this, so you should have voted for change regardless"

and my favourite "If you take out the people that voted against it because of John Key the new flag would have won"

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If they'd just used the rugby flag instead of that awful modern design they could have had change.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

open24hours posted:

If they'd just used the rugby flag instead of that awful modern design they could have had change.

It's not even modern, it's just corporate. It's for corporate, maybe a little bit of trend. I'm pretty sure New Zealand is a more even distribution between the stoner and true doom murderhead demographics.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
It's just a dogshit fern

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Couldn't we just adopt the UN flag so Key can't weasel out of our international commitments? And think of the Tourism!

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WarpedNaba posted:

Couldn't we just adopt the UN flag so Key can't weasel out of our international commitments? And think of the Tourism!

Aunty Helen had her turn you loving communist

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"People only voted against it to spite John Key"

This is true but as bonus effect for voting NO. poo poo flag, wrong reasons.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
John Key politicised the flag vote and people are mad people voted against an unrepentant sexual abuser because they hate him?

Weird.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Considering how much he involved himself in the process, what was he expecting would happen? The idea that people only voted to keep the flag to spite Key is also stupid. Sure, a fair few probably did a "gently caress you" vote, but then again, the alternate design was loving garbage as well.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
It's one of those excuses that people will use so they don't have to accept that maybe other people had a different opinion on something they themsleves liked.

"Oh people voted against it because of John Key, not because it's a ghastly piece of poo poo."

Just like when your school friends liked someone famous or something they had that you didn't, they'd say you were just jealous, so they didn't have to deal with a differing opinion.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

John Key politicised the flag vote and people are mad people voted against an unrepentant sexual abuser because they hate him?

Weird.

Exactly. He positioned the choice as "the flag that represents New Zealand" vs "the flag that represents John Key". Can't complain that people spite-voted, when he was expecting them to vote for his choice out of love and admiration for his dumb rear end.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Hmmm looking through the main articles on both Stuff and The Herald, neither have anything on the referendum anymore. Pretty quick to sweep that one under the rug.

Even this morning the headline article on stuff was about a cafe serving cheap coffee.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hopefully the baristas are still putting the fern on the coffee.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Guardian has a decent article on it, actually

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/25/new-zealand-referendum-same-flag-what-was-that-about

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

This is maybe the most annoying thing

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

klen dool posted:

This.

It really annoys me seeing all those people (even JK's tweet on the last page) who are saying "Now a flag's been decided we've gotta stick with it!!!!" and be happy about it, because we've had our say or whatever.

I ended up voting for the lesser of two evils but that did absolutely not mean that I am happy with our current flag or happy to keep the status quo. I don't feel like I got a chance to have my say at all.

And yeah, after all that we have no idea how many people are actually interested in changing the flag because both of those referendums told us poo poo-all.
I guess if the amount of people who voted for the alternative flag was that high then there must have been enough people among them who wanted to change it despite the terrible design, so if you add to that the people who voted for the old flag despite wanting to change then there were probably actually enough people to vote in a new flag if we actually got a good design.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Wafflecopper posted:

Can you really imagine the British Crown deciding to get involved in New Zealand's domestic politics and instructing the GG to interfere? I never made the argument it won't happen because it hasn't happened so far, my argument is that we do in fact govern ourselves and any interference by the GG is only likely in exceptional circumstances and even then it would almost certainly be on advice of the New Zealand courts and not a result of British meddling.

FWIW, it wouldn't be the British Crown interfering. The NZ Monarchy, while having it's roots in the British Crown, is a somewhat separate but shared institution. The Queen, like John Key, has many different hats. When performing her duties as the monarch of NZ, she takes off her "Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" hat, and puts on her "Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of New Zealand" hat. She's not the British Queen when dealing with us, she's *our* Queen. Same person, different role.

This is the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, opening their pariament:

This is the Queen of New Zealand in her official portrait, wearing her NZ honours and regalia:

Somewhat important distinctions people fail to make.

Now for all this talk of republic, we just saw what a shambles of a process we got stuck with trying to change the flag, does anyone really think the process by which we changed to a republic would be any better? I'd prefer we eventually became one I guess, but in all honesty would prefer to just leave well enough alone and stick with Her Majesty for all the difference it would make!

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
haha mate it's all sophistry

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Bad timing for Phillip on that photo, makes it look like the Queen carved some prime british beef.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

unrepentant sexual abuser

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

an unrepentant sexual abuser

Unrelated but I wonder what Mike Sabin is doing these days

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 29, 2016

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Isn't there another very prominent NZ'er facing multiple child abuse charges as well?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vulpes posted:

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Well unrepentant means he isn't sorry about it.
Sexual means he probably got a chubby from it.
Abuser means he did it without consent and to the detriment of someone else.

What word do you mean?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

"an"

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

truther posted:

Isn't there another very prominent NZ'er facing multiple child abuse charges as well?

April is gonna be an interesting month, dunno if the trial can be delayed for another year.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/68156461/Prominent-New-Zealander-will-stand-trial-on-indecent-assault-charges-in-2016

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ivor Biggun posted:

Unrelated but I wonder what Mike Sabin is doing these days

The unwilling, I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Probably better for National it is dealt with this year as opposed to an election year.

• Locked thread