Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What's the record for most functional reprints?

I know there's like 5 or 6 Grizzly Bears without even getting into ones with different creature types.

e: and there's like 8 Hill Giants but the creature types are all over the place so that doesn't strictly count.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Trading pumping your guy for being one-sided fight = a very good card, come on mcmagic.

Love everything else too. I'll draft 4 Catalogs every time.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Elyv posted:

My recent favorite is Weave Fate

like, are people on Tarkir incapable of Inspiration
I think that's more that they prefer to make draw spells untargeted now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Therese Nielsen is selling some expensive but sweet-looking playmats.

http://shop.tnielsen.com/Hanna-Ships-Navigator-Playmat-PMHANNA.htm

I'm super tempted to pick up a Hanna one.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

So is a UW control/mill deck going to be a viable thing with that big mill card and Sphinxes Tutelage and a handful of clues and maybe some junk to boost mana, or should I sink my money into Vampires before it's too late?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

That sounds really slow, if they kill your Pacifist you aren't putting any pressure down until turn 4.

Probably is, just trying to think if pacifist would fit in a standard constructed wolf deck. Seems easy enough to get her attacking but requires a bit of enabling. Tribes seem pushed so at least one will end up being good probably and wolves get access to Arlinn, who seems good for aggressive/midrange creature decks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

There's been weirder ones. Like how they absolutely couldn't use Searing Spear for Theros for some reason, it had to be Lightning Strike, after they just made an FNM promo of Searing Spear.

It's a reasonable move, after all spears are completely out of flavor for a set based on ancient Greece

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
So, is there anything that lets you pay life to deal damage to an opponent. Effect needs to be repeatable.

Or pay life to mill cards?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

JerryLee posted:

It's a reasonable move, after all spears are completely out of flavor for a set based on ancient Greece

It was Theros block, the list of things in it that weren't a mistake of some severity or form one way or another were very few in number.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Telex posted:

So is a UW control/mill deck going to be a viable thing with that big mill card and Sphinxes Tutelage and a handful of clues and maybe some junk to boost mana, or should I sink my money into Vampires before it's too late?

The SCG versus series did a video with some of the cards spoiled at the time and brewed a RU Mill deck that managed to outpace BG elves by a fair margin. It could be a real thing!

Chandra's zero plus tutelage is pretty nasty, and thanks to Forgotten Creation there's TWO of these effects now. Only downside is it runs 4 Baby Jace, 4 Chandra.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The vanilla

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Telex posted:

Partially dependent on the decks in the meta. Tutelage can't compete with all the 4 colour or colourless decks around right now, and though the 4 colour will go the eldrazi will stay.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Therese Nielsen is selling some expensive but sweet-looking playmats.

http://shop.tnielsen.com/Hanna-Ships-Navigator-Playmat-PMHANNA.htm

I'm super tempted to pick up a Hanna one.

I like how the signature is an extra dollar.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rinkles posted:

The vanilla

The fangs, you gotta give me the fangs

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Count Bleck posted:

I saw a little blurb on her website once, the signature dollar goes towards coffee to keep her hands warm during a mass signing session. Or wine to cool them.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Two mana one-sided fight spell in Green at common is gonna be loving great. Fight spells seem pretty shaky for constructed play just because of how easily they get blown out by enemy removal (especially since you're probably casting them on your best creatures), but oh man is that gonna be a fucker in draft.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Eh, the signature fee isn't much considering how she signs cards for tips

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

That sounds even more sketch.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Visual artist isn't exactly a high-paying career to begin with, especially when you work on a contract basis, and especially when you primarily work in gaming. Noah Bradley has said on Reddit they don't even typically get appearance fees for GPs/etc. When you depend on selling prints and the like for a great deal of your income, I don't think it's sketchy at all to ask for a buck or two for your time to add a little something extra to someone's cards or playmat. Particularly when you consider how many cards/playmats people ask someone like Terese Nielsen to sign.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 25, 2016

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Shadow225 posted:

That sounds even more sketch.

No that seems perfectly fine.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The reason why signature dollar stuff is put in place is so people don't just drop their entire collections on you expecting you to sign everything. Or if they do, you at least make a good chunk of money in the process.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

sarmhan posted:

Even more commons:

Easier to cast Ampryn Tactician , probably good in the green/white humans decks.

Obligatory 3/1, not a human though

Best common green removal spell ever?

The zombie decks want to go long, so this is could be ok. Still meh though. Kinda awkward that you want it to die, but it's bad at trading.

Is that a vampire biting into a werewolf's arm

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

No that seems perfectly fine.

Just so we're clear, we're working on the definition of tip being the amount of gratuity a person gives his/her server in a restaurant in addition to the charges for the meal?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Gratuities/tipping is an absolutely stupid practice in every place it's mandatory or expected.

In this case, I have zero issues with signing fees but don't call it tipping because it's not.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/141638973068/could-tamiyo-potentially-join-the-jacetice-league

:captainpop:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Shadow225 posted:

Just so we're clear, we're working on the definition of tip being the amount of gratuity a person gives his/her server in a restaurant in addition to the charges for the meal?

A tip as in a gratuity for services rendered.

Which means you can tip your server for food. You can tip your tattoo artist for tattooing you. You can tip your masseuse for massaging you. You can tip an artist for signing your card. You can tip your cabbie for driving you. You can tip your barber for cutting your hair or shaving your face.

Note that tipping is optional but always appreciated.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

apologize to jace you awful man

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I would be so much more respectful of the story if Tamiyo could join the Jacetice League

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Yeah okay Maro

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Oh Maro, have you not heard of the Streisand Effect?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Calling it the Jacetice League and having them live in a spacestation called the WatchwolfTower is about the only thing that would make me respect and follow the story

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'll bite and ask what you don't like about the story.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

:wow: That might be the first time I've ever seen him even approach being angry about something, and it's that. There's a frightening implication there that I can't quite articulate.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Baron Porkface posted:

Me? I dislike that its very bad.

I'm joking around, if people enjoy the story that's great. It doesn't interest me, and the excerpts posted here are of very poor quality. As a kid I loved the little glimpses at people and events you'd get through flavor text and art, and that went well with the concept of infinite planes that are disconnected except to a select few. Main characters and overarching plot don't really do it for me.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
when we go to a cool plane that i like, the last thing i want to see is jace

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I don't hate jace, and actually think he's one of the better characters they have :shrug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

the last block involved killing eldritch beings from before time and space by burning them really really hard

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Jaceus loving Christ, Maro.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Terrible Horse posted:

Me? I dislike that its very bad.

I'm joking around, if people enjoy the story that's great. It doesn't interest me, and the excerpts posted here are of very poor quality. As a kid I loved the little glimpses at people and events you'd get through flavor text and art, and that went well with the concept of infinite planes that are disconnected except to a select few. Main characters and overarching plot don't really do it for me.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Lol @ maro being a carehaver about the collectible card game's storyline.

It's bad.

• Locked thread