Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9jHl2vcs_s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Eh, I don't think it "alienated" anybody, that's a weird sentiment that didn't make sense when the Wii was happening either. For a platform that was allegedly devoid of "hardcore gamer" content you had Mario Galaxy, a Mario Kart game, Smash Brothers, Zelda TP, Zelda SS, plenty of titles. There was a lot of shovelware too, but the system definitely had an emphasis on multiplayer content over single-player content; the only way it really "alienated" its userbase was that Skyward Sword and Metroid Other M were really bad and there was no online marketplace worth a drat for indie titles.
I wrote up and deleted a long post to explain what I really meant but it was boring and the TLDR is I was referring to just the launch (and most of those games you mentioned came much later, so I guess I wasn't clear). Sorry. It's not even really important because they made so many much bigger mistakes. :shrug:

Constr posted:

is it worth collecting all the anti cubes in fez because i copied down the alphabet and man is that some bs. real tempted to just use a cipher off the internet even if its cheating.
It's your free time, if you just want to enjoy chilling out doing platforming puzzles and then set the game aside forever there's no real shame in that. Plus there's always Youtube to see the rest

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The N64 may have been a commercial failure but it gave to me hundreds of hours of fun time playing Golden Eye, Mario Kart 64, and Super Smash so I consider it a gaming success.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The N64 wasn't a failure. The Gamecube, now THAT was a failure. It only sold twice as many units as the Dreamcast, a system that tanked an entire company. And since it was more powerful than the PS2, its failure is probably the reason Nintendo seems so convinced that gimmicks is the way to go over pure power.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

The N64 wasn't a failure. The Gamecube, now THAT was a failure. It only sold twice as many units as the Dreamcast, a system that tanked an entire company. And since it was more powerful than the PS2, its failure is probably the reason Nintendo seems so convinced that gimmicks is the way to go over pure power.

To be fair, the Cube never marketed itself on its power, even though it had several incredibly impressive graphical achievements; the REmake, Metroid Prime, and Super Mario Sunshine all come to mind.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
why is gamecube usually abbreviated at GCN

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

To be fair, the Cube never marketed itself on its power, even though it had several incredibly impressive graphical achievements; the REmake, Metroid Prime, and Super Mario Sunshine all come to mind.

It also couldn't play DVDs.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

FirstAidKite posted:

Same reason a Gameboy is DMG

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't doubt marketing (along with a lot of really shady poo poo Sony did at the time to gimp their competitors) was the prime factor, but the company's actions don't tell me that's what they learned.

FirstAidKite posted:

The mysteries of the orient.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
What's the point of extra power if you use tiny discs?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
also, I hope everybody is having a good day and not a bad day

We had kind of a bad day yesterday, but it was ok, as it was all fixed today and now everything is good.

game on, friends

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A big reason I think Nintendo can't directly compete with Sony or MS is that game consoles double as media boxes now, a field Nintendo can't match the other two on for obvious reasons.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Nasgate posted:

What's the point of extra power if you use tiny discs?

its not the size of the disc, its how dot dot dot

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Motto posted:

A big reason I think Nintendo can't directly compete with Sony or MS is that game consoles double as media boxes now, a field Nintendo can't match the other two on for obvious reasons.

but nobody likes the media box features of the xbox one

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

corn in the bible posted:

but nobody likes the media box features of the xbox one

microsoft does (did)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I appreciate Sony's insistence on adopting technology early and using it as a way to move consoles, blu ray not as much but my family got massive use out of the ps2 as a DVD player before they became dirt cheap.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
People use consoles as netflix boxes a lot these days. It's just not the big pull anymore since you can get an apple tv or roku or samsung thing or smart tv or offbrand thing for really cheap so consoles that may have really been banking on being media centers (ahem, bone) didn't really gain much during the current gen.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
only sony products I ever owned were ps1 and ps2. did ps3 and ps4 have special custom icons for save files? there are some really cute and neat ones. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing, and I like when devs do neat things with them. The 3ds' game files are pretty similar too.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

only sony products I ever owned were ps1 and ps2. did ps3 and ps4 have special custom icons for save files? there are some really cute and neat ones. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing, and I like when devs do neat things with them. The 3ds' game files are pretty similar too.

Unfortunately, no. I do remember the super-cute ones from PS1 and PS2. It was pretty unique and I can't really think of another console that had that. The first time I noticed it was when I saw each FF7 save file had a different character's head as the icon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bloodychill posted:

Unfortunately, no. I do remember the super-cute ones from PS1 and PS2. It was pretty unique and I can't really think of another console that had that. The first time I noticed it was when I saw each FF7 save file had a different character's head as the icon.

The little icons some DS games have on the 3DS are kinda similar.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bloodychill I keep trying to play ALBW like you keep telling me to but I mucked up my neck sleeping and holding it looking at the DS puts it in a painful position, this makes me sad :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ciaphas posted:

bloodychill I keep trying to play ALBW like you keep telling me to but I mucked up my neck sleeping and holding it looking at the DS puts it in a painful position, this makes me sad :(

No pain no game as they say

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I posted it before but shadow hearts covenant had my favorite memory card icon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:smith:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like that it is canon that yuri tries to draw stuff, and he's not great at it, but he isnt awful either, and you can find a few of his drawings like one of hte item descriptions in covenant or the memory card icon for covenant and I think a few cutscene flashbacks too from covenant

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

That sucks and I hope you feel better. I just know that feeling of gaming ADD and LBW was a game that completely shut it out for the few days I was playing it because it was just very fun, captivating, and didn't doddle, so I thought it could help with your gaming ADD :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uncharted 2 really goes downhill towards the end, the loving blue people and jesus that end boss, what a slog
I can't imagine what playing it on Crushing would be like, let alone that new difficulty they added, ugh

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

And now I'm playing Psychonauts, another game I picked up at some point ages ago and didn't get around to playing. Not really far into it but so far it's basically Banjo-Kazooie as envisioned by 90's Nickelodeon animators.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Uncharted 2 really goes downhill towards the end, the loving blue people and jesus that end boss, what a slog
I can't imagine what playing it on Crushing would be like, let alone that new difficulty they added, ugh

Crossbow shots to the head. Kind of the only way to do it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

FirstAidKite posted:

I like that it is canon that yuri tries to draw stuff, and he's not great at it, but he isnt awful either, and you can find a few of his drawings like one of hte item descriptions in covenant or the memory card icon for covenant and I think a few cutscene flashbacks too from covenant

Yeah, in Covenant he does the plot summary of the first game like that.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Stardew Valley has taught me that the world would be so beautiful if everyone was bi

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Sakurazuka posted:

I remember Crushing on the original Uncharted 2 being really annoying, but not as annoying as Crushing Uncharted 1. The final boss was a douchebag though.

In my personal Uncharted news, I beat Remastered Drake's Fortune on Crushing about an hour ago. I can't really say I had lots of fun, but it definitely passed the time. I still really like all the Uncharted games, but when I recommend it to people, I'm gonna continue telling them to just play it on Normal. I don't feel like the enemies really become bullet sponges until Hard mode and up, but otherwise it's lots of fun. :unsmith:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FirstAidKite posted:

because ngc is Neo Geo Color

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Jay Rust posted:

Stardew Valley has taught me that the world would be so beautiful if everyone was bi

It is true

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Saturn Valley taught me that the world would be so beautiful if everyone was, like, 45% nose.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Games taught me that shooting and killing people is very fun so sometimes you have to take edutainment with a grain of salt.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Gamecube did alright in this regard as well but for me the N64 was the best multiplayer system ever made and I'll always love it for the hours lost to Goldeneye/Mario Kart/Smash.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am a big fan of Video Games, Video Game systems and Gaming memorabilia in general!

I would have loved to own all systems when each was released but I have to settle with what I can afford.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly, the worst part is probably the big shootout with the blue people on one side and the mercs on the other, because it's about three waves of each and they sooooorta will try and kill each other, but if you don't get involved they end up coming after you anyway. It's awful.

I also hate all of the puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

I appreciate Sony's insistence on adopting technology early and using it as a way to move consoles, blu ray not as much but my family got massive use out of the ps2 as a DVD player before they became dirt cheap.

Fun fact: the best selling launch title for the PS2 was a DVD copy of The Matrix

• Locked thread