Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

SeaborneClink posted:

Laundry has been a 24 hour turn around for me all season. I don't think 6 pairs is going to cut it for you. Leave the hammock at home and bring a tent. You're going to be pretty mad when you end up in a farmer's alfalfa field for 14 days covered in mosquito bites (bring mosquito repellent), I say that as a normal hammock dweller. Otherwise looks pretty good, flagging can always be replaced at supply, coms has more batteries than China and medical is handing out sunscreen, chapstick and goldbond powder like it's going out of style. I wouldn't bring a goretex poncho either I just carry a cheapo one in my line pack.

Bring sweatpants a beanie and a hoodie cause it's cold as poo poo out here at night.

We've got Aussies and Kiwis showing up at my fire tomorrow and NG the day after that. Have fun and be safe out there.

I'm guessing we were at the same fire. Were you in Troy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

invision posted:

I'm guessing we were at the same fire. Were you in Troy?
No, I was out in John Day on the Canyon Creek Complex. The day after I left it started raining and then they got a proper dusting of snow alongside thunder. More Colorado weather than Oregon.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
The department gently caress-up works on my crew. I'm trying to coach him, but he continues to gently caress up. He panics when under pressure and freelances constantly. Does anyone have some kind of motivational instruction technique or solution to help me help this guy?

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

The Gardenator posted:

The department gently caress-up works on my crew. I'm trying to coach him, but he continues to gently caress up. He panics when under pressure and freelances constantly. Does anyone have some kind of motivational instruction technique or solution to help me help this guy?

Does he gently caress up during training evolutions? Is he getting the training he needs? A lot of stuff we do can be mastered by repetition. Once the skill becomes automatic it makes the job a whole lot easier. Does your department have specific SOP's for incidents? He may benefit from having a basic checklist made for him to refer to when responding to incidents (e.g. At an MVC make sure the car is in park and keys are taken out) or when given roles (hydrant man, nozzleman, pump operator). It's easier to think clearly under pressure and problem solve once you know you have all the basic stuff taken care of.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

smooth.operator posted:

Does he gently caress up during training evolutions? Is he getting the training he needs? A lot of stuff we do can be mastered by repetition. Once the skill becomes automatic it makes the job a whole lot easier. Does your department have specific SOP's for incidents? He may benefit from having a basic checklist made for him to refer to when responding to incidents (e.g. At an MVC make sure the car is in park and keys are taken out) or when given roles (hydrant man, nozzleman, pump operator). It's easier to think clearly under pressure and problem solve once you know you have all the basic stuff taken care of.

He does gently caress up in training drills. I think part of it is that he lacks confidence in himself. The frustrating thing is he doesn't like being told he is wrong and usually blames mistakes on "misunderstanding the order" or on the equipment.

E: also our station is full of chill guys, but some of the older guys are getting fed up with him. I want to help this guy out.

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 10, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
When I was a brand new EMT I ran my mouth on a routine psych because I worked in psych hospitals previously, talking about how I had this and no worries blah blah. I was just trying to make myself more at ease, but fortunately a guy took me aside and gave it to me straight about being a rookie and needing to prove myself by showing I'm good over time, not acting like I know things but actually knowing things. It stung a bit, by I appreciate that heart to heart more than anything else in my training. I needed it straight and I got it straight.

Maybe just take your guy aside and explain what's up straight up. If he takes it the wrong way, he takes it the wrong way, but if you're coming from a place of genuine caring and compassion, and he takes it wrong, that's on him.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004
The other option is to document every gently caress up and build up a case for dismissal. If he's not willing to take criticism well in training, that doesn't translate well on the fireground. You have to think about the safety of your crew as well.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Well the captain does not want to take those steps at this time. I can see where it is a liability, but it is not that far off from having a fresh recruit or a firefighter on his last legs physically. I had to look up OSHA standards on theatrical fog because dude was freaking out over it during one of the training sessions.

If anyone wants to look it up, wikipedia has some good links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatrical_smoke_and_fog#Adverse_health_effects

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

The Gardenator posted:

Well the captain does not want to take those steps at this time. I can see where it is a liability, but it is not that far off from having a fresh recruit or a firefighter on his last legs physically. I had to look up OSHA standards on theatrical fog because dude was freaking out over it during one of the training sessions.

Simulated smoke right? The stuff that it's supposed to be simulating is quite a bit worse for you, and the steps for protecting yourself from it are the same. Sounds like a bigger potential for headaches than any fog machine ...

Lattie
May 27, 2006
Hey Ya'll I recently finished my arduous pack test for wildland firefighting and now I've got to get some boots. The Forest Service does reimburse up to $300.00 a year so that really helps out. The question I have though is should I get something like Drew's which are right at the price I need or should I go for something like Whites or Scarpas? It all pretty overwhelming.

Here's the Drew's I was considering (not in purple though, hah!) https://drewsboots.com/product/hathorn-smokejumper-style-110v

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Buy the Whites, and as many 100% wool socks as you can afford, I'm talking like $200-300 in socks. You'll want something that is fully rebuild able, and I would suggest going with leather laces not the nylon ones, I burned 3 pair this summer, but then I am a big dummy so you may fare better.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 30, 2015

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Lattie posted:

Hey Ya'll I recently finished my arduous pack test for wildland firefighting and now I've got to get some boots. The Forest Service does reimburse up to $300.00 a year so that really helps out. The question I have though is should I get something like Drew's which are right at the price I need or should I go for something like Whites or Scarpas? It all pretty overwhelming.

Here's the Drew's I was considering (not in purple though, hah!) https://drewsboots.com/product/hathorn-smokejumper-style-110v

Depending on what size feet you have, I've got a brand new pair of White's, still in the box, never even tried them on that I'll sell for super cheap.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Yay for working 144 hours in two weeks between two departments...!

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

The Gardenator posted:

If the Captain doesn't want to do anything about it, you have limited options. Lots of training and remediation and peer pressure are really your only choices.
If you have a formal complaint process and you really think that the guy is a danger to your crew, you always have that option as a last resort (and you have to decide if that is the hill you want to die on.)

I really feel for you. There are a lot of officers that want to wear cool colored helmets and have fancy titles, but don't want to accept the responsiblity that comes with it.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I work part time at two departments, just moved to a different district with my girlfriend... It's one of the premier fire departments in the county and I looked into volunteering here.

The volunteers in this district? Can't do anything IDLH. Can't use EMT skills. No patient touching, no firefighting, all you do is drive the air truck to incidents and do pub ed and all that. Pub Ed has its benefits, doing drill here has its benefits too given the quality of the department, but what the gently caress? I mean... I work at a department who has a chief who helps write the IFSAC firefighter training manual (not going to mention here...), and I've learned a ton while I've been there. I'm almost certified with them for being an engine operator for them... I mean, being a volunteer for this new district that I've moved to would look good given how the department is thought of in this state, but volunteers with them can't do poo poo. It's honestly embarrassing to have their volunteers have the title of firefighter.

I guess my question is - Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

windshipper fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 1, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
That's . . . really strange. I've heard of places just doing away with their volunteer corps when they go career, obviously, but at least for my station, and all the stations in my state, the only difference on the fireground between a volunteer and a career guy should be whether they're getting paid. In reality of course career guys generally have sharper skills and sometimes a higher level of training because they are paid to do that training, but yeah, I'm with you - I wouldn't bother volunteering and would definitely have a hard time calling myself a firefighter if I couldn't, you know, fight fires.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Also, I suppose that I should clarify what I mean. They are firefighters in that they have EMT and FF1 certifications and you give them those as a department... But you're doing them and the title of volunteer firefighter a disservice by making them only able to do those things.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 1, 2015

invision
Mar 2, 2009

windshipper posted:

Also, I suppose that I should clarify what I mean. They are firefighters in that they have EMT and FF1 certifications and you give them those as a department... But you're doing them and the title of volunteer firefighter a disservice by making them only able to do those things.

You talkin' about TVFR?

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

invision posted:

You talkin' about TVFR?

A Washington state department.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
Is wildland firefighting something that can be done as seasonal work? I currently live on the east coast and would like to go somewhere in the spring/summer to work on a crew.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Beach posted:

Is wildland firefighting something that can be done as seasonal work? I currently live on the east coast and would like to go somewhere in the spring/summer to work on a crew.

Absolutely. lovely, lovely hard work though if you're on the line (you probably will be). You just have to get certified first though. That said, in WA this year, the fires were so bad that at one point they were taking people off the street.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

windshipper posted:

I work part time at two departments, just moved to a different district with my girlfriend... It's one of the premier fire departments in the county and I looked into volunteering here.

The volunteers in this district? Can't do anything IDLH. Can't use EMT skills. No patient touching, no firefighting, all you do is drive the air truck to incidents and do pub ed and all that. Pub Ed has its benefits, doing drill here has its benefits too given the quality of the department, but what the gently caress? I mean... I work at a department who has a chief who helps write the IFSAC firefighter training manual (not going to mention here...), and I've learned a ton while I've been there. I'm almost certified with them for being an engine operator for them... I mean, being a volunteer for this new district that I've moved to would look good given how the department is thought of in this state, but volunteers with them can't do poo poo. It's honestly embarrassing to have their volunteers have the title of firefighter.

I guess my question is - Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

You just almost literally described the combination system in my county (NoVA). Volunteers are essentially auxiliaries to the paid staff. Volunteers that meet the minimum certification requirements are eligible to ride 3rd on medics/5th on trucks and engines, but members that are not have no options other than ad-hoc special services units. And for volunteers certified to ride, there is otherwise no formal system in place to handle that process once you get placed on the eligible to ride list; it functions almost entirely on having a good, working interpersonal relationship with whatever shift and station you choose to ride with. Essentially you just show up like it's a meet and greet and try to make yourself useful and make friends. Without speaking ill of anyone, I could reasonably say that it's considered... less than optimal by most people here. But it's what we got.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Some department out in Ohio in letting their staff carry weapons
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/fire-department-allows-firefighters-to-carry-weapo/nXMzT/

This can only end well.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Am I allowed in here as a non-FF? I've got lots of family and friends (college buddy was a vol, a guy I call "uncle" with no blood relation was a vol, now is fulltime with city FD, a cousin is city FD, another cousin likes to jump out of airplanes, I worked for the local newspaper for ten years and am on good terms with all the officers of city FD, one of my part-time newspaper coworkers is a full-time fireman, and one of my bosses is a Captain of his volunteer squad.)

windshipper posted:

Absolutely. lovely, lovely hard work though if you're on the line (you probably will be). You just have to get certified first though. That said, in WA this year, the fires were so bad that at one point they were taking people off the street.
My cousin did a season or two as a smokejumper after he left the Army Rangers as a Captain, and from what he's said of it, I'm pretty sure he preferred being shot at. People I've met on the local paid and volunteer squads (a few years ago when NE Texas was burning) tend to agree with windshipper.

IronDoge posted:

Some department out in Ohio in letting their staff carry weapons
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/fire-department-allows-firefighters-to-carry-weapo/nXMzT/

This can only end well.
I'm not all that surprised, it's been mentioned in various TV dramas that the firefighter/medic uniform is close enough to the color of the cop uniform that people will shoot at them (specifically FDNY, because TV shows are set in NYC, but my local departments have the same uniforms). Also at one time in NY, there were gun-carrying fire police, according to the Old Firemen's Home and museum in Hudson.

My city fire marshal wears a gun. Makes sense, since he's basically a detective, with full powers of arrest, and (hopefully) has taken the same classes as the gun-toting cops. Is that a thing in the rest of the US, or just Texas?

The thing I came to post, because I was reminded of it by a post in AI:
One late night at the paper I was listening to the scanner, and Fire got called out to the local college's dorm four times in two hours by the automated smoke-detector system because of a party with a fog machine. The first time, as in your experience, was all-hands callout, because the dorms might be on fire. The second, the Captain got there first and told the partygoers to cut that poo poo out. Third, the city fire marshal was sent to cuss them up. The fourth call, Fire called in the police, who threatened to arrest everybody present if there was another false alarm, and Fire confiscated the offending fog machine, took it to the parking lot, and broke out the axes to make sure it wouldn't cause any more trouble.

In other news, as a photojournalist, hearing the tones on the scanner makes my ears perk up. When I have to wait a solid minute while the dispatcher calls out every company in the metro area, I'm pretty much drooling over the scanner. When I hear the words "working structure fire," I basically jump out the third-floor window into my car Saints Row-style.

To their credit, that's one of maybe two or three fires I got to before they had it put out -- the majority, I got there to see the firefighters kicking up the ashes. But those are from the time the warehouse of the plastic and fiber recycling plant burned (the first time, rather. It's gone up three more times since then.)

Edit: possibly-apocryphal hilarious story from college friend, at the time of the story a freshly-minted volunteer firefighter:
He got pulled over for speeding.
:cop: : "Where's the fire, son?"
:v: : [looks up at firefighter badge clipped to the sunvisor of his truck]
:cop: : "alright, rear end in a top hat, you get a pass this time."

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 28, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Feel free to always come in and post cool pictures who gives a gently caress if you're a fireman or not.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Feel free to always come in and post cool pictures who gives a gently caress if you're a fireman or not.

That's pretty much all the cool pictures I have. My city's FD is pretty good about getting there before I do -- this is what the majority of my photos of them look like:

Another from the recycling warehouse fire:

Well after the fact:

Dude driving the pictured pickup was hell of dead (crossed the median on I-20 into oncoming traffic, took an 18-wheeler to the chest), I'm kinda surprised there isn't more blood on the seat.

My first published photo:

She tried to turn left, got hit, rolled over more than once. Since then they've put in concrete curbed medians on that highway to prevent that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yeah those are all awesome too. They seem mundane and routine to you but that poo poo is great.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Actually, this is cute:

Local steel mill had slightly more fire than planned, I got there too late, but there was a rainbow.

And that time my own attached garage caught fire and the entire FD came out to laugh at me (because I knew all the battalion chiefs and the fire marshal from working for the newspaper) while Engine 4 from literally two blocks up the street put it out with my garden hose:

Was pretty funny when the fire marshal asked who was responsible for the house and I stepped up -- until then everybody thought I was at work, having passed off the hose to the rookie whom I hadn't met and gone back in to get the big Nikon.

Edit: The recycling plant fire was on a Sunday, and I didn't hear it on the scanner, I saw the plume of smoke on my way to work, and thought "to hell with the ballgame I'm scheduled to shoot, this is probably more important." As I was driving toward it, I got four phone calls from various editors, all saying "gently caress your schedule, get on that fire!" -- the slot man on the copy desk (who was listening to the scanner and gave me directions to it), the city editor, the managing editor, and The Editor.

It wasn't exactly subtle.

To get back on-topic, what's y'alls opinion of the local reporters?

Edit again:

Mr. Nice! posted:

yeah those are all awesome too. They seem mundane and routine to you but that poo poo is great.
::3: I suppose I got more action than the average firefighter; they're all hurry up and wait in their one district, while I was covering the entire metro area.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 28, 2016

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Delivery McGee posted:

To get back on-topic, what's y'alls opinion of the local reporters?

Pretty much everyone I know tries to hide whenever there is a photographer about. One time I got a picture on the front page of the local rag, and the photographer got the ranks wrong and the recruits I was with wound up outranking me :shobon:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Minty posted:

Pretty much everyone I know tries to hide whenever there is a photographer about. One time I got a picture on the front page of the local rag, and the photographer got the ranks wrong and the recruits I was with wound up outranking me :shobon:
Yeah, that happens. Apparently any fireman from City FD identifiable in my newspaper buys a round for the whole department. But at least we're pretty good with ranks.I and my pet reporter always wanted to do 24-hour ride-along with City FD, but it never worked out because the paper would have to pay us overtime for it.

Edit: also the recycling plant fire, I got a double truck inside, but the front page photo was some kid in a Cessna's aerial photo, that still bothers me.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 30, 2016

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Lattie posted:

I know this was from Nov but for sure step up and get whites and then about 12 pairs of 100% merino wool socks. I would use anywhere from 2 pairs to 10 in a 2 week roll. This will be the biggest comfort you can give yourself. They really don't like you wearing compression shorts but I'd get a couple pairs and just never change my underwear, you can't smell yourself anyway but you definitely realize how bad you smell when the public stares at you on the way home

invision posted:

Depending on what size feet you have, I've got a brand new pair of White's, still in the box, never even tried them on that I'll sell for super cheap.

Do you still have these from this post months ago/what size are they?

windshipper posted:

*you still had to have a active red card to get on the line otherwise you were just volunteering in camp

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

*you still had to have a active red card to get on the line otherwise you were just volunteering in camp

Probably. I don't know too much about that aspect of it. I've had my red card for two years now.

HiroProtagonist posted:

You just almost literally described the combination system in my county (NoVA). Volunteers are essentially auxiliaries to the paid staff. Volunteers that meet the minimum certification requirements are eligible to ride 3rd on medics/5th on trucks and engines, but members that are not have no options other than ad-hoc special services units. And for volunteers certified to ride, there is otherwise no formal system in place to handle that process once you get placed on the eligible to ride list; it functions almost entirely on having a good, working interpersonal relationship with whatever shift and station you choose to ride with. Essentially you just show up like it's a meet and greet and try to make yourself useful and make friends. Without speaking ill of anyone, I could reasonably say that it's considered... less than optimal by most people here. But it's what we got.

I have all my certs and poo poo, (EMT, FF1, FF2, Wildland, EVIP, etc.), It just makes it seem like there's really no reason to volunteer in a district like that, honestly. Yours sounds like it has a volunteer program more solid than this one here, really, in that there is at least a way for volunteers to get in.

I got hired to being a part timer at my first district here by being a volunteer and then phoning the on duty captain and asking them if I could ride along for the night. That's usually how it works in departments with mostly full timers, it seems, anyways.

Edit: Delivery McGee, please also feel free to post all the pictures and stories you want to in this thread. If we can't get off on fire porn, why are we even firefighters?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I always like to visit fire departments when I'm in new places. I'm in Phoenix today, and it looks like Maricopa County has Phoenix FD and Rural Metro. Is that it? No other small town departments or volunteer departments in the county?

Edit: Disregard. Just a little bit more googling and I would have found it: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Maricopa_County_(AZ)

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 25, 2016

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Do you still have these from this post months ago/what size are they?

I think they're 9.5's. Might be 10? If you're interested I'll go find them.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Anyone here have any experience working with or for King County Medic One?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I'm going to begrudgingly put my 1 season old Nick's Hot Shot up for sale, does anyone here want a crack at them before they go up on eBay/CL. Black 10.5D (I think), 10" upper, rough leather outer, leather laces. One scrape in the leather (not even half thickness), fully re-buildable ($200 for a brand new lower & sole when the time comes.)

Box and cream included $375. I'll include the original purchase receipt if you'd like as well.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

invision posted:

I think they're 9.5's. Might be 10? If you're interested I'll go find them.

Too big, thanks though!

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
What to do when the last shift doesn't empty the kitchen trash.

black children
Dec 14, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

Buy the Whites, and as many 100% wool socks as you can afford, I'm talking like $200-300 in socks. You'll want something that is fully rebuild able, and I would suggest going with leather laces not the nylon ones, I burned 3 pair this summer, but then I am a big dummy so you may fare better.

:stonk: How in the gently caress did you burn 3 pairs of boots?
edit: nvm. you were talking about the laces. that makes more sense.

also, seconding the Whites. Whites and Nick's are really the only options for fire boots. you don't need to spend 300$ on socks, you'll probably be living out of a red bag most the time. I carried like 5 pair or so and that was considered excessive

I know this was from Nov but for sure step up and get whites and then about 12 pairs of 100% merino wool socks. I would use anywhere from 2 pairs to 10 in a 2 week roll. This will be the biggest comfort you can give yourself.
how did you get away with that? I wouldn't even have been able to fit that many in my bag, what with all the tobacco products and pornography. I would wear the same pair for a few days and then just flip em inside out when they got too crusty

black children fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
After five years of trying I was selected for my local full time department and was just approved last night by the town government. Attending the state run academy in May, gave my notice at work, got fitted for bunker gear, attended orientation earlier this week at the academy, feeling pretty unstoppable right now. :cool:

• Locked thread