Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Please take our sub-pulp level story seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That was being disrespectful?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Rinkles posted:

That was being disrespectful?

I showed it to a few people and they had the same thought. This is peak Maro.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Well I definitely found the new thread title. Mods???

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Please respect our creative team, they work really hard talking to focus groups and regurgitating whatever they say they like.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

GeneX posted:

I don't hate jace, and actually think he's one of the better characters they have :shrug:

The characters are ok, but not great, in my opinion. Jace is essentially locked as The Main Character forever now which is a little boring. Obviously we'll have to see how it actually bears out but it seems like we'll be getting less new characters and plots and more "2-3 members of the gatewatch + liliana solve a plane's problems"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

as someone who actually reads the flavor articles, I think the characters have the potential to be fun(not interesting) if they weren't written in such a boring fashion

similarly, the plot is actually ok in most of the stories except for the climaxes, which are consistently dumb

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the man who made unhinged, 2 sets all about taking the piss out of magic, hates people making up a funny name for the group of heroes he even admitted were based off of the Justice League

yeah that makes sense

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

the man who made unhinged, 2 sets all about taking the piss out of magic, hates people making up a funny name for the group of heroes he even admitted were based off of the Justice League

yeah that makes sense

Like 90% of the unglued jokes are "clambassadors" level and about the only one seriously aimed at taking the piss is Stop That

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Honestly Magic creative has the same problem MTGO does: wants to be taken very seriously, treats itself very seriously, given minimal love and fanfiction+ money and care

If it was all pulp and treated as such that would own, and if it was good and treated as such that would be fine too

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Like 90% of the unglued jokes are "clambassadors" level and about the only one seriously aimed at taking the piss is Stop That

well i was hyperboling but cards like Old Fogey and the XYZ spell are definitely making fun of magic itself

Also, Jacetice League is a Clambassodors level pun too :v:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Unhinged was full of hilarious rear end jokes.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

The lawyers tell us we can't legally tell players to eat the cards. Did you hear that? Don't eat the tasty, delicious cards.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Death Bot posted:

If it was all pulp and treated as such that would own, and if it was good and treated as such that would be fine too

Yeah it felt like they were sort of running with the pulpy silliness with Dack Fayden, but kind of gave up on that and now I'm supposed to treat Jace the 40 year old virgin being sent to Liliana's dungeon like it's Casablanca?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

Yeah it felt like they were sort of running with the pulpy silliness with Dack Fayden, but kind of gave up on that and now I'm supposed to treat Jace the 40 year old virgin being sent to Liliana's dungeon like it's Casablanca?

Everyone ITT complained about Dack Fayden at the time.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Baron Porkface posted:

I'll bite and ask what you don't like about the story.
In a nutshell: the characters are bland and barely one-dimensional, the plots are bland and look more like someone went clicking through tvtropes during lunch and hammered out a few paragraphs stream-of-consciousness style, the resolutions of those plots are completely without impact, and in the end nothing really happens; everyone is right back where they started but slightly more/less annoyed.

Jace is an especially bland boring uninteresting character whose entire backstory is "that nerd we envision all magic players to be gets to have super powers and show up literally everyone". He's got the least personality out of a group that collectively has the depth of a spatula.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Snacksmaniac posted:

Please don’t be disrespectful of the story. You might not care but others do.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Baron Porkface posted:

All I remember is the entire thread going nuts making 1 billion puns with his name.

Then again I purge all lore chat from my memory each night.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Also, dig your old tumbrs out from when you were reblogging "Lost" memes or w/e and do this.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Baron Porkface posted:

That must be a different thread. We love Dark Fayder.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Baron Porkface posted:

But Dank Flamingo is the greatest Bird in the Multiverse? :haw:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I thought we all agreed he was named Dork Faygo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Spoiler is up

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
DANK FARQUAAD

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

well i was hyperboling but cards like Old Fogey and the XYZ spell are definitely making fun of magic itself

Also, Jacetice League is a Clambassodors level pun too :v:

They're making fun of mechanics, not the greatest story ever told in the multiverse

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wowza

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

I thought we all agreed he was named Dork Faygo

Dank Faygo.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
I like the self-recursion in white

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Not sure how great this is... The madness deck is probably aggressive and that isn't a great card for aggressive decks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Not sure how great this is... The madness deck is probably aggressive and that isn't a great card for aggressive decks.

Colors are rarely relegated to a single strategy

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

Colors are rarely relegated to a single strategy

I agree and I'm sure this will be a relatively high pick but this effect hasn't been as good as it looks in practice. At least in my experience.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
It's going to be one of the high pick black cards. It's the best common black removal so far and it has the upside of being an instant sometimes. Black looks great in this draft format.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

cool pacifism variant

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

cool pacifism variant

I really like this card. Easy no 1 pick

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I don't see the full spoiler on Wizards' site yet, a number of cards are still missing. There's only 19 DFCs, for instance, when we know there's more in the set.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The "gold" captains

The green activated ability granting Indestructible seems a bit weird

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

great name/art/card/flavor text

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Can't wait to first (more realistically third or fourth) pick this.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 25, 2016

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

The art in this set rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

The art in this set rules

The RB Madness deck is going to be very good.

• Locked thread