Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Night10194 posted:

I imagine it's like how War in the Pacific (a grognard strategy game for PC) doesn't require the Japanese player to win; the Japanese player 'wins' if they hold on longer than Japan did. It's less 'could this guy in a fight he was never going to win pull it out' and more 'can you manage to do better than he did'.
That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

gently caress machamp, it's all about chandelure

:agreed:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Why don't you guys check out my metapod :grin:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
keeps failing to use Harden tho

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Zereth posted:

Don't those usually also have asymmetric victory conditions, though?

Depends. The classic way to do it with historicals is to switch armies and replay the scenario to see if one player is able to consistently outperform the other. There's also an umpire a fair amount of the time who determines which side was better commanded. It's pretty unusual to even have a notion of points or whatever in a lot of historical rulesets, figuring out victory is usually discussing how well each side accomplished their objectives over the course of the battle or performed relative to how the actual battle went. Basically a ton of Narrative Forging.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
"I'm forging the narrative of a renegade skaven warband out to pillage some brettonian villages"

"And I'm forging the narrative of Khorne's personal Bloodbath Bloodwranglers Bloodthirsters Demon Horde out to wreck everyone's poo poo"

Umpire: "Alright, may the best forger win!"

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hi5

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Mango Polo posted:

"I'm forging the narrative of a renegade skaven warband out to pillage some brettonian villages"

"And I'm forging the narrative of Khorne's personal Bloodbath Bloodwranglers Bloodthirsters Demon Horde out to wreck everyone's poo poo"

Umpire: "Alright, may the best forger win!"

Yeah, that's exactly why it breaks for GW games. If you're putting together a hypothetical scenario for the American Civil War, there's a ton of source material to work off of and create a common denominator that will ultimately make a scenario that's fun to play even if it's lopsided. The armies people play with come out of the scenario and historical period, where GW does it completely backwards and has people start with the armies and attempts to have a narrative come out of a scenario they're both jammed into.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Maybe if the British worked more Bloodthirsters and Dragons into their narrative instead of focusing on the red coat spam they could have done better.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Yeah, that's exactly why it breaks for GW games. If you're putting together a hypothetical scenario for the American Civil War, there's a ton of source material to work off of and create a common denominator that will ultimately make a scenario that's fun to play even if it's lopsided. The armies people play with come out of the scenario and historical period, where GW does it completely backwards and has people start with the armies and attempts to have a narrative come out of a scenario they're both jammed into.

The thing is, its not like my friends and I never did this Warhammer. We'd decide we wanted to re-enact some battle in the fluff, like Grom's invasion of Hoethe, and just work out what seemed like a good way to do it. Often that meant not having balanced forces, because maybe the mission isn't about stopping the goblin horde, but whether or not scouts can escape to warn the Elven army, or how long they can hold up a pass to buy time for a muster or whatever. It was even something that was encouraged and supported at one point with uneven forces, I recall there being scenarios for playing out select battles from the War of the Beard or the destruction of Bugman's Brewery.

But how do you do this with AoS? Like if me and my friends want to do something like that, we sit down and decide we want to play some games based around... uh.... the Heldenhammers attack on the Tower of Filth? Is that a thing? Sigmar's liberation of the Celestial Palace? All we have are a bunch of lovely maps that look like they were torn out of a middle schooler's trapper-keeper and vague group names. There's no traction to actually make any of this stuff.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Exinos posted:

Maybe if the British worked more Bloodthirsters and Dragons into their narrative instead of focusing on the red coat spam they could have done better.

We have Dragons in our narrative, ever hear of Saint George the Dragonslayer?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zark the Damned posted:

We have Dragons in our narrative, ever hear of Saint George the Dragonslayer?

I think you mean Georgon Drakebane, the Dragonfire Dragonkiller of Dragenhold.

Roll a d6, if the result is below the number of dragons within 12'' Georgon Drakebane, the Dragonfire Dragonkiller of Dragenhold deals 2d3 mortal wounds to d3x2 enemy dragons.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Yeah, that's exactly why it breaks for GW games.

Yup. But I do think GW has been going heavy on scenarios for AoS. Problem is why give a gently caress about any of them when they feel like random asspulls. They are not iconic, they are not renowned, and they feature the bastardized versions of your old favourites fighting for or against the ground marines.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
And the rules are bad.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Moola posted:

keeps failing to use Harden tho

:drat:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
iirc the only time Harden can fail is when the Pokemon is already as "hard" as it can get :smug:

e: confusion and flinching aside, obviously, since those aren't really the move failing

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
are you claiming moola's metapod is confused about hardening?

drat.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

are you claiming moola's metapod is confused about hardening?

drat.

we're talking about my metapod, please pay attention

glad to see people defending my metapod to moola's burn

edit: trying to shame my metapod only causes it to harden even more, since that's the only thing it knows how to do

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Please, this long into the thread and we all know your Metapod doesn't have enough PP to Harden again. Poor thing. :(

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Syrnn posted:

Please, this long into the thread and we all know your Metapod doesn't have enough PP to Harden again. Poor thing. :(

i take it to your mother's pokecenter and it manages to perk right back up again

edit: she also dresses up as a nurse and charges ₱200

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
she doesnt charge me

e: or anyone else there

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LOL at all the adults itt who know things about pokemon.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

pokemon turned 20 years old last year

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Business Gorillas posted:

yeah, i mean I learned about harden and pp in high school

which granted is only less embarrassing in a relative sense

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
upon being an adult i forgot all things of my childhood, such as Ioz being the best pirate on the show, most of the mnemonics i learned in math courses, and the time i genuinely believed i could achieve whatever i wanted to in life

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

the ₱ is apparently the symbol for the Filipino peso, which i learned tonight

take from that what you will wrt syrnn's mother being a prostitute

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

lol at everyone in the thread younger than me
which is nearly everyone
lol at all of you basically

Tiler Kiwi posted:

upon being an adult i forgot all things of my childhood, such as Ioz being the best pirate on the show, most of the mnemonics i learned in math courses, and the time i genuinely believed i could achieve whatever i wanted to in life

Also this

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
In a thread for adults playing with dollies none the least.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I actually don't play Pokemon and never really enjoyed it

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leperflesh posted:

lol at everyone in the thread younger than me
which is nearly everyone
lol at all of you basically
'Hahaha I'm older than you' only really works until you're 25, maybe, and after that you're just reassuring everyone that they'll outlive you.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In the dark Baby Boomer future millennials will be harvested for their youth granting pineal secretions so maybe not.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ashcans posted:

'Hahaha I'm older than you' only really works until you're 25, maybe, and after that you're just reassuring everyone that they'll outlive you.

Have you seen a typical goon diet? I'm going to out live at least half the fuckers on this site and I'm middle aged.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I ate fishsticks and chicken nuggets yesterday. I'm going to die before fellow poster who I love-hate due to his enjoyable posts and views on anime, Leper flesh.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

lol if you're not already posting from the grave

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ro5s posted:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

ro5s posted:

Seems apt considering which thread this post is in.

Also walking stick crew reporting in.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Leperflesh posted:

lol at anyone who knows things about pokemon. that game was so boring that, despite it being literally the only game boy game i had for about a year, i still couldn't bring myself to finish it

the only good pokemon game is pokemon snap

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The pokewalker was the best part about pokemon and I'm sad they didn't rerelease it. I would go running with that thing. Heck, I might just use it while lifting and have Machop get stronger with me. Or somehow use it while boxing and raise a Hitmonchan in there.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Chill la Chill posted:

The pokewalker was the best part about pokemon and I'm sad they didn't rerelease it. I would go running with that thing. Heck, I might just use it while lifting and have Machop get stronger with me. Or somehow use it while boxing and raise a Hitmonchan in there.

for realz i've considered making a "bodybuilding simulator" game where you have your little guy drink protein shakes and get buff and keep a budget for body oil for competitions, plus in-game bonuses for hooking up a real-life calorie counter/workout log to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Make them level up into one-punch man or a super saiyan that you can then fight against other people. Avatar gets injured, so you hit the gym to get them strong again. Swipe action for body oil application. Gold mine.

It'll be just like age of sigmar except kneeling's good. :haw:

• Locked thread