Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Hating St. Cloud is almost (almost) as crazy as hating Dermott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I think it's settled, then: the entire sequence featuring Blue Monarch and Twenty-Kano is a thick, rich, creamy load of awesome.

In all my years and all my TV viewing, and lemme tell you that's a lot, I don't think I've ever seen such a sublimely realistic reaction from a character who has just realized that there's a reason nobody tugs on Superman's cape. There was no rebuttal, not even an attempt to pass it off as a joke. "Uhm... O-OK... sorry?" The upward inflection at the end sold it.

And the heebie-jeebie dance Twenty-One does. And the sobbing, resigned "He's gonna vaporize us!!"

That's what I loved about this way too short season: there are a lot of scenes packed so full of awesome. I think they could have actually gotten away with spreading out this much cool into a nice 13-episode season, if they'd been given the budget.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Blind Sally posted:

how much people dislike St. Cloud is pretty funny

Raar. Doc's a friend. Raar.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Only thing I don't like is that St Cloud didn't sound like his original voice.

I also preferred Hatred's original voice, but understand why he had a different one after that. I preferred the more Texan sounding that he had.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
St Cloud is the best.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I really like St. Cloud. Who cares its a fun cartoon

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Dazerbeams posted:

I do wish we had more time with all the one-off villains. Think Tank had so much potential.

Think of how quickly they tossed aside Bum Rush and Tank Top.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Comrade Quack posted:

Think of how quickly they tossed aside Bum Rush and Tank Top.

I wonder if Think Tank and Tank Top were related?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Blind Sally posted:

how much people dislike St. Cloud is pretty funny

I dont, it's just in this season St Cloud was really weak. Apart from Henrietta.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I wonder if Think Tank and Tank Top were related?
You know, just because they're both black [...]

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

X_Toad posted:

You know, just because they're both black [...]

Actually I was thinking cause they both had a Tank theme going on(kinda like how there were people speculating that Wide Wale and Professor Dugong were related before we even heard his background or last name, based on both characters having aquatic mammals themes)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
People dislike St Cloud? St Cloud rules. He's the perfect arch for Billy and a perfect conduit for Doc and Jackson to get their most obscure references out of their system.

Also, no one commented on them but I hope y'all approved of the thread titles this season.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I noticed them and they were perfect. :D

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

Also, no one commented on them but I hope y'all approved of the thread titles this season.
I enjoyed them quite a bit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

redbackground posted:

I enjoyed them quite a bit.

Same, you did a good job. Also, the best thing about the last episode is we got more Watch & Ward.

So many good characters in this show not getting enough time. I hope The Triad show up more next season.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Say "Billy Quizboy" like St. Cloud would

Billy K-wizzbowee

It's fun. Say Scuba

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

MrSlam posted:

It's fun. Say Scuba

Doll withdrawal

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I would pay $10 for that one song that plays during the montage of Billy winning quizzes in "The Invisible Hand of Fate."

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DSTbW-uTrA Starts at the end of this clip

I really, really want the sad piano theme that plays when Rusty tells Hank about how his teenaged birthday party went ("That sounds like a nightmare." "Oh no! Today was a ~*nightmare*~. That birthday party is my life.") and when they opened the box that Brock sent with HELPER's head wrapped in a jacket.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

tarlibone posted:

You're trolling them.

And then you're going to troll me.

Oh my GOD!!!!!

(I'd do "Oh my Gooooooooood," but that looks like the word "good.")

I love this. I really do.

(Unsolicited suggestion: consider "GAAAAWWWD" as an alternate spelling to reduce ambivalence.)

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My week 6 shirt has shipped, it's a good day.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Could someone explain what the reference/joke is in this line: "Brando's got us on our bellies and he's reaching for the butter!"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

Could someone explain what the reference/joke is in this line: "Brando's got us on our bellies and he's reaching for the butter!"

Last Tango in Paris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-r9Q-YItnk

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 24, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Last Tango In Paris, where the character played by Brando uses butter for anal lube.

It's...well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hate speculating for anything in the VB because they are so good at playing with expectations. Actually, I met someone who hated the Venture Bros because of this and specifically mentioned Kim becoming a Supervillain.

Anyways, I wonder if what happened to the Blue Morpho is that he either went rogue or Jonas just got paranoid and got Kano to take out the Blue Morpho, either crashing the plane on purpose or sabotaging it. Both Kano and Jonas felt bad about it afterwards, responding by taking a vow of silence and turning their friend into a cyborg respectively.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the plane was designed by Jonas, it had a mechanical failure, and Kano blames himself for not being able to land safely. The plane could even have been sabotaged by a third party.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Now that the season is over, it's safe to say there's no point in speculating. Any popular theories that are right will be changed because they like loving with their fans.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Now that the season is over, it's safe to say there's no point in speculating. Any popular theories that are right will be changed because they like loving with their fans.

This is a good point. If you have a theory keep it to yourself!

They've actually admitted to having story ideas, reading them predicted on the Internet, and changing them.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does that mean if I hypothetically wished the original Kano appeared to test the Monarch and 21 to see if they are worthy to carry on the legacy of the Blue Morpho and Kano, the creators will work to make sure that doesn't happen?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I immediately regret not grabbing the Specialty Tailoring shirt. Do these things pop up on ebay ever?

Macatt
May 3, 2005

WrathOfBlade posted:

Also as much as this episode was unsatisfying as a finale, that plastic brain-dome joke was a pretty great note to go out on.

What exactly was the deal with that joke, and with the interaction between the OSI and Guild rooftop snipers in general? It felt like it was a parody of some movie or something. The way they spoke to each other, especially in the post-credits final scene, just felt really... odd to me.

LostRook posted:

Kano was mute because he "killed a great man" and Rusty just confirmed that he was mute the entire time they knew each other, ergo the person killed was Blue Morpho not Jonas. It's possible, probable I would say, that there's more to it but this is a level of confirmation.

I'm not so sure. We're told that the Blue Morpho died in 1976, if I recall correctly. I don't know Doc's exact year of birth, but I think it's probably in the early 1960s. Rusty interacted with an already silent Kano throughout his childhood, which would span several years while BM was presumably still alive.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

apowe posted:

What exactly was the deal with that joke, and with the interaction between the OSI and Guild rooftop snipers in general? It felt like it was a parody of some movie or something. The way they spoke to each other, especially in the post-credits final scene, just felt really... odd to me.

I'm not so sure. We're told that the Blue Morpho died in 1976, if I recall correctly. I don't know Doc's exact year of birth, but I think it's probably in the early 1960s. Rusty interacted with an already silent Kano throughout his childhood, which would span several years while BM was presumably still alive.
Rusty was in that photo with the monarch's dad, so definitely. He might not have known Kano that well since he wasn't on team venture yet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Y'know, it says a lot about Blue Morpho's relationship with Jonas and with The Monarch that when he died Kano started guarding Jonas rather than BM's now orphaned son.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

axleblaze posted:

Y'know, it says a lot about Blue Morpho's relationship with Jonas and with The Monarch that when he died Kano started guarding Jonas rather than BM's now orphaned son.

Did you forget season 1 when Monarch explained he was the only who survived the crash and wandered off? I mean it was a plane crash that nobody survived. I mean yeah Jonas/BM were like inseparable buddies but I"m pretty sure Kano thought well everyone died when that plane crashed happened.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Monarch was still able to get his inheritance, so it's not like no one knew who he was.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I guess my argument for that is, we don't know at what age he got it and well, Jonas and them didn't' stay in NY for long so it's not like they would've known Monarch's son is still alive.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Considering the butterfly themes and Dr. Venture connections, it's odd that no one on the council ever suspected the Monarch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He was probably whatever age he was when the crash happened. He lived with the butterflies until they migrated south.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cojawfee posted:

He was probably whatever age he was when the crash happened. He lived with the butterflies until they migrated south.

...to Mexico.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

Considering the butterfly themes and Dr. Venture connections, it's odd that no one on the council ever suspected the Monarch.

He setup his own alibi taking a picture of him arching a hero while 21 arched Wandering Spider.

Everyone needs to rewatch that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I did not want to say anything but yeah when I saw people going why they never suspected the Monarch, the beginning of the episode Gary reminded Monarch that he was going to go arch so that they wouldn't get suspicious of him being BM.

I honestly don't think Gary killed Wandering Spider either. WS did ask Gary if it would help if he answered the phone. Plus Gary ain't a killer.

edit: I think Dazer was talking about like why didn't Monarch get immediately connected to BM but at the same time nobody knows the real identity of BM at all. It's basically a Batman situation. To us it's obvious Batman is Bruce Wayne. Just like how it's obvious BM is Monarch but nobody is gonna connect on hey Monarch got an inheritance and was obsessed with butterflies. It's a bit too conspiracy nut theory. :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 25, 2016