Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I haven't seen it before either. Its is a Dell monitor with two DisplayPorts, IN and OUT.

It is a fairly nice feature allowing you to daisy-chain two or three monitors off a single DP connector on the video card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cable doesn't fit in port.

WANT ME TO FORCE IT?

One of our service guys. Who management things is the go to person for anything technical at that location because he was a "technician in the Air Force"

When my PO for a cargo plane goes through I'll call him.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Happy easter. :toot:

I don't mind. It's a combination of helpdesk being behind in closing events, and not a single of these events is from any of my systems anyway.
I got that sinking feeling looking at the board, and then just pure schadenfreüde. :feelsgood:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's not s good idea to run a rack of servers and switches on baby's first generator from Home Depot is it? I'm assuming the power coming out of those is as clean as flint's water

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Probably not, especially since I doubt a cheap home depot generator has the output to run a full rack.

For a few machines it would probably be OK if you run the power through a double conversion UPS first.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A small Atlas Copco probably won't cost you a fortune and will be much better. If it's temporary then just hire one from Aggreko.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Power went out last night, guy from work knew because the alarm company let him know, I got a UPS alert. He asked if I wanted him to drive out and 'plug in the generator', I told him the batteries last 24 minutes so he wouldn't get out there fast enough anyway. I just had a guy remotely power the VMware stuff down and he can go home an hour early today (or come in an hour late). We're not a 24/7 shop and as much as I'd like some 1980's generator to fry our AS/400 I'm not ready to replace it just yet.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Found your problem!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bob Morales posted:

Power went out last night, guy from work knew because the alarm company let him know, I got a UPS alert. He asked if I wanted him to drive out and 'plug in the generator', I told him the batteries last 24 minutes so he wouldn't get out there fast enough anyway. I just had a guy remotely power the VMware stuff down and he can go home an hour early today (or come in an hour late). We're not a 24/7 shop and as much as I'd like some 1980's generator to fry our AS/400 I'm not ready to replace it just yet.

Are you sure? Opportunities like this don't come around every day, you know.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Moey posted:

I have stacks of dl380 G6s here. Come on over.

I can't believe no one asked movey ;-) to deliver them personally to avoid wear and tear on their cars.

:smuggo:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A good UPS (I'm thinking apc smartups) can clean the dickens out of a heavily-distorted line, no?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Potato Salad posted:

A good UPS (I'm thinking apc smartups) can clean the dickens out of a heavily-distorted line, no?

That is until the UPS fries and just dumps the incoming power into the outlets. Ask me how I know this.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm trying to get out of this incoming Sharepoint deployment/whatever else marketing wants to dump on IT at my current job. Sent my resume out and applied for a few jobs and have gotten some bites back. The big thing holding me back from a lot of places is experience with Citrix and large SANs. Pretty much everything else in the windows/linux server and networking world I've at least touched and had some experience with our have been able to build in VMs and lab and play around with. How in the hell do you lab a $50K SAN to learn?

Also I've probably been contacted by 20+ recruiters at this point and the utter lack of professionalism and knowledge in the majority of them almost makes me think you could make a killing being a recruiter with a sysadmin background. Its either trying to get me to apply for something completely irrelevant or cross country for less money. I've spoke to maybe 2-3 who have actually taken the time to talk get to know just a bit more about your experience and background and take that into account when looking to submit me for positions.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm trying to get out of this incoming Sharepoint deployment/whatever else marketing wants to dump on IT at my current job. Sent my resume out and applied for a few jobs and have gotten some bites back. The big thing holding me back from a lot of places is experience with Citrix and large SANs. Pretty much everything else in the windows/linux server and networking world I've at least touched and had some experience with our have been able to build in VMs and lab and play around with. How in the hell do you lab a $50K SAN to learn?

Also I've probably been contacted by 20+ recruiters at this point and the utter lack of professionalism and knowledge in the majority of them almost makes me think you could make a killing being a recruiter with a sysadmin background. Its either trying to get me to apply for something completely irrelevant or cross country for less money. I've spoke to maybe 2-3 who have actually taken the time to talk get to know just a bit more about your experience and background and take that into account when looking to submit me for positions.

They very likely have a dedicated storage / VM guy. If you want to be that guy then look into some certs to work on the equipment, or find some place that you can be the Server guy while being a jr to the VM guy. Actually running the servers will probably give you experience with the VM / SAN stuff anyway. If red tape is stopping you, ask the guy in charge of it after a few months. He's going to need someone to watch them when he's on vacation why not you?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Potato Salad posted:

get that poo poo cleaned up. dirty power is not an IT problem and it'll kill something important and expensive eventually.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

pixaal posted:

They very likely have a dedicated storage / VM guy. If you want to be that guy then look into some certs to work on the equipment, or find some place that you can be the Server guy while being a jr to the VM guy. Actually running the servers will probably give you experience with the VM / SAN stuff anyway. If red tape is stopping you, ask the guy in charge of it after a few months. He's going to need someone to watch them when he's on vacation why not you?

I think thats the move. I've worked plenty with servers/VMs just not in organizations large enough to have the kind of big SANs that are really in demand or I've been too far removed and isolated on a team to have to deal directly with one. This is sort of why I'm looking into 6 month contract gigs. Just get a broader range of experience.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Pre-site survey form sent to clients tech department:

Bunch of questions about carriers, network equipement, ISP etc then:

quote:

What is your Public IP Address? 192.168.1.1

mewse
May 2, 2006

Alighieri posted:

Pre-site survey form sent to clients tech department:

Bunch of questions about carriers, network equipement, ISP etc then:

One of my predecessors tried to get my current coworkers to help him access his home network using a 192.168.x address

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

go3 posted:

get that poo poo cleaned up. dirty power is not an IT problem and it'll kill something important and expensive eventually.

We're running an active device in our utility hookup that actively restores a clean sinusoidal wave despite all the AC rectifiers in our building. We've run one since a five-figure AV setup kept getting fried a few years ago.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Storysmith posted:

FYI the person running opencart is a straight up rear end in a top hat who antagonizes security researchers, so when people find things they tend to release it 0-day. There's a "community edition" of it that seems to be run by people who know not to bite the hands that feed them.

I'd advise not running opencart if your friend doesn't want to get hacked.

Eh if they were paying me to care about it I would. I couldn't explain what went on with the install process (they just Wouldn't Get It) but did strongly imply that if they wanted a low effort php thinger WP+WooCommerce doesn't suck any more than WP alone does.

EDIT-Ahah some quote from visionary genius opencart guy from github discussion above:

quote:

it was not ignored dick head why lie! are you a professional or not? professionals don't need to lie to prove a point they use facts!

you have not sent any mails via *******@gmail.com since I have no support tickets or direct emails from this account!

3 times i asked you to send the details by private pm!

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 25, 2016

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Alighieri posted:

AT&T is having call connection issues in the DFW area. Somehow I am supposed to fix this.

Come on down and stop in Deep Ellum for some BBQ at Pecan Lodge. It'll be worth it unless you're a vegetarian.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We are potentially going to be audited by Microsoft in the near future, as the current IT manager who should be dealing with this is instead being a useless dickhead and always searching for the Right Software to Fix Our Problems. He is a firm believer that no problem is institutional, or is because of people, there is a program that will fix it.

So, we need to run the Microsoft assessment toolkit to verify software on every machine in the company, and it needs to be done sooner then later. But first, we need to do a test to see what kind of bandwidth it will use and if it will cause problems to a location while running. I volunteer one of our IT offices, as they have more bandwidth then usual, the laptop ratio is higher there, and I figure I'd rather not cause problems for customer facing users.

We run it, the firewall goes up 20% in CPU usage for 5 minutes, each machine uses about 700-800k of bandwidth during the duration. So the site has a 20mb/s circuit, they hit 21mb/s in just this traffic, but thankfully the carrier gives us a bit of float on the circuit to handle spikes. We report back saying the initial run can't go during business hours, and we should fire it up on a Saturday.

30 minutes later, I get an alert for the location saying they are losing packets and their connection is lovely. I look and see that somehow they are using 32mb/s on that circuit and its not stopping. Monitor tool shows a certain IP there is connecting to every single Citrix server in the farm and drawing around 100k/s from them. Someone there decided to use the tool to test the citrix farm.

This raises 2 questions: 1. Why do this in the middle of the day and not tell anyone? 2. Why do this from your own workstation instead of one of the servers in the datacenter next to all the servers you are scanning?

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 25, 2016

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

I work in Network Operations at an ISP. My shift ends at 10 PM.

At 8 PM tonight, the vast majority of our internal services suddenly stopped working. Apparently, our internal IT scheduled patches for today starting at 8, but the announcement emails regarding this outage went out to basically everyone except my department. My department, the only ones in the building still scheduled at that time. We didn't have monitoring, ticketing, email, or documentation for the rest of our shift.

They do this once a month (though to be fair, they do usually inform us first).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well what I thought was going to be a relatively quick upgrade of my 2-in-1 laptop's RAM and swapping the hard drive for an SSD has hit a minor snag.

What kind of rear end in a top hat designs a laptop mobo with the RAM slot on the underside? I'm going to have to dismantle most of the insides to get at it :argh:.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well what I thought was going to be a relatively quick upgrade of my 2-in-1 laptop's RAM and swapping the hard drive for an SSD has hit a minor snag.

What kind of rear end in a top hat designs a laptop mobo with the RAM slot on the underside? I'm going to have to dismantle most of the insides to get at it :argh:.

Laptops aren't really meant to be upgraded. I loving hate having to open them up; different every time, and all the cables are hella tiny and incredibly fragile.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Laptops aren't really meant to be upgraded. I loving hate having to open them up; different every time, and all the cables are hella tiny and incredibly fragile.
Some laptops like the T-series put everything out there to be easily serviced

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Most do? There's usually a little panel that's held in by a screw that you can take apart underneath the laptop that has the RAM slot in it.

At least, that's the case for almost every single laptop I've used.

Unless that's not what you're talking about in which case forget it and I don't understand what you're saying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Migishu posted:

Most do? There's usually a little panel that's held in by a screw that you can take apart underneath the laptop that has the RAM slot in it.

At least, that's the case for almost every single laptop I've used.

Unless that's not what you're talking about in which case forget it and I don't understand what you're saying.

There is no such panel on this, just smooth case on the bottom which is the reason for my annoyance with it. I know exactly what you mean though, because even my old Eee 1000h just had a pair of small panels in the bottom to get directly at the HDD and RAM without opening up the whole thing.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
the smaller/lighjter the laptop the worse it gets.

I bought a ThinkPad T430 (which is a pretty big tank) and it was super easy to upgrade.

the super skinny ones suck rear end to upgrade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nitrogen posted:

the smaller/lighjter the laptop the worse it gets.

I bought a ThinkPad T430 (which is a pretty big tank) and it was super easy to upgrade.

the super skinny ones suck rear end to upgrade.

It's also a two-in-one, so it's partly gimped by the gimmick with having to not pump hot air out the base in case it upsets the display. Perfectly nice machine, but I'm leaving off sealing the case back up with it's new SSD for the time being until I can go get an 8GB stick of RAM because damned if I'm opening up the case twice. Those little clips you have to pry to pop out are scary things.

I forgot to get a stick of RAM when I bought the SSD and now won't be able to get one until Wednesday :bang:.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
That looks like an HP laptop, with the cheaper ones you can usually remove the entire underside.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There is no such panel on this, just smooth case on the bottom which is the reason for my annoyance with it. I know exactly what you mean though, because even my old Eee 1000h just had a pair of small panels in the bottom to get directly at the HDD and RAM without opening up the whole thing.

The hell kind of laptop is this?

Seriously, which model? That way I know to avoid it like the plague.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hihifellow posted:

That looks like an HP laptop, with the cheaper ones you can usually remove the entire underside.

Good eye on the brand, but incorrect. Unlike most laptops, it has everything mounted onto the bottom piece. What you're removing to get at it all is the keyboard (hence the ribbon cable in the middle of the picture), and the bottom shell is a single curved piece. with the keyboard set into it.

Migishu posted:

It's an HP Pavilion X360-11t. A nice 2-in-1, albeit admittedly a tad chunkier than most due to not having its RAM and HDD soldered to the motherboard. Does what I want it for (reading on the train, general browsing in laptop mode away from home) and aside from having to perform surgery to get at the RAM it's probably one of the better 11-inch 2-in-1's. To be fair, having the RAM not accessible through the underside of the case is probably so it's not venting heat onto the display in Tablet form, but they really should've put it in a better spot internally because everything else is pretty easy to get at.

Incidentally the 11-incher you actually want to avoid like the plague is the Dell Inspiron 11. That thing is made so cheaply I was told three stores had multiple defective ones returned when I was considering getting one.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I run 820p/840p HP in my workplace and drat are they easy to service. Push tab to the left, entire bottom lid slides off, m.2 slot, 2.5" bay, ram, wifi, broadband, battery, everything is open and easy to access. Haven't had to, but the cpu fan can be replaced and heatsink re-pasted with tpm by removing six screws an unplugging an antenna.

That Pavilion looks like a nightmare. Goes to show how disparate design can be even within the same manufacturer?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Some laptops like the T-series put everything out there to be easily serviced

I went from personally disliking Lenovos due to their copious bloatware, to vowing never to buy another one after they sold access to their laptops to a malware vendor for a loving song.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thanatosian posted:

I went from personally disliking Lenovos due to their copious bloatware, to vowing never to buy another one after they sold access to their laptops to a malware vendor for a loving song.

Yeah, but if you bulk image them with SCCM, who gives a gently caress?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wasn't the malware loaded in by a piece of hardware by Windows, so your custom image counted for gently caress all?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Wasn't the malware loaded in by a piece of hardware by Windows, so your custom image counted for gently caress all?

Yep, the firmware straight up replaced a file in \Windows\System32 with their own version, that would then proceed to install more stuff when the machine booted. They were infecting your system before any user code got to run at all.

I guess maybe full disk encryption could defeat it...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Migishu posted:

My Toshiba Portage Z30 doesn't have panels for *anything*

You can't even pull the battery.

And as a final poke in the balls, all the important information (such as model number, specs and power plug specs) is printed on the bottom in light metallic grey on a dark metallic grey background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

CitizenKain posted:

We are potentially going to be audited by Microsoft in the near future, as the current IT manager who should be dealing with this is instead being a useless dickhead and always searching for the Right Software to Fix Our Problems. He is a firm believer that no problem is institutional, or is because of people, there is a program that will fix it.

So, we need to run the Microsoft assessment toolkit to verify software on every machine in the company, and it needs to be done sooner then later. But first, we need to do a test to see what kind of bandwidth it will use and if it will cause problems to a location while running. I volunteer one of our IT offices, as they have more bandwidth then usual, the laptop ratio is higher there, and I figure I'd rather not cause problems for customer facing users.

We run it, the firewall goes up 20% in CPU usage for 5 minutes, each machine uses about 700-800k of bandwidth during the duration. So the site has a 20mb/s circuit, they hit 21mb/s in just this traffic, but thankfully the carrier gives us a bit of float on the circuit to handle spikes. We report back saying the initial run can't go during business hours, and we should fire it up on a Saturday.

30 minutes later, I get an alert for the location saying they are losing packets and their connection is lovely. I look and see that somehow they are using 32mb/s on that circuit and its not stopping. Monitor tool shows a certain IP there is connecting to every single Citrix server in the farm and drawing around 100k/s from them. Someone there decided to use the tool to test the citrix farm.

This raises 2 questions: 1. Why do this in the middle of the day and not tell anyone? 2. Why do this from your own workstation instead of one of the servers in the datacenter next to all the servers you are scanning?

I used to be a PM for that product. Just throttle it so it connects to less machines.

https://robertsmit.wordpress.com/2012/01/06/map-toolkit-saturates-low-bandwidth-networks-or-causes-the-machine-running-map-to-reboot/