Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

I run 820p/840p HP in my workplace and drat are they easy to service. Push tab to the left, entire bottom lid slides off, m.2 slot, 2.5" bay, ram, wifi, broadband, battery, everything is open and easy to access. Haven't had to, but the cpu fan can be replaced and heatsink re-pasted with tpm by removing six screws an unplugging an antenna.

I had to do this with my 850 the other day. The keyboard on my laptop needed to be replaced, so they sent me another one and told me to swap out the battery and hard drive. The whole job was done in like 10 minutes, including shutdown and startup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
poo poo pissing me off: That Guy. I work in a pretty close-knit group, and I'm the new guy on the team. I've received commendations, learned most everything on the go, and gone out of my way to get to know and befriend everyone, especially when we do sporting events on the road, but there's this one guy who, for some reason, thinks I'm the scum of the earth. He's not my boss, so his opinion ultimately doesn't amount to much, but working with him is just downright difficult when he fumingly stares at everything I do. He's really, really good at his job, and can deal with end users just fine, but has me penned all wrong. Everyone else knows it, my boss knows it, but he's a bit too valuable at this point to completely brush aside. How to deal with someone who sees an error or mistake as a severe moral failing?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

nitrogen posted:

the smaller/lighjter the laptop the worse it gets.

I bought a ThinkPad T430 (which is a pretty big tank) and it was super easy to upgrade.

the super skinny ones suck rear end to upgrade.

The T430 also has a second use as a blunt force instrument in the case of burglary. The only thing I don't like about mine is that the touchpad sensitivity is super low on it, but I bet if I poked around I could find a setting to adjust for that.

Of course, after Superfish, I'm never buying another Lenovo, but mine is older than that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rhyos posted:

poo poo pissing me off: That Guy. I work in a pretty close-knit group, and I'm the new guy on the team. I've received commendations, learned most everything on the go, and gone out of my way to get to know and befriend everyone, especially when we do sporting events on the road, but there's this one guy who, for some reason, thinks I'm the scum of the earth. He's not my boss, so his opinion ultimately doesn't amount to much, but working with him is just downright difficult when he fumingly stares at everything I do. He's really, really good at his job, and can deal with end users just fine, but has me penned all wrong. Everyone else knows it, my boss knows it, but he's a bit too valuable at this point to completely brush aside. How to deal with someone who sees an error or mistake as a severe moral failing?

Talk to him yourself, maybe your boss should say something about "Gee you seem to be treating Rhyos unfairly" but ultimately it will mean more coming from you. Don't lash out say "you seem overly critical about a few things we need to work as a team how can we fix this". He might not know he's being weird about it.

If he's not above you, it might be okay to tell him you were hired to do the job and you are qualified he can relax. You very likely know him better, maybe it's better to go about it with how can I prove to you that I know what I'm doing so you stop double checking everything? It makes me feel like you don't trust me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:argh: loving Joomla! and lovely templates

We're re-doing our website and marketing wants to start with a hip template. Cool. They found one, I installed it on a test site on the webserver we already have Joomla on for 2 other sites...

"the site is blank"

well yea it's just a template, whatever you make will have the look/feel of the demo

"well I was hoping it'd just be the demo site and I could work from that"

fair enough.

I start scraping through the instructions written in broken English. "simple installation, download template then unzip to your hosting"

Well these monkey fucks zip up a whole install of Joomla! that's 3.3 or something when the current version is 3.5. To make it even better they went with PHP 5.6.3. My production server runs 5.3 and I'm not breaking, so I install Ubuntu 16.04 beta which has PHP 7, tweak a couple libraries, a couple of the scripts are broken in the template installer so I dig in by hand and make a few mods and install some libraries that I have to hunt down. Finally. :3:

But it's still not even 2:30 so I'm stuck here on Good Friday for another two and a half hours. I need to go grocery shopping for Easter dinner tomorrow @ 1:00 and make some cheesecakes this evening.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

:argh: loving Joomla! and lovely templates

We're re-doing our website and marketing wants to start with a hip template. Cool. They found one, I installed it on a test site on the webserver we already have Joomla on for 2 other sites...

"the site is blank"

well yea it's just a template, whatever you make will have the look/feel of the demo

"well I was hoping it'd just be the demo site and I could work from that"

fair enough.

I start scraping through the instructions written in broken English. "simple installation, download template then unzip to your hosting"

Well these monkey fucks zip up a whole install of Joomla! that's 3.3 or something when the current version is 3.5. To make it even better they went with PHP 5.6.3. My production server runs 5.3 and I'm not breaking, so I install Ubuntu 16.04 beta which has PHP 7, tweak a couple libraries, a couple of the scripts are broken in the template installer so I dig in by hand and make a few mods and install some libraries that I have to hunt down. Finally. :3:

But it's still not even 2:30 so I'm stuck here on Good Friday for another two and a half hours. I need to go grocery shopping for Easter dinner tomorrow @ 1:00 and make some cheesecakes this evening.

Don't roll Ubuntu friend, always roll RHEL/Cent, no exceptions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ratbert90 posted:

Don't roll Ubuntu friend, always roll RHEL/Cent, no exceptions.

What's wrong with ubuntu LTS?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All distributions are poo poo in their own unique way.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
pissing me off right now - 6 users opened "invoices.zip" from a random nonsense sender which contained the locky cryptolocker. Frantically disabling accounts, computers, and reimaging boxes.

how the gently caress can people still be this stupid about email?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tigntink posted:

pissing me off right now - 6 users opened "invoices.zip" from a random nonsense sender which contained the locky cryptolocker. Frantically disabling accounts, computers, and reimaging boxes.

how the gently caress can people still be this stupid about email?
What antivirus and email provider do you use?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Yeah, but if you bulk image them with SCCM, who gives a gently caress?

...or run Linux on it.

If their stupid malware can work under linux then i'll start to get mad.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Bob Morales posted:

What antivirus and email provider do you use?

SCEP and exchange (and) zimbra. SCEP didn't see poo poo. we stripped all the emails out of exchange and zimbra already. Takes a bit with 3000ish users though

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tigntink posted:

SCEP and exchange (and) zimbra. SCEP didn't see poo poo. we stripped all the emails out of exchange and zimbra already. Takes a bit with 3000ish users though

We get tons of those emails and I'm surprised they don't get caught at some level eventually. Kaspersky's Outlook plugin will catch it but you can download the attachment and scan it with their regular tool and it doesn't catch it. What the gently caress.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

I just don't allow zip files, if you need a file that needs to be zipped up, dropbox/use any of the 124325125 free file host services for that poo poo. I don't trust my users to not open random zip files. Most other file/non-image types are blocked as well. Then again we have just 15 people in the office.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Bob Morales posted:

We get tons of those emails and I'm surprised they don't get caught at some level eventually. Kaspersky's Outlook plugin will catch it but you can download the attachment and scan it with their regular tool and it doesn't catch it. What the gently caress.

We also use the sophos spam blocker and that thing is next to useless. We've got alot of tools here but our folks who work in our server engineering group basically never learned how to do much after 2005. So theyll buy stuff and then never configure it correct or configure it once and never touch it again.

on the client engineering side we have alot more progress on locking down the computers and keeping them safe.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Alighieri posted:

I just don't allow zip files, if you need a file that needs to be zipped up, dropbox/use any of the 124325125 free file host services for that poo poo. I don't trust my users to not open random zip files. Most other file/non-image types are blocked as well. Then again we have just 15 people in the office.

But you see one single higher up will whine about not being able to open a file and our ultra panicked idiots will reenabled it. We cant even send all company emails thanks to one single higher up who doesnt like to get emails from IT so we send them to no one instead.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google Apps has caught every single one of those Locky 'Document2.zip' emails, to the tune of hundreds in the last few days.

10/10 would subscribe again. I also took the advice floating around in one of these threads and started tweaking my DMARC policies after making drat sure I had my own house in order and the spoofed sender crap is not even making it as far as a spam folder, it's just getting bounced with a 'DMARC says I should tell you to gently caress off' notification.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

pixaal posted:

Talk to him yourself, maybe your boss should say something about "Gee you seem to be treating Rhyos unfairly" but ultimately it will mean more coming from you. Don't lash out say "you seem overly critical about a few things we need to work as a team how can we fix this". He might not know he's being weird about it.

If he's not above you, it might be okay to tell him you were hired to do the job and you are qualified he can relax. You very likely know him better, maybe it's better to go about it with how can I prove to you that I know what I'm doing so you stop double checking everything? It makes me feel like you don't trust me.

With him, it seems to be a sort of perfectionism on steroids. I've spoken with him multiple times one-on-one concerning this kind of stuff, and his response has been that he outright doesn't trust me, and that lack of trust stems from things like not having memorized stop codes, or having to actually work through diagnosing an issue instead of having researched every possible symptom or error ahead of time. I don't know if it's New Guy Syndrome or what, but he doesn't seem to hold this same standard for everyone else, even if they show the same "failings." Everything just seems like a "Gotcha!" moment with him. Not sure if there's much of a "fix" for it, per se, as he's convinced himself that I'm some sort of liar and glory hound (a view which is contrary to everyone else on the team) and I'm not entirely sure how to dislodge that kind of thinking.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Alighieri posted:

ZIP files are blocked for our internal email (clients on the other hand...), need to senda zip? change the extension to .safe or something, surprise it makes it through and the person on the other end just changes it back!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Rhyos posted:

With him, it seems to be a sort of perfectionism on steroids. I've spoken with him multiple times one-on-one concerning this kind of stuff, and his response has been that he outright doesn't trust me, and that lack of trust stems from things like not having memorized stop codes, or having to actually work through diagnosing an issue instead of having researched every possible symptom or error ahead of time. I don't know if it's New Guy Syndrome or what, but he doesn't seem to hold this same standard for everyone else, even if they show the same "failings." Everything just seems like a "Gotcha!" moment with him. Not sure if there's much of a "fix" for it, per se, as he's convinced himself that I'm some sort of liar and glory hound (a view which is contrary to everyone else on the team) and I'm not entirely sure how to dislodge that kind of thinking.

You can ignore him, or if he's really stressing you out (or if his prejudice is going to directly damage your performance reviews or something) you can ask your boss to mediate.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Che Delilas posted:

You can ignore him, or if he's really stressing you out (or if his prejudice is going to directly damage your performance reviews or something) you can ask your boss to mediate.

I'll have to keep that card in mind over the next few weeks - my boss hand-picked everyone on the team, so we're all here for a purpose, whether That Guy likes it or not. Glad to know it's not just me!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Rhyos posted:

I'll have to keep that card in mind over the next few weeks - my boss hand-picked everyone on the team, so we're all here for a purpose, whether That Guy likes it or not. Glad to know it's not just me!

I'd be proactive about it. Go to your boss, let him know that you've tried to mediate with him directly and he refuses to budge. Get it documented, have your boss intervene now. Hostility in the work environment (especially from shitlords with an 'im better than you' mindset) should never be tolerated.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Inspector_666 posted:

Why can't you just blow away the existing 30 names and do an AD import?

What a reasonable question.

All 30 users have had weeks worth of work done on their profiles so they fit in the multi-tiered queue system and removing them would undo all that work.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

I think the guy working on this found something like that, but if he didn't I'll forward it onto him, thanks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There isn't a "My ISP sucks" thread that I know about, so I'm going to complain in here.

This is the third time I've contacted Verizon about my bill not being changed to reflect my new service in three months. I'm pretty pissed off right now.

quote:

Chat Subject:Upgrade/Change Existing Services
Your Question:My new service isn't reflected on my bill.
Thank you for your patience. A Verizon chat expert will be with you shortly.
Agent Christopher has joined. (21:49:30)
Christopher : Chat ID for this session is 03251643656. (21:49:30)
Christopher(21:49:30): Hello. Thank you for chatting with Verizon.
ME(21:49:42): My service was changed on Feb 25 to a different package - Master Order Number: NY00289579735 and my bill does not reflect this.
Christopher(21:49:52): Hello Bryan!
Christopher(21:49:57): Thank you for choosing Verizon and visiting our chat service. I would be happy to assist you with your question.
Christopher(21:50:27): Could you please share when is your bill generated?
ME(21:50:49): I received it just now
ME(21:51:06): Looks like it was generated March 21
ME(21:51:09): Account Number ending in: 609-0001
Total Amount Due: $187.92*
Your Payment Date: April 11, 2016
*Balance does not reflect payments received after March 21, 2016.
Christopher(21:53:15): I would like to share that as you have recently made the changes, it will reflect in your next bill as Verizon bills in advance for all services and products.
ME(21:53:43): The changes were made in february
ME(21:54:06): actually, they were made in December. They never applied correctly so someone had to go in and redo it and credit my account
Christopher(21:55:16): I'll be happy to help you. For security and protection of your account records, please provide the first and last name as it appears on your account, plus one of the following pieces of information:

* 4 - Digit Account Pin #
* Your Account Number
* Alternate or Mobile contact phone number on file
* Customer Code
ME(21:56:25): ME, ###-###-####, AccountNumber: ###-###-###-####-##
Christopher(21:56:55): Thank you for sharing the information with me.
Christopher(21:57:15): Could you please share the bill that you have received currently?
ME(21:58:07): PreviousPeriod
PreviousBalance 187.92
PaymentReceived - ThankYou -140.52 3/14
Adjustments andCredits -47.40
Balance Forward $.00
AccountSummary
Current Charges
Fios TV & Internet Bundle 137.99 3/22 - 4/21
AdditionalServices & Equipment 33.97 3/22 - 4/21
Fees & OtherCharges 15.96
Total Due byApril 15 $187.92
$187.92 will be deducted from your account on 4/11/2016.
ME(21:58:31): The credits were because they had to credit my account because it didn't go through the first time.
ME(21:59:28): And this is the third time I'm reaching out about my bill being wrong.
Christopher(22:01:14): I apologize for the inconvenience you had to face. I am checking the details on your account.
ME(22:02:01): Just so you have it, this is what I was expecting
ME(22:02:30): What to Expect on Your 03/21/16 Bill
Your first bill with these services will vary due to partial month charges, one-time charges and duration of promotional discounts.
03/21/16 Estimated Monthly Subtotal $123.96
Change in Service and Partial Month
Services Added (see detail) $76.65
Services Removed (see detail) -$163.29
Change in Service and Partial Month Subtotal -$86.64
One-Time Charges Subtotal $0.00
Estimated Bill Subtotal $37.32
Taxes, Fees and Other Verizon Charges (see detail) $4.19
ME(22:02:38): Regional Sports Network Fee $6.58
Fios TV Broadcast Fee $3.75
Estimated Bill $51.84
Glossary and Terms at verizon.com/billingglossary
ME(22:03:27): And this was the standard bill after that
ME(22:03:42): Estimated Monthly Charges
These estimates are not your actual bills, which will vary based on activation date, changes you make after the order, duration of promotional discounts, usage, balance, adjustments, or installments.
Services and Discounts Monthly Amount
New Double Play $99.99
Fios TV Preferred HD
Fios Internet 75/75
$5 Preferred HD TV Agreement Discount Included
$5 Agreement Discount Included
$25 Agreement Discount Included
Existing (Rent): HD Set-Top Box $8.99
Existing HBO $19.99
ME(22:04:01): Existing Premium Entertainment 50% Discount -$10.00
Existing (Rent): Cable Card $4.99
Estimated Monthly Subtotal $123.96
Taxes, Fees and Other Verizon Charges (see detail) $7.68
Regional Sports Network Fee $5.89
Fios TV Broadcast Fee $2.99
Estimated Monthly Charges $140.52
Christopher(22:04:26): Yes, I am checking with that.
ME(22:04:57): Thank you
Christopher(22:09:32): Thank you for your patience.
Christopher(22:13:27): I am still checking.
Christopher(22:17:47): Could you please confirm If the order was placed by a sales person on the phone?
ME(22:18:04): Yes it was
Christopher(22:19:09): Thank you for confirming.
Christopher(22:20:34): Please allow me a moment while I research your account.
Christopher(22:25:04): I have checked with the account details and I see that the order was not processed. The phone representative initiated the order. However, he couldn't complete the order.
Christopher(22:25:34): I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had to face in this regards. Let me assist you with the best options available to renew your services.
Christopher(22:28:25): I have not heard from you for a few moments. Would you like to continue this chat session?
ME(22:28:38): I was waiting for you to finish
Christopher(22:29:23): Thank you for confirming.
Christopher(22:29:44): I can assist you with renewing your services online and make sure that it is completed without any difficulty.
ME(22:30:59): Will it be the same as what I was told i would get?
Christopher(22:32:04): Let me check with the available options. Please allow me a moment.
Christopher(22:34:25): I would recommend you the Triple play bundle for $117.99/mo which includes Preferred HD, 75/75 Mbps plan with 2 year agreement.
ME(22:34:40): That is $18 more than what I ordered.
Christopher(22:37:30): Yes, I think I got that. Please allow me a moment.
Christopher(22:39:55): Just to be sure, the best number to reach you is "#" and your email address be "#@#.com", correct?
ME(22:40:04): Yes
Christopher(22:40:49): Okay, please review the preview email that I have sent. It includes the estimated monthly charges.
ME(22:42:33): That's still over $10 more a month, and doesn't say anything about fixing this month's bill.
Christopher(22:43:28): Bryan, this is the best pricing that I can get for your account and also can make sure that the order will be successfully placed.
ME(22:43:58): I want the order I already placed three months ago and again a month ago.
Christopher(22:49:53): I am afraid, it would not be possible to get an adjustment for the months of service that you have used. I would recommend you to get back to us during business hours, so that we can transfer you to the account specialist who can review the complete details and investigate further on this.
Christopher(22:52:44): However, at this moment I can go ahead and make the changes that you are looking for and make sure that it processes smoothly this time. Would you like to go ahead and renew your services?
ME(22:53:20): No, I would like to speak to a manager.
Christopher(22:57:35): I can understand what you must be going through at this moment.
Christopher(22:59:35): The best I can do for you is take your call back details and will forward it to our internal team to investigate the issue. We'll get back to you with the solution within next 3-5 business days.
ME(22:59:46): Please do that.
Christopher(22:59:52): May I have your contact number, preferred time to contact and email address, please?
ME(23:01:00): #, #@#.com, I'm normally available any time during the day.
Christopher(23:01:35): Thank you for providing requested information.
Christopher(23:02:50): I will forward it to our internal team and we'll get back to you within next 3-5 business days.
Christopher(23:02:56): I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

assbutt posted:

Christopher(22:39:55): Just to be sure, the best number to reach you is "#" and your email address be "#@#.com", correct?
ME(22:40:04): Yes
Christopher(22:59:52): May I have your contact number, preferred time to contact and email address, please?

gently caress you, Christopher, gently caress you.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Paladine_PSoT posted:

gently caress you, Christopher, gently caress you.

You can't expect them to remember something for 20 whole minutes. That's forever!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Prism posted:

You can't expect them to remember something for 20 whole minutes. That's forever!

I like to think that the chat app doesn't use persistent sessions, and only the last 3 lines of the convo are sent to the next agent in the queue.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Customer service for Verizon Business sucks too. We keep alerting them to a major issue that will affect the site in dramatic ways beyond mere lack of service if left unaddressed, and they keep closing the ticket without doing anything.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Verizon's online chat support is appallingly bad, and their billing system is even worse. The only chat they have that is decent is certain types of business chat support, since that's handled in my center by people I actually think are competent. Basically the entirety of their sales and billing teams are chucklefucks who I usually have to tell how to do their jobs.

My suggestion would be to call, make sure that you get someone who actually works for Verizon and not for a contractor, and then escalate to a supervisor or someone from there. On the sales team side of things, you will actually get a supervisor, since they got rid of the escalation teams in one of the recent reorganizations. They might actually be able to get this taken care of for you. Maybe. If you're lucky.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How do Dell's printers that are basically rebadged Xerox's have an admin web UI that is infinitely worse than Xerox's efforts? Like do they buy the printers with low level firmware and an API for writing a web UI and then ship development of the UI off to some offshore code shitfarm?

I know the answer is still going to be "gently caress printers" but my life would be slightly easier if this thing ran CentreWare vs whatever poo poo Dell have loaded onto it.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Thanks Ants posted:

How do Dell's printers that are basically rebadged Xerox's have an admin web UI that is infinitely worse than Xerox's efforts? Like do they buy the printers with low level firmware and an API for writing a web UI and then ship development of the UI off to some offshore code shitfarm?

I know the answer is still going to be "gently caress printers" but my life would be slightly easier if this thing ran CentreWare vs whatever poo poo Dell have loaded onto it.

Dell likes to throw their own firmware onto products. It's been beneficial in the Enterprise sphere but hell if I know about Printers. (I though they were rebadged Lexmarks anyways.)

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
gently caress you, sg3_utils.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lightning Jim posted:

Dell likes to throw their own firmware onto products. It's been beneficial in the Enterprise sphere but hell if I know about Printers. (I though they were rebadged Lexmarks anyways.)

Dell has been known to rebadge like 8 different brands of printers over their history. Seems like they just choose whoever will give them the best deal at the time.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

What's wrong with ubuntu LTS?

There was a pretty big discussion on this in the yospos sec fuckup thread a while ago. Basically LTS branch kernels aren't going to be supported for any length of time

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack#Kernel.2FSupport.LTS_Kernel_Support_Schedule

The 14.04.4 kernel, despite being on an LTS branch, will only be supported for 6 months. The 16.04.1 kernel won't get feature updates for any longer than the 14.04.5 kernel will.

Personally having worked on 12.04 LTS stuff I can say that at least some packages that rely on kernel drivers don't get updated to work on the latest kernel, meaning you either have to go off repo or use a kernel that isn't even getting security updates anymore.

Also there was some stuff about Ubuntu grabbing out of date packages from Debian repos for their repos and then relying on individual maintainers to port updated versions over.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Alighieri posted:

Exchange 2013 onwards can tell the file types inside a zip file and block accordingly. We set it to do that with .js files about a year ago and touch wood haven't had a single crypto mail reach a user

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Any competent AV scanner should be able to look inside archive files, and block password protected archives.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Collateral Damage posted:

Any competent AV scanner should be able to look inside archive files, and block password protected archives.

Which leads to hilarious results when trying to send confidential information. Can't email an encrypted file. Can't install Dropbox/Box/Sharefile. Won't accept enterprise-signed certificate for SFTP. Sooooo....?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

When I worked at a bank, if someone needed to send us encrypted info we would set up a transfer with the service of our choosing and IT oversight. It had to be set up 3 weeks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Ynglaur posted:

Which leads to hilarious results when trying to send confidential information. Can't email an encrypted file. Can't install Dropbox/Box/Sharefile. Won't accept enterprise-signed certificate for SFTP. Sooooo....?

Fax it! :suicide: